Questions About Bringing A Dog From U.s To Thailand

loofa

Okay, here goes. We have recently moved to Thailand. Our family dog is staying temporarily with friends in the states, but may not be able to continue with them indefinitely. Secondly, we all really really really miss our dog, and believe she would be most happy being with us, even in Thailand. I'm about to go back to the states for a couple of weeks and am seriously thinking about bringing our dog back to Thailand when I return. I have already:

* done all the vetrinary footwork

* researched Thailand's laws regarding pet importation

* verified that she can ride in the passenger cabin as a prescribed service dog

so all those ducks are seemingly in a row, however I have many doubts and would welcome (kind) conscientious input. My fears/concerns/doubts are:

* between airport arrival, flight, and disembarkment in Korea (first leg), that will be about 15 hours of not being outside - she'll wear a dog diaper, but what if, being the good dog she is, she won't go? That would be physically dangerous, not to mention excruciatingly uncomfortable

* I have confirmed by phone one airline that says they will definitely let her on the plane in the passenger cabin. but you all know how things can go - not everyone seems to have the same rulebook once you get to asia. what if one of my flights just won't let her on?

* layoever in Korea - haven't been able to confirm if I'll be able to take her outside of the airport yet even though I know that Korea has the same dog import laws as Thailand - problem is that if I take her outside, then according to Thailand, she will be a dog coming from Korea, not the states. I can't seem to find out if this will be allowed.

* all my online research has shown that while Thailand reserves the right to quarentine dogs upon arrival, so long as you have your papers in order regarding vaccinations ect., they don't do it. Can anyone confirm this?

* And even if all that goes well enough, once we are in Thailand - anyone out there ever known of/used public transport with a medium sized (18 kg) dog here? Would they let her on a train or bus? or would I have to hire a private driver to go all the way across the country?

Okay, I think that covers it. I would love input from others who have brought pets into Thailand. What was your experience? Please keep it nice - I almost posted this on a more local and friendly forum, but thought it would be good to reach a larger audience here as I'm more likely to find others who have non-native pets. Please don't tell me I'm horribly selfish to want to bring my dog (believe me, I have considered at length what is best for her versus what I and my family want - this post is an extension of that serious consideration), and please don't tell me that the locals are going to eat her - let's keep it to real and caring conversation, and trust me that no one is going to try to eat my dog. : )

I have never heard of a dog being allowed in the cabin. But it is perfectly allright to send it as "excess luggage" where it goes into the hold of the aircraft which is heated and pressurised. It must be in a proper carrying cage and will come out on the carousel wiith your luggage. They have a vet counter in the arrival hall and they are very efficient aand helpful

Dogs are not normally allowed on buses and as far as trains go it is questionable. If the dog is small you might be OK as long as you pay a small fee.But at 18kg I doubt it.You could rent a car at the airport which usually has a drop off policy, or simply bargain with a taxi to take you to your destination.

Under NO circumstances allow your pet to be sent by air cargo. Some really ignorant Australian vet did this and our dog ended up in the cargo terminal and we had to spend two days getting it released and had to get an import permit and pay duty. No duty or import permit is required if you bring it with you as personal luggage.

My advice to you is get a direct flight or one with no change of planes. And have them send it in the hold. All airlines accept pets this way..

Eva is a good airline for pets.We bought over a small dog and cat with them.We hired a van to take us home.But I have seen a dog flying with Nok air since this.There is one place we found in Bangkok that allows pets one dog and one cat only.That place is Oakwood Residence.There is more than one but only one allows pets.Nice place.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

thanks for replies smile.png I can't get a direct flight as I'm beholden to using the one airline that will allow her in the cabin - and they don't have a direct flight. direct flights from west coast of the u.s. are limited regardless. I'll definitely look into the Oakwood for a stop over before heading up north, thanks for the tip. I suspect that I'll end up having to hire a driver, but I'll inquire at the train station soon to make sure.

nice to know about the vet counter too.

Thanks again for input.

thanks for replies smile.png I can't get a direct flight as I'm beholden to using the one airline that will allow her in the cabin - and they don't have a direct flight. direct flights from west coast of the u.s. are limited regardless. I'll definitely look into the Oakwood for a stop over before heading up north, thanks for the tip. I suspect that I'll end up having to hire a driver, but I'll inquire at the train station soon to make sure.

nice to know about the vet counter too.

Thanks again for input.

Cathay Pacific allow service dogs, May I ask the breed ? Cathay Pacific for example have very strange rules for pets.

http://www.cathaypac...icBreeds_EN.pdf

http://www.cathaypac...gyoutravel/pets

Edit

I also want to add you will not be able to take her out to relieve herself, also with liquids some airports will confiscate them even for transit passengers, I know Toyko and Seoul does so you'll need a small $ bill to buy water at a store and a bowl. I travelled with Hartz pee pads easy to carry & dispose of.

Edited by WilliaminBKK

Thanks for the tip on Cathay - I'm about to call them as they are one I had not thought to try (never flown them). Of all the airlines I did try, only Korean Air would take service dogs for anything other than blindness.

Looking over Cathay's list of pets they won't take, it's just the breeds with the smushy noses - like pugs. At this point it seems that most airlines don't take them since they so often get respiratory problems, especially with altitude/pressure issues. Our dog is a besenji mix - on the small side of medium size.

Did you bring your dog as a service dog? and if so, did you just put the pads down on the cabin floor under where your dog was?

Also, when you say they won't let you take the dog outside to relieve themselves... is this even if you have a super long layover do you know? I'm looking at a flight with a 13 hour layover; normally you can leave the airport in this case.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the tip on Cathay - I'm about to call them as they are one I had not thought to try (never flown them). Of all the airlines I did try, only Korean Air would take service dogs for anything other than blindness.

Looking over Cathay's list of pets they won't take, it's just the breeds with the smushy noses - like pugs. At this point it seems that most airlines don't take them since they so often get respiratory problems, especially with altitude/pressure issues. Our dog is a besenji mix - on the small side of medium size.

Did you bring your dog as a service dog? and if so, did you just put the pads down on the cabin floor under where your dog was?

Also, when you say they won't let you take the dog outside to relieve themselves... is this even if you have a super long layover do you know? I'm looking at a flight with a 13 hour layover; normally you can leave the airport in this case.

Thanks so much!

I've only travelled with my pet onboard many years ago and he has to remain in the cage that fit under the seat, he is NOT a service dog.

I have flown when a service dog was on-board & from what I recall they like to place passengers with service animals at the aft of the cabin, so it could be a little stressful with all the passengers using the lavatory, but I assume service dogs are so well trained it wouldn't bother you dog.

Those pads are fantastic, not only on-board but for transit as you wont be able to leave the airport & super easy to dispose. They wont allow you to leave even with a super long layover as every country has import rules about animals, so you would have to do all the paperwork & fees, perhaps with a service dog there is a different set of rules-the airline will be able to tell you but I expect they'll say no.

CX in my opinion is a better carrier than KE.

What city are you departing from ? East Coast US or West Coast ? I'd personally pick a flight that is a late night, midnight departure as the rest of the passengers will eat and sleep right away making it less stressful on your dog.