Traffic Law ?

poanoi

I just got fined 400 baht for taking over on the right lane,

where both lanes going in the same direction, on sukumvit.

So is this the law in thailand ?

and if so, does that give me the right to take over on the very left of the left lane ?

or is motorbikes prohibited from taking over altogether ?

If i want to contest this in court of law, how do i proceed ?

It's a heavy bike if it has any relevance

I would speak for myself.

Primarily, i want a written and signed statement that state what IS the law in this matter.

and yes, it wasnt that i took over, but that i had used the right lane, which is from what i know universally the appropriate lane while taking over.

Also universaly is to go back to left lane after the overtaking is done, which i did.

Edited by poanoi

Yes this is law if you are not actually overtaking someone and as stated believe on some roads motorbikes are not allowed in the right lane.

As regards contesting this in court...my first response is....cheesy.gif ....my second response in your defence why dont you claim the fine was politically motivated, seems that is an acceptable defence these day...

sadly Poanoi you chose the wrong forum to ask on, most of the posters on here are just here to ridicule or have a superior attitude rather than just give a sensible answer,

It would appear here that there is no option to go to court, most people just pay the fine, it seems the simplest way, of course it does not fix the problem, it allows the problems to carry on, you seem to have no redress with motoring offences.

Yes this is law if you are not actually overtaking someone and as stated believe on some roads motorbikes are not allowed in the right lane.

As regards contesting this in court...my first response is....cheesy.gif ....my second response in your defence why dont you claim the fine was politically motivated, seems that is an acceptable defence these day...

OP said he was overtaking.

Take it on the chin OP and learn road rules.

sadly Poanoi you chose the wrong forum to ask on, most of the posters on here are just here to ridicule or have a superior attitude rather than just give a sensible answer,

It would appear here that there is no option to go to court, most people just pay the fine, it seems the simplest way, of course it does not fix the problem, it allows the problems to carry on, you seem to have no redress with motoring offences.

Yes, it was a 50/50 to post in bike or general forum,

since there isnt any thai traffic law forum to my knowledge

Hey theres a topic idea, Thai road rules.

Traffic law in Thailand. Now that's an oxymoron!

Op, I understand your frustration but its better and easier for your stress levels to just accept you will get the odd fine on the road........just think of it as a minor road tax and carry on enjoying the rest of Thailand.

A cop pulled me over a while ago while I was driving a car just after over taking another car, when the cop saw me he stuttered a bit then said "in Thailand we drive in the left lane unless overtaking", then my wife let fly at him, he quickly waved us on.

Sent from my GT-I9003

I would speak for myself.

Primarily, i want a written and signed statement that state what IS the law in this matter.

and yes, it wasnt that i took over, but that i had used the right lane, which is from what i know universally the appropriate lane while taking over.

Also universaly is to go back to left lane after the overtaking is done, which i did.

You will be in a Thai court speaking for yourself:

Do you understand how a Thai court works?

Can you speak and understand Thai?

Do you know anything about Thai law?

Your written statement will be in Thai, can you read that?

in Thailand they drive in whatever lane suits them at the time, and enforce whatever laws suits them, the individual, at the time too.

1 as a Ferang you're an easy target especially if not accompanied.

2 defend yourself,, really, your fluent in speaking/reading Thai, and know Thai court procedure ? I doubt it, on both counts.

3 400 baht, Life is too short, go kick something, beat the pillow, scream off the balcony, whatever. MOVE ON.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

A couple of years back I got fined 400 (proper written ticket) for driving in a bus lane .... and I wasn't in a bus lane. Anyway, just copped it on the chin and paid it.

I understand your frustration OP - the principle of the matter etc - but IMO it's still not worth fighting it.

Were you not able to negotiate it down to Thb 100-200?

A few times, a cop has tried to pull me over for being in the right lane or being on the main road where there is a frontage road but I normally just look at him and carry on (not speeding mind you). How did he manage to stop you? Did he step in front of you?

