Is Patong A Cesspit?

Valentine

@ madmitch

I know this thread is about Patong.

There is no difference between the "cess pit" of Patong and everywhere else on the island, in relation to the OP's specific observations. It's just more concentrated in Patong because Patong is the main tourist attraction of Phuket.

I gave some corresponding examples of the similarities, and their locations, in an earlier post.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ madmitch

There is no difference between the "cess pit" of Patong and everywhere else on the island,

As you incessantly keep banging on about.

Here's a small hint. We get it.

Sheesh......talk about stating the bleedin' obvious......

Edited by KarenBravo

@ madmitch

There is no difference between the "cess pit" of Patong and everywhere else on the island, in relation to the OP's specific observations. It's just more concentrated in Patong because Patong is the main tourist attraction of Phuket.

I gave some corresponding examples of the similarities, and their locations, in an earlier post.

Last time I try irony on the IceMan. I thought the bit in brackets might have given it away.

• Like 1

@ madmitch

Last time I try irony on the IceMan. I thought the bit in brackets might have given it away.

I think it's the stench from the drains, it's making me high. :) :) Apologies to you and KB.

Get rid of all the old buildings bring in the new thats what i say.

It's starting to happen in Burma already and it happened in Singapore with the old Chinatown then they build't a new old Chinatown it's progress we wont stop it.

SHAME

>>Land prices in Patong have got to the stage where single storey buildings are just not economically viable anymore.

What are new shophouses selling for back on Nanai with road frontage? Are there any for sale, or are most for a rental period with key money? Looking on bahtsold there seems to be a precedence of 5-7 year rentals for "guesthouses". How much is land selling for on Nanai these days?

Get rid of all the old buildings bring in the new thats what i say.

It's starting to happen in Burma already and it happened in Singapore with the old Chinatown then they build't a new old Chinatown it's progress we wont stop it.

SHAME

Well, they are doing that, there's a lot of new construction happening on Phuket, but, like LIK says, where there used to be a single story building with a few people in it, there is now a 5 story building with 30 extra toilets, showers, at least 150 extra light/power switches, 30 extra air-conditioners and fridges, 5 extra internet modems and extra traffic from the staff and tourist in the building.

However, there is no upgrade to the sewer pipe carrying waste water away from the building, no upgrade/maintainence to the road out the front of the building, no upgrade to the electrical grid, no upgrade to internet servers, no upgrade to town water supply, no upgrade to "grey water" treatment. This effects the livibility for everyone in the area and it happening island wide.

They want the tourist income and profits, but do not want the expense of the critical infastructure that should go with it.

Edited by NamKangMan

>>Land prices in Patong have got to the stage where single storey buildings are just not economically viable anymore.

What are new shophouses selling for back on Nanai with road frontage? Are there any for sale, or are most for a rental period with key money? Looking on bahtsold there seems to be a precedence of 5-7 year rentals for "guesthouses". How much is land selling for on Nanai these days?

Most guesthouses on Nanai are for lease/rent, and there are many empty right now. I know a couple for freehold sale, big money and not selling. Leases with key money are usually a max of 3 years, reason being that if over 3 years then the lease must be registered with the land office and most owners don't want that sort of government intrusion into their finances. Land price on Nanai -good question. Off Nanai land asking price about 15,000 baht sq m last time I checked. No one admits what they actually sold for.

@ madmitch

Its certainly not a Cess Pit where we or are friends live and we live in different areas

If its a Cess pit where you live maybe its time to think about moving, there are lots of areas in Rawai and Chalong which are nice to live in also in Kata Karon but they are not near the entertainment areas

@ madmitch

Its certainly not a Cess Pit where we or are friends live and we live in different areas

If its a Cess pit where you live maybe its time to think about moving, there are lots of areas in Rawai and Chalong which are nice to live in also in Kata Karon but they are not near the entertainment areas

How's the infastructure where you live, Peter?

Do you have proper public transport where you live - can I jump into a metered taxi where you live?

Do you ever have electricity blackouts?

Is the town water always on and with good pressure?

