Saw A Bust Go Down- Then Got A Ticket...

Lancelot

Had an action packed day yesterday :)

First I ordered some Michelin tires for my CBR 150 at Pattaya Gan Yang tire shop. Its 2kms north of the Sukumvit- Pattaya Nua intersection. Great shop and very helpful and polite.

Any way, I'm comming out of the tire shop, easing into stopped traffic on Sukumvit, north bound, when I see a guy holding a pistol and walking south towards a vehicle. Next around four other guys with pistols come from all direcctions, yelling for the guy in the vehicle to get our of the car. I pulled over to the side and laid down on the pavement, expecting shots at any moment. Naa, the guy gets out of his vehicle, they handcuff him and walk him to another car. The perp is smiling all the time, doesn't seem at all bothered. I suppose they were Thai undercover police, no one was wearing a uniform.

Now traffic starts again but then a red light brings us to a halt. I've been this was three times recently on my was to Chonburi DLT, so I stop, then slowly move forward (light still red) like I've seen the Thais do many times. Guess what? I get maybe 100 meters past the light and a uniformed cop stops me. Gota be a document check right? Nope, he is polite and ask me if I understand that I ran a red light. Yes, I did, and I stopped first. His buddy already has the ticket to the cashier. She growns like she is sympathetic, points to a large sign in Thai and says 1,000 baht. <deleted>? I read the sign as best I can and yeah, the fine is clearly 1,000. I pay up, she enters 1,000 baht in a large numbered cash journal, gives me a numbered receipt also showing 1,000 baht and I'm on my way. The arresting officer meets me outside and hands me back my license.

I take responsibilty but be warned, they will nail you for 1,000 baht, at least at Banlamung.

Who says farangs don't pay tax? 555!

You better stay home for the remainder of the day eh Lancelot, maybe watch an action movie in the safety of your living roombiggrin.png.

Also be careful when turning left in an intersection, sometimes you can go when red light sometimes you can't.

You better stay home for the remainder of the day eh Lancelot, maybe watch an action movie in the safety of your living roombiggrin.png.

Also be careful when turning left in an intersection, sometimes you can go when red light sometimes you can't.

You got that right! Most of my days are pretty uneventful, but yesterday made up for that!

About left on red lights, I think its permissable when there is a blue sign indicating a left turn. Truth be told I was still thinking about the bust/arrest and was getting the heck out of Dodge...

Edited by Lancelot

Sounds excessive to me. I ran a red light in the far left lane at a T-intersection (as all the Thais usually do), and was fined B400. I did have to go to the station, however. This was also in Banglamung. I don't run that light any more.

Edited by JSixpack

nice story and concur with others that i would have laid down too, trying not to wet my pants! thnx for sharing

It all went down so fast but my first thoughts were that it was a robbery. Then I heard the voices and in my limited Thai language skills I could make out that it was an arrest.

I'm having too much fun here to check out but a stray bullet.so yeah, i hit the dirt.

Live to ride another day na :)

Sounds excessive to me. I ran a red light in the far left lane at a T-intersection (as all the Thais usually do), and was fined B400. I did have to go to the station, however. This was also in Banglamung. I don't run that light any more.

Red light running fees have been risen to 1000 Baht since a few months.

I guess they need money as Pattaya is dying.whistling.gif

nice story and concur with others that i would have laid down too, trying not to wet my pants! thnx for sharing

But that's because you have only 103 posts yet. Once you have over 500 posts,it will be a daily occurence and you'll jump of your bike and do the actual arrest while the cops are standing by.biggrin.png

I don't get it. The OP ran a red light. What was correct about that? Some responders seem to think he was taking a left turn on the red, the equivalent of a right turn on Red here in the USA, but is that what happened? If not, then, well, isn't it a simple case of running a red light?

But that's because you have only 103 posts yet. Once you have over 500 posts,it will be a daily occurence and you'll jump of your bike and do the actual arrest while the cops are standing by.biggrin.png

Well a few of the local motocy taxi guys rushed in to lend a hand smile.png

The first guy I saw approaching the perps vehicle from the front, on the passenger side. He was in a semi croutching stance, holding a chromed (nickle?) pistol and I though "Shit, he's pointing it at me!" Then more guys approached from every angle and by then I was off the bike and taking cover. The nicely dressed Thai girl beside sat there, unconcerned, as if she were watching a Thai sopa opera on TV.

Yours truly was hugging Mother Earth like they taught us in basic training smile.png

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

Over the last few months, they put up signs at that kind of intersections stating "On red stop here!"

If there is no sign like the above, "running a red light" may be at risk of a fine.

Well in the UK it is £60 (3,000) and 3 penalty points on your licence for running a red light...

And that is a fixed fine, if you fail to pay or contest it you get you day in court and you can end up being fined £1,000 (50,000B) for that offense.

Well in the UK it is £60 (3,000) and 3 penalty points on your licence for running a red light...

And that is a fixed fine, if you fail to pay or contest it you get you day in court and you can end up being fined £1,000 (50,000B) for that offense.

They have considered to introduce the point system here also............But most Thais would run out of points by the end of the day.

They have considered to introduce the point system here also............But most Thais would run out of points by the end of the day.

And many don't have a license to run out of points on. sad.png
  • Like 2