Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What Are The Police Checking?

susanschwaiger

Yeah and I meant if it was only "somewhat" easier in USA then it must still be very easy. Smiley or not. smile.png

I should have reread your post instead of telling you to reread mine smile.png

But yes it’s actually very easy to get a DL in the US compared to most European countries.

And over here it's ridiculously easy, and I guess that's what I should have said in the first place.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would the owner of the rental place give a scooter to a customer without a license?

Yes, TiT.

One way to tell if a bike is insured, they will actually check a drivers licence properly.

Hm, normally the way to check if a bike is insured is by checking the insurance chit. Checking drivers license is another issue.

Anyone can show you a piece of paper that says "Insurance Certificate" but that is no proof that it is valid, probable printed down Kho San Road like all the International Driving Licences... cheesy.gif

The point I was trying to make was if any moter bike renter had actually purchased insurance they would be very keen to ensure that all renters were licenced as if they were not then they would probably invalidate any claim.

The renters should also check that their health insurance covers them if using a bike and whether that would be invalidated if they did not have a bike licence - be it IDP or Thai. Otherwise it could be very expensive in the event of needing any medical treatment.

• Like 1

what I find bizaar is that you dont have to strap your helmet in Thailand, the police missed a big windfall when that law was written

Wat I find bizarre is that even a colander on your head is accepted as a helmet.

What I find bizarre is how the muslims seem to be expected from this law if wearing a head covering.

I am married to a Thai Muslim in Pattaya. In Pattaya Muslims are not exempted from wearing a helmet if they have a head covering. Just like some other Thai's they don't wear helmets in the first place.

Well according to the law they are exempted from wearing a helmet if wearing a head covering. And I have seen this in practice and asked the local BIB when I got pulled on SSCC for a random papperwork check (yes I had a helmet on) but saw the BIB let many mulslims with the smallcap they wear drive by without being stopped. I asked the police and he told me musilms don't have to wear a helmet if they have their cap on. I might start keeping a Yarmulke in my pocket for emergency use.

Edited by Jayman

Would the owner of the rental place give a scooter to a customer without a license?

Yes, TiT.

One way to tell if a bike is insured, they will actually check a drivers licence properly.

Hm, normally the way to check if a bike is insured is by checking the insurance chit. Checking drivers license is another issue.

Anyone can show you a piece of paper that says "Insurance Certificate" but that is no proof that it is valid, probable printed down Kho San Road like all the International Driving Licences... cheesy.gif

The point I was trying to make was if any moter bike renter had actually purchased insurance they would be very keen to ensure that all renters were licenced as if they were not then they would probably invalidate any claim.

No actually the chit you get with the government insurance isn't so easy to copy. Besides it's like 150 baht/year so hardly worth the effort anyway.

Yes, TiT.

No actually the chit you get with the government insurance isn't so easy to copy. Besides it's like 150 baht/year so hardly worth the effort anyway.

It's the government insurance that is mandatory for all vehicles. I believe it's called parabor and it's super cheap (like no more than 200thb per year for most vehicles). It also does nothing to cover you in the even of an accident.

This is checked and usually renewed at the same time the yearly registration tax is paid. This is what the police are checking with the registration papers. To make sure the rego and basic government insurance is paid.

So, based on what I heard back from other posters, if My USA Driver's license is for auto only, than I am not legally allowed to drive a scooter or motorbike in Thailand. OK. IF that is true, than what can I do to rent a motorbike or scooter in Thailand? I am pretty sure that all the hundreds of foreigners driving around on scooters or motorbikes on their Thai holidays do NOT have motorcycle licences in their home countries.

My USA driver's license is for car only. My international Driver's license simply mirrors my USA driver's license and just basically states that I have a US Driver's license. Does that mean I can't legally drive a motor bike or even small scoooter in Thailand? I am pretty sure that many of the Americans I see in Thailand do not have a motorcycle license. That is a separate feature and requires a separate test than the car license in the USA.

If your US license is for car only, without a motorcycle endorsement, then you’re not legally licensed to drive a motorbike or scooter in Thailand.

It’s the same over here as in the US, there are separate tests for car and bike. However somewhat easier to pass here laugh.png

Until you have an accident, and the insurance company won't shell out any money because you don't have a license to drive a mc.

Just noticed that Jayman already mentioned this.

Edited by Semper

Pattaya police don't police on morals and ethics of the law. They police on whatever they can get money out of and will be the least paperwork and hassle. That is the key.

