Scythe

cooked

Stupid question really, can I get a good scythe anywhere? Wooden shaft, not steel, not made for a dwarf, along with the little anvil for tapping out the edge? I am sick of seeing and hearing these brush cutters advancing much slower than a good mower can. Oh well, I thought I would ask....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was on a mowing team of 12 people, 5am - 6pm. Great fun. I earned good money but gave it up after three days, I thought I was going to die. 1974 I think, we couldn't use machines because of a local hospital. and a very steep bank. The team later went on further north and then started going up the mountains as the season progressed (Switzerland). Those were really tough guys, drunk all day long, eating stuff like cow's udder and pigs ears... a way of life that has disappeared now.

• 7 months later...

I would love to get a scythe and a spade. Those tools you get here... I killed a new shovel in less then 10 minutes. I was naive enough to think I could dig over my garden. Is there a place in Bangkok or somewhere to get proper tools?

I've asked several times where I can buy a scythe and even drawn pictures to explain. I was told each time that there are none here. It surprises me because they are such an obvious and better alternative to the long handled machete. The same goes for spades and garden forks.

There's two grades of steel here for tools. The cheap shovel you can bend with your hands, cost around 250 Baht and are crap. 500 Baht will get you a pretty decent shovel. The only spade I've ever seen here is the pointy shovel type and are crap too.smile.png A good spade substitute is a solid steel handled(for weight) arched blade tool. Good for post holes too. Only scythe I've ever seen here was a home made job. Probably used it for something totally different. You can get forks here too.

Regards.

Why to find 500 bart shovel?, the only one I can find are 250 bart bean cans ,my spade I brought with me from the UK, much to the amusement of the check in staff at Heathrow.

As for a scythe a look at google there are companes in the UK and USA that still sell them ,but will they send one to Thailand .

Why to find 500 bart shovel?, the only one I can find are 250 bart bean cans ,my spade I brought with me from the UK, much to the amusement of the check in staff at Heathrow.

As for a scythe a look at google there are companes in the UK and USA that still sell them ,but will they send one to Thailand .

Good luck with that, you can't even get a tiny pocket knife through the airport anymore...LOL

A decent scath sound to me like a good idea. I was thinking this, back a few months ago when trying to cut some weeds with the weed-wacker ( it is much heavier than a scath, and unbalance) not to mention the noise and power consumption. How did such an idiotic invention ever came into use, I have no idea.

The weed-whackers, if properly equipped, do a much better job than a scythe, even if more noisily. I haven't seen anything worth buying yet in Thailand, the saw blade method I never ever used in Europe, I had a thick plastic cord, not on a spool, that would go through almost anything green. Changed once every 30 minutes. When I see Thais actually plucking grass or (mis-)using a sickle, I despair. I have a scythe, apparently constructed for a dwarf, steel handle, but it gets me through the worst of the undergrowth.

You can't just pick one up and use it, you also need a special little anvil plus little hammer to hammer out the blade regularly.