How are the roads and traffic - any pot holes or negligent/incompetent drivers?

Does it flood anywhere down there during rainy season? Is there any stagnant water laying around?

What about your internet - is it always reliable and of decent speed?

Are there any prostitutes where you live?

What about the footpaths - can you walk on them, or it's safer to walk on the road?

Are there any sex tourist where you live?

Are there any dodgy characters living down there - farang or Thai?

How's the crime down there - any drug users, drug dealers, theives etc?

What about the rubbish removal - I hear it's pretty bad down there. Does it smell?

What about police - do you have hard working and honest police down there, or are they corrupt?

I could list quite a few more examples, but if any of these above "issues" exist where you live, sounds like you are living in a bit of a "cess pit." smile.pngsmile.png

All I'm saying Peter is the lack of capital input for the upgrading of critical infastructure on the island sees us all living in a bit of a "cess pit."

They want the extra tourist and expats and the money they bring in, but do not want to upgrade the infastructure to cater for them. This effects the livibility of the island for all of us.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ madmitch

Do you have proper public transport where you live - can I jump into a metered taxi where you live?

Does it flood anywhere down there during rainy season?

What about the rubbish removal - I hear it's pretty bad down there. Does it smell?

What about police - do you have hard working and honest police down there, or are they corrupt?

I could list quite a few more examples, but if any of these above "issues" exist where you live, sounds like you are living in a bit of a "cess pit." smile.pngsmile.png

All I'm saying Peter is the lack of capital input for the upgrading of critical infastructure on the island sees us all living in a bit of a "cess pit."

They want the extra tourist and the money they bring in, bt do not want to upgrade the infastructure to cater for them. This effects the livibility of the island for all of us.

Infastructure is excellent

Public transport we only use when going to the airport and that is about twice a year

Rarely have blackouts and when we do only about a hour

Town water rarely not available and it does not effect us we have 2 storage tanks that hold 5300 litres and never run out of water

Occasional flooding on the road only after very heavy rain and it clears in a hour

Excellent wide roads where we live well made with no potholes

Internet good and when it breaks down on the odd accasion is fixed emediatley

No ther are not any protitutes where we live

Sex tourists i do not think so all couples or families

Rubbish removal is not good as i have said before so why are you carrying on about that, its probably as good as anywhere else on the island

Some crime down here like everywhere but it has not effected us in any way

And so on we are happy living where we do and are not interested in moving like a lot of other people

Its you who have all the complaints about everyone and everything so why do you live here with your attitude shift to Langkawi

>>Most guesthouses on Nanai are for lease/rent, and there are many empty right now. Leases with key money are usually a max of 3 years, reason being that if over 3 years then the lease must be registered with the land office and most owners don't want that sort of government intrusion into their finances.

I'm not surprised many are empty as it would be almost impossible to turn a decent profit on 500-1000 baht rooms for only 3 years after paying key money and a hefty monthly rental, salary, electricity, internet etc. Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking when they ask for unreasonable rents to someone when they themselves would never accept such one-sided and non profitable terms.

@ madmitch

Does it flood anywhere down there during rainy season?

They want the extra tourist and the money they bring in, bt do not want to upgrade the infastructure to cater for them. This effects the livibility of the island for all of us.

Infastructure is excellent

Public transport we only use when going to the airport and that is about twice a year

Rarely have blackouts and when we do only about a hour

Town water rarely not available and it does not effect us we have 2 storage tanks that hold 5300 litres and never run out of water

Occasional flooding on the road only after very heavy rain and it clears in a hour

Excellent wide roads where we live well made with no potholes

Internet good and when it breaks down on the odd accasion is fixed emediatley

No ther are not any protitutes where we live

Sex tourists i do not think so all couples or families

Rubbish removal is not good as i have said before so why are you carrying on about that, its probably as good as anywhere else on the island

Some crime down here like everywhere but it has not effected us in any way

And so on we are happy living where we do and are not interested in moving like a lot of other people

Its you who have all the complaints about everyone and everything so why do you live here with your attitude shift to Langkawi

I still like living here Peter, but who knows in 5 years time. Like you said, it's getting worse - you did say that, didn't you Peter???? Maybe you can tell me what is getting worse where you live?

