Farange Retort

theslime

The word Farang is just a word for classification of people how look "European" for the Thai people,

I believe that people how have problem taking that name have problem with being different. But you

are and will always be different when you move around the world to live.

Racism is something totally different, it's an action were you discriminate or harass people based

on rase, not only a classification of race. The word Farang have both positive and negative value

from Thai native people dependent of their earlier experiences with Farangs. I can imagine that

this value varies heavily between different locations in Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word Farang is just a word for classification of people how look "European" for the Thai people,

I believe that people how have problem taking that name have problem with being different. But you

Racism is something totally different, it's an action were you discriminate or harass people based

on rase, not only a classification of race. The word Farang have both positive and negative value

from Thai native people dependent of their earlier experiences with Farangs. I can imagine that

Nail on the head.

I admit i feel a bit sad when i hear the f word used i a derogatory way, but i try to behave well and make sure i am not a problem for the Thai people.

Nail on the head.

I admit i feel a bit sad when i hear the f word used i a derogatory way, but i try to behave well and make sure i am not a problem for the Thai people.

Agreed, using the term negro or hispanic to describe someone is not racist. When people in the southern US point out that someone is a negro it should not be taken negatively. For example; a negro is coming, please serve the negro, she was here first etc.

As long as they behave and make sure they are not a problem for the whites, all is ok.

Right?

"Look up Retort its in the Dictionary."

Like I said, it depends on the situation. Maybe you should learn to read and write.

"So, what is the non-derogatory word in Yiddish for a female non-Jew?"

I'm not sure how this turned into what Jewish deragotry terms there are for other peoples. However, schmuck and putz come to mind.

Nail on the head.

Agreed, using the term negro or hispanic to describe someone is not racist. When people in the southern US point out that someone is a negro it should not be taken negatively. For example; a negro is coming, please serve the negro, she was here first etc.

As long as they behave and make sure they are not a problem for the whites, all is ok.

Right?

Yes, right.

Until we are in a civil discussion everything is fine ; there are many points of view, and many languages in the world, the debate can be endless.

The problem start when people go ballistic IMHO.

Right?

I realize that you're taking the piss, but seriously I think in an ideal world what you say is correct.

If you treat cripples kindly, feel free to call them crippled.

I might feel hurt if you call me old and fat, but that's my problem not yours, because that is what I am.

Western political correctness has gone way overboard in trying to pretend that everyone should completely eliminate any classification of people that could even potentially be used for unethical discrimination. Even "handicapped" is in some circles considered "bad language", "special needs" or some <deleted> is preferred.

Personally I define racism by actions, concrete effects, and try to remain as tolerant as possible about what's going on inside other people's heads, even as reflected by their speech patterns.

I don't think the latter are anyone's business, and particularly not strangers or the government.

If you really consider yourself tolerant you should tolerate a bit of intolerance as well.

However in the case of most Thais' use of their language's word "farang" it is 100% OK with me.

I prefer for those who know my name to use it, but recognize that that preference is an artifact of my childhood cultural-linguistic programming and not anything to do with judgments of "good" and "bad", "right" and "wrong".

• Like 2

Right?

Personally I define racism by actions, concrete effects, and try to remain as tolerant as possible about what's going on inside other people's heads, even as reflected by their speech patterns.

I don't think the latter are anyone's business, and particularly not strangers or the government.

If you really consider yourself tolerant you should tolerate a bit of intolerance as well.

However in the case of most Thais' use of their language's word "farang" it is 100% OK with me.

I prefer for those who know my name to use it, but recognize that that preference is an artifact of my childhood cultural-linguistic programming and not anything to do with judgments of "good" and "bad", "right" and "wrong".

Some very, VERY good points you've made. Particularly in your first paragraph, that "(you) define racism by actions, concrete effects..."

A relevant example: In the USA, there are various sports teams that have names/mascots that relate to the Native Americans (or American Indians). They include the names Indians, Redskins, Seminoles, Braves, etc. Well some Native American groups decided that they have had enough, that they didn't want their names or likeness to be used for something as trivial as sports teams. So they pleaded with these teams to change their names.

Well the teams and their supporters felt that this was PC gone mad, that there was never any intent to discriminate. And in fact, the names were more a sign of respect and admiration. None of the teams that I am aware of changed their names and the complaints just sort of died.

Now if Americans--who are among the most rabid PC folks around--decided to ignore a long-oppressed group over suggestions of racial insults, do you think the Thais are going to listen to a few disgruntled, misinformed farangs? They believe just as strongly as the Americans in the above example that use of the word "farang" is not offensive. They will never kowtow to foreigners when it relates to the use of THEIR language.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere in the posts, I think the best suggested response when being called Farang, was to retort Chok Dee na. Got a lot of Giggles from my Thai Family.

Arai wa

would work better.

Do you use it in everyday conversation?

I would use it if someone I knew called me 'farang' (or bak see da or ba guey gar or ba/ma gairw)

That might be everyday conversation for you, but it wouldn't be for me.

Edited by TommoPhysicist