Any Engineers On Here? Career Advice Request :-)

mattk1

Hi guys,

First of all I apologise if this post is in the wrong section. I had a look at the other thread areas and the 'general topics' option I thought sounded best.

So as in the title, I would like to hear from any engineers out here who could maybe help make a pretty big decision.

I am 27 years old and currently living in Thailand teaching English (I have been here 8 months now). I do enjoy the job and find it rewarding, however, I really can't see me doing this for the rest of my days and it is for that reason I am seeking advice from this forum.

I should add I am also married to a Thai lady and we have a five month old son, we are very happy together. smile.png

That said, I realise that if I want to improve my employability and provide a good life for my family, I am going to have to study more and gain a degree in an area that has prospects for foreigners in Thailand, such as engineering.

I am considering moving back to England and going back to university but before I make that decision, I would like to know if anyone out here is already working as an engineer and do you think my plan is a good one?

I know that most people who live here are either retired or teach English, but to the few percent in between I would be most grateful to hear from you.

I have chosen engineering as that is a subject that most interests me (I was a mechanic back home) but I am also very keen to learn IT. Am I thinking along the right lines of work area that could potentially lead to a steady career in Thailand (or anywhere in the world for that matter)?

Thank you for your time. smile.png

Engineering is a Thai protected job, you would need to be sent here by a Company who would only do so after you have been working for them for some time.

The only other way to do it, would be to become a contractor, have your base in Thailand and get contracts out of Thailand for 6 months, then come back, have a nice long break then look for the next contract.

Hi beano, cheers for the quick reply. I didn't realise engineering was a protected job, more research required I think. coffee1.gif

That's not a bad idea about the contracts, I'm just not sure how easy that would be to pull off in real life.

What do you do out here beano, if you don't mind me asking? Tell me to f off and mind my own business of course smile.png

Have you considered Marine Engineering?

I am a marine engineer (Danish) and work for a British company based in Singapore (off-shore), I work worldwide on a 2 month on/off basis and are also fully paid during holidays.

Okay I am separated from my family here in Thailand for 2 month at the time, but sometimes I am lucky and go see interesting places during work.

Guzzi850, thank you for the reply.

I had not considered marine engineering until now, your current employment setup sounds very interesting to me.

Can I ask which company it is you work for? If you would prefer not to say then that's ok. smile.png

Thanks!

Have you considered making internet sites?

I mean internet sites for yourself, not for customers, for selling products or services.

If you got a technical mind and an entrepreneurial spirit and have good ideas, this is for you.

It's not exactly engineering, but there is a lot of technical stuff to learn and toy around with.

It is also pretty easy to create a BOI company for that in Thailand, and the company will belong 100% to you, along with a work permit.

Guzzi850, thank you for the reply.

I had not considered marine engineering until now, your current employment setup sounds very interesting to me.

Can I ask which company it is you work for? If you would prefer not to say then that's ok. smile.png

Thanks!

I sent you a PM

i like this topic, but cant really add to itsmile.png

my question is- i want to study in thailand. i have a FETAC certificate from ireland in electrical. i would like to further my education in the same field, or there abouts. Can any1 point me in the right direction.

thanx in advance

djbarry

Sure glad I don't have to do the 9-5 thing anymore. Now I just do stuff at my laptop. I can travel anywhere and I don't have to deal with people. Just push some online ads and my bills are paid for the month. A few hrs a week is all it takes. Semi-retired at age 31.

Hi beano, cheers for the quick reply. I didn't realise engineering was a protected job, more research required I think. coffee1.gif

It is not a protected job! I'm an engineer working at a major university. Specifically, electrical engineering and computer science specializing in applied physics research. The degree is one thing, but significant experience is going to be required, preferably in an area that Thailand is expanding in. I'm also an IT manager, Chief Engineer, Chief Programmer, researcher, computer manager, network manager, lecturer, proof reader and author. Those are the hats they kept throwing on me over time. biggrin.png

I agree that the. Online route can be very nice for some people ,but if the OP refers to numerous other topics on Thai visa the living standards of many members really varies so unless he is furnished with real earnings for a few hours a week it would be difficult to considder this option as real alternative to his current work

Regards

Steve

• Like 1

I believe Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Telecom Engineering are protected, maybe wrong but not many farangs in those positions at Chevron, PTT, DTAC, True, a lot of Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indians.