If I'm riding on my bike with a helmet on and there is an old man beside me riding a side-cart with no helmet I will get stopped and he wont. Why, because if I am missing something then it will be an easy 500 baht within 30 minutes, hassle free ! The old guy won't be. Any half decent society would always stop the old man first for no hat even if I was breaking another law but that/wont be the case here.

To answer you question directly. They are checking whatever is quick and easy to charge for if its missing so they can stop the next farang. So that will be (in this order probably until they get a result) helmet, license, tax, papers.

Edited by rinteln

Pattaya police don't police on morals and ethics of the law. They police on whatever they can get money out of and will be the least paperwork and hassle. That is the key.

If I'm riding on my bike with a helmet on and there is an old man beside me riding a side-cart with no helmet I will get stopped and he wont. Why, because if I am missing something then it will be an easy 500 baht within 30 minutes, hassle free ! The old guy won't be. Any half decent society would always stop the old man first for no hat even if I was breaking another law but that/wont be the case here.

To answer you question directly. They are checking whatever is quick and easy to charge for if its missing so they can stop the next farang. So that will be (in this order probably until they get a result) helmet, license, tax, papers.

I think when driving a side-cart, you don't need a helmet.

I think when driving a side-cart, you don't need a helmet.

Not so sure about that but I am happy to be wrong . Either way you see my point.

what I find bizaar is that you dont have to strap your helmet in Thailand, the police missed a big windfall when that law was written

They fine for this in Bangkok all the time.

I think you need a motorcycle license. Not just a car DL. If you don't have this endorsement on your DL, you could get a ticket.

I feel sorry for all the visitors getting tickets down where I live. That police station on Suk and Huay Yai road does a bang up biz.

A couple of years ago I was riding my trusty Honda CZi in BKK. Just past the Ekamai intersection a red bus had the left lane blocked, so I went around- only to get the infamous "Mocy can not go in right lane" ticket. I tried to explain to the cop that I was passing a stopped bus, an older but he had the ticket written up before I could finish. TIT. He was an older, pleasnat guy, even if I was wrongly ticketed and he stopped traffic for me to go to the on site, one stop, "Pay your fine here." All very officious, I received a written, stamped receipt, B200.

I kept my cool and just laughed it off because "If I had not been in Thailand, pom pen not happen" :)

What I find bizarre is how the muslims seem to be expected from this law if wearing a head covering.

I think they are Sikhs. I remember a few years back one, or more Sikhs, were attacked in the US because some people thought they were Muslims. Gotta learn who is who before you attack.

Not sure how many Sikhn are living on Soi Nerb Plub Wan and SSCC by the mosque but I am familiar with the head coverings they wear and I'm not talking about turbans. Maybe you are and that's why you are confused. For the women it's called a hijab and I'm certain that they don't wear helmets legally around here every day of the week. The men where a kufi.

post-32036-0-47959900-1350453420.jpg

I honestly don't think it matters what day of the week it is, they are exempted from wearing a helmet in this area at least if they have a head covering on. That applies to both the men and women.

I think they are Sikhs. I remember a few years back one, or more Sikhs, were attacked in the US because some people thought they were Muslims. Gotta learn who is who before you attack.

Not sure how many Sikhn are living on Soi Nerb Plub Wan and SSCC by the mosque but I am familiar with the head coverings they wear and I'm not talking about turbans. Maybe you are and that's why you are confused. For the women it's called a hijab and I'm certain that they don't wear helmets legally around here every day of the week. The men where a kufi.

I honestly don't think it matters what day of the week it is, they are exempted from wearing a helmet in this area at least if they have a head covering on. That applies to both the men and women.

You are not correct - as I said my wife is a Thai Muslim and has a large extended family living in the area of Soi Nernplubwan & they are fined if not wearing a helmet (except for Friday prayers), even if wearing a Hajib etc. I do not know why you are insisting otherwise, but get your facts straight

You are not correct - as I said my wife is a Thai Muslim and has a large extended family living in the area of Soi Nernplubwan & they are fined if not wearing a helmet (except for Friday prayers), even if wearing a Hajib etc. I do not know why you are insisting otherwise, but get your facts straight

I am insisting otherwise as I have been stopped in this area and told that by the BIB as well as the thai law has been posted here.

Section 122 (500B)

[The rider and passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provisions under this Section is not forced for monks, novices, ascetics, persons of

other religion which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial

Regulation.]

