Diving And Got Jabbed By A Sea Urchin

britmaveric

UST0024.jpg

Forgot my gloves and accidently jabbed myself with a sea urchin. (near the last joint on my pinky) Anyways its been sore ever since (3weeks nearly) I believe I managed to get the spine out, however maybe not hence still being sore.

Any divers out there that have any remedies or should I go see a doctor? :o

I scraped my stomach on one while snorkling over a reef in Bali a few years ago. I had a huge, very painful welt for about a month. I've also stepped on them while walking on reefs.

The points break off and you need to dig them out, but the pain and swelling stays for some time. A doctor could probably give some ointment to relieve the wound.

Kiwis eat the things.

I scraped my stomach on one while snorkling over a reef in Bali a few years ago. I had a huge, very painful welt for about a month. I've also stepped on them while walking on reefs.

The points break off and you need to dig them out, but the pain and swelling stays for some time. A doctor could probably give some ointment to relieve the wound.

Kiwis eat the things.

Only the yellow guts of them croc, the rest is fish food. :D We call them kina. :o

Kiwis eat the things.

Well not oozing or swollen - just aches when I bend it. Bob from Aquanauts told me the bugger injects calcium. Funny enough I picked up the lil guy after he stabbed me to make sure he was alright. Quite harmless unless you forcefully brush them.

Ate one once and I must say they are pretty disgusting. :o

Edited by britmaveric

LoL.

Welcome to diving. well, think your self lucky it was a normal urchin. If you are diving around Pattaya area, there are alot of other urchins ( for got their name ) which look cute, carry little rock ontop of them, and if you touch it even lightly, your in for a very long haul with medical care.

As for the deep urchin......... well, there is not much you can do. I have had tons of em, and pretty deep. As some guy said, they are brittle, so you can try break them up under the skin ( take up thai boxing ). Some people say open the wound and try to put lime on it. You can also cut them out.

I would say that they are annoying, but unless they are going septic, live with it and your body will take care of it over time. If it really is un-bearable..... maybe try see a doctor to get it cut out.

Cheers.

p.s.. please take care of your bouyancy...... to me getting hit ( or rather you hitting ) and urchin is a warning message. Who knows, next time it might be a stone fish, scorpion or other fun stuff. I used to do alot of underwater photgraphy, and was paranoid about such creatures when doing maco stuff ( requiring stablization on the ground )

LoL.

Welcome to diving. well, think your self lucky it was a normal urchin. If you are diving around Pattaya area, there are alot of other urchins ( for got their name ) which look cute, carry little rock ontop of them, and if you touch it even lightly, your in for a very long haul with medical care.

As for the deep urchin......... well, there is not much you can do. I have had tons of em, and pretty deep. As some guy said, they are brittle, so you can try break them up under the skin ( take up thai boxing ). Some people say open the wound and try to put lime on it. You can also cut them out.

I would say that they are annoying, but unless they are going septic, live with it and your body will take care of it over time. If it really is un-bearable..... maybe try see a doctor to get it cut out.

Cheers.

p.s.. please take care of your bouyancy...... to me getting hit ( or rather you hitting ) and urchin is a warning message. Who knows, next time it might be a stone fish, scorpion or other fun stuff. I used to do alot of underwater photgraphy, and was paranoid about such creatures when doing maco stuff ( requiring stablization on the ground )

Bouyancy not an issue - just being careless (had me gloves on prob been alright) - got a bad habit of not looking around and just focusing in on whats straight ahead.

I heard one remedy is a good bashing over the affected area, i beleive this is to break up any fragments which are left in the skin, as they are a high carbon content and the body struggles to break them down. But be warned this is immediately after the occcurence.

nother option..... can cut the skin open and try with needle nose tweezers. Worked for me when I got a 1.5 piece in my big toe on the harddeep during penetration ( small tunnel - kicked an urchin and it went straight thru my boot into my toe. ..... Bamboo under the finger nails is now a sinch :o

Well, lets not go into the root cause, but the sharp needly things i.e. urchins, spines of stone and scorpion fish will go right through anything including knee pads unless ( unless its super tough )

What ever you did, just remember it could have been something far far nastier, and what ever the root cause, its best to eliminate it.

not sure if its running, but check out Damnam - there are some cases there of guys getting hit by some nasties.

I have seen stone fish ( real ones - most divers think scorpions are stones ), and they are best kept at a distance.

Edited by skippybangkok

I heard one remedy is a good bashing over the affected area, i beleive this is to break up any fragments which are left in the skin, as they are a high carbon content and the body struggles to break them down. But be warned this is immediately after the occcurence.

I've had more pricks from these things than a dart board.Used to collect them for eating and fish burley....sackfulls of the buggers.The best thing that worked for me was to pick out the spine with a needle and wash it in an iodine solution.

I've had more pricks from these things than a dart board.Used to collect them for eating and fish burley....sackfulls of the buggers.The best thing that worked for me was to pick out the spine with a needle and wash it in an iodine solution.

This is to break up any fragments which are left in the skin.

This is a close up of the one you dont want to touch......

Sorry Bambina.....saw u were reading this.....dont want to scare you off of you course :o. Just stick about 1 meter of the ground and you will never meed face to face with these nasties.

Quick Gallery

here are some other shots.......... small thumbnails ( 12k) so hope moderator wont kill me :D

post-25605-1139240673_thumb.jpg

post-25605-1139241089.jpg

post-25605-1139241106.jpg

post-25605-1139241130_thumb.jpg

post-25605-1139241146.jpg

post-25605-1139241168.jpg

Immediately after the occurrence:

Pour vinegar over the affected area, wait for 5-6 minutes, use a disinfected sharp object to cut open the the entry points and a pair of tweezers or a needle to pry out whatever parts of the spikes that can be removed easily.

When you have removed what you can this way, get a hard object, such as a class bottle or club, and pound on the remaining spikes through the skin to crush them into as small fragments as possible. This will make it easier for your body to handle afterwards. Treat the wounds with iodine regularly to make sure they are not infected.

(This is exactly what I was told by a medical doctor on Koh Chang after my mother had about 58 of the spikes in her feet. Even so, perhaps take the advice with a pinch of salt and do more research.)

X-ray ? Waow !

Whats Montrin ? Anti - Biotic ? I dont think i have ever had them go septic, but the are annoying, especially whe you have them in your finger tips and need to use the PC the next day ......... It think I have a few still for a few years.

As meadish said, I got the long one out of my big toe with needle nose tweezers.... be carefull to pull straight out without twisting, or it will break.

X-ray ? Waow !

Whats Montrin ? Anti - Biotic ? I dont think i have ever had them go septic, but the are annoying, especially whe you have them in your finger tips and need to use the PC the next day ......... It think I have a few still for a few years.

As meadish said, I got the long one out of my big toe with needle nose tweezers.... be carefull to pull straight out without twisting, or it will break.

Motrin - anti-inflamatory/pain med. :o

This works. Pummel the area with anything - fist, bottle, stick etc. - to break up the spines left inside. They are calcium carbonate (I think) and the body can remove them once smashed.

If left inside unbroken, you will get an infection which ultimately pushes the spine out then heals - so allow the infection to develop if following this path.