Thailand's War With The Uk

If Romney was president back in 2009 the USA wouldnt have a car industry today.The Yank in ChiangMai thank the President who saved General Motors

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

Wrong, GM would have been restructured and sold, as would the other car companies that received a bailout. The industry would be damaged but it wouldn't disappear.Also, who is the Yank in CM? The OP is Canadian from what I have read.

My favorite parts of this thread (wasted 2 hours of work productivity reading it);

1) the well written responses from British members who im sure were seething to some degree inside but managed nevertheless to remain within the confines of their British politeness.

2) CMK steadfastly defending his position in the face of hordes of dissenters...and seemingly reveling in the attention.

and 3) The Blether getting offended at the title...lol.

I felt that the thread title was deliberately inflammatory, and could be considered as trolling. To my understanding, a war involves some element of direct conflict - for example in the 'war' between the British and French and German auto industries for market share, or the 'war' between durian growers in Thailand and Malaysia. When people compete to achieve objectives or sales independently, without actually conflicting with one another, we generally refer to it as a competition or a race (though some will tell you there's no such thing) - like for example the arms race.

I think our industry has not looked back since the government stopped bailing it out, and it was able to sell itself to the highest bidder. Or wither and die, depending on its own health, rather than the ambitions of politicians

SC

• Like 2

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMK we are STILL WAITING for you yo give us examples to back up YOUR CLAIM that Thailand has Superior Thai Engineering and Production Techniques.

Give us some examples of these Superior Thai Engineering and Production Techniques.

Or admit you can't think of any!

By the very definition, if CMK can't answer the above he is trolling - or taking advantage of the intrnet to broadcast his ignorance.

• Like 2

CMK we are STILL WAITING for you yo give us examples to back up YOUR CLAIM that Thailand has Superior Thai Engineering and Production Techniques.

Give us some examples of these Superior Thai Engineering and Production Techniques.

What you fail to realize is the techniques of and superior Thai engineering produce success. Bad engineering and production techniques produce stagnation at best and failure at the worst. In 1972 GB produced 1.92 million cars. In 1972 Thailand hardly any.

Today Thailand employs over 300,000 people, generating 12% of the national GDP and is the country biggest manufacturing sector. Ford, GM, BMW, Daimler, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota, Isuzu, Honda and Nissan have established presence in the country. In the 2000 only 411.000 light vehicles were produced in the country, the 0.7% of global production. Ten years later, the 1.6 million units produced were the 2.1% of global production, with Thailand first Pick up models producer. It is predicted that Thailand will turn out 2 million vehicles this year or next.

The above is an example of one country going up and another staying the same or going down. One of the many reasons is production techniques.

I don't think it takes a weather man to tell which way the wind is blowing. UK 1972, 1.92 million. 2011 1.3 million.

post-73727-0-50469100-1350289973_thumb.j

What you fail to realize is the techniques of and superior Thai engineering produce success. Bad engineering and production techniques produce stagnation at best and failure at the worst. In 1972 GB produced 1.92 million cars. In 1972 Thailand hardly any.

Today Thailand employs over 300,000 people, generating 12% of the national GDP and is the country biggest manufacturing sector. Ford, GM, BMW, Daimler, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota, Isuzu, Honda and Nissan have established presence in the country. In the 2000 only 411.000 light vehicles were produced in the country, the 0.7% of global production. Ten years later, the 1.6 million units produced were the 2.1% of global production, with Thailand first Pick up models producer. It is predicted that Thailand will turn out 2 million vehicles this year or next.

The above is an example of one country going up and another staying the same or going down. One of the many reasons is production techniques.

I don't think it takes a weather man to tell which way the wind is blowing. UK 1972, 1.92 million. 2011 1.3 million.

Because they are paid peanuts, easy really. Why has the wests manufacturing gone to China ?

If Romney was president back in 2009 the USA wouldnt have a car industry today.The Yank in ChiangMai thank the President who saved General Motors

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

Wrong, GM would have been restructured and sold, as would the other car companies that received a bailout. The industry would be damaged but it wouldn't disappear.Also, who is the Yank in CM? The OP is Canadian from what I have read.

My favorite parts of this thread (wasted 2 hours of work productivity reading it);

1) the well written responses from British members who im sure were seething to some degree inside but managed nevertheless to remain within the confines of their British politeness.

2) CMK steadfastly defending his position in the face of hordes of dissenters...and seemingly reveling in the attention.

and 3) The Blether getting offended at the title...lol.

