Best Home Internet

Sydneycraig

I guess adsl best but they require higher setup costs and yearly+ contracts? Just need best solution for 2 or 3 months Internet at a villa. If cant get fast unlimited 3G that i can hook into the villa wifi network then would consider a plan

If you're only planning to stay at that location for 2 or 3 months, then an "unlimited" 3G plan might be a good choice. Each of the carriers is a bit different, but I think a familiar plan would give XX GB of 3G data and then fall back to some slower speed above that. Not sure in Phuket if there are really unlimited mobile 3G plans offered.

As for DSL, the major providers often are running no cost or very low cost install promotions. But if you're an entirely new customer, they do often have contract terms whereby if you cancel service before the first 12 months they'll turn around and charge your their "nominal, official" rates for setup and install, which can be pretty high.

I'm not in Phuket, so I can't advise on the best local options there to fit with your needs. Might check on the Phuket subforum here.

There is no unlimited mobile data plans in Thailand. Well unlimited yes, but the connection is capped after high speed quota is met.

These likely require longer term contract, 1 year or so.

Check if CAT fiber at home is available for your location. CAT office is at Phuket town.

If not, then TOT or 3BB ADSL.

If not, then TOT or 3BB airnet or similar wifi connection.

------------

Mobile internet, 3G, 3,5G, 3,75G

TOT, CAT, DTAC, AIS or True 3G connection.. or mixture of these - with Mifi device.

If you have work permit, you can get CAT 3G as postpaid subscription. Without work permit, you need to deposit 6 months in advantage. I'm not sure if the money is refundable.

DTAC and I suppose others have prepaid options as well.

There is no unlimited mobile data plans in Thailand. Well unlimited yes, but the connection is capped after high speed quota is met.

If you have work permit, you can get CAT 3G as postpaid subscription. Without work permit, you need to deposit 6 months in advantage. I'm not sure if the money is refundable.

CAT 3G, known as My3G, is a True product that is capped, bandwidth and performance very quickly fall off to near dial up speed. It does not require a work permit for post paid, any long stay visa will do.

3G is virtually useless as a substitute for ADSL. The speed is slightly better than dial up modem ... terrible. You can't even watch YouTube and if you do, they'll hit you with a "Fair Use" limit of 2 or 3 gigs. Useless.

• Like 1

3G is virtually useless as a substitute for ADSL. The speed is slightly better than dial up modem ... terrible. You can't even watch YouTube and if you do, they'll hit you with a "Fair Use" limit of 2 or 3 gigs. Useless.

+1 Perhaps in a couple of years, until them it's ADSL all the way.

Fast and unlimited in the purest terms for a 3G plan probably ain't going to be possible in Thailand.

Although the 3G carriers advertise their plans like "Unlimited 1GB 3G, Unlimited 2GB 3G, Unlimited 5GB 3G, etc., " there will be fine print saying what that means is you can get full 3G speed reaching up 42Mb in speed if we lived in a fantasy world or did speed testing in a laboratory environment with only one user on the cell tower.

However, but, in the real world where your smartphone/tablet has a max 3G capability speed of probably 3.6, 7.2, 14.4, or 21.6Mb your device couldn't handle 42Mb 3G speed (not to be confused with Wifi speeds which can be higher). And, at least for me, on my DTAC 3G service it seems the 3G towers are running at 7.2Mb speed---not that I can always get that speed here in Bangkok nor it don't drop out of 3G speed to Edge speed in certain locations. But regardless of what 3G speed you might get, that fine print continues on to say Fair Use limits apply which means after you use your monthly allotment of data (i.e, that 1GB, 2GB, whatever plan/amount you bought) then can continue to use unlimited amount of data but it will be throttled to a max speed of 384Kb or 64Kb until the start of your next billing month.

Would be best to go with a home internet xDSL or DOCSIS plan for fast and unlimited internet---or at least a lot faster and more unlimited than 3G plans.

Edited by Pib