I believe Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Telecom Engineering are protected, maybe wrong but not many farangs in those positions at Chevron, PTT, DTAC, True, a lot of Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indians.

Perhaps I am not understanding your definition of 'protected'. The below are the jobs aliens are prohibited to work in, part of Civil Engineering is the only Engineering one prohibited due to it being associated with construction work. Office of Foreign Workers Administration - Royal Decree. B.E. 2522 As I have already mentioned, I am working in Electrical Engineering.

1. Manual work;
  2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm of supervision:
  3. bricklaying, carpentry of other construction work;
  4. wood carving;
  5. driving mechanically-propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting
  6. shop attendance;
  7. auction;
  8. supervising, auditing or giving services in accountancy excluding internal auditing on occasions;
  9. cutting of polishing jewellry;
  10. haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment;
  11. cloth weaving by hand;
  12. weaving of mats or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle;
  13. making of Sa paper by hand;
  14. lacquerware making;
  15. making of Thai musical instruments;
  16. nielloware making;
  17. making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy;
  18. bronzeware making;
  19. making of Thai dolls;
  20. making of mattress of quilt blanket;
  21. alms bowls casting;
  22. making of silk products by hand;
  23. casting of Buddha images;
  24. knife making;
  25. making of paper of cloth umbrella;
  26. shoemaking;
  27. hat-making;
  28. brokerage or agency excluding brokerage of agency in international trade business;
  29. engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work
  30. architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimation, construction directing or advising;
  31. garments making;
  32. pottery or ceramic ware making;
  33. cigarette making by hand;
  34. guide or conducting sightseeing tours;
  35. street vending;
  36. type-setting of Thai characters by hand;
  37. drawing and twisting silk-thread by hand
  38. office of secretarial work;
  39. legal or lawsuit services.

In my opinion you should look into what work to rest ratio you prefer for your overall career. For me a 9-5 mon to fri would be out of the question. There are plenty of jobs out there with great pay rates which you can obtain a career in whilst studying and working together, the only downside is they are outside of thailand and you must travel in order to keep living here. A 5 year study program in the UK is a great idea but are you going to enjoy yourself in that 5 years? Good luck with your choice and think outside of the box before jumping into anything. Just my opinion anyways.

By the way im 25 living in LOS and working 6 months a year, studied elec eng but dont work in that field so there are other options.

Edited by Shaktam

I mean internet sites for yourself, not for customers, for selling products or services.

If you got a technical mind and an entrepreneurial spirit and have good ideas, this is for you.

Hi manarak, I have considered this in the past but not pursued it more. It is something I am definitely interested in doing, it's just the trying to think of a great idea that gets me every time. Is this what you do yourself? The idea of being able to work from anywhere with just an internet connection I think is most peoples idea of the ideal job. thumbsup.gif

i like this topic, but cant really add to it

Hi djbarry, where are you from? Perhaps we could exchange some ideas as we are both in the same boat.

To meatballs; Wow that's excellent, well done achieving that at such a young age! It seems a lot of people make money on the net out here, I just don't know where to start.

I'm also an IT manager, Chief Engineer, Chief Programmer, researcher, computer manager, network manager, lecturer, proof reader and author. Those are the hats they kept throwing on me over time.

Tywais, I think it's fairly safe to say you will never be out of work.. clap2.gif Also thank you for the list of protected jobs, I had not seen that until now. Would vehicle mechanics come under manual work?

