Is Patong A Cesspit?

Valentine

Those shophouses in Kata have never been rented. That road that goes down to Rick and Rolls and Red Snapper have been vacant a number of years now.

Actually if you take a look some of them are starting to be occupied. One bar went in, Calypso Divers is moving there, and a facade is being put across 3 of them in front of the Mon-Thurs market. Rick and I looked at getting two end shophouses and putting a pool between them a while ago as the hostel is bursting at seams. Plus now that we are also a dive resort we need more space, but they wanted silly key money and ridiculous rent. I am curious how long the new bar there will last. Although I have noticed already this year the foot traffic is picking up on that road now that the Beach Center and the Margaritas/Club Tropical complex is pretty much fully occupied. On the downside this has also brought in the taxi mafia who has moved their taxi rank further into the busy part of the road and is now taking up 75% of the parking during peak times.

NJ, what was the silly money they were asking for those shophouses? It would be nice to try and get an idea of Nanai vs Kata shophouse rates/rents for future prospective punters wanting to enter into the fray.

I don't recall. I'll see if Rick remembers and get back to you.

400k key money.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anybody has noticed, but a lot of building on the north end of Rat-U-Thit Road lately. I turned onto RUT from Phrabaramee Rd. this AM and saw many of the small one story buildings are gone and being rebuilt as 2 - 3 story guesthouses. Even have a 6-7 story TUNE hotel going in as well. The big muilt-story building opposite the Deli Supermarket also seems nearly finished.

This will just add to the water / sewage problems in Patong.

Those Tune hotels suck, I have never been in a "hotel room" smaller. I mean truly, a <deleted> closet.

Oh yea, and as a P.S., I would like to know what part of the Island NamKangMan lives on that gives him such a negative view of the whole island?

That there are degrees of "cess" what a load of <deleted>. Quite obviously the guys glass is half empty.

Patong.

Oh yea, and as a P.S., I would like to know what part of the Island NamKangMan lives on that gives him such a negative view of the whole island?

That there are degrees of "cess" what a load of <deleted>. Quite obviously the guys glass is half empty.

Patong.

Well,,,,,,,,,that explains it. Thanks SL.

@ madmitch

I know this thread is about Patong.

There is no difference between the "cess pit" of Patong and everywhere else on the island, in relation to the OP's specific observations. It's just more concentrated in Patong because Patong is the main tourist attraction of Phuket.

I gave some corresponding examples of the similarities, and their locations, in an earlier post.

Its certainly not a Cess Pit where we or are friends live and we live in different areas

If its a Cess pit where you live maybe its time to think about moving, there are lots of areas in Rawai and Chalong which are nice to live in also in Kata Karon but they are not near the entertainment areas

How's the infastructure where you live, Peter?

Do you have proper public transport where you live - can I jump into a metered taxi where you live?

Do you ever have electricity blackouts?

Is the town water always on and with good pressure?

How are the roads and traffic - any pot holes or negligent/incompetent drivers?

Does it flood anywhere down there during rainy season? Is there any stagnant water laying around?

What about your internet - is it always reliable and of decent speed?

Are there any prostitutes where you live?

What about the footpaths - can you walk on them, or it's safer to walk on the road?

Are there any sex tourist where you live?

Are there any dodgy characters living down there - farang or Thai?

How's the crime down there - any drug users, drug dealers, theives etc?

What about the rubbish removal - I hear it's pretty bad down there. Does it smell?

What about police - do you have hard working and honest police down there, or are they corrupt?

I could list quite a few more examples, but if any of these above "issues" exist where you live, sounds like you are living in a bit of a "cess pit." smile.pngsmile.png

All I'm saying Peter is the lack of capital input for the upgrading of critical infastructure on the island sees us all living in a bit of a "cess pit."

They want the extra tourist and expats and the money they bring in, but do not want to upgrade the infastructure to cater for them. This effects the livibility of the island for all of us.

Honestly mate which you should shut up and stop banging on the same song. We know you don't like it, no need to keep telling us every other post. Better yet don't post unless you have something non cesspit related to say.

I like living here. Phuket has a bright future. :) :) :) :)

Honestly mate which you should shut up and stop banging on the same song. We know you don't like it, no need to keep telling us every other post. Better yet don't post unless you have something non cesspit related to say.

Not only in every other post but in long verbose statements.

I had a look at the water show in Jungceylon last night. I thought it was great. If you don't like living here, you should move. :) :) :) :)

I live in Patong.

I can hear it now, "You live in Patong - that's not Phuket - that's not Thailand." :):)

I like living here. At least I can see it for what it is, and admit the place has "issues."

