Pickup - Which Is The Most Comfortable Ride And Fuel Economy?

thaicruze

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Follow your heart, as they say.

And no, a D-Max is NOT a rebadged Colorado.

And your wife hating a pickup?

probably something to do with face.

No. She doesn't care about that. She's been in pickups and says the ride is crap and they're loud. I'm trying to convince her to test drive a nice one, but I want to know which will give the nicest ride (for a pickup).

Pickup = country boy/lady (ban nok). ...farmer...

Ladies prefer to show up more "city like"

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Pickup = country boy/lady (ban nok). ...farmer...

Ladies prefer to show up more "city like"

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

My wife prefer a pick-up and we live in Pattaya. Having a house it will very practical at times when buying big plants for the garden and so on. My sons electrical car have broken down a couple of times and only way to transport it in the honda city is to put the front passenger seat all the way back and I can just squeeze it in but can see anything on my left, lol.

When we see a Ranger on the road my wife looks a bit concerned and says it's very big do you think I can drive one? I better mount rear parking sensors as a minimum on mine before my wife starts to drive it.

post-42643-0-01389800-1350695050_thumb.j

If you really need a pickup, and can deal with the poorer ride quality, the BT-50 seems a little more compliant over the bumps than the Ranger, which only just edges out the D-Max, which feels a tad softer than the Colorado, which is very noticeably better than a Triton or Hilux, which both make the Navara feel very stiff wink.png

If you're just wanting something big and relatively cheap, and don't care about running costs, get the base PJS 2.4L gasoline 5MT for 915K - it's got about the same city manoeuvrability as the previous gen Civic, and better ride quality and noise suppression than a current gen Accord (though admittedly, that's not hard), and will far exceed any Thai market pickup truck on these criteria...

Was looking at it. What gasoline do you put in there? What's the worst case fuel economy?

If the diesel gets 11 km/l combined and the gasoline is worse then I wouldn't get it. The one I would want us the 2.5 GLS which is 1,014,000. Yikes.

The Triton White Pearl - 845,000

Triton was a class leader, now near the bottom, next year the ALL NEW Triton may put it back up there again...

averaged out 14 km/l combined on my diesel BT50

averaged out 8,5 km/l combined on a friends petrol Triton..

Many Thai websites show the new Triton for 2013

Sometimes I don't understand how Thai think about "losing face". What is wrong with owning a solid go anywhere do anything pickup truck. Some is even close to a million baht. They still don't know that if Gov really tax this type of vehicle like those in North America...these high end truck could cost close to a low end BMW.

What's the difference between a hi-lander and a VCross? Is it that the vCross is 4x4? Is it taller? I don't get it.

Can't get in the website because they insist on making car sites in Flash.

To my knowledge the VCross is the top of the range 4X4 ISUZU. It does have larger tyres and leather seats with electric drivers seat and many more extras.

The IZUZU 3.0 Lt Turbo gets 10Kilometres to the Litre in Automatic and 10.6 Kilometres to Lt in Manual.

One thing I do like about the Isuzu is in wet weather or bad roads, you can turn the 4x4 High nob at 100 Ks an hour for safety and grip.

This is the OZ web for ISUZU and the VCross in Thailand is called a TErrain in OZ

http://www.isuzuute.com.au/Showroom-4x4-Crew-UTE-LS-U-Overview.aspx

Edited by OZEMADE

One thing I do like about the Isuzu is in wet weather or bad roads, you can turn the 4x4 High nob at 100 Ks an hour for safety and grip.

...as you can do with the BT-50, Ranger, Colorado and Triton too ;)

• Like 1

I think the Triton is the only 4x4 pickup with a centre diff. The part time systems are fine on wet slippery roads but not ideal driving on the highway through rain storms when the road goes from wet to dry and back again.

That's just a photoshop nose job on the current body. The next gen will be much more angular in appearance, with more sculpted lines..

OK, but the current new Outlander and Lancer have that nose job, looking a few days ago it appeared that many models not in Thailand have the same nose job...... the new look ?