To shaktam; Thanks for the reply and the advice to think carefully before making any decisions. I think my five year study plan will be hard work and I can't say for sure whether I wlll actually enjoy it. However, I am now a dad and have a family to take care of so my wants and needs come second. I want to provide my family with a comfortable life in the best way I can. smile.png

• Like 1

If you're talented and experienced enough, IT work doesn't require any degrees at all, though it helps.

Picking the right niche and establishing yourself as a proven expert with a solid reputation in that niche will bring success, and some niches will let you do most of your work via telecommuting, including international.

Get into a well-paid enough area and the necessary travel expenses become an irrelevant small fraction to what the client's shelling out.

But you will need to continue to invest at least 30-40% of your working time into adding to and keeping your skillset(s) up to date, not to mention seeing the writing on the wall and getting ready to shift into a whole new sub-area before the corporate mainstream realizing the trend is coming, staying ahead of the curve. Very much like investing in the stock market that way.

And being a freelancer requires a fair bit of marketing/business savvy to pull off, sales skills etc.

But developing all that via self-study online, compared to actually attending uni for five years? If you've got the capacity and interest seems like a no-brainer to me. . .

Hi manarak, I have considered this in the past but not pursued it more. It is something I am definitely interested in doing, it's just the trying to think of a great idea that gets me every time. Is this what you do yourself? The idea of being able to work from anywhere with just an internet connection I think is most peoples idea of the ideal job. thumbsup.gif

Yes, that's what I do.

Don't wait on a "great idea" to get started.

Many smaller good ideas are a good start too.

Your definitely doing the right thing Matt toward thinking about the family first a lot of respect from me, one last thing too, moving back to the UK for your study, obviously over that time your plans and thoughts will change and Im just wondering after the circle of friends are built up and all that goes with it, will you move back to LOS to live. My view is definably bias but I have to say it also, I have a few friends at work who are Irish, English working in Aus as a mechanic in the mining sector (one is) the other English lads are skilled and unskilled tradies and do earn good money, Malaysia has alot of great Uni's which are recognized worldwide and offer flexible study programs online etc.

Obviously my view is biased but I thought I would let you know my thoughts anyways.

Again best wishes Pal.

Hi Shaktam,

Cheers for the reply.

I see your point about moving back and settling in to life in the UK and not moving back. Whilst there is always a possibility of that, I do love the pace of life over here and although I'm not a great lover of the heat, I think I will be itching to get back to Thailand. smile.png

My goal is to work hard now and earn enough money to be able to retire relatively early. Living over here is great but it's not so much fun when you're just scraping by every month. I think a sacrifice now of a short period will put me in a good position in the future.

Thank you again for your input, it is most appreciated! smile.png

To manarak; Last night I bought my first domain name. You are quite right by what you say about starting small and who knows, maybe the big idea will be staring me in the face.. thumbsup.gif

To manarak; Last night I bought my first domain name. You are quite right by what you say about starting small and who knows, maybe the big idea will be staring me in the face.. thumbsup.gif

Congrats and good luck!

You can earn your first experiences with creating a forum, a blog or whatever. Google adsense and other advertising programs or affiliate networks will yield a (very small) income. Begin with creating a website on a subject you like and know well. Learn PHP.

Second step:

To make money on the web, the easiest is to help business owners to extract money from customers.

The key to success is to identify a specific need of a group of customers that is currently not or little adressed by the web, fill that space and bring customers and business owners together.

Example (fictional, haha): you notice an increasing number of people on (possibly specialized) internet forums is searching for a specific type of gizmos, namely gizmos with 2 sharp edges. There are online shops and comparison portals for gizmos, but they mostly concentrate on color and weight of gizmos, information on edges is not provided by these platforms, but you can find out by searching forums and reading product reviews.

There is your business idea. Research the info, put it together on your site (i.e. which gizmos have 2 sharp edges) and provide your users with affiliate links to shops where they can buy these gizmos and you earn commission on each sale.

Another way is to look for a shopowner who doesn't still sell online and who would be willing to work in a dropshipping scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping

There are many other ways...