Are you saying the negatives I have mentioned do not exist where you live on the island???? If so, where is that? It sounds like heaven. Do you have taxis there? :) :) What, you don't have taxis - sounds a bit "cessy" to me. :) :)

I've just give up a business premises, the Thai owner openly admitted that she'd fell on hard times so had to put the rent up and ask for 70,000 key money a year, i really didn't waste my time reasoning with that logic and said fine were out of here, luckily a premises next to our original 2 places become available , so now we have 3 in a row, and now they are all knocked through and finished. but i didn't leave it at that with the Thai owner of the premises we were leaving, i said i'd be looking to get our original deposit back, everyone said as usual i'll never get it back, but i left the place after doing decorating, electrical repair work what the thai's had mucked up, better then what i had taken it, the Thai owner thanked me for making the place like new and did hand over the deposit. It's the usual story, the Thai owner puts up the rent, seeks key money and can't see that there property will stand empty for months, then years through there greed after you leave.

• Like 1

Not sure if anybody has noticed, but a lot of building on the north end of Rat-U-Thit Road lately. I turned onto RUT from Phrabaramee Rd. this AM and saw many of the small one story buildings are gone and being rebuilt as 2 - 3 story guesthouses. Even have a 6-7 story TUNE hotel going in as well. The big muilt-story building opposite the Deli Supermarket also seems nearly finished.

This will just add to the water / sewage problems in Patong.

Those Tune hotels suck, I have never been in a "hotel room" smaller. I mean truly, a <deleted> closet.

I stayed in a 2m by 1.5 m room in Japan once.

There is also the capsule rooms.4092234463_6cf012b788_o-thumb-550xauto-28244.jpg

Are you saying the negatives I have mentioned do not exist where you live on the island????

No, it's that as most of us are residents and you are just stating what is totally obvious..........again and again and again.

And then coming up with the ridiculous stock answer of "if you don't like it leave". My post was about observations of a night out in Patong with a simple question but iceman continues to belabour his superior inferior knowledge. The night in question when I took visitors to see the water show it was utter crap & totally unlike it was the twenty or so other times I have seen it.

I lived in Patong for a long time & thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I have watched it grow & go downhill which IMO started in the late 90s early 2000s although at that time there was still a chance for Patong if proper town planning had been put in place rather than the unfettered greed which rapidly flourished.

I was in Patong last night and Bangla still has a great atmosphere, though, the myriads of touts somewhat spoil the experience.

Lots of curious Asian tourists walking around, but, apart from the bars on Bangla proper, most bars off the road were completely empty.

Slow Loris's were still present, but, only three instead of the six I saw last week.

>>Most guesthouses on Nanai are for lease/rent, and there are many empty right now. Leases with key money are usually a max of 3 years, reason being that if over 3 years then the lease must be registered with the land office and most owners don't want that sort of government intrusion into their finances.

I'm not surprised many are empty as it would be almost impossible to turn a decent profit on 500-1000 baht rooms for only 3 years after paying key money and a hefty monthly rental, salary, electricity, internet etc. Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking when they ask for unreasonable rents to someone when they themselves would never accept such one-sided and non profitable terms.

It's all about "the dreamer" going broke early in their lease, the landlord keeping the lease money and key money, and then selling the lease to the next dreamer.

They are still building more accommodation and bars, thus everyone continuing to get an even thinner wedge of the pie, and it just goes on and on.

A prime example is, I went to book a room at The Expat Hotel in Patong for a friend last week. On that Soi, which is basically across from Bangla Road, they are building a two story complex of beer bars. It looks like it will have at least 40 new bars in the complex. So, the drinkers/sex tourist will be shared around even more in the near future and beer bars are already stuggling, so expect more to go broke.

70 bars apparently and a glass floor with sharks swimming about underneath your feet.

If it actually gets finished.

>>Most guesthouses on Nanai are for lease/rent, and there are many empty right now. Leases with key money are usually a max of 3 years, reason being that if over 3 years then the lease must be registered with the land office and most owners don't want that sort of government intrusion into their finances.

I'm not surprised many are empty as it would be almost impossible to turn a decent profit on 500-1000 baht rooms for only 3 years after paying key money and a hefty monthly rental, salary, electricity, internet etc. Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking when they ask for unreasonable rents to someone when they themselves would never accept such one-sided and non profitable terms.

It's all about "the dreamer" going broke early in their lease, the landlord keeping the lease money and key money, and then selling the lease to the next dreamer.

They are still building more accommodation and bars, thus everyone continuing to get an even thinner wedge of the pie, and it just goes on and on.

A prime example is, I went to book a room at The Expat Hotel in Patong for a friend last week. On that Soi, which is basically across from Bangla Road, they are building a two story complex of beer bars. It looks like it will have at least 40 new bars in the complex. So, the drinkers/sex tourist will be shared around even more in the near future and beer bars are already stuggling, so expect more to go broke.

70 bars apparently and a glass floor with sharks swimming about underneath your feet.

I went and had a closer look. Some of the plumbing pipe had been installed. I counted the outlets. Yes, looks more like 70 small bars.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "sharks" working in the bars. :) :)

I live in Patong.

