Is Patong A Cesspit?

Valentine

Was at the Rawai beachfront a few days ago. No smell whatsoever, in fact all i could smell was the sea breeze. Water was clean and clear too. No rubbish in the drink either. In fact i noticed all of Phuket to be very tidy this year.

Go there in the daytime when there is no breeze and walk among the street drain in front of the Shops

Very strong smell of raw sewerage where Jays restaurant used to be the other day

Agree, it does stink along the far end of the road nearer the Or Bo Tor's office, along with a few other places around Rawai. We never used to have storm drains, now people and restaurants just put sewer pipes going into the storm drains. Brilliant!

I would guess they do it because there are no dedicated sewer lines although that does not make it right.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the Rawai beachfront a few days ago. No smell whatsoever, in fact all i could smell was the sea breeze. Water was clean and clear too. No rubbish in the drink either. In fact i noticed all of Phuket to be very tidy this year.

Go there in the daytime when there is no breeze and walk among the street drain in front of the Shops

Very strong smell of raw sewerage where Jays restaurant used to be the other day

Agree, it does stink along the far end of the road nearer the Or Bo Tor's office, along with a few other places around Rawai. We never used to have storm drains, now people and restaurants just put sewer pipes going into the storm drains. Brilliant!

I would guess they do it because there are no dedicated sewer lines although that does not make it right.

Since there isn't a sewage treatment plant for a dedicated sewer line to run to, moot point. They need to use a septic tank like the rest of us.

Where do the storm drains flow to, the ocean. Enjoy your next swim. :)

They are still building more hotels, guest houses, villas, condo's, houses, bars, restaurants, resorts etc. The existing infastructure can not handle it now - it will only get worse in the future. What beach do you move to, construction is island wide. The issues of Patong are spreading across the island.

No one wants to pay for the infastructure to be maintained or upgraded. They have just done a bit of work to the electrical grid, but roads/traffic, waste water, tap water, storm water (flooding), rubbish removal, pedestrian walkways, internet etc all have to addressed, with the work carried out properly, not just "on the cheap."

Phuket is promoting itself as a "World Class Tourist Destination" targeting large numbers of tourist from emerging economies. Eg. Chinese, Russian, Indian. This will put even more strain on the ageing and failing infastructure here which will effect tourists and the tourism industry.

It's not just the scams, extortion and cheating. It's about going for a walk on a tropical island that you have paid money for a holiday to go to and smelling a sewer, or rolling your ankle, or waiting 10 minutes to cross a road, or being locked in your room due to flooding from poor drainage etc. A lot of these are regular occurences now, not just on a rare occassion.

For some, Patong/Phuket is already a cesspit, for others, it's not, but if things keep going at the rapid rate they are, with no upgrade to infastructure to cope with it, it doesn't matter where you live on the island, you'll be experiencing the same issues as those who live in Patong.

No sewage treatment plants either just settlement ponds in some areas

Its the same in all developing tourist destinations in Asia

Since no one pays annual rates to the local govt what more can you expect

I was at Patong with my wife and 3 kids the other day before lunch. Found nothing but immaculate beaches and friendly Thai's. I guess the <deleted> comes out at night but that doesnt mean its a cesspit.

Had a very enjoyable morning indeed.

Patong is not a cesspit but a very popular tourist destination

The street drains on the rawai beachfront stink of raw sewerage the same as patong

Its not that long ago that the Thames river in London was a open sewer

“Its not that long ago that the Thames river in London was a open sewer”

Hab hmmmmm….London sewers completed circa 1865….aye, only seems like yesterday….coffee1.gif

How long ago did the fish return to the Thames river???

I used to fish in the Thames in the 1970's and used to catch many fish such as Barbel, Roach, Perch, Gudgeon, Dace, Rudd, Bream and a few eels. Since then, the government spent a lot of money cleaning the river up. It actually won an award as one of the cleanest major rivers in Europe.

There is now more fish in the Thames than ever before. Believe it or not, salmon have now returned to the river.

Better pick another river PC.

If you want to pick a polluted river as an example, you could've used the King river in Australia. Very good example.

There are polluted rivers in all countries where was uncontrolled mining in the past

You can swim in any river in any Capitol city in Australia they all have fish in which you can catch and are safe to eat

as

Just wondering what a river in the UK (that isn't polluted) has got to do with storm drains in Phuket?

It was very polluted until recently in the history of London which is a ancient city

Give Phuket another 100 years and see how much pollution is here thenwai2.gif

It was the sewerage system and storm drains that polluted the Thames river

I thought you new that

Edited by petercallen

In another 100 years, I don't think I'll care.

Obviously you have no kids.

I care.

It would be good if the Thai officials here felt the same way, but it's the "money today, don't care about money tomorrow" attitude that is so short sighted for Phuket to be able to have a sustainable tourism industry for the future.

What are these Thai officials of today going to tell their grandchildren in the future, after they have exploited this island for it's short term gain????

I have found than when I don't really care of cesspit's and it's surroundings future, I feel much better.

