Nok Air Fails To Lift Off, Skids Off Runway

george

As stated earlier, TG does the maintenance for Nok. TG is a an excellent airline (safety most definiately included in that statement). Anyone who begs to differ apparently isn't in the know. In fact, I just seen Lufthansa's Airbus A300 (B6) parked over at TG's maintenance hangar for probably a C check. I'd say if Lufthansa trusts TG enough for their maintencance requirements - that speaks volumes on it's own.

The 737-400 that skidded off the runway is Nok's. It was just leased from TG a matter or weeks ago.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nok Air plane skidded off the runway at Don Muang after emergency landing, but there were no casualties.

A Boeing 737 belonging to Nok Air had to perform emergency landing after just a few minutes after taking off from Bangkok airport yesterday.

Nok Air flight DD 4506 had requested emergency landing from the control tower at Don Muang (ดอนเมือง) Airport at 2 pm yesterday, after having taken off at 1.48 pm. The pilots had informed the control tower that the engine of the plane was malfunctioning and an emergency landing had to be made. The plane landed safely after the control tower prepared the runway and emergency units for the landing. Of its 110 passengers and 5 crewmen, no one was injured from the landing. However, 2 were slightly hurt in the process of evacuating the aircraft.

Nok Air executives said that the captain of the flight bound for Phuket decided to bring the aircraft back to Bangkok after abnormal noise was detected from the right wing. The plane then encountered glitches in the braking system while performing the landing and it skidded off the runway.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 Febuary 2006

One 2 Go had an unreported incident a couple of weeks ago. My GF and daughter were on a flight to phuket and despite being over halfway to Phuket from BKK, the pilot announced that he was going to have to return to BKK. The reason was not stated and rumours abound about this sort of thing so I won't say any more other than to say that when the plane landed at BKK, ambulances and fire trucks were waiting as though they expected a problem. Fortunately the plane landed safely.

An alternative plane was arranged at Don Muang, so of course everyone had to collect their luggage and check in again. The plane was boarded and sat at the gate for an hour and a half before the pilot finally decided that the plane was not ready to fly, again for unknown reasons. My GF rang me (I had been waiting for her at Phuket airport). The time was 3:30, exactly the time that was stated on the board as the ETA. I went to the information desk to be told that the plane would be arriving at 3:30 as (re)scheduled! I told them that I didn't think this would be the case as the plane hadn't even taken off. They didn't believe me, though 15 minutes later the ETA had changed to "cancelled". Why had nobody informed Phuket Airport about this beforehand?

They finally arrived on an evening Thai Airways flight, Thai accommodating all the passengers, well those that hadn't gone home, by upgrading to a 747. Only 7 hours late.

I wonder what was wrong with the two One 2 Go planes? I'll still continue to use them, along with the other budget airlines as Thai are now too expensive, as are my preferred carrier on the BKK-HKT route, Banggkok Air.

together with the fact that he already had lost half the braking power ie. no reversetrust on that side and asymetric braking.

I still think the crew did a good job, but we don't have all the facts.

And that they were probably landing a little 'hot' to minimize possibility of stalling.

Thai Railways is looking better and better all the time.
If only the 4 hour train to Hua Hin took four hours instead of six. I still love taking the train for the people and scenery, but Goddamn they are off schedule here. My Kingdom for a Mussolini!

Hands up if you can spell QANTAS! :D:o:D

Queensland And Northern Territories Air Services - I saw an old film about them, ages ago. Starring James Stewart, I think.

Anyway, I'm using the pick-up next trip. Better to arrive 10 or 12 hours late than dead on time.

On 18th January 1934, the formation of Qantas Empire Airways Limited took place, which combined the interests of Imperial Airways and Qantas (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited). :D

Queensland And Northern Territories Air Services - I saw an old film about them, ages ago. Starring James Stewart, I think.

Anyway, I'm using the pick-up next trip. Better to arrive 10 or 12 hours late than dead on time.

On 18th January 1934, the formation of Qantas Empire Airways Limited took place, which combined the interests of Imperial Airways and Qantas (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited). :D

Dammit! There's always someone who knows more! :D As I said, it was a long time ago... :D

OK, so what was the film about the start-up of QANTAS called? (Maybe it wasn't Jimmy Stewart).

Interesting to see QANTAS spelled SO many different ways.

QANTAS has the best air safety record in the world bar-none.

QANTAS has never lost a life due to accident or incident on a commercial passenger flight.

All that said I agree with previous posters that point out, when your number is up, it won't matter who you're flying with.

Yeah, nobody gets killed on the roads here.

cv

Interesting to see QANTAS spelled SO many different ways.

QANTAS has the best air safety record in the world bar-none.

QANTAS has never lost a life due to accident or incident on a commercial passenger flight.

All that said I agree with previous posters that point out, when your number is up, it won't matter who you're flying with.

It is often claimed,that Qantas has never had a fatal crash. However, the company's official line is that it has never lost a "jet" aircraft. ...SORRY.....

