India Topples Thailand As World's Largest Rice Exporter: Usda

webfact

India topples Thailand as world's largest rice exporter: USDA

NEW DELHI: -- India has the emerged as the world's largest rice exporter in 2012 beating its Asian counterpart Thailand with shipment of 9.75 million tonnes, according to USDA's latest report.

Thailand was the top rice exporter with exports of 10.65 million tonnes in 2011. However, its volume slipped to 6.5 million tonnes in 2012.

"On the export side, India's exports were raised 1.75 million tonnes to a record 9.75 million tonnes based on a record pace of shipments to date and larger supplies. This makes India the largest rice exporter in 2012, a first for India," the USDA report said.

India is followed by Vietnam, which shipped 7 million tonnes of rice, Thailand (6.5 million tonnes), Pakistan (3.75 million tonnes) and the US (3.5 million tonnes), it added.

Full story: http://timesofindia....ow/17004271.cms

-- THE TIMES OF INDIA 2012-10-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://oryza.com/Rice-News/16715.html

Asia’s rice harvest continues to progress as does the Thai media’s angst over the rice mortgage scheme but that hasn’t stopped it from continuing. While no one can imagine how the scheme will be a success, doing no more than causing Thailand to accumulate rice stocks and miss export sales, others say the fact that the government can have such a long time horizon may yield positive results. Rice supplies in Asia would be much tighter without India and the Philippines and Indonesia may have to return to the market in force at some point, offering Thailand an opportunity to sell its $700-800 per ton rice is has been longing to sell. Time will only tell. In the meantime, India remains a bearish influence.

So, even with the recent government to government deal of 7 million tonnes, Thailand still couldn't get about 7 million tonnes?

Pesky market researchers finding out pesky numbers that show they have basically been lying through their teeth for the last 4 months. I look forward to seeing where they put the next crop, because the concept of storing one million tons of anything is really quite daunting. Storing 10 or 15 mn tonnes of anything is going to be a logistical nightmare. Where to put it all?

• Like 1

Who cares if Thailand has slipped down the rankings?

A few people have made billions and many more have made millions and that's all that matters in this country; money in the pocket today.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Agreed, however i'd like to extend you train of thought if I may, so its more accurate (IMHO)

A few people have made billions, some have made millions, but most have made pretty much the same a few tens of thousands if they are lucky.

If I am wrong pleases correct me, but I think your assessment of "many more have made millions" - Many more !!! millions (note the plural) - is a bit wide of the mark or a gross over exaggeration. 'Many more' would suggest a good handful maybe 20- 25% of the farming population have made millions. If that's true they'll be turning up to work in the rice paddies in Mercs soon.

Edited by jonclark

A few people have made billions and many more have made millions and that's all that matters in this country; money in the pocket today.

Agreed, however i'd like to extend you train of thought if I may, so its more accurate (IMHO)

A few people have made billions, some have made millions, but most have made pretty much the same a few tens of thousands if they are lucky.

If I am wrong pleases correct me, but I think your assessment of "many more have made millions" - Many more !!! millions (note the plural) - is a bit wide of the mark or a gross over exaggeration. 'Many more' would suggest a good handful maybe 20- 25% of the farming population have made millions. If that's true they'll be turning up to work in the rice paddies in Mercs soon.

My wife owns 538 Rai of rice fields around Chia Nat, never worked a day in her life in the fields. All handed down to her through the generations and the land is leased out and she receives a share of the harvest. She has been loving this rice pledging, money for nothing.

Edited by chooka

Errrrr I didn't see him mention farmers! And yes many many mill owners are turning up in their Mercedes, while the farmers still don't have a pot to pi** in.

Well when you have POLITICAL IMBECILES running things thats what you get.giggle.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

THERE goes another HUBA DUBA DOcoffee1.gifgiggle.giftongue.pngsmile.png

There is nothing politically imbecilic about the scheme. Economically stupid for sure, but not politically.

I don't suppose those rushing to ridicule Thailand and offer their views wishes to consider some unpleasant facts. There are international sanctions in place on Iran. Guess who the largest rice suplier to Iran now is? India. India has rushed in to to increase its trade with Iran on everything from pharmaceuticals to manufactured to steel. In return, India has obained Iranian oil at rock bottom prices. Added to this is that India had a bumper rice crop and it is accused of dumping rice on the market. It is not just Thailand that has taken the hit, but Vietnam as well, with the Indians undcercutting Vietnamese prices. The Indians don't care about the consequences. The Tehran Times sums it up nicely; "

While the people of India are busy accusing the government of exporting rice that should be used to feed the country, rice exporters are battling dropping prices and dwindling demand." Some Iranian rice importers have already defaulted on payments. India has also moved aggresively to export to Nigeria, another country subject to international economic regulations. I suppose if one wants to find innovative ways to skirt financial and trade regulations there are ways to profit, however, it does raise the issue of ethics and India has never been known for ethical trade practices. One need only look at how it ignored international trade sanctions on Myanmar.

So yea, go ahead and "blame" Thailand, but this time around, Thailand isn't the one with the questionable international trade practices.

And where was China during this escapade?

Laughing probably!!

-mel.

Yeah there are also different types of rice for different markets. Indian Basmati rice is good but the wifey will not buy it!

The Indians are not selling it to your wifey... nor to Thailand for that matter.... and the top quality Basmati is in my opinion far better than any of the over stated called top quality Jasmine rice which half the time is just sticky mush ...

• Like 1

Errrrr I didn't see him mention farmers! And yes many many mill owners are turning up in their Mercedes, while the farmers still don't have a pot to pi** in.

I thought farmers were the target beneficiaries of the scheme? So I assumed the 'many more' referred to farmers. My apologies didn't realize he was talking about millers.

I don't suppose those rushing to ridicule Thailand and offer their views wishes to consider some unpleasant facts. There are international sanctions in place on Iran. Guess who the largest rice suplier to Iran now is? India. India has rushed in to to increase its trade with Iran on everything from pharmaceuticals to manufactured to steel. In return, India has obained Iranian oil at rock bottom prices. Added to this is that India had a bumper rice crop and it is accused of dumping rice on the market. It is not just Thailand that has taken the hit, but Vietnam as well, with the Indians undcercutting Vietnamese prices. The Indians don't care about the consequences. The Tehran Times sums it up nicely; "

While the people of India are busy accusing the government of exporting rice that should be used to feed the country, rice exporters are battling dropping prices and dwindling demand." Some Iranian rice importers have already defaulted on payments. India has also moved aggresively to export to Nigeria, another country subject to international economic regulations. I suppose if one wants to find innovative ways to skirt financial and trade regulations there are ways to profit, however, it does raise the issue of ethics and India has never been known for ethical trade practices. One need only look at how it ignored international trade sanctions on Myanmar.

So yea, go ahead and "blame" Thailand, but this time around, Thailand isn't the one with the questionable international trade practices.

You do have a very good point here... India did the same thing to their Cotton Industry back in the mid years of 2000 being 2004 / 2005 / 2006 wherein they started selling the top quality cotton to China at lower prices than their local manufacturers had to pay and it has killed the textile industry who could no longer compete with International selling prices of various textile products as they had to pay more than their competion for the raw materials ... The Textile Industry in India since then was surpassed by Bangladesh ten folds over and of course China ... Today the textile industry is still declining towards it's slow death... so yea...! India will do these kind of things ....

Yeah there are also different types of rice for different markets. Indian Basmati rice is good but the wifey will not buy it!

She sounds like my wife if she knows it is not Thai she is sure it is no good.

A real nightmare when we travel outside the country.

• Like 2