Farange Retort

theslime

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have words for 'tourist/foreigner' everywhere!

In Spain it's guiri or giri.Even in Somerset,England they called people 'grokkles',my Auntie is from there!

It's just a way to distinguish locals from non-locals.It's not just Thailand,in Cambodia it's 'barang' & Bali and Indonesia it's 'bule',which means 'white man'!

Hardly an insult,just a description!

Exactly. But try to explain this to the truly ignorant who populate this forum. This topic has been covered ad nauseam, yet, some still don't get it. There's absolutely nothing offensive about the word "farang."

Sorry been out. I Feel it must be the Tone, cause some of the Thai men I know say Farang derisively when said Farang has done something to try and recoupe his scammed Money back. Funny that.

In Spain it's guiri or giri.Even in Somerset,England they called people 'grokkles',my Auntie is from there!

It's just a way to distinguish locals from non-locals.It's not just Thailand,in Cambodia it's 'barang' & Bali and Indonesia it's 'bule',which means 'white man'!

Exactly. But try to explain this to the truly ignorant who populate this forum. This topic has been covered ad nauseam, yet, some still don't get it. There's absolutely nothing offensive about the word "farang."

I assume you don't speak Thai?

So what about the word for Indians - "kaek" - is that offensive?

What about the word for Chinese - "jek" - is that offensive?

Many years ago, these words were normal but became offensive, just like 'farang' a years back was not so offensive.

The same in the West - certain words for groups of people that were once normal are now very offensive.

Keep up with the times.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

?My only question is...retort for what?"

I agree that it's the tone. If it's a group of Thais who say it and are laughing, I say "Mai chai. khun a leh." Sorry for the transliteration. It's supposed to mean "No, you are." It's the first thing I learned here. It usually draws a blank stare and the laughing stops immediately. Even so, it can get on your nerves to hear it all the time.

?My only question is...retort for what?"

I agree that it's the tone. If it's a group of Thais who say it and are laughing, I say "Mai chai. khun a leh." Sorry for the transliteration. It's supposed to mean "No, you are." It's the first thing I learned here. It usually draws a blank stare and the laughing stops immediately. Even so, it can get on your nerves to hear it all the time.

I was hoping to counter answer the Derision, from Some Taxi /Bike /Tuk Tuk / Patpong Doormen Drunk Ladies /Tranies that one encounters in day to day living . Ergo Retort for hearing Farang spoken as if I was somehow just Caucasian. Look up Retort its in the Dictionary

Why do people let something so small and petty get to them? I seriously wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over being called a farang.

Agreed, can you believe the nerve of this Mexican guy who got mad at me cause I called him a "spic"?

Hispanic=spic right?

Can't believe he got his knickers in a twist over that

• Like 1

A good answer is "Lucky, aren't I?" which is something like "Chok dee, na" where the 'na' is pronounced with an 'er' sort of sound, I'm sure someone will correct me, but if you say it with a wry smile and nod it'll generally get Thais smiling. It's a bit condescending but what can you do? Bearing the brunt of a Thai trying to win the Captain Obvious award for yelling 'Farang' at you really kills the vibe.

• Like 2

If a Chinese guy is thrown out of a pub, could we call him a Bounced Jek? rolleyes.gif

Wrong thread mate. That belongs on the Worst Joke thread.

This thread is for those who believe "farang" is a word of abuse, those who don't, those who believe it depends on the context and place, those who try to come out with witty ripostes in the local language and get uspet when it falls flat, those who equate it with other racist terms and are ready to duke it out whenever they hear the term, those who have better things to worry about, and those who couldn't give toss. Me, I just like typing "those who" ad infinitum.

If a Chinese guy is thrown out of a pub, could we call him a Bounced Jek? rolleyes.gif

Wrong thread mate. That belongs on the Worst Joke thread.

This thread is for those who believe "farang" is a word of abuse, those who don't, those who believe it depends on the context and place, those who try to come out with witty ripostes in the local language and get uspet when it falls flat, those who equate it with other racist terms and are ready to duke it out whenever they hear the term, those who have better things to worry about, and those who couldn't give toss. Me, I just like typing "those who" ad infinitum.

Let me put it another way, after eating in a Chinese restaurant owned by a guy called William, is it okay to ask for Jek Bill? sad.png

Edited by Payboy

Many years ago, these words were normal but became offensive, just like 'farang' a years back was not so offensive.

The same in the West - certain words for groups of people that were once normal are now very offensive.

Keep up with the times.

I'll assume that you think that you know it all because you do,shall I?Can you read,write and speak Thai fluently?

If not you don't have much to boast about,do you?If you do can you show us some of your posts in the Thai speaking forum please?

