Tourist Slashed And Stabbed 5 Times In Unprovoked Attack

aonangmrhuw

Stop whinging and DO SOMETHINGS! get all ur friends and family all over to past the message....Boycott Thailand not only for tourism but in other ways...boycott thai products etc and also treat overseas thais the way they treat foreigners in their country. Only through drastic measures that will affect their rice bowls.....will some good come from it!

By the way....why is that no comments from agancies like the Toursist Police or the Tourism Authority of Thailand or the Toursim Minister????????????

Real Garbage is all I can say.

• Like 2

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British press are running it....that'll do wonders for tourism.

http://www.dailymail...ach-resort.html

Amazing how the Daily Mail morphed this in to a pack sex attack when apparently she was unharmed and they would have been free to do what they wanted to her after stabbing the boyfriend.

So you giving the Scum credit for not attacking and harming the girl? Read the article and what is being said about the area It's not policed .

Brit ex-pat slams Thai authorities for allowing 'gangs of teenagers, armed with knifes and machetes, to roam Ao Nang like a Hollywood horror movie'

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2AQQPEoD9

And neither are some areas in the UK! Every police force I know complains of not having enough officers. Even with more CCTV coverage than anyother country random gang attacks like this occur in the UK. I read of similar issues in Australia and the US regularly. Drink, drugs, soical conditions, gang culture, poor parental responsibility etc etc. I've witnessed bad attacks in the UK where people have intervened and waited a longtime before the police finally turn up. In one instance the police, an elderly male officer and young female officer has absolutely no appetite for pursuing a druggie who had damaged several vehicles on our business car park when they finally turned up. Police should be involved in crime prevention but need the support of the public. At least the RTP caught these nasty thugs quickly. Let's hope they get duly punished.

Kids are out of control all over. Give it 10 or so more years and wait and see the chaos this country is going to have. Anyone planning on being here for the next 10, 15, or 20 years should start re-thinking their location, as it is only going to get MUCH worse, not better.

And where are you going to go? Jumping from "the frying pan to the fire"?

Because you are right - this problem is all over - not just Thailand.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ThailandBert probably lives in another Thailand ! As I said quite a few cases I translated for, the victims did absolutely nothing to provoke the attack. THis guy is just an apologist who refuses to see hard reality there it might impair his perfect view he has on the place.

Yup, ThailandBert is a"slobbering thai apologist". All his posts/replys favour the thais.

Latest news:

PHUKET: The two youngsters charged with the vicious attack on a British couple on holiday in Krabi last month have yet to stand trial, the Phuket Gazette learned yesterday.

Lt Col Niwat Pimket of the Ao Nang Police, who is the leading investigator into the attack on British tourists Jack Cole and April Clifton, yesterday told the Gazette that both teenagers had been presented in court and charged with gang-attack causing serious injury and carrying a knife as a weapon in public, but the pair had yet to stand trial.

“I’m waiting for documents relating to the 17-year-old suspect [who cannot be named for legal reasons] to be provided by the Krabi Youth Observation and Protection Center,” said Col Niwat.

“I expect to receive the documents, which detail the 17-year-old’s background, soon; then his case can be tried in court,” he added.

Continued here:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article19547.html

On the 30th oct we were informed that they had already received sentences of 3yrs and 10yrs,now it seems they haven't even been tried yet,not that I'm blaming the person who made that post,maybe he was duped into believing it.The Thais have a habit of trying to take the wind out of embarrassing stories.

For me there is something wrong with this. In the 10 years of living here I can't remember a tourist getting attacked for nothing. I have seen plenty here get a good kicking by a bunch of Thai's thinking they were back home on a Saturday night in the own town but never just a random attack.

You also can't get stabbed several times with a 15" knife and suffer the small injuries he seems to have suffered. If it is an innocent attack on a tourist for no reason then it is a worrying trend. Lets hope it doesn't spread and if this is the case the police and the courts make an example of these people.