I can hear it now, "You live in Patong - that's not Phuket - that's not Thailand." :):)

I like living here. At least I can see it for what it is, and admit the place has "issues."

Are you saying the negatives I have mentioned do not exist where you live on the island???? If so, where is that? It sounds like heaven. Do you have taxis there? :) :) What, you don't have taxis - sounds a bit "cessy" to me. :) :)

You live in Patong where you are certainly going to see more crime and corruption than anywhere else on the island

Where is your home country,not fantasy land i hope, there is crime and corruption in all countries to a varying extent but some people do not realize this because its hidden better

also more crime in some areas than others,entertainment areas in all countries attract crime and corruption

I live in Patong.

I can hear it now, "You live in Patong - that's not Phuket - that's not Thailand." smile.pngsmile.png

Are you saying the negatives I have mentioned do not exist where you live on the island???? If so, where is that? It sounds like heaven. Do you have taxis there? smile.pngsmile.png What, you don't have taxis - sounds a bit "cessy" to me. smile.pngsmile.png

You live in Patong where you are certainly going to see more crime and corruption than anywhere else on the island

Where is your home country,not fantasy land i hope, there is crime and corruption in all countries to a varying extent but some people do not realize this because its hidden better

also more crime in some areas than others,entertainment areas in all countries attract crime and corruption

Peter, you have singled out crime and corruption. In general, everywhere in the world, these are controlled, to varying degrees, by that country's police and judcial system. Are you telling me that where you live on the island you have a better police service and judicial system than those of us that live in Patong???? :):) I'm quite sure the BIB down your way take their "tea money" and are involved in other "activities" as they do in Patong.

In relation to corruption, a lot of it extends island wide, so that means if you live on Phuket, it effects you. Yes, you as well Peter. So, no proper public transport here, poor roads, rubbish removal etc effects people on the whole island. Sure, to varying degrees, but there is still an effect.

All my point is, there are certain things on Phuket that makes the place a bit of a "cess pit" for everyone, everywhere on the island.

In my opinion, it's the corruption that is seeing critical infastructure on the island overloaded or aging and is not being upgraded or maintained properly to cope with the demands put on it. That infastructure exists across the whole of Phuket, not just in Patong.

You can't tear down a few old shop houses and build a 6 story hotel with at least 60 rooms and not put extra pressure on the immediate infastructure in the area.

The question the OP asks is pretty subjective. Power blackouts do not bother me, but a tourist may not be happy with it and vow never to return to Phuket.

The things the OP mentioned do not bother, but he wasn't impressed and he lives on the island - you could imagine what the tourist would think.

You're right.

Patong is a cesspit - and the rest of the island is heading the same way. Many other tourist/expat areas are almost as bad.

But, more importantly Phuket needs to have a decent infrastructure. At the moment, it doesn't - although living in Rawai, we're lucky as the main road (Chalong - Rawai) is pretty good and v good once you get past the mini Tesco (or thereabouts).

The internet connection is rubbish (at least where I live), but at least the road is good. I used to live in an area the other side of Chalong Circle, and the main reason I HAD to move was the traffic on the other side of the circle.

Unfortunately, the smell is expanding. Soi Sai Nam Yen intersection near Subway / Rosco's Bar is bad now as well. We need more rain, I guess.

Cannot burn the stench gases away, why not light a cigarette from time to time over such a smelly drain? wink.png

http://www.ndhealth....guide final.pdf

"Explosion and/or Fire. Methane and hydrogen

sulfide are flammable and highly explosive. An

ignition source such as a spark from an

electrical appliance, turning on lights, matches

or a cigarette lighter can cause an explosion

and/or fire."

Edited by ALFREDO

Unfortunately, the smell is expanding. Soi Sai Nam Yen intersection near Subway / Rosco's Bar is bad now as well. We need more rain, I guess.

Cannot burn the stench gases away, why not light a cigarette from time to time over such a smelly drain? wink.png

http://www.ndhealth....guide final.pdf

"Explosion and/or Fire. Methane and hydrogen

sulfide are flammable and highly explosive. An

ignition source such as a spark from an

electrical appliance, turning on lights, matches

or a cigarette lighter can cause an explosion

and/or fire."

• Like 1

Sharks? Seriously? No. Can not.

I don't know what all the fuss is about - I too live in Patong!!!

-patongphil-

Niceblink.png traffic there in Patong, at late afternoon rush hours, from Kathu, the "East" and special from Kamala "North" arriving.

1 hour with a car stuck in traffic from Kamala coming on the outskirts from Patong at 5 - 7 PM in High season usual 2010/11.

Since than I was only with Motorbike cruising and drive threw the Phuket-Patong traffic same a hot knive threw butter.

A lot of butter, there is! tongue.png

But the traffic in the Southern half of Phuket is nevertheless annoying!

I know the island since 1990 and had never a year without visiting it or living there,

but I am disappointed about the still increasing over development!sad.png

Edited by ALFREDO