No. She doesn't care about that. She's been in pickups and says the ride is crap and they're loud. I'm trying to convince her to test drive a nice one, but I want to know which will give the nicest ride (for a pickup).

of course your wife is wrong because the ride in a pick-up is not only crap but crap²! why people buy pick-ups when they don't have to transport heavy loads every day is beyond my grasp. but then... to each his own.

what happened to the 20" wheels for the "Croose"? and why would you sell it now after the huge investment in new brake pads? huh.png

How about something else, rarely mentioned but I would say a decent alternative: Nissan X-trail. I think it is a bit over 1.1m but I believe you could negotiate some discount. No 4wd, but good interior, surely better riding than any pick up based vehicle.

Could not read the test by Jimmy of headlight magazine but the figures were not bad for it in terms of engine and consumption I thought.

My wife has the old model with 4wd and now in 5 years ownership she still does not want to let it go as her and even me think there is nothing really out there with more character...it looks different (all black with dark windows a bit mafia looking). In 5 years it did not miss a beat. As there are not that many around it gives a bit of exclusivity....at least more than a PJS or Honda Cr-v, the later I never liked design wise. And as you seem to be looking at those things, otherwise you would not have gone the Cruze way (instead of Civic, Altis) the Xtrail might be an option.

Otherwise you could wait Mazda cx5 coming probably earlier next year.

The Triton White Pearl - 845,000

You should easily be able to get 20-25K off this, maybe more, plus a big list of freebies probably totalling another 25K.

Of the other pickup brands I suspect that only Nissan would be keen to negotiate. Isuzu, Toyota and Ford only seem to say "that's the vehicle, that's the price, order it or clear off".

If you want GPS in a Triton, either pressure the dealer to throw in a Garmin (or wait until they do another factory promotion that includes one standard), or if getting a 'plus' model with the Alpine touchscreen, add a Kamaz or Alpine navi black box to it...

I bought a Garmin Nuvi for 4000B which I keep in the glove box and use on the passenger seat. Seems to work fine.

The Alpine player supplied with the Triton is great for CDs (and MP3s on CD/DVD), with very good sound, but it has no USB socket and the radio reception is crap. USB socket can be added, at a modest cost.

of course your wife is wrong because the ride in a pick-up is not only crap but crap²! why people buy pick-ups when they don't have to transport heavy loads every day is beyond my grasp. but then... to each his own.

what happened to the 20" wheels for the "Croose"? and why would you sell it now after the huge investment in new brake pads? huh.png

4,000 baht is a huge investment??

I spend half that on a nice dinner and a movie.

Edited by thaicruze

If you want GPS in a Triton, either pressure the dealer to throw in a Garmin (or wait until they do another factory promotion that includes one standard), or if getting a 'plus' model with the Alpine touchscreen, add a Kamaz or Alpine navi black box to it...

I bought a Garmin Nuvi for 4000B which I keep in the glove box and use on the passenger seat. Seems to work fine.

The Alpine player supplied with the Triton is great for CDs (and MP3s on CD/DVD), with very good sound, but it has no USB socket and the radio reception is crap. USB socket can be added, at a modest cost.

Hmmmmm. That may be a deal breaker. Why don't cars come with USB standard?

When I was car shopping. The Mazda 3 came with NO USB, but the cheap Mazda 2 did. Craziness.

BT-50. 874,000. Has USB. 17" rims. I like that. And she likes the lights.

Not too sure about the rest though.

Edited by thaicruze

When I was car shopping. The Mazda 3 came with NO USB, but the cheap Mazda 2 did. Craziness.

BT-50. 874,000. Has USB. 17" rims. I like that. And she likes the lights.

Not too sure about the rest though.

Seriously? >_> A car is bought first of all for its aptitude to take you safely from point A to point B. Or to carrry weighty stuff around...

Not for its aptitude to be a multimedia center.

I sometimes remain mesmerized by your choice criteria...:lol:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Nevertheless, says a lot of your fickle nature... I guess you have been trying to get over your buyer's remorse with those unnecessary add-ons... But you would have done better buying a suv from the outset.

The entertainment consoles are just bought in from electronics manufacturers at a bulk discount. It happens that Mitsu use a fairly old (but very high quality) Alpine unit in the Triton Plus, which they probably bought in a job lot from Alpine for very little cost. It doesnt have USB as sold, but the USB add-on black box can be fitted for a couple of thousand Baht. The SatNav add-on is more expensive.