Right Bert - Guess you missed the Aussie tour guide on Phuket murdered while minding her own business. And as for these 'good kickings' you have seen do you really know the reasons? Or are you just assuming they victims deserved it. The originally poster is probably the most sensible poster in this thread. I certainly have seen a foreigner have a bottle smashed over his head and attacked by a mob from a motorcycle queue in Koh Samui. Kicked long after he became unconscious. He was drunk. May have had an argument or whatever. I am still trying to work out what sort of crime merited this very cowardly behaviour. Accept it as a fact of life and enjoy the good bits about the country.

I owned a bar in Chawang for a while and saw many drunken Farang get a good beating but never once saw one that got it for simply minding his own business. Nobody knows what happened here I just don't think it went down the way he says it did.

Just a gut feeling.

If it did happen they way he says it did then it is a worrying thought.

It's now been reported in the English Media that another English couple were attacked without provocation in the same area, on the previouse Sunday,perhaps you can make an excuse for that attack as well.

It may well be that you saw drunken Farangs getting a good beating, not all Farangs are innocent,however to warrant a good beating,probably carried out by a number of Thai's,as we all know that's how they like to fight, is not necessary,why did the Thai's not resort to reporting the Farangs to their wonderfull police.

Did you ever witness a farang attacking a Thai,and if so, what was the outcome?

I believe that it was most likely an unprovoked attack by a group of scummy teenagers.

But put it in the correct context please. This attack could have taken place anywhere in the world.

Out of control kids are everywhere these days, most likely because the do-gooders have managed to make it impossible to chastise the little when they were being brought up.

Was a time when kids learnt the difference between right & wrong at an early age. That's why this type of crime was less prevalent.

Bottom line - warn people about the no-go areas for their safety, but please don't carry on as if Thailand is the only place in the world with

• Like 1

On the 30th oct we were informed that they had already received sentences of 3yrs and 10yrs,now it seems they haven't even been tried yet,not that I'm blaming the person who made that post,maybe he was duped into believing it.The Thais have a habit of trying to take the wind out of embarrassing stories.

snapback.pnglikewise, on 2012-10-30 19:01:10, said:

Great to hear that. Is he sure that this is the sentence received or asked by prosecutor at preliminary hearing, because usually a case takes months to be handled by court of first hearing?your right ,after talking with Jack and April,the judge said that is what they will get.Many people crying as the 19 year old is expecting a baby in 3 months.

snapback.pnglikewise, on 2012-10-30 19:01:10, said:

Great to hear that. Is he sure that this is the sentence received or asked by prosecutor at preliminary hearing, because usually a case takes months to be handled by court of first hearing?

your right ,after talking with Jack and April,the judge said that is what they will get.Many people crying as the 19 year old is expecting a baby in 3 months.

I believe that it was most likely an unprovoked attack by a group of scummy teenagers.

But put it in the correct context please. This attack could have taken place anywhere in the world.

Out of control kids are everywhere these days, most likely because the do-gooders have managed to make it impossible to chastise the little f*/#@!rs when they were being brought up.

Was a time when kids learnt the difference between right & wrong at an early age. That's why this type of crime was less prevalent.

Bottom line - warn people about the no-go areas for their safety, but please don't carry on as if Thailand is the only place in the world with arseh0les.

////////////////////---------------/////////////////::

Agree with most of what you say, however one main difference is that Thailand does not have

a police force or a judicial system that is not subject to rampant corruption.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not until it actually happens to you that there is a sense of disbelief amonst ex-pats who have lived in the area for a lot longer than i did that there are many unreported incidents taking place.....my girlfriend and i thought it was paradise ( January last year ) until we had bottles thrown at us on the unlit road left at the boxing stadium, it was only when two bikes with 3 thai guys and one veiled woman surrounded us that i knew we might be in trouble, one nasty looking individual snarled and then threw another bottle that hit the wheel, i took off with my g/f panicking and telling me to pull into the 7/11 at the end of the road......i carried on left and a right with them chasing but was too fast, then stood there with the useless security guard to our complex as they went flying past.

