Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

To prevent problems, the government is in need, that the road surface work is done in the last 2 weeks before the race.

If it's older, there would be a lot of repairing needed. and I don't think, that anyone want the usual asphalt bumps, after the normal Thai style road repair on a racetrack!

Or they giving this to a foreign road construction company.

Na, they wouldn't. Foreigners do not do so big paybacks, they need a bit of the money for the work!

• Like 1

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero....-recap-results/

The top speed ever acheived by a formula one car during a race was 369.9 km/h (229.8 mph) set during the 2004 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Italy by driver Antônio Pizzonia of the BMW Williams F1 team driving the FW26 powered by a BMW 3.0 litre v10.

I stand corrected on Long Beach. Not sure why that number jumped out at me but something that always stood in my mind since seeing a race there when I was younger. Again not a big fan of the sport but when I did follow it, I know all the various tracks had different speeds and not sure why that would be different now since they are all configured so differently.

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero....-recap-results/

The top speed ever acheived by a formula one car during a race was 369.9 km/h (229.8 mph) set during the 2004 Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Italy by driver Antônio Pizzonia of the BMW Williams F1 team driving the FW26 powered by a BMW 3.0 litre v10.

I stand corrected on Long Beach. Not sure why that number jumped out at me but something that always stood in my mind since seeing a race there when I was younger. Again not a big fan of the sport but when I did follow it, I know all the various tracks had different speeds and not sure why that would be different now since they are all configured so differently.

No problem here smile.png but now the engine size are the same and out put power but more on down force

Edited by sjjmmi
  • Like 1

No problem here but now the engine size are the same and out put power but more on down force

Are the speeds governed at all? I was just looking at track configurations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_circuits) and just can't see how a track like AVUS could compare with some of the other tracks that barely have any straight aways. Mind you I have no idea what AVUS actually consists of (could be like skiing on a slope of moguls) but it would seem like the ultimate street race for top speed.

Edited by Nisa

Imagine Sebastian Vettel driving his car on the roads, then suddenly a big hole appears on the road in front of him cause and he drives into it, then Thailand would be the laughing stock of the world.

Na, Vettel would be!

Didn't he know, to drive carefully on Thai roads? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

How long did it take to refashion the road between Pattaya Tai and Jomtien? Roads suitable for high speed racing by 2014? I don't think so.

That's a tricky question isn't it ?

Well, as far as I'm aware it's was already full of holes again before it was finished, so the answer to your question would be .......Forever.

No problem here but now the engine size are the same and out put power but more on down force

Are the speeds governed at all? I was just looking at track configurations (http://en.wikipedia....la_One_circuits) and just can't see how a track like AVUS could compare with some of the other tracks that barely have any straight aways. Mind you I have no idea what AVUS actually consists of (could be like skiing on a slope of moguls) but it would seem like the ultimate street race for top speed.

I believe the top speed depends on the track and the rules of the series on what is allowed on the car or design of the car. I'm not sure tracks have a maximum speed limit. F1's are limited by their drag. Open wheels and wing settings.

If it gets too fast they will shove chicanes in. See the 2 chicanes put on the Mulsanne straight at Le mans. Cars (not F1's) were hitting around 240mph it made it diificult for the drivers too judge the much slower speed needed for the corner at the end of it especially at night.

From my limited knowledge of Avus it hasn't been used for years and was mainly used by Hitler to showcase Germanys engineering pre-war with the, for the time, very high powered Mercedes and Auto Unions,

I doubt a modern F1 would reach more than 200mph on a street circuit.

Edited by arthurwait

"The Other Paper" refers to two potential venues.

1. Ratchadamnoen Avenue

2. Muang Thong Thani.

The Ratchadamnoen site is, I believe, in the vicinity of Khao San Rd and Sanam Luang. Could it be that F1 race cars will be hurtling around Sanam Luang, the Grand Palace and Wat Po areas back up to Democracy Monument?.

The Red Bull connection here is strong and will be a source of big money as well as the ....Bhakdi families Singha and Chang. Heck the Yoovidhya (Red Bull)family even has a spare Ferrari driver waiting for a ride.By 2014, Mr Thaksin may be back in time to turn on the 5 red lights, making the area another red-light district and even more popular with tourists.

However, in reality, I can't see it happening, but then again, we may find that there's a Myanmar GP and a Cambodian GP in the works too.