Prior to the jet era,Qantas had fatal crashes

One was on 16 July 1951, when De Havilland Drover VH-EBQ crashed in New Guinea after an engine failure, killing all seven passengers and crew.

Other fatal accidents occurred in 1927, 1934, 1942, 1943 (×2), and 1944. :o

Qantas' record in the jet era was spotless until Boeing 747-400 VH-OJH over-ran the runway by 220 metres while landing in a rainstorm at Bangkok in 1999.

There were no fatalities; however, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau criticised numerous inadequacies in Qantas' operational and training processes.

Repairs to the nine-year-old aircraft were undertaken in China by TAECO at a cost in excess of A$100 million and it was suggested at the time that this expense was solely to avoid a hull-loss being recorded, a claim Qantas denied. (could have bought a new jumbo but wouldnt have kept their record) :D

The following year 747-300 VH-EBW was damaged when its landing gear collapsed while taxiing at Rome. It also returned to service after repairs.

On 21 August 2005, an incident occurred involving Qantas Airbus A330-300 VH-QPE with 178 passengers and 13 crew aboard. The aircraft made an emergency landing at Kansai Airport in Osaka, Japan after an indication of smoke in the cargo hold.

The Osaka Control Tower reported seeing smoke on landing, so an emergency evacuation was declared as a precaution and emergency slides were deployed. 9 passengers were injured and hospitalised. Subsequent investigation found no sign of smoke or fire, and it is believed that the cargo fire sensors were faulty.

The aircraft was only 15 months old at the time of the incident.

On 2 February 2006, a Qantas Boeing 767, carrying 155 passengers and 11 crew, and a United Airlines 747, carrying 99 passengers and 14 crew, were involved in a wing clipping incident while on the runway of Melbourne's Tullamarine International Airport.

United released a statement saying its flight 840 from Melbourne to Los Angeles "reported a wingtip touch with a Qantas aircraft as it taxied". No passengers were injured in the incident :D

Must be the time of the year or something but still recon its the safest way to Travel......

Luton Airport opens again after a jet went off the runway...

It was later examined by air crash investigators and

passengers using Luton Airport have been warned to expect delays.

The Airport was closed on Sunday because a jet from Germany overshot the runway,however none of the three crew and one passenger aboard the private Challenger 600 Series jet was injured.

Air accident investigators examined the plane, which was stuck in mud, before it was moved.

The Bedfordshire airport re-opened just after midnight, but delays are expected on Monday.

Cancelled departures

After the accident, the Civil Aviation Authority suspended all incoming and outgoing flights, while an investigation began..

BBC news

Yeah, nobody gets killed on the roads here.

cv

Well I normally fly Nok Air to BK from CMX, this weekend however I needed my car in BK.

Whilst driving I had TWO close shaves, too close for comfort, and witnessed TWO plie ups, and too many other things that would make your hair stand on end. :D Half the people driving, especially after dark are either half asleep or drunk. and if you can't see tail lights in front of you, chances are there is 16 wheeler without lights blocking your view :D

I will be flying Nok Air as usual next time.

These sorts of "scares" happen from time to time, its the law of averages IMO, lets just be grateful nobody was seriously injured

Edited by ThaiPauly

Yes, but if you looked closely it says "Operated by Nok Air"

Here's another tip for you... stay away from the 747's that Thai Orient uses as I'm pretty sure those planes are quite old. I just flew back from Phuket this weekend by Thai Airways and it was smooth in both directions. For <$100 I'm not risking my life with these budget carriers, especially that ones that use older planes.

Nice! I was just about to book them........

Here's another tip for you... stay away from the 747's that Thai Orient uses as I'm pretty sure those planes are quite old. I just flew back from Phuket this weekend by Thai Airways and it was smooth in both directions. For <$100 I'm not risking my life with these budget carriers, especially that ones that use older planes.

My NOKAIR flight from BKK to CMX this morning was cancelled and I was transfered to TG. (wonder why? :o )

They have (NA) just informed me that tomorrows flight back is also cancelled.

We will be transfered to Orient :D

Not to be outdone by their competitor, AirAsia has their own reported incident:

AirAsia: No explosion on Ubon flight

Published on February 07, 2006

Thai AirAsia denied television reports yesterday that there had been an explosion aboard one of its planes en route to Ubon Ratchathani.

Tassapon Bijleveld, CEO of the Thai-Malaysian low-cost airline, said the right-side rear tyre of the plane was found to be leaking air during a maintenance check-up, which was launched after all the passengers had safely departed the plane.

“All passengers had left the scene by the time we found it [the puncture]. There were no injuries,” he told The Nation yesterday evening. “[Yet as a result,] the flight back to Bangkok will be delayed by six hours, from 4pm to 10pm.”

Some TV channels reported in the evening that one of the passengers aboard Flight FD3320 had heard the sound of an explosion as the plane was landing in the Northeastern province.

