Farange Retort

theslime

It's pretty obvious where you're hanging out....

In fact "farang" is the completely neutral word for a person of European extraction.

There is no other way of saying it that I know...even < < Thai language removed, this is an English language forum > > just means someone with light skin, not necessarily of European extraction. And "khon Europe" refers to people actually from the continent.

Edited by metisdead

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, can you believe the nerve of this Mexican guy who got mad at me cause I called him a "spic"?

Hispanic=spic right?

Can't believe he got his knickers in a twist over that

No,'SPIC' stands for Spanish,Puerto Rican,Italian or Cuban and is a derogatory term!rolleyes.gif

Please explain how it is different from "falang," which is also a dubious racial term (lumping together all white people).

If I use "spic" in a non-deragatory way; the same way "falang" is used as some would put it, in a non-offensive way, how is that different? Please elaborate.

As usual, Kilgore, you're wrong again. "Falang" (or farang) is more similar to "Hispanic." It's not the same as "spic," which is clearly a derogatory term for Latin Americans. So replace the word "spic" with "Hispanic," and your example would be more accurate.

More similar or not is complete nonsense. They are ALL racial terms; full stop. It is wrong to refer to people (ESPECIALLY to their face) with a racial term.

If you accept the Thais using racial terms the way they do then you must, by logic, accept other cultures to use racial terms the same way; whatever the origin of the word is or the connotations YOU feel from its use.

If not, you are a hipocrite, by definition.

Clear, simple, sorted.

• Like 1

The world farang (falang) derivates from the Thai word for French people which sounds farangses. So the expression just means "westerner". Why be upset about being called what you are?

The negative impression is from people who don't like westerners, that doesn't change by changing the word.

Not sure it means Westerner; Tiger Woods is a Westerner, is he not? Is Tiger Woods a farang? Half african american half thai, I think not.

Another reason that shows the dubious nature of the word; similar to other deragatory terms mentioned before.

Honky, whitey, gringo.....these are terms that seem the closest by association to me, certainly not words like hispanic which actually have some logical reasoning to them.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

The world farang (falang) derivates from the Thai word for French people which sounds farangses. So the expression just means "westerner". Why be upset about being called what you are?

The negative impression is from people who don't like westerners, that doesn't change by changing the word.

Not sure it means Westerner; Tiger Woods is a Westerner, is he not? Is Tiger Woods a farang? Half african american half thai, I think not.

It means person of European descent. Tiger Woods is a "look kreung".

More similar or not is complete nonsense. They are ALL racial terms; full stop. It is wrong to refer to people (ESPECIALLY to their face) with a racial term.

If you accept the Thais using racial terms the way they do then you must, by logic, accept other cultures to use racial terms the same way; whatever the origin of the word is or the connotations YOU feel from its use.

Clear, simple, sorted.

So "Caucasian" is a derogatory term as well? Arab? Native American?

The answer is "no" -- not in the real world -- unless they're preceded by a word like "bloody".

"Racial" (a word to describe someone's race) -- is not the same as "derogatory" (a pejorative used to denigrate someone's race).

Another reason that shows the dubious nature of the word; similar to other deragatory terms mentioned before.

Honky, whitey, gringo.....these are terms that seem the closest by association to me, certainly not words like hispanic which actually have some logical reasoning to them.

I'm with you Kilgore ............ look krung = half child (as in half Thai child)

alternate name for a child .......... farang noi = (half) white baby

@NMT

So you're OK when they still call you 'farang'?

(no matter what nationality you have acquired)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I'm with you Kilgore ............ look krung = half child (as in half Thai child)

@NMT

Of course. I AM a farang!

Clear, simple, sorted.

The answer is "no" -- not in the real world -- unless they're preceded by a word like "bloody".

"Racial" (a word to describe someone's race) -- is not the same as "derogatory" (a pejorative used to denigrate someone's race).

You're a bit off base here; caucasian has logic behind it; Arabs are semitic and Native Americans are Asians.

Falang means whitey, pure and simple.

Clear, simple, sorted.

You're a bit off base here; caucasian has logic behind it; Arabs are semitic and Native Americans are Asians.

