Is Patong A Cesspit?

Valentine

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Asian tourist destinations are changing all of the time

usually not getting better but worse

Bali has changed a lot and we will not be returning prefer Phuket and other places in Thailand although not Bangla road

Interesting post Peter.

I agree that Asian tourist destinations are changing all of the time. I disagree that they are "all not getting better but worse." An obvious example is Burma. A big change for the positive there. Also, Vietnam, which is moving in the right direction at great speed.

What "indicators" will you set for Phuket for you to reach the point where you basically say, "Phuket is now like Bali and I don't like it and I am moving away." You mention Bali has changed and is not for you. You admit Phuket is changing, and for the worse.

What changes, or lack of change, would have to happen for you to leave the island, given that, by your own admission, it is getting worse.

Only in the tourist areas is it changing i love the area we live in and never intend to leave here

They need to do something about the rubbish removal service apart from that everything is fine

We have never been to Burma but intend to go there when the hotel situation

improves, they even have snow there believe it or not and my wife has always wanted to see snow

Edited by petercallen
  • Like 1

Iceman, my posting was about Patong, some observations I made when visiting there the other night & posing a question. It is not about what will be the tipping point for leaving Phuket or comparing Patong to other parts of the island so appreciate if you can stick to the topic & not derail it.

• Like 1

Iceman, my posting was about Patong, some observations I made when visiting there the other night & posing a question. It is not about what will be the tipping point for leaving Phuket or comparing Patong to other parts of the island so appreciate if you can stick to the topic & not derail it.

You missed my point, which is, the "observations" you made in Patong - are pretty much all over the whole island.

"Strolling down Bangla the stench emitting from the drains was awful & preposterous in the sense that the local authorities either do not care or seem oblivious to it which has been going on for years. Some drains were covered over in flattened cardboard which helped but is not really a solution." - This is just one example of neglect, incompetence or corruption. How many other examples are all over the island? Roads being a major one. What about water supply, electricity supply, storm water drainage, internet supply, lack of public transport, immigration at the airport etc - all failing infastructure.

You can't say you do not have these problems because you do not live in Patong. You mentioned the baby lorises - I could mention the the guy with his eagles down at the Kata View Point and the elephant trekking. They are not in Patong.

You mention the "pathetic" water show in Junceylon. There have been many negative comments about splash jungle - it's not in Patong.

I'm sure there are other drains that stink on Phuket, not just the ones in Patong.

You mentioned the police check point in Patong that stopped you. There has just been a long thread about a big police check point down in Karon. There are check points all over the island - not just in Patong.

Another member mentioned the lack of rubbish collection, and he does not live in Patong.

You may have been disappointed, maybe even disgusted in Patong - but there are some things that are island wide and I'm sure many tourist share your disappointment/disgust at many things/locations here, and not just Patong.

So, not "derailing" your thread - very much on topic.

To clarify, your question "Is Patong a cesspit?" Is this specifically in relation to the smell of sewage from the drains, or the sex trade and the abuse of animals?

If your question only relates to the smell from the drains, remember the below story?

http://www.phuketgaz...ticle10407.html

Yes, that was sewage being pumped into Kata and Karon Beach. Once again, many problems are island wide, not just Patong based.

I'd rather have to smell it, than swim in it. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

One can only wonder what many tourists think when they buy a holiday to a place that is promoted as a "World Class Tourist Destination" and they can't even hire an air conditioned taxi to take them to a restaurant for dinner.

Edited by NamKangMan

I've never heard of the police taking photos of drivers in cars. Did they try to sell you the photo? smile.pngsmile.png Seriously, did you ask some questions about this?

with some visitors

No name sticker on the side! Next time, they check, if he drives around with the same friends.

clap2.gif

I've never heard of the police taking photos of drivers in cars. Did they try to sell you the photo? smile.pngsmile.png Seriously, did you ask some questions about this?

with some visitors

No name sticker on the side! Next time, they check, if he drives around with the same friends.

clap2.gif

If he's driving around with the same friends all the time, that's probably not so bad. However, if he always has different friends - that could mean a farang black taxi driver with no work permit, now that is big baht to make go away. :) :)

I met two tourists last week and asked them where they were staying. It was a guest house on the fringe of Patong. Too far to comfortably walk to Bangla Road, and just far enough to ensure you will be ripped off for a tuk-tuk. I asked them how they were getting to Bangla Road every night. They stated the owner of the guest house, a farang, is "driving" them in every night in his car, and one of the night staff, a Thai, is picking them up, in the same car, when they want to go home, at any time of the night/morning.

I wonder how long before either one of them are pulled out of their car and beaten up. Having said that, some members on here have reported picking up their guests from the airport and never having a problem.

I wonder how long before either one of them are pulled out of their car and beaten up. Having said that, some members on here have reported picking up their guests from the airport and never having a problem.