I felt that the thread title was deliberately inflammatory, and could be considered as trolling. To my understanding, a war involves some element of direct conflict - for example in the 'war' between the British and French and German auto industries for market share, or the 'war' between durian growers in Thailand and Malaysia. When people compete to achieve objectives or sales independently, without actually conflicting with one another, we generally refer to it as a competition or a race (though some will tell you there's no such thing) - like for example the arms race.

I think our industry has not looked back since the government stopped bailing it out, and it was able to sell itself to the highest bidder. Or wither and die, depending on its own health, rather than the ambitions of politicians

SC

Trolling no. Thin skinned readers? Yes. Both Thailand and the UK are competing for auto sales in an international market. Intentional or not that fact remains. The UK hit its peak 40 years ago Thailand is just getting there. I remember reading about two restaurants competing for customers by discounting shrimp dinners. The newspaper ran the story under a headline called Shrimp wars. Thailand will very soon be in 10th place among auto producers. Get used to it.

Because they are paid peanuts, easy really. Why has the wests manufacturing gone to China ?

Production of vehicles is dependent on many things. There is no rule that says one must pay the same wages as another country to compete. It is a war. To the victor go the sales.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Production of vehicles is dependent on many things. There is no rule that says one must pay the same wages as another country to compete. It is a war. To the victor go the sales.

UK, assembly worker is perhaps paid 25,000 bht per week. Can go sick with pay any time, has 4 or 5 weeks paid holiday per year. Employer must pay huge sums in national insurance for every employee. Company Pension, all this makes a HUGE difference in the cost of a ride.

What does a Thai worker cost a Thai company with their salary and ''perks'' ?

A timely reminder that not is all it seems with UK manufacturing.........my fellow Brits may be surprised and delighted to see this. I've known of it for a while, manufacturing is repatriating..........

http://www.telegraph...-factories.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/14/topshops-sir-philip-green_n_1965462.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

The reasons why are explained in the article.

edit, previous link not working

Edited by theblether

CMK said "The reason the Thai baht has risen and the UK and US currencies have gone down is in part because of the health and future of the Thai auto industry among many other things."

And in all seriousness how much do you think the Thai auto industry affected the UK and US currencies' decline compared with the banking crisis? Come on, man, get a grip. You've put up a good fight: I really do respect the way you've fought your corner, but you're punch-drunk now.

I have a call in to Naam's gardener. If he does not show up I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

UK, assembly worker is perhaps paid 25,000 bht per week. Can go sick with pay any time, has 4 or 5 weeks paid holiday per year. Employer must pay huge sums in national insurance for every employee. Company Pension, all this makes a HUGE difference in the cost of a ride.

What does a Thai worker cost a Thai company with their salary and ''perks'' ?

It's war transam. One must make sacrifices during war. When Thailand wins and gets more sales perhaps they can give more perks. I had deep pockets. I used to run a retail business. I would discount till my competitor went out of business and then raise my prices.

And still hasn't answered the question - he just keeps on mumbling.

Does he even know what Engineering or Production Technology is I wonder?

I answered more than once. You did not understand. Not my fault. Perhaps you should say you don't like my answer or don't agree with my answer. Or people will think you can't read. Post #155.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

CMK said "The reason the Thai baht has risen and the UK and US currencies have gone down is in part because of the health and future of the Thai auto industry among many other things."

And in all seriousness how much do you think the Thai auto industry affected the UK and US currencies' decline compared with the banking crisis? Come on, man, get a grip. You've put up a good fight: I really do respect the way you've fought your corner, but you're punch-drunk now.

I have a call in to Naam's gardener. If he does not show up I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Oh man! You really have taken a few too many to the head, haven't you! blink.png

Oh man! You really have taken a few too many to the head, haven't you! blink.png

Not really it is because Namm's gardener knows a lot about currency. With the Thai baht going up and the UK pound going down it makes the auto production even more impressive because Thai cars are getting more expensive and Brit cars cheaper and Thai autos are still selling more every year while the record for UK sales was in 1972.

It is easy to compare UK auto sales 2010 1,393,463, Thailand 1,644,513. Now that wasn't hard was it?

Comparison in dollars please. whistling.gif

So many other levels and reasons to draw comparisons.

No. Debate etiquette rule #107. If you want another form of comparison besides the valid form that was presented you go look it up.smile.png

Not really it is because Namm's gardener knows a lot about currency. With the Thai baht going up and the UK pound going down it makes the auto production even more impressive because Thai cars are getting more expensive and Brit cars cheaper and Thai autos are still selling more every year while the record for UK sales was in 1972.

