Do You Know What To Do If Your Wife Dies Before You?

billd766

It seems as though the land is Por Bor Tor 5 which has possessory rights only but the government is the real owner which we knew already.

On the good side the government is/was slowly upgrading alnd like this into Nor Sor Sam or Chanote.

The countryside is full of land like this.

Surely all your land(or your wifes) can't be PBT5 land ? This land can't really be owned, I thought - its more like squatting. Obviously if it can't be owned it can't be sold or given to your son, although the occupancy along with the tax number can be transferred. It has to be used for growing something. Also, you can't build a house on it. I wonder what happens if you do build a house on it.

Interesting topic - I hope you figure it all out Bill.

Well at the moment we are growing man saparang on about 10 rai and ahve a som O orchard on another 1 rai, and I am writing this from the house that we cannot build on the land.

As far as I can see the local government seems to ignore these little rules and they were actually upgrading all the land titles but for some unknown reason they stopped a couple of years ago.

On the other hand there are 3 resorts within 1 1/2 km of us, one Thai and 2 subsidised by farangs and they aren't growing things so who knows.

I was under the impression that it couldn't be sold either but it is sold and registered at the Tessaban and this has been going on for years before we got here and probably will be going on long after I am dead and gone.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as though the land is Por Bor Tor 5 which has possessory rights only but the government is the real owner which we knew already.

On the good side the government is/was slowly upgrading alnd like this into Nor Sor Sam or Chanote.

Surely all your land(or your wifes) can't be PBT5 land ? This land can't really be owned, I thought - its more like squatting. Obviously if it can't be owned it can't be sold or given to your son, although the occupancy along with the tax number can be transferred. It has to be used for growing something. Also, you can't build a house on it. I wonder what happens if you do build a house on it.

Well at the moment we are growing man saparang on about 10 rai and ahve a som O orchard on another 1 rai, and I am writing this from the house that we cannot build on the land.

As far as I can see the local government seems to ignore these little rules and they were actually upgrading all the land titles but for some unknown reason they stopped a couple of years ago.

On the other hand there are 3 resorts within 1 1/2 km of us, one Thai and 2 subsidised by farangs and they aren't growing things so who knows.

I was under the impression that it couldn't be sold either but it is sold and registered at the Tessaban and this has been going on for years before we got here and probably will be going on long after I am dead and gone.

Hi Bill

I'd seriously think about paying someone in the land office to get that land upgraded. If not, when your wife dies there could be some real problems ie the land office people will claim it. What if your son wants to move away from where you live and can't sell all this land? Do you have a lawyer? This situation seems very fishy to me.

It a shame you can't speak Thai as you could have gone yourself to the office and would probably know the locals better.

To Marshbags - sorry but I just don't understand your choosing NOT to learn Thai - speaking the language of the country you live in essential in my opinion unless you want to be a slave to your wife. What do you do if you need to take your car to the mechanic? Go for a massage? Go to the dentist?Make new friends? There are a hundred other things I could write. Do you take your wife with you? Are you stuck in a little expat bar? Speaking/reading Thai in Thailand gives one a great freedom and many benefits. I wonder what the few people here who choose not to learn it would think of a foreigner in their home country having this attitude.

In post 52 are you talking about chanote land?

Edited by Neeranam

It's generally accepted that such land can be sold or traded amongst local people (born in the area).

But it can't be sold to 'out of area' Thais, or the government will take it back.

Hi Bill

I'd seriously think about paying someone in the land office to get that land upgraded. If not, when your wife dies there could be some real problems ie the land office people will claim it. What if your son wants to move away from where you live and can't sell all this land? Do you have a lawyer? This situation seems very fishy to me.

It a shame you can't speak Thai as you could have gone yourself to the office and would probably know the locals better.

To Marshbags - sorry but I just don't understand your choosing NOT to learn Thai - speaking the language of the country you live in essential in my opinion unless you want to be a slave to your wife. What do you do if you need to take your car to the mechanic? Go for a massage? Go to the dentist?Make new friends? There are a hundred other things I could write. Do you take your wife with you? Are you stuck in a little expat bar? Speaking/reading Thai in Thailand gives one a great freedom and many benefits. I wonder what the few people here who choose not to learn it would think of a foreigner in their home country having this attitude.

In post 52 are you talking about chanote land?

I don't really want to get too involved and now I have found out the land status it puts a little different view on it.

When I started the thread I had forgotton the various types of land paper but my wife who took all the paperwork with her merely said the the Tessaban and the Amphur had told her it could not be done and she was correct. I did apologise to her as I was 100% in the wrong.

We do know several people in the Tessaban but in view of the corruption going on, if we did manage to "change" the land status and later all of the land gets upgraded we could have a real problem.

Most of the places I go to I do go on my own and make myself understood more than 50% of the time buy yes it is frustrating not to be able to speak Thai. Both my wife and I have looked around the area for someone to teach me Thai but even the "English" teachers at the schools up to 10 km away canmnot understand or speak enough English to teach me Thai. If I need to know something English in Thai they can't understand what I want to know.

Most of the places I go to I do go on my own and make myself understood more than 50% of the time buy yes it is frustrating not to be able to speak Thai. Both my wife and I have looked around the area for someone to teach me Thai but even the "English" teachers at the schools up to 10 km away canmnot understand or speak enough English to teach me Thai. If I need to know something English in Thai they can't understand what I want to know.

Actually that wasn't directed at you.

To learn any language, the experts say only L1 should be used. When I taught English here, we weren't allowed to use Thai. So, when learning Thai, the best way is for the teacher NOT to speak ANY English. This is the way I learned - total immersion in the language.

I,ve been here for 20 years and my ability to speak the language is at most very basic indeed ( not because I haven,t tried ), the tones are very difficult and like somone has aleady been mentioned to difficult for a lot of foreigner, especially older people like us.

You can learn to read and write Thai without bothering with tones.

Sorry, there really is no excuse.

Absolutely - it's amazing how anyone would have buy property here without even trying to learn to read Thai. It can be learned in a month, half an hour a day. People who don't just don't want to which is fine but just amazes me - why not learn with your kids?

If it's fine not to learn Thai (read and write) in approx 15 hours why are you amazed? He only has one kid .