Your post is pretty contradictory. You have most of the the negatives where you live - but as it doesn't effect you, you do not consider yourself to be living in a "cess pit." What if those negatives effected your neighbour, are they living in a "cess pit?" It's pretty subjective, isn't it? :) :)

I can tolerate a hell of a lot of "cess" - all of the above listed issues do not really bother me, although the lack of proper transport here really p*sses me off, but at least I can admit I am living in the Phuket "pit" and there is an amount of "cess" here that none of us who chose to live here can escape, and in your own words Peter, it's getting worse. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

>>Most guesthouses on Nanai are for lease/rent, and there are many empty right now. Leases with key money are usually a max of 3 years, reason being that if over 3 years then the lease must be registered with the land office and most owners don't want that sort of government intrusion into their finances.

I'm not surprised many are empty as it would be almost impossible to turn a decent profit on 500-1000 baht rooms for only 3 years after paying key money and a hefty monthly rental, salary, electricity, internet etc. Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking when they ask for unreasonable rents to someone when they themselves would never accept such one-sided and non profitable terms.

Because somebody will accept it and pay the key money. Then after a year they realise they can't make it, and the place becomes empty again so again key money can be collected.

I know a shophouse in Kata which came up for rent after being constructed a few years back. Went there to check it out, and after some thinking came to the conclusion that within one year they would have recovered all their investment on keymoney and rent. That includes land, building, etc. And quite a few of the shops in that building have turned over a few times already in the y\few years that have passed.

• Like 1

It's all about "the dreamer" going broke early in their lease, the landlord keeping the lease money and key money, and then selling the lease to the next dreamer.

They are still building more accommodation and bars, thus everyone continuing to get an even thinner wedge of the pie, and it just goes on and on.

A prime example is, I went to book a room at The Expat Hotel in Patong for a friend last week. On that Soi, which is basically across from Bangla Road, they are building a two story complex of beer bars. It looks like it will have at least 40 new bars in the complex. So, the drinkers/sex tourist will be shared around even more in the near future and beer bars are already stuggling, so expect more to go broke.

Edited by NamKangMan

It's all about "the dreamer" going broke early in their lease, the landlord keeping the lease money and key money, and then selling the lease to the next dreamer.

They are still building more accommodation and bars, thus everyone continuing to get an even thinner wedge of the pie, and it just goes on and on.

A prime example is, I went to book a room at The Expat Hotel in Patong for a friend last week. On that Soi, which is basically across from Bangla Road, they are building a two story complex of beer bars. It looks like it will have at least 40 new bars in the complex. So, the drinkers/sex tourist will be shared around even more in the near future and beer bars are already stuggling, so expect more to go broke.

This has been a successful model for the major leaseholders of prime land for bars when a punter comes in and pays key money and signs a 3 year lease, only to leave with his tail between his legs one month after high season finishes. Now for the last few years this business model has carried over to shophouses, but at some point when there are 50 empty shophouses in one area ( think all those empty ones on the corner in kata) you would think the landowner/master lease holder would want to get something back. Decaying empty shophouses really aren't an appreciating asset given the fact that next door new shophouses will be built.

This has been a successful model for the major leaseholders of prime land for bars when a punter comes in and pays key money and signs a 3 year lease, only to leave with his tail between his legs one month after high season finishes. Now for the last few years this business model has carried over to shophouses, but at some point when there are 50 empty shophouses in one area ( think all those empty ones on the corner in kata) you would think the landowner/master lease holder would want to get something back. Decaying empty shophouses really aren't an appreciating asset given the fact that next door new shophouses will be built.

They don't care because over the past few years they have already made plenty of money from those shophouses. If they don't rent in 2-3 years they'll tear them down and start all over again. And since they already own the land they'll have their investment back as soon as 2-3 lease holders have paid their key money.

They don't care because over the past few years they have already made plenty of money from those shophouses. If they don't rent in 2-3 years they'll tear them down and start all over again. And since they already own the land they'll have their investment back as soon as 2-3 lease holders have paid their key money.

