Need To Buy A Pickup Truck In Isaan, Upto 250K Baht

johnson36

No offense johnson36 but you are going about this the wrong way. First of all, your experience of buying good quality used cars in your nation is unique to your nation. It's really hard to find decent used trucks in Thailand, and your much better off buying new. Secondly, 550,000 bht for a base line truck is very cheap, and if you want whine about it you shouldn't have married a Thai women from Isaan. If you can't provide for these people then maybe your wife should go back to work and send 1/3 of her income like any good single child should do to preserve the culture of helping the elders. They take care of her daughter and should be taken care of now that they have raised her. Your lucky you can enjoy time with your wife with no child to take care of. Thirdly your to frustrated, when dealing with these Thai families you can't lose your cool or you will damage your relationship with them permanently, and no matter what you do or say your wife will always think about her mom and dad.

• Like 1

I actually posted because I'm going through issues, I have to buy a truck for my farther in law. I also wanted to buy used but for the above reasons it wasn't a good option. In Canada I drive used vehicles only, my 2004 silverado 3/4 ton was only 300,000 baht and makes me a living. I found a decent alternative to the big trucks, a suzuki carry 1.6 They only cost 356,800 B. brand new. My wife screamed in horror when I presented it to her, but maybe I can mentally beat her down into accepting it, although she is very resilient to my tactics. It's this or a colorado for 571,000.

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Oscar Wilde

With respect the OP needs to understand that in Thailand and many other parts of the world the "love" flows upwards...

So, your wife taking care of her parents by providing them with a new car...even if they don't really need it.. will give her a great deal of satisfaction...

As my wife has said to me "I only have one Mum and Dad"... wai.gif

Personally, I have no qualms about my wife (us) providing for her parents, like she has none about "us" giving my parents "stuff".

It's only money wink.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Here the original question of the OP was of providing a pickup within a given budget. Obviously, second-hand pickups at that price are found, but older models, which may fulfill any real use the parents of his wife may have.

The OP was kind enough to provide us a follow-up on what happened of his research and his decision, and he has been bashed by a number of Issan-defenders who bring out arguments I often heard in the Philippines: one must provide for the parents, etc, etc. I do not really see the relation of one with the other, except that people are trying to justify their own being obliged to "support" the family of their respective wives.

The OP has made it clear he has to budget a family life for his own children, himself and his wife, so all the pseudo-cultural explanations on the tensions with the in laws or the "necessity" to support family (even if it was made clear by the OP that they are self-sufficient) sound to me superfluous and ridiculous to put it mildly. Why do some posters feel they always have to justify themselves in response to the decisions of others (under the guise of "explaining culture"...) biggrin.png ?

To the point again: I believe that the OP is right in his decision, and once a budget is fixed for whatever need, he has to keep to it, not go and buy whatever the family tells him to buy. I am just astonished nobody suggested buying a brand new SUV at this point... cheesy.gif

Don't need to justify myself to anyone...whistling.gif

As for your "pseudo-cultural explanations" quote...well...nothing "psuedo" about it. It's real. You may not like it or agree with it...BUT it's how people behave and interact. I suggest you look up the word ethnocentrism rolleyes.gif

BTW it's actually the OP's wife who's paying the money anyway whistling.gif

RAZZ