If I accepted this, I would have to accept that the UK and Thai cars are sold in the same market place...by that, I mean to exactly the same buyers.

Seconds out....Round 27. Kelly, my man, you've been on the canvas so many times, you need handles sown into your shorts.

If I accepted this, I would have to accept that the UK and Thai cars are sold in the same market place...by that, I mean to exactly the same buyers.

Seconds out....Round 27. Kelly, my man, you've been on the canvas so many times, you need handles sown into your shorts.

I don't really think so. It is a global market in terms of price before taxes.

SC

Trolling no. Thin skinned readers? Yes. Both Thailand and the UK are competing for auto sales in an international market. Intentional or not that fact remains. The UK hit its peak 40 years ago Thailand is just getting there. I remember reading about two restaurants competing for customers by discounting shrimp dinners. The newspaper ran the story under a headline called Shrimp wars. Thailand will very soon be in 10th place among auto producers. Get used to it.

What proportion of Thai vehicles are exported to Europe, the principal destination for cars manufactured in the UK? What proportion of Thai vehicles are aimed at the luxury sedan and luxury sports market? To what extent does Thailand use motorsports to showcase its auto industry?

Now, had you said that Malaysia was in an auto industry war with the UK, then we could have drawn some evidence to show that. Proton and their brethren have pushed British models off the shelves in Malaysia, and I believe you can buy a Proton in the UK, if that tickles your sense of humour. Proton compete in rally sports against British-based marques like BMW-Mini. Proton bought the Lotus engineering company; that's what happens in war. You invade each other's markets and take over their customers, their factories and their engineers.

SC

It is easy to compare UK auto sales 2010 1,393,463, Thailand 1,644,513. Now that wasn't hard was it?

Comparison in dollars please. whistling.gif

So many other levels and reasons to draw comparisons.

No. Debate etiquette rule #107. If you want another form of comparison besides the valid form that was presented you go look it up.smile.png

Your comparing apples to oranges CMK.

The majority of vehicles manufactured in Thailand are what for example are classified by Australia customs as agricultural vehicles and have a low import duty applied. Anything coming from the UK is usually deemed to be a luxury vehicle and higher duties applied.

The growth in Thailands pick up market would be IMO directly related to the general acceptance of owning what is essentially and work ute where as years ago they were just for miners and farmers.

I answered more than once. You did not understand. Not my fault. Perhaps you should say you don't like my answer or don't agree with my answer. Or people will think you can't read. Post #155.

Yep read#155 - again you did not give any examples of Superior Thai Engineering or Superior Thai Production Technology you just trotted out your repeated statements about Thais assembling cars (which were Engineered and Designed overseas assembled in Thailand using Production Technology imported from overseas).

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Some 2010 data for people that like data

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ind_car_pro-industry-car-production

Malaysia and France included for comparison

Heavy trucks

UK 15,569

Thailand 5,000

Malaysia no data - 0?

France 47,451

Light trucks

UK 175,426

Thailand 420,349

Malaysia 15,000

France 358,986

Automobiles

UK 1,270,444

Thailand 554,387

Malaysia 522,568 (I've got one of those...)

France 1,922,339

SC

Seems reasonably consistent with the BOI hyperbole

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

As we live in Thailand why should we give a XXXXX what some keyboard warrior has to say ,there must be a reason he hates the Brits ,i suppose he feels inferior in some way and anyway who gives a flying fart if Thailand produces more cars?

You have to give the guy credit for his tenacity. He's been flying in the face of a hell of a lot of opposition..... Pity it was such a silly premise in the first place!!

As we live in Thailand why should we give a XXXXX what some keyboard warrior has to say ,there must be a reason he hates the Brits ,i suppose he feels inferior in some way and anyway who gives a flying fart if Thailand produces more cars?

cheesy.gif , spot on. cheesy.gif

Veering wildly off topic for a while one thing that's always puzzled me is the Peugeot 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo thing. We're all told that Pugs and Citroens are not too reliable and Toyota is the reliability gem. All the three cars I've mentioned are built on the same assembly line in Poland(?). What do they do? Build Pugs on a Monday, Citroens on a Friday and Toyotas mid-week? laugh.png

Nah, they build the Pugs on Saturday mornings after Friday night benders, and the Citroens and Peugots on Sunday morning after their hungover employees go to church to confess all the mischief they did on the Pugs.

Honestly, I don't even know what a Pug is. But I couldn't resist.

Edited by impulse