Things got changed there, too. This member is trying to change the registration of the company car, to a green plate, now. Also starting with new business in Burma.

Things got changed there, too. This member is trying to change the registration of the company car, to a green plate, now. Also starting with new business in Burma.

the worst about patong,is 3 am,you are walking home,kebab in hand,and just as you take that big bite,you walk over a drain,inhale,and get the full works,thank god for extra mustard.

You missed my point, which is, the "observations" you made in Patong - are pretty much all over the whole island.

"Strolling down Bangla the stench emitting from the drains was awful & preposterous in the sense that the local authorities either do not care or seem oblivious to it which has been going on for years. Some drains were covered over in flattened cardboard which helped but is not really a solution." - This is just one example of neglect, incompetence or corruption. How many other examples are all over the island? Roads being a major one. What about water supply, electricity supply, storm water drainage, internet supply, lack of public transport, immigration at the airport etc - all failing infastructure.

You can't say you do not have these problems because you do not live in Patong. You mentioned the baby lorises - I could mention the the guy with his eagles down at the Kata View Point and the elephant trekking. They are not in Patong.

You mention the "pathetic" water show in Junceylon. There have been many negative comments about splash jungle - it's not in Patong.

I'm sure there are other drains that stink on Phuket, not just the ones in Patong.

You mentioned the police check point in Patong that stopped you. There has just been a long thread about a big police check point down in Karon. There are check points all over the island - not just in Patong.

Another member mentioned the lack of rubbish collection, and he does not live in Patong.

You may have been disappointed, maybe even disgusted in Patong - but there are some things that are island wide and I'm sure many tourist share your disappointment/disgust at many things/locations here, and not just Patong.

To clarify, your question "Is Patong a cesspit?" Is this specifically in relation to the smell of sewage from the drains, or the sex trade and the abuse of animals?

If your question only relates to the smell from the drains, remember the below story?

Yes, that was sewage being pumped into Kata and Karon Beach. Once again, many problems are island wide, not just Patong based.

I'd rather have to smell it, than swim in it. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

One can only wonder what many tourists think when they buy a holiday to a place that is promoted as a "World Class Tourist Destination" and they can't even hire an air conditioned taxi to take them to a restaurant for dinner.

I beg to differ. My question is rhetorical & based on my observations not just last Saturday but all the time I have lived here. But it is about Patong, not Kata, not Karon, not Chalong, not the view point or anywhere else. It has nothing to do with the thread on police checkpoint in Karon. I mentioned the one in Patong purely as an aside because I found it unusual they took a photo, did not ask for licence or look like they were geared up for breath checks. Not sure if I can make it more clearer than this. From my point of view Patong has degenerated considerably & has been on a downward slope for a long time. Others may call this progress.

• Like 1

I beg to differ. My question is rhetorical & based on my observations not just last Saturday but all the time I have lived here. But it is about Patong, not Kata, not Karon, not Chalong, not the view point or anywhere else. It has nothing to do with the thread on police checkpoint in Karon. I mentioned the one in Patong purely as an aside because I found it unusual they took a photo, did not ask for licence or look like they were geared up for breath checks. Not sure if I can make it more clearer than this. From my point of view Patong has degenerated considerably & has been on a downward slope for a long time. Others may call this progress.

I don't think I can make it much clearly either.

Patong just has more concentration of everything on Phuket, and I gave similar examples in other locations on the island.

Everywhere else on Phuket is "same same" as Patong, it's just Patong and Bangla Road are a tourist attraction in their own right.

The observations you made of Patong, you will make the same observations elsewhere on the island. Just open your eyes. Patong is not a different provence of Phuket. :)

Next thing you will be saying there is no prostitution in Kata, Karon and Rawai. :) :) :) :)

I agree with your opinion that Phuket has degenerated, but, in my opinion, the whole island is degenerating. Money that should be spent on critical infastructure is being diverted into the pockets of those in power.

If we believe TAT, and tourist numbers here are increasing considerably, where is the corresponding increase in expenditure on infastructure. There doesn't appear to be any.

Those drains are just going to get more blocked as more hotels are built, but the waste water treatment centre, and associated piping, is not upgraded to cater for the extra load. Another example, when you concrete over all the soil, where is all the extra drainage and retention pits - there are none. So, expect more flooding.

Everyone wants the tourists and their money, but nobody wants to spend on infastructure, safety and essential services. All this equals "degeneration" - over the whole island, not just Patong.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Patong just has more concentration of everything on Phuket, and I gave similar examples in other locations on the island.

Everywhere else on Phuket is "same same" as Patong, it's just Patong and Bangla Road are a tourist attraction in their own right.