The tourist police were informed.....no visit, nothing.

I spoke with a long term resident who said he felt safe and had lived there for years.....four days later he was punched in the eye outside burger king by a young thai guy over a football that was kicked at him, then we spoke to thais we knew who opened up and admitted that people were being targeted all the time especially thai women with falangs......we are in our mid 50's and were minding our own business coming home so there was no provocation, many i was informed are taking the phsychotic ya - ice.

We briefly discussed going back and then dismissed it just as quickly.......Perhaps one day when there is visible law and order.

Edited by Bladerunner2222

The latest tourist police checks are nothing but a joke. Last Saturday I went for a few drinks at Center Point, around 2 am tourist police drove by in their sedan with the the red flashing lights on but at a speed they would never be able to notice any crime/fight in progress !

Nothing much will change, why..... they just don't care.... they pretend they do but deep down inside they can't be bothered about it all.

The latest tourist police checks are nothing but a joke. Last Saturday I went for a few drinks at Center Point, around 2 am tourist police drove by in their sedan with the the red flashing lights on but at a speed they would never be able to notice any crime/fight in progress !

Nothing much will change, why..... they just don't care.... they pretend they do but deep down inside they can't be bothered about it all.

Sadly - I completely agree with you. It's always about how much money they can 'extract' from any situation.

in the philippines a foreigner can legally get a gun licence after a check and a few days at the military academy to get to know your weapon. I did the prescribed course and when my house was burgled by an armed robber it was less hassle than I thought. all you do is put OCCUPANT IS ARMED on your gate..if they break in and get shot..too bad

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

This time i always felt slightly uneasy staying in such a largely populated muslim area for months on end, no matter how friendly i was there was always an element of resentment in the air, the odd glare, a slight push from behind at the counter of the 7/11, a shaken fist from a 12 or 13yr old on the way to Tubkiek beach......I hadn't noticed any of this in the years before.

It's harder times i was told, be careful....... Delve deeper and the truth is falang tourists are not welcomed too far outside of Ao-Nang itself.

• Like 1

This time i always felt slightly uneasy staying in such a largely populated muslim area for months on end, no matter how friendly i was there was always an element of resentment in the air, the odd glare, a slight push from behind at the counter of the 7/11, a shaken fist from a 12 or 13yr old on the way to Tubkiek beach......I hadn't noticed any of this in the years before.

It's harder times i was told, be careful....... Delve deeper and the truth is falang tourists are not welcomed too far outside of Ao-Nang itself.

I honestly think it's related to the popularity of the place now, the more developed , the larger number of tourists and ex-pat residents resulting in an increased and more open resentment . Similarities to Samui ,Phuket and Pattaya started to emerge .
  • Like 2

Sure,there's some truth in what you say,however most Thai Muslims are not religious fanatics,

They are far more relaxed in there attitude to people of different religions.When I first came to Ao-Nang 25yrs ago they were very welcoming and helpful,so what has changed.Perhaps it's because there are now far greater numbers of Farangs,it could also be because Ao-Nang has changed from a small village into a concrete jungle.The locals certainly did not want the girly bars,in fact they held out for many years,until some decided to take the money at the expense of their community.On the part of the Farangs, I have seen some males as well as female tourist completely disrobe in public, without any thought to the locals,Buddhists or Muslims, before putting on their swimming costumes,and many times you will see Farang females walking along the street with the briefest of bikinis( and what a sight ) all of this in a conservative part of the world.I think many of them MAY be starting to resent how their communities are completely changing,sure they want the jobs and the money,for which they now take for granted,but they don't want there whole lifestyle to be so disrupted.

