Super Cheeky Restaurant Check Bin "surprises" And How You Dealt With Them

Jingthing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to speak Thai.

Mai jai, riak tam ruaat ma, wont pay call the police, usually has them backtracking.

In Pattaya, if the police come, I would be paying. Imagine trying to explain to a Thai cop about the missing ingredient of a non-Thai dish! Really not worth it at that point.

Sorry JT, sometimes you have to put your beliefs to one side, its about making a point.

I have, "bent over and taken one for the team" on more than one occasion here, personally I would rather the police get the money than the establishment.

A cut my nose off to spite my face attitude, same reason I dont use places with ++, its about principals.

I would rather see the money in the polices pocket than the blatant rip off farang tourist trap you mentioned.

Learn to speak Thai.

Mai jai, riak tam ruaat ma, wont pay call the police, usually has them backtracking.

In Pattaya, if the police come, I would be paying. Imagine trying to explain to a Thai cop about the missing ingredient of a non-Thai dish! Really not worth it at that point.

Sorry JT, sometimes you have to put your beliefs to one side, its about making a point.

I have, "bent over and taken one for the team" on more than one occasion here, personally I would rather the police get the money than the establishment.

A cut my nose off to spite my face attitude, same reason I dont use places with ++, its about principals.

I would rather see the money in the polices pocket than the blatant rip off farang tourist trap you mentioned.

I really don't know where you are coming from. It would have been the restaurant calling the police saying a customer refuses to pay the bill. If it got as far as the police coming, the first thing the police would say is pay the bill or worse. I should call the police and say they charged me 80 baht to cook my dish spicy? For real? I agree we should "fight" sometimes but not always. Edited by Jingthing

I'm still trying to work out the food they left out of the unmentionable dish, why aren't you allowed to say what the dish was or what it was missing?

If I mentioned the nationality of the food offered or the name of the dish (a famous dish of that country) I would be giving away the specific place. Sorry if people don't understand the legal ramifications about that in Thailand, but I do, so I won't go there.

I can't help feeling that you're encouraging speculation

"There's no point speculating"

I know that, Ray, but I can't help myself. Is this part of your on-going feud with Iran?

Perhaps it would be better if you discussed it by way of a parable, with a garage, or some anchovy sandwiches, as the object of discussion.

By way of a digression back on topic, at The Dancing Totals, we used to get a different working on the bill every time

"Whats that?"

"But we never pay for tea. And you've missed the banana fritters"

"We don't normally pay for peanuts"

etc.

SC

• Like 1

the OP is so ridiculously vague, it makes almost no sense.

Is it illegal now to name a menu item or ingredient?

I went into ---- and ----- and the ----- was ----- !!!.

can you believe that?

Maybe he should've gone to Cambodia, when you can get ______ on your _____ pizza

SC

A pal of mine was once charged 20 quid for dropping a particularly noxious fart in a restaurant in _______ as the owners felt it had stopped the people at the tables on either side from ordering dessert.

He didn't pay.

Did they make him take the fart back?

SC

I'm still trying to work out the food they left out of the unmentionable dish, why aren't you allowed to say what the dish was or what it was missing?

If I mentioned the nationality of the food offered or the name of the dish (a famous dish of that country) I would be giving away the specific place. Sorry if people don't understand the legal ramifications about that in Thailand, but I do, so I won't go there.

So there is only 1 restaurant of that offers the kitchen of that particular country in Pattaya?

• Like 1

One thing I didn't mention before. I was pretty worked up mostly about the charge for the spicy dish. The other missing ingredient dish I just chalked up as a never order it again dish there because it was absolutely the poorest excuse for that famous dish I've ever had anywhere, even with the missing ingredient, so an atrociously poor value. But it was my second time there and I know that some dishes are pretty good and not available elsewhere in town. So before the bill came I was definitely going to be a return customer. The gesture (or so it seemed) and friendliness of the chef (a native of the country of the cuisine who agreed with me basically that I was right about the famous dish) had left me feeling good about the place. Then the bill came. It really made me angry. This head lady who claimed to be the manager on duty (I did ask for the highest manager around) spoke English well as did everyone on their staff including the chef. Not only did I refuse to pay the rude extra charges, I let loose a bit of lecture to her about what doing that kind of stuff means. Basically stuff like not everyone is a stupid tourist, there are people who live here who are potential repeat customers, and doing stuff like that spicy charge ruins repeat business. I got her to go as far as saying we should tell people there will be an extra charge for spicy but I suggested this is something that is simply not done, period, in the restaurant business, and they shouldn't either. I also said IF they had told me it is going to be an extra 80 baht charge for "spicy" on a 175 baht dish, I would have instantly walked out of the restaurant, which is true. I know. Pointless.

