7Pm Tonight In Bkk Time, 1St Human To Break Speed Of Sound

jcw

Ok, I am having troubles putting a Thai spin on this, but in 2 and a half hours there will be an amazing jump form 120,000 feet in an attempt to be the first human to break the speed of sound, (jumping kind of thing).

I think that many here in Thailand may actually be interested a tiny little bit what is happening outside of Planet Thailand. The think the logistics of even getting to 120,000 feet is amazing. How many seconds can you last without oxygen out side of a 747 at 34,000 feet, (I don't know, something 10 seconds I think)

I find this really interesting. I hope the Mods do as well to keep this up for a couple of hours so other farang (or fur-lrung) in Thailand immune from the rest of the world can know about it via Thai Visa, which like many use as my primary course of news now. Those living in self imposed Thai exile !!!

The count down on youtube here for the LIVE amazing jump of history.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live

Edited by Scott

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know he is in a special suit, right?

I saw this on the news the other day. Definitely be watching this.

Apparently the last couple of people who attempted to bread the record died.

The broadcast will be on a slight delay in case something unforeseen happens.

Edited by Scott

Ok, I am having troubles putting a Thai spin on this, but in 2 and a half hours there will be an amazing jump form 120,000 feet in an attempt to be ...

How about with starting with using the metric system, using figures in meter and kilometer when talking about length and distances.

Then have you at least a little international spin. Imperial units aren't really used in Thailand. ;-)

How many seconds can you last without oxygen out side of a 747 at 34,000 feet, (I don't know, something 10 seconds I think)

Having been in the US Air Force if one wants to bum a ride on a fighter jet I had to go through qualification training. That involves high altitude training and basic parachute training.

The high altitude training, besides the classroom theory, involves a high altitude chamber - basically a very big vacuum chamber. They run a series of various altitude tests to let you get a feel for using the O2 equipment and let your nerves settle down. wink.png They then take you up to the equivalent of 42,000 feet then slowly bring you down to around 32,000 feet. At this point you are paired off. One keeps the O2 mask on and monitors the other who removes his and watches for various effects of hypoxia. Then they switch.

I was over one minute but I'm sure he misjudged my symptoms and could have gone longer. biggrin.png

Interesting devices they had to show what happens with the change in altitude. They ran a tight string across the chamber and a bottle with a deflated balloon on it. As we went up in altitude, the string started drooping showing the walls of the chamber were being pushed in. The balloon started filling way up so you can guess about the various gases in your body and what happens then. tongue.png

They have another attached chamber that is vacuumed down to equivalent of 35000 feet while you are at ground level pressure. They suddenly open a large valve between the two chambers and you promptly go from ground level to 35000 feet in a very short time. Nice cloud formed in the chamber when doing it.

Average Effective Performance Time for flying

personnel without supplemental oxygen:

15,000 to 18,000 feet ..........30 minutes or more

22,000 feet ...............................5 to 10 minutes

25,000 feet .................................3 to 5 minutes

28,000 feet............................2 1/2 to 3 minutes

30,000 feet .................................1 to 2 minutes

35,000 feet ............................30 to 60 seconds

40,000 feet ............................15 to 20 seconds

45,000 feet ..............................9 to 15 seconds

Appears to have nearly reached maximum altitude 122,000 +. Beginning to go through the egress check list as the decision for jump is green now.

post-566-0-92883500-1350236663_thumb.jpg

Seems to have jumped in vertical speed substantially and above 127,000 foot now. 2000+ foot per minute, Helium will be released to slow the descent down.