Edited by nontabury

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sad to hear about the demise of Ao Nang and Krabi, It was a great place 12 years ago. If gangs are slashing tourists now,

I will not be returning there..... The true losers here are the tourist based businesses. I am surprised these businesses do

not put pressure on the police to actually perform policing..

Off on a tangent a little, but almost relevant. I'm asking this not to make a point, but because I just don't know Thai court procedure:

When these little darlings do go to trial in a few months or a year, do the victims need to be in court to testify? If so, who pays for their travel to testify? Are they compensated at all for time away from work? Can they expect adequate protection against reprisals from the accused and their friends and relatives? Is it a jury trial?

Or is the case decided by the local judge based on existing information with no need for the victims to return?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Off on a tangent a little, but almost relevant. I'm asking this not to make a point, but because I just don't know Thai court procedure:

When these little darlings do go to trial in a few months or a year, do the victims need to be in court to testify? If so, who pays for their travel to testify? Are they compensated at all for time away from work? Can they expect adequate protection against reprisals from the accused and their friends and relatives? Is it a jury trial?

Or is the case decided by the local judge based on existing information with no need for the victims to return?

Don't think the victims need to be in court,and I would think for sure the Thais would not pay for their travelling expenses.It certainly would not be a trial by jury,they don't have juries in Thailand,for the simple reason,the authorities consider that any jury would be open to corruption,better to have judges,that way you only have to pay one person in order to get the court decision you want.

I last went to Krabi 10 years ago and really enjoyed it, lovely place, people, beaches...... I am going back next month for a 10 day holiday. After reading this thread I'm not really looking forward to it sad.png

Has it really got that bad? Any places to avoid in Ao Nang?

It is about time for a "Truth about Thailand" website...hosted outside the Land of Smiles.

Collate all these Thai on foreigner attacks and push embassies around the world to really pressure the Thai government to make some examples of these perps. Serious travel advice from Foreign Offices is needed for new travellers coming here.

It seems to be out of control now, all over the country...open season on non-Thais.

• 4 months later...

It is about time for a "Truth about Thailand" website...hosted outside the Land of Smiles.

Collate all these Thai on foreigner attacks and push embassies around the world to really pressure the Thai government to make some examples of these perps. Serious travel advice from Foreign Offices is needed for new travellers coming here.

It seems to be out of control now, all over the country...open season on non-Thais.

If the truth about Thailand's crime,road toll deaths, scams etc where common knowledge to tourists and tour companys then the place would have no tourist industry. As it goes the strong baht is more damaging to tourism as Spain and suchlike becomes cheap again. The future for Thai tourism is sadly bleak.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

If the truth about Thailand's crime,road toll deaths, scams etc where common knowledge to tourists and tour companys then the place would have no tourist industry. As it goes the strong baht is more damaging to tourism as Spain and suchlike becomes cheap again. The future for Thai tourism is sadly bleak.

CCC

Doomsday nonsense in line with Chicken Little's "the sky is falling".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

CCC

Doomsday nonsense in line with Chicken Little's "the sky is falling".

Agree !! As long as Thailand's sex industry is allowed to flourish, (illegally,) it will remain the fuel of the tourism fire, corruption as smoldering remains of legitimacy.

It's not until it actually happens to you that there is a sense of disbelief amonst ex-pats who have lived in the area for a lot longer than i did that there are many unreported incidents taking place.....my girlfriend and i thought it was paradise ( January last year ) until we had bottles thrown at us on the unlit road left at the boxing stadium, it was only when two bikes with 3 thai guys and one veiled woman surrounded us that i knew we might be in trouble, one nasty looking individual snarled and then threw another bottle that hit the wheel, i took off with my g/f panicking and telling me to pull into the 7/11 at the end of the road......i carried on left and a right with them chasing but was too fast, then stood there with the useless security guard to our complex as they went flying past.

The tourist police were informed.....no visit, nothing.