An extra charge for more shrimp or more cheese, sure, expected. Expressing your spice preference, more or less, that is not charged for in the restaurant business.

Edited by Jingthing

One thing I didn't mention before. I was pretty worked up mostly about the charge for the spicy dish. The other missing ingredient dish I just chalked up as a never order it again dish there because it was absolutely the poorest excuse for that famous dish I've ever had anywhere, even with the missing ingredient, so an atrociously poor value. But it was my second time there and I know that some dishes are pretty good and not available elsewhere in town. So before the bill came I was definitely going to be a return customer. The gesture (or so it seemed) and friendliness of the chef (a native of the country of the cuisine who agreed with me basically that I was right about the famous dish) had left me feeling good about the place. Then the bill came. It really made me angry. This head lady who claimed to be the manager on duty (I did ask for the highest manager around) spoke English well as did everyone on their staff including the chef. Not only did I refuse to pay the rude extra charges, I let loose a bit of lecture to her about what doing that kind of stuff means. Basically stuff like not everyone is a stupid tourist, there are people who live here who are potential repeat customers, and doing stuff like that spicy charge ruins repeat business. I got her to go as far as saying we should tell people there will be an extra charge for spicy but I suggested this is something that is simply not done, period, in the restaurant business, and they shouldn't either. I also said IF they had told me it is going to be an extra 80 baht charge for "spicy" on a 175 baht dish, I would have instantly walked out of the restaurant, which is true. I know. Pointless.

An extra charge for more shrimp or more cheese, sure, expected. Expressing your spice preference, that is not charged for in the restaurant business.

So despite how incensed you are, you are not going to name the robbing charlatatans, so we each have to find out for ourselves, and subsidise them to the tune of 110 Baht each time. All I can surmise is that they are family....

SC

So despite how incensed you are, you are not going to name the robbing charlatatans, so we each have to find out for ourselves, and subsidise them to the tune of 110 Baht each time. All I can surmise is that they are family....

SC

You surmise wrong. I'd like to say but I can't. Clearly I don't think anyone should go to any place that abuses their customers in the way this place did to me. But there are legal considerations in Thailand. Please don't be naive.

Learn to speak Thai.

I really don't know where you are coming from. It would have been the restaurant calling the police saying a customer refuses to pay the bill. If it got as far as the police coming, the first thing the police would say is pay the bill or worse. I should call the police and say they charged me 80 baht to cook my dish spicy? For real? I agree we should "fight" sometimes but not always.

Oh JT, how long have you been here.

"the first thing the police would say is pay the bill or worse."

No cigar, do not pass go do not collect a coconut.

The last time it happened to me, I said to the policeman, excuse me, put 500 baht in his top pocket, then asked him, mai pen rai na, no problem, to which Sgt Somchai replied, mai pen rai.

I then exited stage left, Sgt Somchai and the owner then got into it, I am assured the owner got FA, 15 minutes later Sgt Somchai joined me in a snooker hall in Nth Pattaya.

SC

You surmise wrong. I'd like to say but I can't. Clearly I don't think anyone should go to any place that abuses their customers in the way this place did to me. But there are legal considerations in Thailand. Please don't be naive.

I think that if what you say is true, then there is a clear public interest case to know so that we can clarify our price at the time of ordering. Do I think from a libel point of view, you are fairly safe. Besides, TV would also make a decision on that matter, through their moderation policy. Of course, if you are planning on going back to the restaurant in the near future, you may prefer discretion. Or if they're family.

SC

A pal of mine was once charged 20 quid for dropping a particularly noxious fart in a restaurant in _______ as the owners felt it had stopped the people at the tables on either side from ordering dessert.

He didn't pay.

SC

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thank you, made my day!wai2.gif

So I told the waitress. This dish is supposed to have __black pudding__ and without __black pudding__ this is just a bad dish but I can see it isn't listed on the menu. So I decided to accept the dish. Later the chef comes out with the missing ingredient, all smiley. The food cost of the portion of the item was an estimated 5 baht. He says you must know alot about "__the full English breakfast___" kind of food to know it is supposed to have ___black pudding__. I tell him I have never seen it served before without __black pudding___ and asked him why they don't serve it with ___black pudding___. His lame answer was some people don't like __black pudding__. Anyway, he was nice and I thanked him for the offer of the __black pudding___. (Silly me!)