If I was bothered about the lack of built-in SatNav and USB etc I would just dump the supplied unit and buy a new one from a car accessory shop that had everything I wanted. But personally I'm not bothered about having a separate SatNav (built-in ones are often difficult/impossible/expensive for map updates) or an add-on box for USB, so the supplied unit suits me.

it must be nice to be rich wink.png

With the BT50 (and Ranger), the interior features I like best are the bluetooth, the rain sensing wipers and buttons on the steering wheel. As far as the motor, the 2.2L has plenty of low end power. The ride is surprising good and planted while driving up the curvy highway to Chiang Mai. Although driving over speedbumps at low speeds it swoshes back and forth like a small boat just like any truck. The cabin noise is nearly as quiet as high end sedans as mentioned in several road tests.

Any savings in fuel economy is negated when you have to search for a large enough parking space. laugh.png highway fuel economy is great but city fuel economy is pathetic.

You should probably go and test drive every model that you are interested in as everyone here will champion the vehicle they bought, therefore all of them are better than the rest.

• Like 1

That's just a photoshop nose job on the current body. The next gen will be much more angular in appearance, with more sculpted lines..

OK, but the current new Outlander and Lancer have that nose job, looking a few days ago it appeared that many models not in Thailand have the same nose job...... the new look ?

The 7-year old wide gaping trapezoid mouth design language used on the current gen Lancer and Outlander is being retired.. Mitsu's lastest design language can be seen on the 2013 Outlander:

2012outlander500x300.jpg

The 7-year old wide gaping trapezoid mouth design language used on the current gen Lancer and Outlander is being retired.. Mitsu's lastest design language can be seen on the 2013 Outlander:

2012outlander500x300.jpg

As far as I can see this photo is for the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-in Hybrid.

As for others will they also look like this or like the below ?

post-42643-0-90439200-1350779850_thumb.j

post-42643-0-12387900-1350779883_thumb.j

post-42643-0-98378900-1350779909_thumb.j

post-42643-0-27021700-1350779944_thumb.j

post-42643-0-58615700-1350779974_thumb.j

post-42643-0-95094900-1350780006_thumb.j

So what is the 2013 Mitsubishi look ?

With the BT50 (and Ranger), the interior features I like best are the bluetooth, the rain sensing wipers and buttons on the steering wheel.

You should probably go and test drive every model that you are interested in ...

I can't say that the features you mention would be of the slightest interest to me, but I'm glad you like them.

As for a test drive, chance would be a fine thing. When I was looking to buy none of the dealers/brands I approached had a vehicle of the (common) type I wanted available for testing. A couple of dealers had something similar (mostly with manual transmission rather than the A/T I was after). One had a model that I could look at but not drive.

Car dealers in Thailand are a dead loss.

With the BT50 (and Ranger), the interior features I like best are the bluetooth, the rain sensing wipers and buttons on the steering wheel.

You should probably go and test drive every model that you are interested in ...

I can't say that the features you mention would be of the slightest interest to me, but I'm glad you like them.

As for a test drive, chance would be a fine thing. When I was looking to buy none of the dealers/brands I approached had a vehicle of the (common) type I wanted available for testing. A couple of dealers had something similar (mostly with manual transmission rather than the A/T I was after). One had a model that I could look at but not drive.

Simple - go and hire one for a week and test it out in all conditions

wow that sucks! I don't think I could buy a vehicle that I didn't first test drive. I drove the BT-50 before deciding to book it. Test drove the Ranger around the parking lot at the motor expo which was nearly pointless. Also was offered a test drive in the Isuzu but lost interest before hand.

Not all dealers in Thailand are a loss as my mazda dealer is excellent. And that's why for me, quality of service is one of the deciding factors of my purchase.

wow that sucks! I don't think I could buy a vehicle that I didn't first test drive. I drove the BT-50 before deciding to book it. Test drove the Ranger around the parking lot at the motor expo which was nearly pointless. Also was offered a test drive in the Isuzu but lost interest before hand.

Not all dealers in Thailand are a loss as my mazda dealer is excellent. And that's why for me, quality of service is one of the deciding factors of my purchase.

That was also a factor in deciding to buy a car... I almost gave up on the PJS because I could not find a test drive... You must insist heavily and call headquarters if need be. They will find a dealer who has a car to test drive.