Sales Clerk Training Center Needed

toenail

Yes, there has been venting and complaining on the Pattaya Forum about the lack of customer service...but how worse can it get? Today at Central Department Store (which I assume would do some training with their employees) have three clerks squatting behind the counter looking at a movie on someones cellphone while I have to go to them to ask about the price of a pair of shoes (prices are always hidden it seems ). Next, I go to another store to try on a pair of shoes and tell the clerk, "size 42" (in English and Thai). I try the shoe and mysteriously it is too small. I look and it is a size 40. I inform the clerk that I had said size "42" --- NO HAVE, she says. That explained for the unexpected small fit. Next, I go to the Asian Bazaar -- three clerks in a row are on their cell phones while I am asking for some information...another one in another shopis too busy to help me since she is eating her noodle soup. One shop I walk into and decide to puchase the scented soap for a gift, has no clerk. Cash register on-- so tempted to walk out with the gift soap. I have heard all kinds of excuses why there is a lack of customer service but doing some training and giving the clerks some kind of commission would certainly help to improve this negative aspect of shopping in Pattaya. Why do owners of these shops invest mega baht inmaking the stores look nice and trendy; yet, provide inferior service to their customers?

Funny, that there are no replies yet. I would think this subject to be a big hit, but maybe it has been covered so much aalready. I would think that the city would come up with some kind of short courses for sales people. As you said, most dont seem to have a clue what customer service is. 7/11 might have 12 people working on a shift, and half are playing on their phones or having a good laugh. Sometimes I cant even get to what Im looking for, so just leave. They always are polite and ask if I want a packet of lunch meat warmed up, but I cant imagine a reason I would want a whole package of meat warmed, unless I was going to eat it outside the shop! Too many examples of poor service around. One thing that p..... me of the most, are the tailors that want to shake your hand! Maybe they do that in India, but not in farangland. Thai's dont do this, its just indians.

I once went into a BigC elsewhere in Thailand with the intention of buying a television. The floor staff did a very creditable imitation of cockroaches when someone switches the light on. I couldn't get within 20 metres of any of them. So I went and bought the telly somewhere else.

I was recently over in Cambodia and I was struck by how many people - from policemen to market stall holders to hotel staff - could speak English and were quite happy to talk to me. A big contrast to Thailand.

• Like 1

I haven't had any of the experiences you refer to whilst shopping in Thailand or anywhere else in SE Asia. Specifically I shop in Central frequently, for a coffee, some books, something to eat or drink, some clothes at a number of outlets and I've bought a load of stuff from the big sports shop on the second floor, and I've never had the slightest cause for complaint. I would go further and say I enjoy the relaxed pace of shopping in Thailand.

I find a smile and a polite enquiry is all that i need to get really good customer service. If the sales staff are busy eating, having a natter amongst themselves or delaing with another customer, then I'll just wait a few minutes and then have a another try.

• Like 1

I haven't had any of the experiences you refer to whilst shopping in Thailand or anywhere else in SE Asia. Specifically I shop in Central frequently, for a coffee, some books, something to eat or drink, some clothes at a number of outlets and I've bought a load of stuff from the big sports shop on the second floor, and I've never had the slightest cause for complaint. I would go further and say I enjoy the relaxed pace of shopping in Thailand.

I find a smile and a polite enquiry is all that i need to get really good customer service. If the sales staff are busy eating, having a natter amongst themselves or delaing with another customer, then I'll just wait a few minutes and then have a another try.

Book stores and coffee shops are "safe havens" for good customer service. If one is retired and has all the time in the world, then going back to a shop in order not to interrupt a clerk from talking on her cell phone or eating her noodle soup is being very patient and kind. In the "real world" when one is working or has a schedule to follow, then good, efficient customer service is appropriate and expected by most. There is less of POOR customer service in the stores in Bkk and I feel this is due to the local people LIVING there -- not so many short term transient employees that one has in Pattaya.

Book stores and coffee shops are "safe havens" for good customer service. If one is retired and has all the time in the world, then going back to a shop in order not to interrupt a clerk from talking on her cell phone or eating her noodle soup is being very patient and kind. In the "real world" when one is working or has a schedule to follow, then good, efficient customer service is appropriate and expected by most. There is less of POOR customer service in the stores in Bkk and I feel this is due to the local people LIVING there -- not so many short term transient employees that one has in Pattaya.

