Farange Retort

theslime

For years I was sick of hearing Farang this Farang that, finally I had a Brain Wave, asked Thais how to say Oriental and all I got was Asian as a meaning, Looked up Oriental and in Thai speak it,s Chao tawan Og. Now when I hear Farang I just say Chao Tawan Og, the looks I get are great. They start saying Asian and I Chao Tawan Og. Smiles all round.

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they say 'Farang' you can say 'thank you' ... as it's purely a descriptive adjective and not a derogatory slur.

If she is cute then please feel free to ask her phone number also ... biggrin.png

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

When they say 'Farang' you can say 'thank you' ... as it's purely a descriptive adjective and not a derogatory slur.

If she is cute then please feel free to ask her phone number also ... biggrin.png

A teach-yourself thai bookI was using suggested saying sabparot (pineapple. I trieds it, and it certainly mystifies them.....So when you hear "farang, farang, farang", just say "sabparot, sabparot, sabparot"..... Said with a smile always gets a puzzled reaction, then a laugh.

• Like 2

A teach-yourself thai bookI was using suggested saying sabparot (pineapple. I trieds it, and it certainly mystifies them.....So when you hear "farang, farang, farang", just say "sabparot, sabparot, sabparot"..... Said with a smile always gets a puzzled reaction, then a laugh.

Baksida baksida ... maknat maknat lol.

I wonder what was the reason why that book suggested using the word for pineapple??

I wonder what was the reason why that book suggested using the word for pineapple??

I would assume to make light of it and to show that the farang can understand a little thai... having been called farang (guava) the visitor makes a joke of it be responding pineapple.

Possibly because the word 'farang' also refers to guava. So shouting back 'pineapple' would actually be a good retort.

• Like 1

What are you saying?

That I'm a yellow bellied rough skin with spiky hair?

Maybe an avocado maybe closer to the mark as a visual image?

What are you saying?

That I'm a yellow bellied rough skin with spiky hair?

Maybe an avocado maybe closer to the mark as a visual image?

A yellowbelly?..... Another Lincolnshire man! Yeay!....but now I could be accused of calling you a moo.

I thought it was bak nut, like bak sida(guava) and bak mee(jackfruit)

For years I was sick of hearing Farang this Farang that, finally I had a Brain Wave, asked Thais how to say Oriental and all I got was Asian as a meaning, Looked up Oriental and in Thai speak it,s Chao tawan Og. Now when I hear Farang I just say Chao Tawan Og, the looks I get are great. They start saying Asian and I Chao Tawan Og. Smiles all round.

More common is "chao eh chia".

What exactly are you trying to do?

Why not tell them direct that you don't like being called farang, instead of this silly game?

I thought ferange retort was a kind of dessert.

Edited by Neeranam

Oriental includes, while Farang (by definition) excludes.

Bummer Man, thought I had em. I have been told that Farang means Caucasian, but obviously not exactly.

farang is derived from the persian word 'farangi', meaning 'foreigner'.

It can also mean guava, 'i eat farang'.

Edited by jacktrip

My wife calls ALL guests in our restaurant Farang. That includes Asians and even other Thais.

'How many farang did were in tonight?' 'There's a farang at the counter'

IMO the term can be used in a derogatory tone but is usually not.

I always remember an Aussie guy in Patong screaming his head off at a poor waitress several years ago because he heard the word and assumed she was talking about him. She had actually been discussing the bill of someone who had left the restaurant already - it had nothing to do with the Aussie whatsoever. It's normally a paranoid perception by those who THINK they understand Thai.

My wife calls ALL guests in our restaurant Farang. That includes Asians and even other Thais.

'How many farang did were in tonight?' 'There's a farang at the counter'

IMO the term can be used in a derogatory tone but is usually not.

I always remember an Aussie guy in Patong screaming his head off at a poor waitress several years ago because he heard the word and assumed she was talking about him. She had actually been discussing the bill of someone who had left the restaurant already - it had nothing to do with the Aussie whatsoever. It's normally a paranoid perception by those who THINK they understand Thai.

Yes, I agree the inference is very much determined by the tone. I objected to it (probably unreasonably) when a lady in the street market asked my gf "Does the farang eat thai food"? I felt like a person in a wheelchair whose partner / minder is asked "Does he eat sweets?" She was very surprised when I told her Pom chorp ah hahn thai.

Come to think of it, the gf looked like a stunned goldfish. Farang speak that??? Arrrrrrrgh! Actually I don't, but am trying. laugh.png

• Like 1

I would have suggested a large green vegetable that grows in Thailand as it may have more enjoyable results.

• Like 1

My first TG would tell me jet khun all the time, I rather wish she called me farange sad.png

Jet Khun sounds sexier in english than farang.

Jet Li would be even cooler if she said that while you stood naked before her flexing your 6 pack tongue.png

Certainly better than poi poi or uaan thuaann.

I have just decided I shall live my life like Jet Li. No more farang for me.

He I will be and so you shall see

I will kick and do a trick

I will be free and fly just like Jet Li.

Is your wife still reading the forum ? whistling.gif

I'm not married ... rolleyes.gif

I don't understand this obsession that some folks have with being called a "white person" in the Thai language. It is not something that bothers me in the least.

I dont understand the obsession some folks have with being called a "Foreigner". in the Thai Language. Good on ya. I suppose being called a Fat <deleted> ,Old Bastard ,Big Nose, Dum Dum, Slanty Eyed gook is also something that doesn,t bother you in the least, especially if it isn,t directed at you. Wouldn,t matter eh mate.

I don't understand this obsession that some folks have with being called a "white person" in the Thai language. It is not something that bothers me in the least.

I dont understand the obsession some folks have with being called a "Foreigner". in the Thai Language. Good on ya. I suppose being called a Fat <deleted> ,Old Bastard ,Big Nose, Dum Dum, Slanty Eyed gook is also something that doesn,t bother you in the least, especially if it isn,t directed at you. Wouldn,t matter eh mate.

Surely you must know how ridiculous you sound bringing up irrelevant examples that don't apply. It's like a Mexican being offended by being called "Hispanic" and comparing it to the "N" word. Any farang stupid enough to compare the word "farang" with "slanty eyed gook" deserves to be sh*t on with impunity.

They have words for 'tourist/foreigner' everywhere!

In Spain it's guiri or giri.Even in Somerset,England they called people 'grokkles',my Auntie is from there!

It's just a way to distinguish locals from non-locals.It's not just Thailand,in Cambodia it's 'barang' & Bali and Indonesia it's 'bule',which means 'white man'!

Hardly an insult,just a description!

They have words for 'tourist/foreigner' everywhere!

In Spain it's guiri or giri.Even in Somerset,England they called people 'grokkles',my Auntie is from there!

It's just a way to distinguish locals from non-locals.It's not just Thailand,in Cambodia it's 'barang' & Bali and Indonesia it's 'bule',which means 'white man'!

Hardly an insult,just a description!

Exactly. But try to explain this to the truly ignorant who populate this forum. This topic has been covered ad nauseam, yet, some still don't get it. There's absolutely nothing offensive about the word "farang."

• Like 2