The observations you made of Patong, you will make the same observations elsewhere on the island. Just open your eyes. Patong is not a different provence of Phuket. smile.png

Next thing you will be saying there is no prostitution in Kata, Karon and Rawai. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I agree with your opinion that Phuket has degenerated, but, in my opinion, the whole island is degenerating. Money that should be spent on critical infastructure is being diverted into the pockets of those in power.

If we believe TAT, and tourist numbers here are increasing considerably, where is the corresponding increase in expenditure on infastructure. There doesn't appear to be any.

Those drains are just going to get more blocked as more hotels are built, but the waste water treatment centre, and associated piping, is not upgraded to cater for the extra load. Another example, when you concrete over all the soil, where is all the extra drainage and retention pits - there are none. So, expect more flooding.

Everyone wants the tourists and their money, but nobody wants to spend on infastructure, safety and essential services. All this equals "degeneration" - over the whole island, not just Patong.

<deleted>. I am not blind, I know what the rest of the island looks like. The thread is about Patong. You do this on just about every thread you get involved in, up on your know it all high horse with your long convoluted ramblings trying to show everyone you are the master of all knowledge about Phuket but you are not & nor am I.

• Like 2

The observations you made of Patong, you will make the same observations elsewhere on the island. Just open your eyes. Patong is not a different provence of Phuket. smile.png

Next thing you will be saying there is no prostitution in Kata, Karon and Rawai. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

<deleted>. I am not blind, I know what the rest of the island looks like. The thread is about Patong. You do this on just about every thread you get involved in, up on your know it all high horse with your long convoluted ramblings trying to show everyone you are the master of all knowledge about Phuket but you are not & nor am I.

So, the drain pipes smell on Bangla Road - WOW - I'm shocked, I never knew this. When did this happen? smile.png

Hey, did you hear about this new scam going around - Timeshare? smile.png

Seriously, I accept your critique of a night out in Patong, but it's really not much better anywhere else on the island, in relation to your specific observations.

Edited by NamKangMan

the worst about patong,is 3 am,you are walking home,kebab in hand,and just as you take that big bite,you walk over a drain,inhale,and get the full works,thank god for extra mustard.

Too much chilli on that kebab and you will be contributing to the smell coming out of the drains the next day. :) :) :) :)

If you really think Phuket is such a terrible place why to you live here if you do??

So i mentioned rubbish collection since the govt does not own the roads its understandable

All that has to happen is the private road owns hand them over to the local govt and the problem would be solved

Edited by petercallen

The problem is that most of us have seen what Patong was like years ago and compare today's Patong with our image of Patong as it was; usually unfavourably.

For most tourists, it's their first time there, so, they have no preconceptions.

You would be surprised how many visit the place and then vow to come back, either for another holiday, or, to permanently move there.

My first visit to Thailand was in 2000 i did'nt know much about the place apart from it used to be called Saim i landed in Phuket booked a hotel at the airport they suggested Patong so off we went there was 4 of us we had been working in China so we thought we would have a quick look at the place before we went home it just happened to be Songkran and i must say from what i can remember we had a fantastic time so i thought i would go back again and have another look which has led to A marriage to a little diamond, A house and of course many more visit's as i am still working in the Uk and of course since then Patong has changed for the better and worse for me the better is still worth staying there I dont need a tuk tuk or a jet ski or Bangla rd so for me they dont exist it has great shops that are still a lot cheaper than the uk as is the standard of living i can get for the money.

Now this year my wifes long time best friend who now lives in Australia and is married to a Australian who she met there when she worked there as a spa Manager for a big hotel group came home to see her Family who live in Phuket town bringing her husband with her and of course they came to see us at our house i had never met him this being his 2nd visit to Phuket the first one to get married in Thailand which all took place in Phuket Town and then they returned to OZ so he had never been to Patong and he wanted to see Bangla Rd so of course we all went there on the night he wanted to go everywhere we even went into the Russian go go bar (250b singha beer ) well he thought the whole place was fantastic and i forgot to mention he is handsome 24 yrs young man now i myself was glad when he had seen it all but he loved the place and so will many other's.

Cess pit or not it will last for years.

I look forward to your next thread...How I lost the lot to my Thai wife!

I presently have friends visitjng from England staying in Patong,some I have not seen for a good few years.We went to Bangla and took in the regular stop off places.U2 bar was a regular place to drink,after about 8-10 of us sat down I counted 30 odd empty seats at 1pm moved onto Soi Crocodile where some friends run a bar abolutely dead.I really believe the day of the Soi,s Gonzo,Crocodile,Sea Dragon even Soi Eric are numbered.

!.Bad Attitude(buy me a drink or I am not going to talk to you)

2.Overcharging (for drinks you have not ordered)

3.The original patrons of these bars ,mostly European are down in numbers and those that are here are reducing their stay by up to 50% due to currency exchange rates.