Don't agree, I'm not retired and I also value my time (as much as anyone I think), I just wanted to make the point that customer service in Pattaya shops is not as bad as many claim - IMO.

I enjoy shopping in Pattaya / Thailand / Asia much more than I ever did in the UK. One reason is that I like to browse and take my time a bit - whatever I'm buying - personally I hate being jumped-on as soon as I cross the threshold of a shop or dept store.

And service in the bars is world class thumbsup.gif

I think training by itself is not enough. For example, I have seen one particular staff member at Villa degenerate into a Mai-Mee zombie from a courteous, helpful and ever smiling person. In this example, I think the lack of reward for her sterling efforts coupled with poor managers and unchecked influence from the rest of the Mai-Mee zombies have made this poor girl yield to peer pressure.

PS Mai-Mee zombies are persons who have had their brains removed and consequently cannot understand any questions even if it is in their native language but for some unknown reason, can only utter Mai-Mee endlessly to everyone they meet. Research have shown that they have the ability to infect others in the work place and if left unchecked, almost the entire workforce's vocabulary is reduced to one phrase: Mai-Mee. laugh.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just the other day, went to many motor bike dealers, but most people working there, seemed to be interested in other things. On shop seems to have a bit better price, but when I sat down to negotiate the buy, the sales lady, (maybe the boss) decided to get out the mirror and check her face. That was enough for me, even though she offered me a bit better price for my old bike. Of course my get away was not so great, since after trying out my bike, she left in the back, without telling me, so took a while to find it.

My sincere congratulations, you must be the only person in Thailand who has NEVER experienced bad customer service in Thailand.

I'm sure the service at the optical shop, who sold you the rose tinted glasses, was also exellent.

My sincere congratulations, you must be the only person in Thailand who has NEVER experienced bad customer service in Thailand.

I'm sure the service at the optical shop, who sold you the rose tinted glasses, was also exellent.

Bored are we ? Trawling around for month old posts to add a sarcastic response ?

Why not go outside and breathe the fresh air, have a walk down by the sea, have a couple of beers in a bar or a plate of som tam or some fresh fruit from one of the friendly street vendors - enjoy yourself a bit.

Was at the mall Bang Kapi a few weeks ago, yes, just about every assistant in every store was sat, leaning against the wall or hiding behind the counter looking at their phones.....didnt click till later, they get free WiFi so they were all taking advantage....complete sham

re.

Mai-Mee zombies are persons who have had their brains removed and consequently cannot understand any questions even if it is in their native language but for some unknown reason, can only utter Mai-Mee endlessly to everyone they meet. Research have shown that they have the ability to infect others in the work place and if left unchecked, almost the entire workforce's vocabulary is reduced to one phrase: Mai-Mee.

you forgot the deer in the headlights look before she said it

you stupid boy : )

just joshin .... dave2

post-42592-0-48730700-1353541985_thumb.j

Bored are we ? Trawling around for month old posts to add a sarcastic response ?

Why not go outside and breathe the fresh air, have a walk down by the sea, have a couple of beers in a bar or a plate of som tam or some fresh fruit from one of the friendly street vendors - enjoy yourself a bit.

Did you notice already that the post ABOVE mine was made on 21/11/2012 so that this topic was alive and well and on the top of the page of the Pattaya forum.

Oh and I enjoy myself by correcting such oxymoron comments as yours.

Edited by jbrain

Did you notice already that the post ABOVE mine was made on 21/11/2012 so that this topic was alive and well and on the top of the page of the Pattaya forum.

Its oxymoronic.

Its oxymoronic.

Bored are we ? Playing the spelling police on a forum where not every member is a native English speaker.

I enjoy myself by correcting grammatical errors such as yours.

But I'm sorry, I didn't realise English isn't your first language; I'll try and make allowances in the future.

re.

Mai-Mee zombies are persons who have had their brains removed and consequently cannot understand any questions even if it is in their native language but for some unknown reason, can only utter Mai-Mee endlessly to everyone they meet. Research have shown that they have the ability to infect others in the work place and if left unchecked, almost the entire workforce's vocabulary is reduced to one phrase: Mai-Mee.

you forgot the deer in the headlights look before she said it

you stupid boy : )

just joshin .... dave2

It's because they are cousins of the main dai brigade