Anyway, eat the food, the spicy dish is pretty good, the dish with the added ___black pudding__ is now OK.

• Like 1

He didn't pay.

SC

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thank you, made my day!wai2.gif

Is that really a true story about the fart? I hope so because THAT is the kind of story I was looking for here!

I was once served a lasagne with absolutely no pasta in it at all. Tasted OK though....to be fair this was the first Italian restaurant in the town so the locals were likely none the wiser!

That's interesting and brings up another wrinkle on that kind of issue. Where I went was an ethnic restaurant presenting itself as at least attempting to offer typical foods of their country. If we're talking about more modern concept restaurants where the chef is inventing dishes, obviously there is no right and wrong, no obviously missing ingredient of a classic, because they don't claim to be serving classics. So if you went to such a place and it had lasagne on the menu, as long as the menu described the dish somewhat and it's lack of pasta, no problem. Edited by Jingthing

So I told the waitress. This dish is supposed to have __black pudding__ and without __black pudding__ this is just a bad dish but I can see it isn't listed on the menu. So I decided to accept the dish. Later the chef comes out with the missing ingredient, all smiley. The food cost of the portion of the item was an estimated 5 baht. He says you must know alot about "__the full English breakfast___" kind of food to know it is supposed to have ___black pudding__. I tell him I have never seen it served before without __black pudding___ and asked him why they don't serve it with ___black pudding___. His lame answer was some people don't like __black pudding__. Anyway, he was nice and I thanked him for the offer of the __black pudding___. (Silly me!)

Anyway, eat the food, the spicy dish is pretty good, the dish with the added ___black pudding__ is now OK.

Have I accidentally inspired a new Thai visa _____ meme? coffee1.gif
  • Like 1

BTW, as long as this thread has entered the _____ zone, I'd like to ask a question of the British speakers. In the thread title here, I think I have used the word CHEEKY in a rather non-standard way. While I am certainly familiar with the more standard usages of cheeky, I do wonder if the word fits at all in the way that I used it, or is it totally wrong, like _____ on a salad?

I was once served a lasagne with absolutely no pasta in it at all. Tasted OK though....to be fair this was the first Italian restaurant in the town so the locals were likely none the wiser!

That's interesting and brings up another wrinkle on that kind of issue. Where I went was an ethnic restaurant presenting itself as at least attempting to offer typical foods of their country. If we're talking about more modern concept restaurants where the chef is inventing dishes, obviously there is no right and wrong, no obviously missing ingredient of a classic, because they don't claim to be serving classics. So if you went to such a place and it had lasagne on the menu, as long as the menu described the dish somewhat and it's lack of pasta, no problem.

In fact the waitress, who appeared to be the daughter of the owner came over and enquired as to my enjoyment of the meal. Such was her genuine sincerity I said it was delicious in order to spare any embarrassment.

However had I been charged an extra couple of quid for "No pasta" or "No parmesan" then I would have assumed they were taking the piss and adopted a different attitude.

T'was a memorable meal in any case.....thanks for reminding me! biggrin.png

Edited by smokie36

A restaurant on koh phi phi once tried to add a coffee into my bill.

Another time on koh phangan the lady tried to add a side dish of spring rolls.

Both times the lady spotted it and got the extra items removed from the bill.

Is that really a true story about the fart? I hope so because THAT is the kind of story I was looking for here!

You can ask a mod on this site called M_B_j_n___s who comes from the same town.

He knows my cousin who was called "P____r F_t" here at one point. The tale was well known around ______ at the time and for some time after too.

Twas his very best pal who done it but no-one asks ___ _____ for 20 quid for a fart...

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

I went to an ethnic _____ style restaurant. All the staff wore _____ because of their adherence to _____.

I asked for a mid range spicy ______ WITHOUT ______ because ________ when it has _______added gives me gas.

The Waitress, who spoke ______ and came from ______ told me that the dishes were precooked and they could not remove _______ from the dish as. To make it mid range spicy they would also have to cook a new batch of _______.. This would cost double the menu price. The entire conversation was conducted in the ______ language.

I told them to _______ and that they were ________ and that I would _______ again. Never had I eaten precooked________ and these people were a disgrace to ________!!!!!

• Like 1