Pb&j: Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches ... The Definitive Poll

Jingthing

American classic food: PB&J  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i taught my dogs to avoid people who eat "Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches" because they are not to be trusted and might also savour "chien flambé, chili con perro, cane/cagna quattro stazione, gebratener Hund and dog curry tex-mex style".

ermm.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American, and yeah I always have peanut butter available. Not something I eat often or look forward to, more of an emergency food. Plain or with jam, honey, or banana. Preferably with chocolate milk.

I've never in my life heard of putting butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Definitely would never do that

I was sure I had to be the only grown man who preferred his peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate milk!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Or you could have a Reese's peanut butter cup!

I have a question now because I see a Canadian aboot. Is PB&J as pervasive in Canada as it is in the USA at least as a childhood staple?

I am quite sure that PBJ love is one of those things where there is no distinction between canucks or mercans.

American, and yeah I always have peanut butter available. Not something I eat often or look forward to, more of an emergency food. Plain or with jam, honey, or banana. Preferably with chocolate milk.

I've never in my life heard of putting butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Definitely would never do that

I was sure I had to be the only grown man who preferred his peanut butter sandwiches with chocolate milk!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Or you could have a Reese's peanut butter cup!

I have a question now because I see a Canadian aboot. Is PB&J as pervasive in Canada as it is in the USA at least as a childhood staple?

I am quite sure that PBJ love is one of those things where there is no distinction between canucks or mercans.

Oh. In that case, I wish I had grouped the two together in the poll.

pbj with butter? never tried that. kind of like the hot dog with mayonaise, ive never done that either but had a polish neighbor in the states who ate mayonaise hot dogs twice a day.

Peanut butter and banana sandwich I can attest to! banana and pb are delicious together. When my family ran out of jelly, we would make pb and honey sandwiches, which also works well!

Peanut butter and banana? Passably good, but add some bacon and you have a real sandwich.

I've tried these. Too American, I prefer the German style butter+jam. Never did get the taste for peanut butter. Kids love it.

Understood. Preferences are preferences. I can't even bring myself to even TASTE Vegemite or Marmite. I have smelled it. OMG. The idea that someone would be as offended by peanut butter (as in the video) does seem bizarre to me. Peanuts. What could be more wholesome unless you're allergic? That said I really do hate standard processed peanut butter now but that's not because of the peanuts but because of the crap they put in the peanuts. Edited by Jingthing

I have been told by many that it is weird and only a weird person would contemplate it but i love peanut butter and salad sandwiches. That is peanut butter with Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, beetroot and whatever other salad ingredients that are close by . Even just plain ol' Beetroot with peanut butter in a sandwich is a taste that cannot be had only once.

However, add mayonnaise or mustard and you deserve to sent to bed without any dinner for the next six months, or worse..

Edited by xen

Try peanut butter and banana sandwiches...really good...

also PB with raw onion, cheese

what's wrong with adding dairy butter ...snice?

off topic but:

- for entertainment try a big gob of peanut butter ..stick it to the roof of your dog's mouth smile.png

- Thai boiled peanuts...great..almost as good as the Florida roadside stand equivalent

That is peanut butter with Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, beetroot and whatever other salad ingredients that are close by.

i always thought that perverts like you exist only in horror movies laugh.png

Now, using Peanut butter and your pet dog, that is perverted.

I've tried these. Too American, I prefer the German style butter+jam. Never did get the taste for peanut butter. Kids love it.

Understood. Preferences are preferences. I can't even bring myself to even TASTE Vegemite or Marmite. I have smelled it. OMG. The idea that someone would be as offended by peanut butter (as in the video) does seem bizarre to me. Peanuts. What could be more wholesome unless you're allergic? That said I really do hate standard processed peanut butter now but that's not because of the peanuts but because of the crap they put in the peanuts.

JT you have to try Marmite or Vegemite it is strange but it is packed full of vitamins then you can honestly say "You Love it' or "You Hate it" (UK marketing campaign)

When I was based in the Philippines they love their peanuts boiled, fried, spiced you name it and boy are they yummy, I think the Filipinos do more variants than the Thai's even adobo flavoured peanuts, I don't recall peanut butter & their stawberry jam from up north is simply the best in the world IMO, maybe they are also PB & J eaters.

