Is This Country Really So Backward?

dogpoo

Just read of 2 young parents killed after being struck by a large lorry, driver had no license and did not stop, is this country so lacking in law that none of us are safe, so sad this sort of thing happens so often. Condolences to the family.

Yep, my wife drives a big pickup, no DL, therefore no insurance ....... same as about 50% of the Thai population.

Very naughty, and you know that if she kills someone and has a farang husband. w00t.gif

She has a police brother ........ she's not worried at all.

As for me,

You ever tried to stop a wife/gf doing something ....... anything?

How did that work out for you?

Yep, my wife drives a big pickup, no DL, therefore no insurance ....... same as about 50% of the Thai population.

Very naughty, and you know that if she kills someone and has a farang husband. w00t.gif

As for me,

Make her get a licence. Everyone "knows somebody" in this country. My wife's three brothers are high ranking police officers. Want to hope she's not in an accident and kills a well connected person. It can be costly....get licenced and insured.

• Like 2

As for me,

I taught her to drive, with help, and got her license. I insure the motor. I explained what would happen if an accident.

YOU, she, might not have a Corn farm if the wrong person suffers. sad.png

• Like 1

Yep driving, swimming in a pool, taking a simple relaxing shower, have a beer at a simple sidewalk beer bar when it rains and you get electrocuted of which also applies to the previous 2 examples, nothing here can be taken for granted must always be on guard..

When we had to evacuate through the floods last year and make several trips back in my case while it was still flooded, my biggest concern after disease was getting electrocuted. The simpletons in the market on the corner of a main road for example simply lifting a drink refrigerator up on an unstable bench when the truck and boat wakes were going well up into the market and stringing the electric cord dangerously up only inches over the water to get to the socket 3 meters away same thing with a TV they were standing in waste deep water and watching nearby..

It's endless and you really have no idea how much stress it actually adds to your life never being able to relax when you THINK you're less stressed here..

Yes a decent person would know to do the decent and honest thing, my gf has a license she would never drive without one, it would appear your wife has no morels therefore does not give a flying <deleted> for anyone, how does that work for you?

You have just described most Thais.

But I expect your wife is different.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Yes a decent person would know to do the decent and honest thing, my gf has a license she would never drive without one, it would appear your wife has no morels therefore does not give a flying <deleted> for anyone, how does that work for you?

BUT, YOU should be giving sensible guidance to educate. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

You mean with this

Yes a decent person would know to do the decent and honest thing
I presume. So yes, I agree with you.

I will end my participation in this and just say, 2 more young lives wasted due to the lack of law in this country, they have caught the culprit and let's hope he suffers for a very long time!!

Just because you assume the truck driver is guilty because he had no licence and run off, This might not be the case it could be a couple of idiots on a motorbike that turned in front of his truck. Every day driving around you can see potential for a accident do I feel sorry when I see the aftermath or a dead one no. They are just departing the earth early.

As for me,

Yep MOst certainly did.

The wife wanted a bike I said sure go get a license I get you a bike. She got the bike.

Wife says she wants a new car. sure no problem just go get a license and I get you one. She takes 15 hours of lessons and some from me and gets a license. No license then no car / bike

Which part of this are you having a problem with ?

• Like 1

The wife wanted a bike I said sure go get a license I get you a bike. She got the bike.

Wife says she wants a new car. sure no problem just go get a license and I get you one. She takes 15 hours of lessons and some from me and gets a license. No license then no car / bike

The bit where you buy someone a car/bike (house??)

My wife earns her own money and buys her own stuff ...... sort of independent.

As in, she's not a scrounger and I don't have to pay for everything.

• Like 1

The bit where you buy someone a car/bike (house??)

My wife earns her own money and buys her own stuff ...... sort of independent.

As in, she's not a scrounger and I don't have to pay for everything.

Yet!! Good luck!!

Every road death is an avoidable tragedy, however that said, unless you'd like to become the victim of a flash lynch mob, it's generally advisable to flee the scene if you've caused a serious accident.

Please revise the topic title to: Why don't I even understand the basics of Thai culture?

J/K :P

Every road death is an avoidable tragedy, however that said, unless you'd like to become the victim of a flash lynch mob, it's generally advisable to flee the scene if you've caused a serious accident.

Is that where they video it with their mobiles & post in on youtube or facebook? biggrin.png

Is that where they video it with their mobiles & post in on youtube or facebook? biggrin.png

Hehehe, no those flash mobs are all dancing Gangnam Style, not prepping to inflict mayhem on the guy that just crashed into Dad's pickup :)

I did NOT allow my wife to drive the car before she had the licence. I am about 16 years older than her and in Thailand you can't argue with someone so senior to you.wink.png

It's outright stupid to drive a car/truck without drivers licence and proper 1'st class insurance and I won't do it, no bloody way.

• Like 2

I thought you said your whole family of 5 lived off 10,000 baht a month that you provided and any woman would leave a man if they didn't provide them with money. huh.png

Well, we all know that's impossible for someone who also has an internet connection to come and visit here, so someone's misread or left off at least one zero, hehe ;)

I thought you said your whole family of 5 lived off 10,000 baht a month that you provided and any woman would leave a man if they didn't provide them with money. huh.png

Well, we all know that's impossible for someone who also has an internet connection to come and visit here, so someone's misread or left off at least one zero, hehe wink.png

Maybe he daren't upset his wife in case she stops the proposed marriage to her sister.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

As for me,

My wife has a policeman brother too, and our cars and motorbikes are all above board

Very naughty, and you know that if she kills someone and has a farang husband. :w00t:
She has a police brother ........ she's not worried at all.As for me,You ever tried to stop a wife/gf doing something ....... anything?How did that work out for you?

They ALL 'claim' to have 'contacts' that will get them out of a bind. However as with most things here when push comes to shove they will not be about 99% of the time.

Are u sure the 3 brothers are n't actually car park attendants - lol