Eop (Ethernet Over Power) Adaptors

jabenna

Hello,

I've recently been given a solution to a wireless router range issue: buy EOP Adaptors to help extend my network. I'd never even heard of these before and was amazed when I learnt it sends the broadband signal down the power wires!

I have had a quick look in the electrical departments in Paragon and Central World while there at the weekend and they didn't have any. Dies anyone know 1) if EOP can be used in Thailand; 2) where to get them... In guessing Fortune Mall or Pantip. Mainly want to know though about anyone's experiences.

Thanks.

I have used them at home and work. Hey are widely available in Thailand. You can also buy them online in Thailand. Try any IT mall and you should be able to find them. One point to remember is to make sure you use them in the same phase of electric, in case you have a 3 phase electrical system.

• Like 1

Powerline adaptors are not so reliable. Especially if there is RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) in your electric line.

You may consider investing in a HighPower wireless router or try using 5 ghz band if distance is not a problem (but several other 2.4 ghz wifi routers occupying your space is, just like my situation in mooban)

Hi, thanks for your help. I have a Billion 4 port and an Apply Time Capsule (which has 5mHz). But in the main bedroom of our condo, for some bizarre reason, the signal drops when on the bed. Move off the bed, to the side, in front, no problem. Can't move bed as impractical. The extension phone sockets (in the middle of condo so would give more even signal distribution) don't work and True/condo management won't fix them.

So someone on the Apple forums mentioned using EoP. Connect the billion to the EoP socket where the bband signal does come in. Then attach the Time Capsule to another EoP in the middle of the condo - hopefully giving a better signal. Good idea or not?

P.s. any idea how I'd find out if I'm on a 3-way power setup as mentioned above? Not sure even if I asked in juristic office they'd know :-/

I have used Homeplugs (aka Netplugs aka Powerline aka CPL aka God knows what) quite extensively and have found them to be very good when the electrical power circuits in the building are of good quality and up to spec/norm. Needless to say this is rarely the case in Thailand, and that is likely to be the problem.

The OP, or whoever advised him, is confusing this with PoE (Power over Ethernet), which is a system for delivering relatively low voltage power over ethernet cables, in order to power routers and switches etc. in places where there is no convenient mains power.

You have 2x choices.

1. A wireless repeater placed between the bedroom and wireless adsl modem.

2. Ethernet over power line. I've not had to reset mine since plugging it in 2 months ago and havent had a single problem. Go for the 500 mbps versions as the 100/200 mbps ones will be too slow for some things.

Powerline adaptors are not so reliable. Especially if there is RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) in your electric line.

I think you'll find they are usually the source of RFI rather than the victim. As such people are wanting them banning in Europe and elsewhere. ;)

Thanks again for everyone's help. Going to give the EoP a try and see how it goes. Found a wireless repeater, but I assume you have to connect the repeater and the original *wired* router together via ethernet, no? I'm probably wrong haha...

If it's just general web connectivity your looking for the repeater will be fine. Cisco/Linksys offer some out of the box solutions now so you won't need to worry about flashing firmware etc.

For streaming HD media etc 500mbps EOP would be required. The actual bandwidth on 100/200mbps can be quite low even if only 1 room or so apart.