Falang means whitey, pure and simple.

Farang means exactly the same as caucasian.

"Shiksa" and "goy" are both derogatory terms. Gentile is neutral.

My grandfather was Jewish and my grandmother Catholic. The only time I ever saw her seething mad was when someone referred to her as a "shiksa".

Not precisely accurate.

For primary Yiddish speakers, goy is the ONLY word they would have and it is NOT derogatory. Gentile is English. Goy is Yiddish.

Shiksa also Yiddish is derogatory, as is shegetz (the male version).

Edited by Jingthing

@NMT

Of course. I AM a farang!

I love Thailand and it's people; this however is an issue I have, and I'm sure as others mentioned; when Thailand does integrate into the global culture more; as will eventually naturally happen, the word will be phased out.

Your attutude reminds me of the old step and fetch it uncle tom.

Yassa Massa, that sho is a fiiiine car you be drivinlaugh.png

My grandfather was Jewish and my grandmother Catholic. The only time I ever saw her seething mad was when someone referred to her as a "shiksa".

Not precisely accurate.

For primary Yiddish speakers, goy is the ONLY word they would have and it is NOT derogatory. Gentile is English. Goy is Yiddish.

I stand corrected.

You're a mensch.

So, what is the non-derogatory word in Yiddish for a female non-Jew?

I love Thailand and it's people; this however is an issue I have, and I'm sure as others mentioned; when Thailand does integrate into the global culture more; as will eventually naturally happen, the word will be phased out.

So, in your view of utopia, what will Thais call persons of European extraction once the word "farang" becomes verboten?

Or will we all be some shade of brown and all be singing kumbaya together by then?

So, in your view of utopia, what will Thais call persons of European extraction once the word "farang" becomes verboten?

Or will we all be some shade of brown and all be singing kumbaya together by then?

If you want my opinion, hopefully they will call Europeans Europeans. We call Thais Thai not Siamese right?

Using the actual word of the people you are referring goes a long way to bridge cultures and understand each other; fyiwink.png

Not precisely accurate.

I stand corrected.

You're a mensch.

I don't really speak Yiddish but shiksa only refers to a SUBSET of female non-Jews (the ones that may be sexually alluring as potential romantic partners). You wouldn't call Barbara Bush today a shiksa. I would guess just basic masculine or feminine forms of goy however that would be expressed.

If you want my opinion, hopefully they will call Europeans Europeans. We call Thais Thai not Siamese right?

Using the actual word of the people you are referring goes a long way to bridge cultures and understand each other; fyiwink.png

First of all, "European" is just as "racial" a word as anything else (according to you).

Secondly, not all people of European extraction are Europeans.

Personally, I'd rather be called "farang" than European -- because I am definitely NOT European.

Not precisely accurate.

I stand corrected.

You're a mensch.

Goyshka?tongue.png My grandmother would actually use that term

Why is there any need to call anyone a name denoted by their racial background?

If you have a foreign passport, foreigner or home country are surely sufficient.

Not precisely accurate.

I stand corrected.

You're a mensch.

Goyshka?tongue.png My grandmother would actually use that term

New one on me!

Why is there any need to call anyone a name denoted by their racial background?

If you have a foreign passport, foreigner or home country are surely sufficient.

If it was sufficient, then the terms would not be used.

But they are...in every single country around the world. It is simply a way of describing a person's appearance.

Until we're all a shade of brown from intermarriage, there always will be.

Kumbayaaaaaaa.

First of all, "European" is just as "racial" a word as anything else (according to you).

Secondly, not all people of European extraction are Europeans.

Personally, I'd rather be called "farang" than European -- because I am definitely NOT European.

First you ask me what they would call Europeans, when I answered you then criticize the word "European" which you just used. C'mon...

First you ask me what they would call Europeans, when I answered you then criticize the word "European" which you just used. C'mon...

Of course I criticized it...because it isn't equivalent to "farang".

Not all white-skinned people are Europeans!

I still think you tried to set me up on that onebiggrin.png , however I certainly agree with your second comment.

Edited by Kilgore Trout