And finally, which section of Sukhumvit were you on?

So there ARE traffic laws in Thailand!1 I think they must change everyday!!!

The same laws as are used in Australia, Britain and New Zealand, the difference is in each of the affore mentioned countries the law is strictly enforced, here in Los its up to the interpretation of the individual officer, which in essence means Thailand has thousands of traffic laws all operating at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Thanks @Semper

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall

keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus

lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

and for benefit of others, here is the unlocked pdf.

And btw, if thailand have other traffic regulations than the rest of the known world,

then why is international driving license valid ?

and it was right before pattaya, coming from bang saree

tlaw0140_5.unlocked.pdf

Edited by poanoi

Yes, it was a 50/50 to post in bike or general forum,

since there isnt any thai traffic law forum to my knowledge

Hey theres a topic idea, Thai road rules.

Would mean that forum rules would be not adhered to like the Thai road rules are not adhered to? Just kidding

Edited by ripstanley

I commiserate with the OP

My idea used to be exeactly the same as his.

On one memorable trip to Issarn 8 years ago, I was flagged down by two old cops...smelling of liquor.

They alleged I was speeding, and demanded 200 baht.

I stuck to my guns, and refused to pay.

The cop spluttered, consulted with his colleague, and came back for another crack at prising boodle from me.

I again refused to pay.

( If I felt I was guilty of speeding.. I unfailingly paid up.

This was an obvious ripoff.)

Anyway...he told me I'd have to go back to the police station...I said "OK"

He was stuffed.

He took a step backwards, and waved me on.

I was feeling pretty good.

As matter of principle, I had beaten the old buggar.

As we drove down the road, my sister in law who had been watching this unfolding drama with ashen face, said to me, "What would you have done if had shot you dead?"

I had been extraordiarily STUPID.

The reality is that in Western countries, the Rule of Law prevails.

Thailand has almost the same system...except that it's Rule BY Law.

The LAW...is exactly what any copper says it is...at any place , at any time.

In the event that he had shot me to death...there would have been no enquiry...and if my any wild chance my family had done some s**t stirring...it would have been all covered up.

I really DO commisarte with the OP.

The reality is that that Thailand is NOT the same as "back home".

Cops--ALL cops-- have the power of life and death over you and me.

Thailand looks to be the same as wherever it is you came from.

And so it is.

UNTIL either wilfully--and I choose that word carefully-- or accidentally, you irritate ANY policeman.

You are entirely without power, and in any case, it seems to take around two years to get a case to court.

I'd have to agree with an earlier poster...learn , and move on.

Crack open a bottle of red wine..and reflect upon the pain the Syrian Govermnnment is inflicting on it's people, or upon Gangnam Style dancing..

Or some such diversion.

Thailand is NOT the place to stand on principle.

You could get yourself killed.

Literally.

OP said he was overtaking.

Take it on the chin OP and learn road rules.

So what does the Thai highway code say on this one as I can't see what he did wrong? He overtook someone and returned to the left lane. What's wrong with that?

Myself, I try my hardest never to stop for the thieving cnuts.

Thanks @Semper

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall

keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus

lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

and for benefit of others, here is the unlocked pdf.

And btw, if thailand have other traffic regulations than the rest of the known world,

then why is international driving license valid ?

and it was right before pattaya, coming from bang saree

Do you indicate ?

Section 36 (500B)

[When a driver is to turn the vehicle, let another vehicle to overtake, change traffic lane,

reduce speed or stop the vehicle, he shall display hand signal (Section 37) or light signal

(Section 38). When the condition doesn't permit the visibility of hand signals (like at

night), he must use the light signal.

The driver must display the hand signal or light signal not less distance than 60m before

turning the vehicle, changing traffic lane, or stopping the vehicle.

The hand signal or light signal must be visible to other drivers at not less distance than

60m.]

Section 38 (500B)

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:

a. to stop the vehicle, ..

b. to turn the vehicle or change traffic lane, ...

c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for

turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the

vehicle.