Actually, my grandma used to put (dairy) butter in my PB&J whenever she was tasked with feeding me as a kid (my mom did not). I thought it was a bit weird, but still edible. I also really liked the PB&H sandwiches my mom made for my lunchbox as well - i particularly liked how the honey would interact with the bread over the hours sitting in my lunchbox before lunch - it would sort of crystallize a bit and add some sweet crunch.

And yes, PB&Banana was a nice variation on occasion.

Anyone ever try PB&Mango?

And... yes, i still enjoy PB&J today, but with homemade PB and homemade J (faves are raspberry & strawberry - not a fan of grape jelly).

Edited by NanaFoods
  • Like 1

Understood. Preferences are preferences. I can't even bring myself to even TASTE Vegemite or Marmite. I have smelled it. OMG. The idea that someone would be as offended by peanut butter (as in the video) does seem bizarre to me. Peanuts. What could be more wholesome unless you're allergic? That said I really do hate standard processed peanut butter now but that's not because of the peanuts but because of the crap they put in the peanuts.

JT you have to try Marmite or Vegemite it is strange but it is packed full of vitamins then you can honestly say "You Love it' or "You Hate it" (UK marketing campaign)

When I was based in the Philippines they love their peanuts boiled, fried, spiced you name it and boy are they yummy, I think the Filipinos do more variants than the Thai's even adobo flavoured peanuts, I don't recall peanut butter & their stawberry jam from up north is simply the best in the world IMO, maybe they are also PB & J eaters.

Marmite, Vegemite, the Philippines ... made me think of BALUT. Another "delicacy" I don't need to try.

Marmite, Vegemite, the Philippines ... made me think of BALUT. Another "delicacy" I don't need to try.

You're right I crossed the line. I was trying to be nice to the Philippines. But seriously try M/V and I'll do your PBJ

It gets weirder.

Peanut butter and pickles.

Peanut butter and onions. (Hemingway’s favorite sandwich)

Peanut butter and ... VEGEMITE _*#@)$+#_$(@|!

http://www.nytimes.c...l?src=dayp&_r=0

The use of peanut butter in Thai food such as sate is mentioned and that includes pickled veg and onions, but I don't see that as the same thing just throwing PB and pickles on a sandwich. A Thai sate sauce has SPICES that make it work.

Edited by Jingthing

Peanut butter goes great with a lot of things you wouldn't expect. When we were small, we used to make multi-layered 'Dagwood' sandwiches with peanut butter, pickles, meat, onions, crushed potato chips, mayo... you name it! smile.png

Had this on white bread as a kid.... http://www.smuckers.com/products/category.aspx?groupId=2&categoryId=4

Preferred the grape to the strawberry version. Whole wheat bread was / is not so common where I come from

Was always a breakfast thing, or late afternoon after school snack.

Years later, I tried the peanut butter on bread, but with raspberry jam. Mmmmmm craving just thinking of that

Ohhh and I'm not American

Another PS :D SteeleJoe, I'd be pleased to help you manage those peanut butter cups that are just sitting idly :)

Speaking of unusual PB&J inspired combinations that sound really, really good, check this out, from a well known New Orleans restaurant:

http://www.bayona.com/

Smoked Duck, Cashew-Peanut Butter and Pepper Jelly Sandwich 12.00 USD

post-37101-0-82842000-1352061464_thumb.j

Apparently its a huge seller for lunch!

This is something a chef in Thailand could copy. We've got duck, cashews, and peppers here, yes?

Edited by Jingthing

The bread does look like it was grilled with butter.

Sure you could send it back but then the chef would likely come out of the kitchen to slap you.

Not burned. CHAR.

An interior shot. Careful, for adults only!

post-37101-0-96298600-1352083408_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Peanut butter and lox on a bagel? Hmm.

Peanut butter and lox on a bagel? Hmm.

Was making breakfast this morning, lox & eggs, and spotted the PB on the counter. So I spread some PB on a ritz cracker and put on a chunk of lox - ala Jingthing. Didn't taste the lox at all but it had a weird consistancy. I didn't spit it out like I would have if it had been vegemite, but wouldn't make it a regular menu item either!

I didn't spit it out like I would have if it had been vegemite, but wouldn't make it a regular menu item either!

Salmon and peanut butter doesn't sound very good, but I would take it over vegemite any time.

Yeah, Nova style lox maybe not. But if smoked duck works maybe some COLD smoked Pacific Northwest style salmon would work as well, with the pepper jelly of course. I reckon it would.