I spoke with a long term resident who said he felt safe and had lived there for years.....four days later he was punched in the eye outside burger king by a young thai guy over a football that was kicked at him, then we spoke to thais we knew who opened up and admitted that people were being targeted all the time especially thai women with falangs......we are in our mid 50's and were minding our own business coming home so there was no provocation, many i was informed are taking the phsychotic ya - ice.

We briefly discussed going back and then dismissed it just as quickly.......Perhaps one day when there is visible law and order.

Apparently 3 millions Thais (out of a population of 65-66 million so that means around 4.5% of the population) are addicted to meth although most of us would never know (which is why you were the first poster to mention this here), living in our comfortable Bangkok apartments or houses located inside housing estates, visiting shopping malls full of well-to-do Thais and foreign tourists and expats, the streets are full of traffic with many new cars and even the street vendors seem to have smiles on their faces (and apart from the cleaners in Paragon, some of whom aren't even Thai but Burmese or Cambodian) these people are at the bottom of the economic barrel, and yet everyone seems to get along with each other. This is the Thailand I know or at least the one that appears in front of my eyes everyday.

And then I become shocked to hear about such violence or even lesser incidents that occur even if we're talking Ao Nang rather than Bangkok, but obviously these locals that are on meth have no control over their actions wherever they may be. I don't think many of them are even necessarily targeting foreigners per se, but rather, they are looking for scapegoats and whoever, Thai or foreigner that happens to get in their way is fair game for them to do something unpredictable towards.

I think we should all start to stop being apologists for Thailand and pretend like all is well and that crime is always lower here than back home, by not looking at the country through rose-tinted glasses. The reality is that while most people here are still honest, decent and hardworking, a significant minority does not fit into that definition. Meth addiction is out of control and anyone that has ever traveled up and down the highways of Thailand, especially at night will have noticed the numerous checkpoints most of them are to check for the presence of drugs and no, these checkpoints are not just located in border areas close to Myanmar/Burma but throughout the country. Also, Thailand is still a developing country with lots of social problems (and despite the government claiming only 0.5% unemployment perhaps the lowest in the world!, the real figure is probably much higher at perhaps 5-10% since only those actively seeking work who can't find it would be included in these statistics not those that don't work and don't want to work either) and not being a totalitarian or communist state means that people have more freedom to commit crimes full well knowing that the punishments dished out to offenders will not be nearly as harsh as if they were living in China, Vietnam or even Laos.

I also don't think these incidents that posters here have described are just recent occurrences either although before drugs became as big a problem as they are now they probably weren't as numerous as they are now - having said that drugs have been a problem in Thailand for many years. However, I'd say that most likely crimes like this weren't as widely reported in the past, but with much wider access to the internet and social networking, news sources, internet forums etc. than say 10-15 years ago we are hearing more and more about such events and all I can say it's a sad development and I feel for all of you, both foreigners and Thais that have suffered from these kind of punks. In particular, while I haven't been to Ao Nang since I was a young child with my parents and brother, it makes me think twice about holidaying there and thus I'll probably consider heading straight to places I'm familiar with where I haven't encountered any problems (for example Ko Chang or Ko Samet, Hua Hin, Ao Manao) or perhaps just skip Thai beach resorts altogether and head straight for Malaysia or Vietnam, the latter country I head to for beaches far more regularly than any in Thailand and my Thai girlfriend loves it over there - there are no girly bars, visible prostitution, unprovoked attacks on tourists or other shady things - usually the worst things that happen is getting ripped off by a taxi or something but that can easily be avoided especially if you take an official taxi or hire a motorcycle instead. In places like Nha Trang and Mui Ne, you have beautiful resorts, nice restaurants, beer gardens, local kids skateboarding and playing games on the sidewalk along the beach at night (something you just don't see in Thailand), Lao tourists from southern Laos that drive their cars all the way to the Vietnamese coast to come to the beach and a much more positive vibe than here.

Edited by Tomtomtom69