In England people from Sunderland were called "Mackams" derogatively,they starting calling themselves it and it no longer is now.

Why don't you keep up with the times?rolleyes.gif

Why do people let something so small and petty get to them? I seriously wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over being called a farang.

Agreed, can you believe the nerve of this Mexican guy who got mad at me cause I called him a "spic"?

Hispanic=spic right?

No,'SPIC' stands for Spanish,Puerto Rican,Italian or Cuban and is a derogatory term!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Vale Tudo

Keep up with the times.

I'll assume that you think that you know it all because you do,shall I?Can you read,write and speak Thai fluently?

If not you don't have much to boast about,do you?If you do can you show us some of your posts in the Thai speaking forum please?

In England people from Sunderland were called "Mackams" derogatively,they starting calling themselves it and it no longer is now.

Wow, Mr. Know-it-all!

I'll answer your questions even though you didn't answer mine.

Yes, I can speak and read Thai fluently. My 10 year old daughter can write better than I but she couldn't about a year ago. I'm not boasting at all - it should be better considering the time I've been here. Can't be arsed posting any of my posts but in the Thai forum I have a topic pinned from a few years back.

I could care less about people in Sunderland and what they call themselves.

• Like 1

Hispanic=spic right?

No,'SPIC' stands for Spanish,Puerto Rican,Italian or Cuban and is a derogatory term!rolleyes.gif

Please explain how it is different from "falang," which is also a dubious racial term (lumping together all white people).

If I use "spic" in a non-deragatory way; the same way "falang" is used as some would put it, in a non-offensive way, how is that different? Please elaborate.

When they say 'Farang' you can say 'thank you' ... as it's purely a descriptive adjective and not a derogatory slur.

If she is cute then please feel free to ask her phone number also ... biggrin.png

only if she has big boobs!

Keep up with the times.

Wow, Mr. Know-it-all!

I'll answer your questions even though you didn't answer mine.

Yes, I can speak and read Thai fluently. My 10 year old daughter can write better than I but she couldn't about a year ago. I'm not boasting at all - it should be better considering the time I've been here. Can't be arsed posting any of my posts but in the Thai forum I have a topic pinned from a few years back.

I could care less about people in Sunderland and what they call themselves.

Actually the phrase is 'I COULDN'T/COULD NOT' care less in English.'Could care less' is illogical and makes no sense!

Let's hope that your Thai is measurably better than your English then,shall we?coffee1.gif

What a suprise you can't show us any of your posts in the Thai-speaking forum either,what are the chances of that?rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"I'll assume that you think that you know it all because you do,shall I?Can you read,write and speak Thai fluently?

Why don't you keep up with the times?"rolleyes.gif

"Wow, Mr. Know-it-all!"

I'll answer your questions even though you didn't answer mine."

No,you see I called you a know-it-all,do you not even have the imagination to post a different reply?Yet you claim to be bilingual,although you've failed to prove it...interesting!rolleyes.gif

As for answering your questions,didn't you see that you'd already established the fact that I don't speak Thai?

You're not very good at this,are you?whistling.gif

• Like 1

Hispanic=spic right?

Please explain how it is different from "falang," which is also a dubious racial term (lumping together all white people).

If I use "spic" in a non-deragatory way; the same way "falang" is used as some would put it, in a non-offensive way, how is that different? Please elaborate.

As usual, Kilgore, you're wrong again. "Falang" (or farang) is more similar to "Hispanic." It's not the same as "spic," which is clearly a derogatory term for Latin Americans. So replace the word "spic" with "Hispanic," and your example would be more accurate.

When they say 'Farang' you can say 'thank you' ... as it's purely a descriptive adjective and not a derogatory slur.

If she is cute then please feel free to ask her phone number also ... biggrin.png

Agreed, for Jewish people, non-jews are referred to as goy (male) and (shiksa) female. Purely descriptive terms. When I meet someone new I refer to them as "goy." Even if I know their name, it is easier for me to refer to them with this term. When a person enters a room I refer to them as goy or shiksa, not "someone has entered the room."

German, Persian, Chinese or Thai, they are all goyim to me. Your partner, to me, is not a Thai woman, she is a shiksa (purely a descriptive term).

If you accept this behavior from Thais, you must also accept it from Jewish people....

Right, right?? You wouldn't want to be a hipocrite now would you?

I always refer to people who are not from my nation as gentiles.

Edited by Morakot

The world farang (falang) derivates from the Thai word for French people which sounds farangses. So the expression just means "westerner". Why be upset about being called what you are?

The negative impression is from people who don't like westerners, that doesn't change by changing the word.