Those shophouses in Kata have never been rented. That road that goes down to Rick and Rolls and Red Snapper have been vacant a number of years now.

You know the Thai owners business model - if you are losing money then charge more to make up the 'loss'. So don't expect an empty shophouse to rent cheap, expect it to cost more if empty for a few months.

Those shophouses in Kata have never been rented. That road that goes down to Rick and Rolls and Red Snapper have been vacant a number of years now.

Ok, now you're talking specific shophouses, I was talking the general principle.

Up by Soi Katoey the guys with the baby lorises were out in force after the big fanfare of just a few days ago of their arrest. Yes, they are really cute but to me they looked frightened & regardless, they should be with their mothers not being exploited by some money grubbing cretins.

Unfortunately the mothers are dead. They are killed by the people that capture them so they can more easily get to the babies.

I expect some more arrests this week. Hopefully, with enough arrests, it will eventually no longer be profitable for them.

• Like 2

Actually if you take a look some of them are starting to be occupied. One bar went in, Calypso Divers is moving there, and a facade is being put across 3 of them in front of the Mon-Thurs market. Rick and I looked at getting two end shophouses and putting a pool between them a while ago as the hostel is bursting at seams. Plus now that we are also a dive resort we need more space, but they wanted silly key money and ridiculous rent. I am curious how long the new bar there will last. Although I have noticed already this year the foot traffic is picking up on that road now that the Beach Center and the Margaritas/Club Tropical complex is pretty much fully occupied. On the downside this has also brought in the taxi mafia who has moved their taxi rank further into the busy part of the road and is now taking up 75% of the parking during peak times.

Edited by NomadJoe

Actually if you take a look some of them are starting to be occupied. One bar went in, Calypso Divers is moving there, and a facade is being put across 3 of them in front of the Mon-Thurs market. Rick and I looked at getting two end shophouses and putting a pool between them a while ago as the hostel is bursting at seams. Plus now that we are also a dive resort we need more space, but they wanted silly key money and ridiculous rent. I am curious how long the new bar there will last. Although I have noticed already this year the foot traffic is picking up on that road now that the Beach Center and the Margaritas/Club Tropical complex is pretty much fully occupied. On the downside this has also brought in the taxi mafia who has moved their taxi rank further into the busy part of the road and is now taking up 75% of the parking during peak times.

NJ, what was the silly money they were asking for those shophouses? It would be nice to try and get an idea of Nanai vs Kata shophouse rates/rents for future prospective punters wanting to enter into the fray.

NJ, what was the silly money they were asking for those shophouses? It would be nice to try and get an idea of Nanai vs Kata shophouse rates/rents for future prospective punters wanting to enter into the fray.

I don't recall. I'll see if Rick remembers and get back to you.

You are spot on there i tried a guesthse for 3years in Nanai rd we worked hard we where cheap i lost big money the 1st year looked good we had bookings and walk in's by the high season in the 2nd year had bookings no walk in's the reason in one year there was many more guesthouse's had opened now it's even worse as there is many more guesthse opened all over the place guesthouse's dont suit the new tiourist that are coming from Russia and China as they tend to come with tour companies who put them into hotels.

Ok, now you're talking specific shophouses, I was talking the general principle.

The general rule here in all forms of real estate be it businesses or houses is

It you cannot sell or rent it at already inflated prices put the price up not

lower it which is standard practice in most countries

@ madmitch

Does it flood anywhere down there during rainy season? Is there any stagnant water laying around?

What about the footpaths - can you walk on them, or it's safer to walk on the road?

They want the extra tourist and expats and the money they bring in, but do not want to upgrade the infastructure to cater for them. This effects the livibility of the island for all of us.

Honestly mate which you should shut up and stop banging on the same song. We know you don't like it, no need to keep telling us every other post. Better yet don't post unless you have something non cesspit related to say.

Honestly mate which you should shut up and stop banging on the same song. We know you don't like it, no need to keep telling us every other post. Better yet don't post unless you have something non cesspit related to say.

Not only in every other post but in long verbose statements.