Visa To Stay Chiangmai

Start with a tourist visa. I would get a double or triple entry valid for six months if you are in your home country. It will allow you time to sort out your marriage and determine what your next action should be. Once you are married you can extend any entry for 1 year during the last 30 days of your permission to stay as long as you meet the requirements. The biggest being either 400k baht in a Thai bank in yoour name only seasoned for 2 months or proof of income of at least 40k baht/month.

If you are going to buy a small shop and start a business, that opens another can of worms!

rolleyes.gif

I'm intending to live Chiangmai end jan going to get small shop for income to live have gf not married yet please help what visa to get

----------------

It's not just that easy.

The visa you can get relatively easily. Talk to the Thai consulate in Hull or any one of the other Thai consulates in the U.K.

A double entry tourist visa would be good for 6 months...requiring 2 in-country extensions and one "border run" to get that full 180 days in country.

By the end of that 6 months you should know just about all you need to lnow about "visas" in Thailand.

But more importantly, by that time, you should have a pretty good idea what life in Thailand and Chaing Mai will be like.

Then you can make your decision to stay or not based on what you've learned.

Big warning to you though.

Regarding "opening a small shop for income".

There are certain professions PROHIBITED to non-Thais that a foriegner can't own or operate.

Be VERY sure of what you're doing BEFORE you invest you're money so that you not going into one of those professions that a non-Thai can not own or operate but a Thai citizen can own or operate,

Because if you can't legally be the owner/operator of that business you might just as well be handing the money to your (required by law) Thai partner with no say in how that money is used.

whistling.gif

I know a couple in CM who have a small restraruant. He has a work permit to work in the rest. She went to Labour office and submitted the paper work and told them she needed him to assist her and he would be working for her. They approved the work permit. I know many will say impossible as I said the same thing but she say no thats what he has and she got it for him. So it is not impossible to get a work permit to work in a small rest.

The couple are a Thai lady and a French national

Edited by moe666

I know a couple in CM who have a small restraruant. He has a work permit to work in the rest. She went to Labour office and submitted the paper work and told them she needed him to assist her and he would be working for her. They approved the work permit. I know many will say impossible as I said the same thing but she say no thats what he has and she got it for him. So it is not impossible to get a work permit to work in a small rest.

The couple are a Thai lady and a French national

No argument from me.

If married to a Thai who has a sole proprietor business a work permit can be obtained and only 2 Thai employees are required.

The same thing can be done as partnership with wife (51/49%) which makes it a Thai owned company so there is no restrictions on what kind of business it can do. In this case the husband could be the managing partner for his work permit.

And check with labor and immigration!

The minimum needed Thai for a wp are not the 4 , the immigration wanna see for a extension of stay because of work!

In case, some don't worry the 90 days visa runs, no 4 Thais needed, per wp!

Neither is the 50.000 / 65.000 minimum income

The easiest and cheapest solution would be:

Marry the Thai woman, get the visa (extended) based on marriage.

Make a partnership Company, become employed by the wife.

The difference to a Ltd. is, the Farang can't become a director of the Partnership company

Edited by noob7