Former Thai Intelligence Chief To Join Sunday Anti-Government Rally

webfact

Former intelligence chief to join Sunday rally

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former intelligence chief Prasong Soonsiri said yesterday that he will participate in tomorrow's anti-government rally because he wants this corrupt administration ousted. Meanwhile, the opposition Democrat Party has scheduled a censure debate for late November.

The Pitak Siam or protecting Siam group, which is led by retired General Boonlert Kaewprasit, got a boost yesterday when Prasong announced that he would be joining the rally at the Royal Turf Club from 10am tomorrow. Also present will be Santi Asoke's Dharma Army and General Prathomphong Kaesornsuk, former chairman of advisers to the Armed Forces.

Siam Pitak and its allies held a press conference yesterday together with Prasong to reiterate that they could no longer stand the rampant corruption and moves to defame the monarchy. They also said that the Yingluck Shinawatra administration was doing everything to evade scrutiny and failed to heed criticism from academics.

The group said this rally to oust the government was the first step to "stop disaster" from befalling the Kingdom. Prasong also stated that it was time for "good" people to run the country.

"For the sake of public interest, I will stand in the front. As for news that there is a five-step plan to overthrow the government, I think there are only two and we must complete them," he said.

Meanwhile, opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva announced that the opposition was seeking to launch a censure debate on November 26 and 27. He advised the prime minister to be present in Parliament to answer questions herself during the debate if she did not want her government to be damaged.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-27

Hiding behind the word 'democracy' to justify grand theft on unimaginable scales, it is clear the roots of corruption are so deep seated, these screamingly obvious fiscal failures are propagated without any fear of reprisal or prosecution by Yingluck and the Shinanwatra clan who simply have the country in a strangle hold whilst milking the coffers dry. This rally may go a long way towards their overthrow, if not by election, then by a coup.

People are waking up to the fact that government Sicilian style does not equal democracy even here in bewildered Thailand

I dont know why you would say, that the People are waking up to what you are describing as a Sicillian style Gov.

Seems to be quite the opposite according to this bit of news.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592761-pheu-thai-outshines-democrats-poll/

So I take it that this rally is not in support of reconcilliation.....?

Yes it is. It's just the Thai version of reconciliation is far removed form the western meaning

Love the last paragraph - advised her to be present in parliament to answer the questions herself. Wishful thinking there i think AV, she'll have some important engagement overseas and will delegate Chalerm to speak on her behalf - guaranteed!!

Has any rally of any sort been in support of reconciliation since the election?

Actually, has anyTHING been in support of reconciliation since the election?

• Like 1

As one of the key people behind the 2006 coup it is hardly surprising that Prasong is supporting this rally. It will be interesting to see how many actually turn up for it.

I guess the MP Gen. Sonthi will not be supporting this rally. Probably a low key affair with 250 present at the most and 1000's of police to make sure they don't riot wink.png

"Former intelligence chief Prasong Soonsiri said yesterday that he will participate in tomorrow's anti-government rally because he wants this corrupt administration ousted."

Obviously. So he can have a corrupt administration to his liking installed.

• Like 2

Laos was often called 'The Land of a Million Elephants' and during the American / Vietnam War (choose which side) journalists often renamed it 'The Land of a Million Irrelevants' . Here in LOS where everybody from the tea lady, postman etc., etc is a General, I wonder what Thailand could be called.... The Land of General Irrelevants' ??

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I love it when all the expats rant in favor of a military coup in Thailand - something unthinkable and never happens in their home countries. Such hypocrits!

yes but I would also prefer a military coup in some western country. Actually I think it would be the duty of the military if the government wants to start a war.

I love it when all the expats rant in favor of a military coup in Thailand - something unthinkable and never happens in their home countries. Such hypocrits!

yes but I would also prefer a military coup in some western country. Actually I think it would be the duty of the military if the government wants to start a war.

Which western country comes to mind? Militaries fight wars, and should stick to that.

• Like 1

Which western country comes to mind? Militaries fight wars, and should stick to that.

Lets say it wouldn't be bad if a coup against Hitler would have been successful. Or against Bush before his wars.

Just now Islamists in Libya and Syria run around with weapons from USA. That will cause 10s or thousands more dead. It would be justified to coup away that government which delivered them.

Almost everywhere Militaries are to DEFEND countries, not to start wars. Starting war is a crime of an internal enemy.

Lets say it wouldn't be bad if a coup against Hitler would have been successful. Or against Bush before his wars.

Just now Islamists in Libya and Syria run around with weapons from USA. That will cause 10s or thousands more dead. It would be justified to coup away that government which delivered them.

Almost everywhere Militaries are to DEFEND countries, not to start wars. Starting war is a crime of an internal enemy.

Well defend countries or fight wars is moot.

Now most of the examples you give are situations where change is occuring, and the people within the country will fight for which ever result they prefer.

Bushs wars were divided into two, one justified and the other not. Al Qaeda was a threat to the USA. Iraq was a political con. When politicians lie there should be serious consequences. In another era, Tony Blair would be up for lying to parliament. Simple really

Hitler got to where he was by fooling the system into giving him absolute control and subjugating democracy. So, pursuing ,.protecting and strengthening democracy is in my opinion, always a better idea than believing that an army intervention strengthens the country.

In the long run it leaves a country weaker.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

If you hadn't noticed, reconciliation has never actually been on anyone's agenda. Thaksin' team introduced the whole reconcile idea shebang because saying what they actually meant - whitewash Thaksin - didn't sound so good.