http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58962

Culture Minister Uraiwan Thienthong Resigns

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59079

LIVE TV

Live link to organiser's TV Channel :

ASTV Live, broadband, Windows Media Player

Alternative site:

ASTV Live

(Thai language only, picture quality not the best, but better than nothing...)

[more links to be added...]

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13.10 People start gathering at Royal Plaza

Hundreds of people have started gathering at the Royal Plaza to join a rally to demand Prime Minister Thaksin to resign.

At 10:30 am, some 600 people are gathering at the ground as well as an army of reporters.

Mobile broadcast units and satellite TV broadcast units have been set up in the area.

Police have started blocking traffic in front of the Royal Plaza and divert motorists to other directions.

--The Nation

Where are the demonstrators???

All I can see on ASTV, 2 p.m., are a few hundred people, some are trickling in... Weren't they supposed to meet at the Royal Plaza at 1 p.m.? Musicians are trying to entertain the crowd in the meantime.

Some are standing way at the back. Are they restricting the amount of people allowed at the plaza? Lots of empty space!

*edit*

A reporter with an aerial photo of the area seems to be explaining where people are, seems they are split into groups... Haven't seen Sondhi yet or a huge crowd and the only camera shots are from the plaza.

.and? Thaksin boarding a plane!

Acc. to the Paper Nation, 1 pm is/was official opening time and Sondhi is scheduled to talk at 6, then march to Pa Prem's place at around 8.

Royal Plaza? Is it a hotel on the corner of Sanam Luang? Because acc. to the Nation the stage is set up near the parlament and Dusit zoo.

Acc. to the Paper Nation, 1 pm is/was official opening time and Sondhi is scheduled to talk at 6, then march to Pa Prem's place at around 8.

Royal Plaza? Is it a hotel on the corner of Sanam Luang? Because acc. to the Nation the stage is set up near the parlament and Dusit zoo.

Sounds like the demonstration has fizzled, it is possible that most thai don't care, or aleast happy with the status qua

There is a statue of King Rama V, I believe, at the centre of the plaza.

I don't think the demonstration has fizzled as Massein said, more likely that demonstrators don't want to get sizzled in the sun, no lawn there. They're starting to come in now.

What do you think?

I ve got 62 channels here through cable and ONLY ASTV is off air or with a very bad picture and audio half the time... Off air right now... :o

Great!!! The live video download is coming in at 121 bytes per second....not Mbytes, not kbytes, but plain old one at a time bytes....at this rate it will take me until tomorrow to see the first frame of the "live" video...hahahahhahahha

This is probably because of censorship ahahhahahhahaha hahahah ahah ah ahhahahahah ahhahah

Edited by chownah

Watching streaming telecasts on Internet doesn't work all that well even on the best of days.

Try this: Turn on your TV.

hi'

right and turning on mine doesn't help, in europe nobody knows ...

and after all, who cares? no death toll yet :o

francois

Streaming is working fine down here on my ADSL link. By the looks of things people are starting too arrive, there's quite a few thousand there now.

I know quite a few Thai's traveling up from Surrathani to go to this, a whole group from my gf's work place have traveled up.

100,000 is a lot of people and I do think it's attainable, one thing is for sure even if the crowd isn't big enough, all the media coverage of this will chnage more peoples minds and help open there eyes.

I also think this could bring an end to Thaksins control of the media, this is being widley reported, and it seems the Thai press is certainly becoming more crital of the administration.

2:30 pm: Pol Col Pinij Maneerat, spokesman of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, and his team distribute fliers to demonstrators, asking them to rally peacefully.

The fliers ask demonstrators to respect the laws and disperse peacefully after the rally. The fliers also say the Royal Plaza is under watch of King Rama V so demonstrators should behave themselves and avoid any violence.

--Bangkok Post

16.10: Students seen only on sidelines

While students were at the heart of the October 1973 protests that overthrew the dictatorship, young people at today’s anti-government demonstration took a more hands-off approach.

Many of the students sat quietly on the rally’s sidelines as people old enough to be their grandparents carried 6-meter-long banners and marched around the Royal Plaza.

“I wish more of my friends came but when I told them about the idea they wanted to go shopping or hang out,” said Somboon Hutyamanivudhi, a fourth year student at Chulalongkorn University, as he handed out fliers.

Songkorn Ditsomboon, a recent graduate of Thammasat University, blamed the poor student turnout not on apathy but the government.

“Maybe some students didn’t show up because the government tried to limit broadcasts about the issue. I knew about the protest because there are certain websites which I check every day. After reading these websites, I believe we can lead a peaceful protest against the government.”

Four current Thammasat students said they came to the protest without telling their parents, who feared the military could get involved.

“Many female students did not accompany their male counterparts because they feared for their own safety,” said one first-year Chulalongkorn University student.

While many of the students wore street clothes, some wore their university uniforms or shirts emblazoned with their school’s name.

--manager.co.th

15.30 pm: Somyong Kaewsuphan, a deputy secretary general of Teachers’ network in the northeastern region said police have tried to block teachers from travelling to join in the anti-Thaksin rally in the Royal Plaza. Some were threatened that they will not be promoted if they join the rally.

Police have set up many road blocks in a bid to prevent teachers travelling from other provinces to participate the rally in Bangkok.[/b]

--The Nation

16.29: Southern academics call for PM's resignation

SONGKHLA – Professors at Prince of Songkla University today called on Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to step down and asked him not to violently quash the protests in Bangkok.

Representatives of the university’s Faculty Senate said Thaksin’s administration has created many long-term problems and burdened the nation’s poor people. They blamed him for failed education reforms, ongoing violence in the three southern provinces, interference in independent organizations and signing unfair FTA agreements.

They also criticized Thaksin for claiming that his family’s controversial sale of their Shin Corp shares was conducted legally without first considering the ethical implications.

--manager.co.th

Sounds like the demonstration has fizzled, it is possible that most thai don't care, or aleast happy with the status qua

Hm, you haven't checked your TV lately have you? The plaza is packed now at 5pm and more coming. Apparently many have been turned away by the BiB while trying to join the demonstration.

Hm, you haven't checked your TV lately have you? The plaza is packed now at 5pm and more coming. Apparently many have been turned away by the BiB while trying to join the demonstration.

I am watching TV and didn’t see anyone turned away. Where is your info coming from?