$.The owners of these bars are are having to push up their prices due to excessive rent increases(just ask some of the owners In Soi Eric for example)

All of the above are negative as to the future of these type of bars.

Sorry to be a kill joy but thas how I perceive the future of Bangla as we know it.

If you really think Phuket is such a terrible place why to you live here if you do??

So i mentioned rubbish collection since the govt does not own the roads its understandable

All that has to happen is the private road owns hand them over to the local govt and the problem would be solved

I am still living here because, currently, there is not enough "cess" in the "pit" to cause me to leave. smile.png However, as you mentioned, it is getting worse, so, when the "cess pit" is full enough for me - I will leave.

Some people have a lower tolerance of "cess" and have already left, others have a high tolerance of "cess" and will be here for years to come, but, in my opinion, the "cess" is rising rapidly on Phuket. smile.png

I remember when Pattaya was the "cess pit" of Thailand and Phuket was nice. Many believe Phuket has just become a smaller version of Pattaya, hence many calling Phuket - Pattaya 2.

The point I am trying to make is, it doesn't matter where you live on the island, there are certain negative things that impact us all here on Phuket, and I named a few. Eg. crime, prostitution, sewage from drains, lack of transport, poor condition of roads etc.

These are all examples of the lack of infastructure and corruption here that effects us all, not just those living in Patong. Thus, this ensures we are all living in an amount of "cess" here - sure, some more than others, but there's some "cess" you can't escape living in here and it doesn't matter where you live on the island - you gave your example of rubbish removal that could be fixed, should be fixed, but never will be fixed - just like many other things here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Not sure if anybody has noticed, but a lot of building on the north end of Rat-U-Thit Road lately. I turned onto RUT from Phrabaramee Rd. this AM and saw many of the small one story buildings are gone and being rebuilt as 2 - 3 story guesthouses. Even have a 6-7 story TUNE hotel going in as well. The big muilt-story building opposite the Deli Supermarket also seems nearly finished.

This will just add to the water / sewage problems in Patong.

Not sure if anybody has noticed, but a lot of building on the north end of Rat-U-Thit Road lately. I turned onto RUT from Phrabaramee Rd. this AM and saw many of the small one story buildings are gone and being rebuilt as 2 - 3 story guesthouses. Even have a 6-7 story TUNE hotel going in as well. The big muilt-story building opposite the Deli Supermarket also seems nearly finished.

Land prices in Patong have got to the stage where single storey buildings are just not economically viable anymore.

Land prices in Patong have got to the stage where single storey buildings are just not economically viable anymore.

Over the years on Nanai Road I have witnessed simple single floor building knocked down for 2 or 3 floor building and just a few years later knocked down again for 4 or 5 floor buildings. Look at many of the new buildings on the new Jungceylon Road with an extra floor added on immediately occupied. And yes, it will all just make the infrastructure much worse - electric/water/drains/sewage.

Over the years on Nanai Road I have witnessed simple single floor building knocked down for 2 or 3 floor building and just a few years later knocked down again for 4 or 5 floor buildings. Look at many of the new buildings on the new Jungceylon Road with an extra floor added on immediately occupied. And yes, it will all just make the infrastructure much worse - electric/water/drains/sewage.

Patong is not the only location on the island where a lot of construction is taking place. It's happening everywhere.

There is no upgrade to the infastructure to handle the extra load, so, traffic/roads, electric supply, water supply, internet reliability/speed, storm water drainage/retention, sewage treatment, rubbish removal/destruction and possibly medical treatment will all be put under more pressure - pressure which they are currently not handling, so I suspect livability will get worse here until major improvements are made.

This critical infastructure effects everyone, island wide, not just those in Patong.

Patong is not the only location on the island where a lot of construction is taking place. It's happening everywhere.

There is no upgrade to the infastructure to handle the extra load, so, traffic/roads, electric supply, water supply, internet reliability/speed, storm water drainage/retention, sewage treatment, rubbish removal/destruction and possibly medical treatment will all be put under more pressure - pressure which they are currently not handling, so I suspect livability will get worse here until major improvements are made.

This critical infastructure effects everyone, island wide, not just those in Patong.

But this thread is about Patong so no one is interested in your observations about other parts of the island.

(only joking, completely agree with you.)

Well said, the amount of new build i've witnessed in 10 years has been dramatic, just relating it to Na Nai road it should look fantastic/ stunning, but in reality it looks crap, disjointed, nothing is uniform, i know people will be saying "thats why we like it here" but if the real figure ever come out at whats been put into Na nai road, it should look a lot better, is Patong a cesspit ?????, i really don't know, in regards to what!!, buildings, food, entertainment, sex trade, people, which one or ones do you take away for that tag to be lifted. coffee1.gif