Basically it's all up to Bernie .

Muang Thong Thani, u must be joking...it's not exactly a large area and the roads are all in terrible condition, and it's a high density residential area too....but F1 cars blasting down Chaengwattana should be a sight....imagine the traffic chaos !

• Like 1

Are the speeds governed at all? I was just looking at track configurations (http://en.wikipedia....la_One_circuits) and just can't see how a track like AVUS could compare with some of the other tracks that barely have any straight aways. Mind you I have no idea what AVUS actually consists of (could be like skiing on a slope of moguls) but it would seem like the ultimate street race for top speed.

I believe the top speed depends on the track and the rules of the series on what is allowed on the car or design of the car. I'm not sure tracks have a maximum speed limit. F1's are limited by their drag. Open wheels and wing settings.

If it gets too fast they will shove chicanes in. See the 2 chicanes put on the Mulsanne straight at Le mans. Cars (not F1's) were hitting around 240mph it made it diificult for the drivers too judge the much slower speed needed for the corner at the end of it especially at night.

From my limited knowledge of Avus it hasn't been used for years and was mainly used by Hitler to showcase Germanys engineering pre-war with the, for the time, very high powered Mercedes and Auto Unions,

I doubt a modern F1 would reach more than 200mph on a street circuit.

You are absolutely right on the Avus track not being used. It wasn't until just went back to the link that I see it actually shows the seasons the track was used and it was only used in 1-season back in 59. I was never a big racing fan but used to go to a lot of different races as a kid and loved watching all sorts of races live but now not only can't name top drivers but likely never would have heard of them if somebody did mention their names. However, I am very excited about this and really hope it actually happens. I'd love to see a race like this in the streets of Bangkok.

Interesting to those of us not familiar ...

Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh (15 July 1914 - 23 December 1985) ... better known as Prince Bira of Siam (now Thailand) or by his nom de course B. Bira, was a Formula One and Grand Prix motor racing driver who raced for the Maserati, Gordini, and Connaught teams, among others. He was also the only Thai race car driver to race in Formula One. Birabongse was the only Southeast Asian driver in Formula One history until Malaysia's Alex Yoong joined Minardi in 2001. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birabongse_Bhanudej

What a site for international TV if the mo-cye taxi's & drivers just ignored the race and found a way to use the track as a short cut and just drove down the track the wrong way as the F1's went by and everybody just took it in stride like when they drive on sidewalks and go down the street the wrong way.

• Like 2

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all? Then there is customs for the cars and equipment.

I think the biggest question will be where, and what facilities will be provided. Korea was supposed to have a Yacht harbor at their purpose built track, and that didn't happen. Plus their track is one of the bumpiest of the purpose built tracks. I think they'll get dropped from the calendar.

Monaco, Singapore, Valencia are all street courses with yacht access. Abu Dahbi is a purpose built track with yacht access. A riverside run would be nice, but there isn't a good place that I know of.

Will prove to be interesting, as F-1 politics usually is.

• Like 1

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

The Australian govt are seriously considering ditching the Melbourne Aussie GP since it consistently makes a loss. Hosting an F1 is a matter of national pride and there is no shortage of Petrodollar or emerging nations itching to get in on the scene even if it means losing lots of money for the ego trip. It's the same with the olympics, when tax money is being spent you can't put a price on national pride. The FIA know this, so charge top dollar because the list of wannabe's in long. I'm doubtful though that they will run with Bangkok when to other regional cities so close by are hosting.

To prevent problems, the government is in need, that the road surface work is done in the last 2 weeks before the race.

If it's older, there would be a lot of repairing needed. and I don't think, that anyone want the usual asphalt bumps, after the normal Thai style road repair on a racetrack!

Or they giving this to a foreign road construction company.

Na, they wouldn't. Foreigners do not do so big paybacks, they need a bit of the money for the work!

Seeing the state and planning of BKK´s roads we may very well see the first F1 racing team sponsored by adult diapers. Team Depends, keepin´ it in under any circumstance!

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

How so?

When I have done short-term work here I have been given a temporary work permit after application at the airport.

As far as I am aware there are no "different criteria" that exempt foreigners from work permits no matter the circumstances.

If its a street circuit then the traffic will be an even bigger nightmare for the weeks leading up to the race and the week after as certain roads will need to be shut off for the track and diversions for all the traffic.