Chalerm Rules Out Thaksin Extradition

webfact

LEGAL ISSUES

Chalerm rules out Thaksin extradition

The Nation

30192635-01_big.jpg

Democrat Party deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij, right, and Democrat MP Satit Pitutecha called on Lumpini Police Station superintendent Colonel Rangsan Praditphon yesterday, asking to see the document that former PM Thaksin Shinawatra allegedly sent

Rejects cases stemming from coup; Korn doubts Thaksin's signature

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could not be brought back to face prosecution in Thailand because all the cases against him stemmed from the 2006 coup.

Chalerm was responding to Democrat MP Sathit Pitutecha, who reminded the House of Representatives that Thaksin was wanted in relation to many cases, including alleged irregularities in relation to money lent by Krung Thai Bank to Krisda Mahanakorn.

Demands 'inappropriate'

However, the deputy PM defended Thaksin by saying that such demands were inappropriate because all the cases against Thaksin, including the one related to the Krung Thai Bank, had been initiated by the Assets Examination Committee, which was created by the coup-makers.

Chalerm added that he refused to recognise the legitimacy of the coup-makers.

"Thaksin is being dragged into these issues through slander. Let me reiterate that this government has been strictly adhering to the law, but on this matter it does not have any power.

'Questionable laws'

"Let me ask a question: in the case of the Ratchadaphisek land purchase, [Thaksin's] wife bought the land, but you convicted the husband?

"No other country would do this, only Thailand.

"So, I will not seek his extradition. When Thailand has better rules, and not just those that admire the court, then I will ask Thaksin to return," Chalerm said.

He also said that he did not need to explain when and where he met the former leader because it was a private matter and that the opposition Democrat Party was welcome to file a censure motion against him.

Sathit, meanwhile, accused the government of engaging in preferential treatment and being selective in terms of using the law, adding that the Office of the Attorney-General had the right to seek Thaksin's extradition.

Chalerm responded by saying that if Thaksin is a criminal, then the Department of Special Investigation would definitely try to arrest him.

Separately, Democrat Party's deputy leader, Korn Chatikavanij, cast doubts over the authenticity of Thaksin's signature on a document used to file libel suits against four Democrat MPs over the "men-in-black" issue.

Korn said it would be a serious violation of the law if the signature was found to have been faked by Thaksin's legal team.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-19

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So, I will not seek his extradition. When Thailand has better rules, and not just those that admire the court, then I will ask Thaksin to return," Chalerm said.

Just wondering, did Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm also mention he's still busy writing those 'better' rules ?

Or mention that over half a billion dollars has been illegally sent to Hong Kong from flood relief fundage and one of the alleged culprits is a high ranking politician with the initials Ch? Wasn't he just pictured in Hong Kong fully ear medication faced meeting with Thaksin the criminal fugitive? Seems a strange relationship, one of them drives a pink Bentley. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Firstly I would put in a censure motion against this clown for making these statements and a vote of no confidence against him. He has been at his post for five minutes and is flaunting blatant disregard of the law already (his MO anyway).

Most of the scams undertaken by Thaksin and his cronies happened way before the coup and the reason for it, and it was left up to the new Govt to action charges against him. It has nothing to do with the Govt this clown claims unilaterally not to recognise.

Just another smart-assed mouthpiece of the puppet master smirking at the inability of police and law enforcement to do anything.

• Like 1

Whenever I see news like this I remember the... simpletons (to put it mildly), who after the elections were waxing poetic about Thailand´s return to Democracy®.

Those people may want to explain in what Democracy® the government can say "we will strictly adhere to the laws... the ones we like anyway".

• Like 1

Funny, I always thought that skipping bail in 2008 was a crime too, but clearly DPM-Chalerm knows better ? wink.png

Or failing to appear before the Supreme Court in the banking-case last week, also clearly coup-related, not ! laugh.png

What it boils down to is a matter of quantity. How much ear medicine have you had. Obviously a considerable amount. Even his own sister's government wants him here and have issued warren's to that purpose. Along with the knowledge that short of his death there will be more to follow.

When Thailand has better rules, and not just those that admire the court, then I will ask Thaksin to return," Chalerm said.

It was only 10 days ago that 25 people appeared at court to answer charges Thaksin was also summoned to answer the same charge(s) but he failed to appear, now this clowns comments have surely given the 25 who appeared a way out?

"Let me ask a question: in the case of the Ratchadaphisek land purchase, [Thaksin's] wife bought the land, but you convicted the husband?

"No other country would do this, only Thailand.

If my memory serves me correct, it was shown that Thaksin used his wife and his sons name to make unscrupulous deals, which is fairly common practice in matters like these!

I do however agree with "No other country would do this, only Thailand" if it is applied to the way the matter of Thaksin's extradition and issue of his passport is concerned.

He also said that he did not need to explain when and where he met the former leader because it was a private matter and that the opposition Democrat Party was welcome to file a censure motion against him.

So Yingluck's assurance of transparency now does not apply?

Thailand's politics are the laughing stock of the world and rank alongside the likes of Ghana, Somalia and Nigeria.

• Like 2

If the dems couldn't get him back under an extradition order during their 2006-2011 reign then how on earth do they expect the current Thaksin proxy sympathetic government to perform an extradition for them?

What extradition order?

And what 2006-2011 reign? The military junta was in charge from Sept 2006 to Dec(?) 2007. Then Thaksin proxy governments were in power until late 2008. The Dems were in power from late Dec 2008 to June 2011.

If the dems couldn't get him back under an extradition order during their 2006-2011 reign then how on earth do they expect the current Thaksin proxy sympathetic government to perform an extradition for them?

Maybe they didnt want him back, hence the reason they never persued things with Interpol too hard...

I think it would be more effective for the Dems to go after Chalerm himself instead. They must have some serious dirt on him.

Taking Chalerm down hard would be maybe equally demoralizing for the PTP and Shinawatra clan.

BBBBZZZZT!!!!

Sorry, you used "demoralizing", PTP and Shinawatra in the same sentence; you lose 75 points and have to go back three squares.

Mr Thaksin will not return to Thailand any time soon because he knows eventually someone will shoot him dead.....

Which would make him a martyr and re-energize the radical red shirt faction(s). Not to mention plunge the country further in to chaos.

It would not be in anybody's interest. It would seriously backfire.