Flying Business Class For The First Time.

jimyoung

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to worry about fitting in when I started flying in business. Felt like an outsider who was going to get found out and sent to the back..

As already said, where what you want as long as it doesn't cause offence.

And make the most of whatever facilities they offer: fast track immigration/security, lounge etc. Varies between airline.

After 30 years of traveling by air dozens of times every year, I find it advantageous to dress comfortably but smart. Whatever class you fly, you get that extra bit of respect and consideration from the crew, provided of course your attitude matches your appearance.

Of course you have every right to dress (almost) any way you want. Hell, wear a clown-suit if it rings your bell. But consciously or sub-consciously, people around you will respond to your appearance... it's just the way it is.

Edited by fstarbkk

Hi,

I'm flying business class with sri lankan airlines in december, doe's it matter how i dress?

Is shorts with t-shirt and flip flops acceptable like in economy or should i wear something a bit smarter?

Thanks, Jim.

Lol... I like to go indian jones style...... Greeters at the door say turn right, but I go left, and they chase me. Always fun to see their faces when they realize its my legit seat.

Had a friend who just short of donning his tuxedo when flying, can't imagine traveling 30 hours in that get up ( I.e to the US ). He looked like he was in his way to a royal audience somewhere :)

Wear what ever you want, most business traveller like their privacy ( quiet time ) and as such wont give a hoot.

Well I like to dress up a bit when travelling but that's me and, as said above, wear what you are comfortable in

Personally I bring an inflight change that some would call .....pyjamas and trust me I use them whichever class I fly.

Well I like to dress up a bit when travelling but that's me and, as said above, wear what you are comfortable in

Personally I bring an inflight change that some would call .....pyjamas and trust me I use them whichever class I fly.

I take some track pants and a sweatshirt that I wear as pyjamas. Makes a difference to be comfortable. Having access to a lounge means I can shower just before the flight which also makes a big difference.

As said , there really is no need to dress up. I generally travel in track pants and a smart polo shirt. It's comfortable, and easy to sleep in. I do never understand why some people get dressed up in Blazers etc, even travelling in Cattle. Be interested to hear the thoughts on Sri Lankan Biz, as I am thnking of using it the next time i fly back to UK on holiday.

You are a customer paying for a service. Wear what you are comfortable wearing, who cares what a bunch of people you will never see again and have nothing to do with your life think about you. I have been fortunate enough to fly bus class 99% of the time for the last 15 years or so and I have seen all matter of atire. The only time I go out of my way in how I dress is when I am accompanied by a client or someone with whom I need to maintain a certain level formality. Otherwise, I wear what is convenient for me at the time. Bus class is not what it used to be, the real formal atmosphere is found on the first class flights of the premiere airlines.

• Like 1

If you're going to wear shorts don't forget to go commando. It will add a little frisson of excitement to the flight for the other passengers if not for you...

Haha! U a member of the mile high club endure? biggrin.png

Me? I'm a good boy, I am tongue.png

• Like 1

Remember it can be chilly in the cabin, if you're heading to Europe it's cold now you don't want to arrive when there is snow on the ground & get sick, if coming from Europe I still think trousers just so you're warm onboard. On super long haul flights 10+ hours I wear diabetic socks. I always think it is better to over dress.

Enjoy your flight and PLEASE report back and post a trip report many TV members are curious about the onboard service and seats.

• Like 1

A few years back, during the check-in with Srilankan, they politely asked me if i had any problem to be upgraded to business. Just please I had to wear long trousers, otherwise no upgrade.

Some airline lounges can get snooty about attire on upgrades. My region has a short blurb about "suitable attire" in the rules book. OP indicated he's paying pax, not really an issue IMO.

OP, the fact you asked in the first place tells me you are aware. Me personally, I wear smart casual in J class (trousers/polo or tuck in collar shirt/shoes and socks) and my wife wears similar comfortable, presentable style.

Edit to add: Concur, love to hear the Sri Lankan post-trip report.

Edited by 55Jay

Sri Lankan Airlines planes are out dated and I am afraid you will not be getting the "business class" experience.

It is business class in name only. If you do not believe me read the other 275 reviews on this airline.

http://www.airlinequ...rum/sri_lan.htm

sorry to burst your bubble.

Have you flown them in business class ?

There are frequent flyers that have had excellent experiences on board Srilankan as the following trip report testifies :

http://www.airliners...ad.main/223481/

They are refurbishing their aircraft but it's a bit unclear if and when this will be finished. Meanwhile it's a bit of a lottery, as with many airlines.

And it's also a fact that a not so good business class is still a lot better than economy even if it's only for the fact that you have lounge access and priority check-in which makes the airport experience that much more enjoyable.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Sri Lankan Airlines planes are out dated and I am afraid you will not be getting the "business class" experience.

It is business class in name only. If you do not believe me read the other 275 reviews on this airline.

http://www.airlinequ...rum/sri_lan.htm

sorry to burst your bubble.

You are not bursting anyone's bubble. Beano's other TV Travel thread indicated Sri Lankan might be making an effort. My comment/interest was linked back to that, maybe a few others had mental reference to it as well.

Personally, I never considered Sri Lankan out of sub-continentesque stererotype - an unfair, wide brush but not necessarily unrealistic. However, Beano's OP sent me surfing and reading a couple weeks ago as I was looking for Bahrain/Dubai to Bangkok.

Unfortunately reviews weren't that favorable so Sri Lankan will continue to get a miss from me on the route, but they are on my radar now and I'll keep monitoring reviews, see how they go.

Edit to add: Yes, Yermanee, did read a lot of good reviews too, yep, still a mixed bag.

Seems their domestic product was up and comer, perhaps Europe/US getting the touch ups next. I trod through the sand box though so I reckon that'll get it last, if ever, just the way it goes.

Edited by 55Jay

Call me old fashioned but I always dress up for the occasion. Sports jacket, slacks, starched white shirt, necktie and polished shoes.

And yes smokie I always shower and shave half an hour before the taxi comes to take me to the airport.

In my home country we have a saying that " the clothes make the man " and first impressions are not to be underestimated as to the effect they can have on the service one gets.

Anyway I am also quite interested in the Srilankan experience.

Yermanee wai.gif

Exactly. You dress the part and get treated accordingly.

• Like 1