I have found than when I don't really care of cesspit's and it's surroundings future, I feel much better.

It's not that bad, geez. Otherwise it wouldn't be one of the worlds top holiday destinations.

If you are from the ignorance is bliss camp then so be it.

Evil flourishes when people who see it do nothing about it.

I see it getting better not worse.

• Like 1

Raw sewage from human feces does not run into the storm drains in Thailand. Grey water from sinks and septic runoff after being treated, yes. Occasionally urine piped directly into klongs, such as pretty much any petrol station in Thailand, but feces runs through a septic system first.

Raw sewage from human feces does not run into the storm drains in Thailand. Grey water from sinks and septic runoff after being treated, yes. Occasionally urine piped directly into klongs, such as pretty much any petrol station in Thailand, but feces runs through a septic system first.

I didn't say it was "black water." But it stinks none the less...

Nanai is a dump today. Mud and dust everywhere on the roads. Cant see anything with trucks kicking it up. Shithole

Yip, it was like a desert storm, it looks like the recent rain has blocked all the drains on the main road behind jungcylon where they are laying new drainage and all other drains run into that one, the silt and sand was overflowing out all the drains and drying into hard big mounds, what do they repair first????, the main drain or all the arteries drains, but it's worse then ever, again when will they ever learn before hit-the-fan.gif

Nanai is a dump today. Mud and dust everywhere on the roads. Cant see anything with trucks kicking it up. Shithole

Yip, it was like a desert storm, it looks like the recent rain has blocked all the drains on the main road behind jungcylon where they are laying new drainage and all other drains run into that one, the silt and sand was overflowing out all the drains and drying into hard big mounds, what do they repair first????, the main drain or all the arteries drains, but it's worse then ever, again when will they ever learn before hit-the-fan.gif

After a decent rain, Soi Banzaan becomes Banzaan River, almost to the point you could white water raft down it. :) It has always been bad, but since a couple of huge construction sites have started on Nanai Road, all the drains, which struggled to cope in the first place, they get blocked with silt and now water is coming up over the gutter and sometimes into the guest houses/bars.

After a decent rain, Soi Banzaan becomes Banzaan River, almost to the point you could white water raft down it. smile.png It has always been bad, but since a couple of huge construction sites have started on Nanai Road, all the drains, which struggled to cope in the first place, they get blocked with silt and now water is coming up over the gutter and sometimes into the guest houses/bars.

And it backs up all the way to Patong Hospital which for many years has always been a bad flood point. Just gets worse with all the building development and zero improvement on drainage paths.

After a decent rain, Soi Banzaan becomes Banzaan River, almost to the point you could white water raft down it. smile.png It has always been bad, but since a couple of huge construction sites have started on Nanai Road, all the drains, which struggled to cope in the first place, they get blocked with silt and now water is coming up over the gutter and sometimes into the guest houses/bars.

And it backs up all the way to Patong Hospital which for many years has always been a bad flood point. Just gets worse with all the building development and zero improvement on drainage paths.

Those two construction sites I'm talking about are not small. I don't know how many rooms/apartments/condo's are going to be in each, but there will be a lot of soil that will be concreted over. That's going to catch a lot of rain water, an due to the fact these construction sites are on the side of a hill, that water is going to flow at speed.

I'm not a hydrologist, but you don't have to be to know there is going to be problems for those who are at the bottom of the hill, Nanai Road and Soi Banzaan.

Currently, motorbike riders can still get through when the water is up, but only just. Any more, and the water is over the bike's exhaust and then it will be flooded for the majority of transport in that area.

So, who is responsable for this, no one.

It's not that bad, geez. Otherwise it wouldn't be one of the worlds top holiday destinations.

If you are from the ignorance is bliss camp then so be it.

Evil flourishes when people who see it do nothing about it.

I see it getting better not worse.

It's pretty bad. I lived there seven years ago and don't go there at all now, even though I live in Rawai. Patong is getting worse, not better in my opinion.

• Like 1

The final straw for me when living on a small Soi off Prabaramee rd near the beach , was watching new guesthouses being built opposite.

The sewerage 'system' was to have toilet wastes go into large bulbous plastic tanks. I could guess they could be filled in high season in a week. These had inspection/service lids but were promptly buried under the buildings slab.

But they also had an outlet/overflow pipe.

When labourers started laying pipe across the Soi and connecting the overflows up to the slab covered storm water drain ( that often overflowed) in front of our place , it was time to move.

Fecal matter definately enters Patong Beach at the the Northern end , called Laem Phet , nowadays.

That end used to be very clean before.

when i stayed in patong i signed up for a tour in town and paid in advance. the guide came bright and early. i was to hung over so i did not answer the door.

the hotel owner unlocked the door and came in. me and the gf wake abruptly. he was watching through the chain/door crack. in a dreamy haze ii told him to go away and he argued demanded i get up and go on the tour. i eventually got the door shut, and that was that.

whats up?

phuket also #1 in aids cases for thailand.

Edited by jacktrip