I see no mention of the day of the week in that regulation...

Also, and I will pay more attention, I don't think I have EVER seen a woman in a hajib wearing a helmet.

Edited by Jayman

It is the "weak"picking on the weak. The police are too lazy to stop the speeding busses, SUV's,trucks, and cars along 2nd or Beach Rd.;thus, the streets are like the wild, wild West when trying to cross them (OH wait, there are those "dependable" pedistrian crossings). Again, it is another poor "PR" action of the mafia Pattaya police that need to collect money from poor Thais or "ting-tong" vacationing farangs.

It is the "weak"picking on the weak. The police are too lazy to stop the speeding busses, SUV's,trucks, and cars along 2nd or Beach Rd.;thus, the streets are like the wild, wild West when trying to cross them (OH wait, there are those "dependable" pedistrian crossings). Again, it is another poor "PR" action of the mafia Pattaya police that need to collect money from poor Thais or "ting-tong" vacationing farangs.

Weak picking on the weak is right. Many times the police can not deal with speeding buses because they are "protected". Like the baht buses.

The renters should also check that their health insurance covers them if using a bike and whether that would be invalidated if they did not have a bike licence - be it IDP or Thai. Otherwise it could be very expensive in the event of needing any medical treatment.

Another point...

If you have Travel Insurance it may probably will not cover you evan riding as a pillion passenger, not even on a Motor Bike Taxi, and I doubt they are insured either.sad.png

but nether mind your local newspaper back home may start a fund raiser to get you MediVac'ed home.whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The police are not checking for licence or registration, they are checking for those 100 baht notes that have been missing, 4 of them have been missing for many years. They will stop motorbikes until this 400 baht has been recovered! They could care less if you have a licence or not, but tips will be gladly accepted!

• Like 2

The police are not checking for licence or registration, they are checking for those 100 baht notes that have been missing, 4 of them have been missing for many years. They will stop motorbikes until this 400 baht has been recovered! They could care less if you have a licence or not, but tips will be gladly accepted!

Looks like you’re trying to be funny, or maybe trolling, but have you ever been pulled over in Pattaya??? Usually just presenting my license is enough, but a few times I’ve been asked for proof of tax and registration.

You are corret. Police in Pattaya dont police on morals or ehtics, they police on whatever can get them the most amount of money within a short space of time. The ideal candidate is a farang as they will pay quick with no hassle. If they were really policing the law for its real meaning and moral then anyone and everyone would be pulled.

Before anyone asks. Yes I live in Pattaya, have done for 4 years and yes been pulled a few times.

• Like 1

Looks like you’re trying to be funny, or maybe trolling, but have you ever been pulled over in Pattaya??? Usually just presenting my license is enough, but a few times I’ve been asked for proof of tax and registration.

Yes you are correct they usually only check for the license but remember you are in a minority. Many foreigners here wont have a license or have it on them. The reason why they let you go after seeing your license is because you are no longer a candidate for collection of cash and hence of no interest to them. Their chance to get money out of you has passed or become more difficult and Thais dont like more difficult. Why continue with you about other documents when another farang with no license is just around the corner.

What they are checking for is reasons to fine you, not to uphold the law. If its quiet they will continue until they get a reason as its quiet. If its busy then off you go, they wait for the next farang.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

What they are checking for is reasons to fine you, not to uphold the law. If its quiet they will continue until they get a reason as its quiet. If its busy then off you go, they wait for the next farang.

Yep...Last time they stopped me I produced my licence...the superior officer then told his subordinate to check the tax and insurance then.

I was the second foreigner that had correct paperwork and they seemed quite " miffed" to have lost some tea money.

Edited by johng

• 1 year later...

I have rent a scooter in Chiang Mai for each of the last 4years. I have never been asked for a licence, just a passport or/deposit as security.

I had never been asked for an IDP at checkpoints until this year. I was pulled in at Narawat Bridge. He wasn't a interested in my passport or UK driving licence, just my IDP. He photographed the front and photo page. I asked why and he replied, "Use as example."

I assume the BIB have found a new excuse to fine farang at checkpoints.

I have no sympathy for idiots that don't wear your helmet.its not for avoiding a ticket, it's for savings your life. It's saved my life more than once. Why would you not wear a helmet in Thailand, it's so risky. Use our brain while you still have one and don't worry about the cops. Rant over.

Edited by Rimmer
Profane