The flight left Bangkok at 1.30pm and landed in Ubon Ratchathani at 2.30pm.

The episode followed an accident involving a Nok Air plane on Sunday during an emergency landing.

My NOKAIR flight from BKK to CMX this morning was cancelled and I was transfered to TG. (wonder why? :o )

They have (NA) just informed me that tomorrows flight back is also cancelled.

We will be transfered to Orient :D

The domestic routes normally use either a 757 or an MD-82. These aren't too bad, but their international routes use the old 100/200 series 747 which are getting pretty old, although I've seen such aircraft flying recently with western carriers like Northwest as well. All comes down to maintnence. There are plenty of DC-8s and 707s still flying cargo runs. (Saha Air in Iran still runs regular 707 passenger service!). They're terribly inefficient but so long as they maintain them properly they'll still fly a long time.

cv

Just to clarify that explosion on Air Asia...

Air Asia plane blew its tire while landing yesterday, but landed safely anyways

An Air Asia plane had blown its tires while landing at Ubon Ratchathani Airport yesterday.

Air Asia flight FD-3320 had flown from Bangkok and landed at Ubon Ratchathani Airport at 2:35 P.M. yesterday. During landing, the plane's right rear tire blew up, but fortunately, the aircraft safely landed and no passengers were hurt.

The aircraft was bound to make a return trip to Bangkok for flight FD-3321, but this had to be delayed due to maintenance work. A Thai Airways plane later delivered the set of equipments required to patch up the Air Asia craft.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 Febuary 2006

Just to clarify that explosion on Air Asia...

Air Asia plane blew its tire while landing yesterday, but landed safely anyways

An Air Asia plane had blown its tires while landing at Ubon Ratchathani Airport yesterday.

Air Asia flight FD-3320 had flown from Bangkok and landed at Ubon Ratchathani Airport at 2:35 P.M. yesterday. During landing, the plane's right rear tire blew up, but fortunately, the aircraft safely landed and no passengers were hurt.

The aircraft was bound to make a return trip to Bangkok for flight FD-3321, but this had to be delayed due to maintenance work. A Thai Airways plane later delivered the set of equipments required to patch up the Air Asia craft.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 Febuary 2006

Maybe if they lose their license, they'll have time to check the tires on all their planes during the down time:

Thai AirAsia May Have License Revoked

Losing an engine at a time like that requires a split second decision to avoid a catastrophy. Kudos to the flight crew for keeping their cool, and the cabin crew for getting everyone out unhurt. A moment of indecision could have turned this into a tragedy.

Btw, 1-2-Go has a more modern domestic fleet now, and AirAisa's 737s are an older series than the ones flown by Nok, but neither are exceptionally old. Many major western airlines fly the identical models.

cv

1-2-Go is more modern? That is not the point. The point being the quality of maintenance and the oversight by authorities - which in Thailand is virtually non-existant on both accounts. If the truth were known as to the mere numbers of engine failures at Orient Thai (or 1-2-Go if you prefer) you would NEVER even think of flying them nor would any reasonable or proper agency allow them to fly - period.

Nothing was mentioned as to WHY the aircraft left the runway - or how it left the runway. An engine failure in and of itself is NOT a reason for an airplane to 'skid off the runway.' A landing after an engine failure - catastrophic or otherwise should end with a near normal landing. I would look to improper actions by the flight crew or other malfuntunctions, or both, as a reason.

Ya buy your ticket and ya takes your chances. I limit my chances with a choice of airline - and they are not the best to choose from!

One 2 Go had an unreported incident a couple of weeks ago. My GF and daughter were on a flight to phuket and despite being over halfway to Phuket from BKK, the pilot announced that he was going to have to return to BKK. The reason was not stated and rumours abound about this sort of thing so I won't say any more other than to say that when the plane landed at BKK, ambulances and fire trucks were waiting as though they expected a problem. Fortunately the plane landed safely.

I wonder what was wrong with the two One 2 Go planes? I'll still continue to use them, along with the other budget airlines as Thai are now too expensive, as are my preferred carrier on the BKK-HKT route, Banggkok Air.

You can tell your GF that she got to land with one 'working' engine on that flight... fun eh?!

Incidentally, which is the best airline to use when travelling form the UK to Thailand.

That's open to alot of personal opinion as there's dozens to choose from. Polls done in the travel forum have usually given EVA and Singapore the top marks.

cv

Incidentally, which is the best airline to use when travelling form the UK to Thailand.

Best is very subjective.

Price ?

Safety ?

Confort ?

Timing ?

There is always a compromise to be made and it is up to each to decide.

If money was no object between Bangkok and London I would take BA in F class

...Nothing was mentioned as to WHY the aircraft left the runway - or how it left the runway...

I thought that the pilot pulled off onto the grass next to the runway simply because he wanted his passengers to land on soft grass rather than hard concrete after they slid down they emergency chutes. Very thoughtful of him.