Flying Business Class For The First Time.

jimyoung

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I tend to go smart causal... i.e. as if we were going to a decent restaurant in the UK (or in Thailand without the jacket)

i.e. Shoes, jeans, shirt, sports jacket... I pack a jumper to wear if it gets cold. Wifey wears a comfortable dress and packs leggings to wear if it gets chilly on board.

But really, wear what makes you feel comfortable. I see guys wearing flip flops, board shorts and a t-shirt. I also see people wearing suits.

Most commonly its 'shoes, smart jeans and a shirt'... But no one really cares, its your behaviour that counts. Some people pay to fly business class simply to avoid the annoyances of some of the inconsiderate passengers in Economy class.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you are toting a lap-top computer bag. Then the staff take you seriously.

The flight attendants have seen it all and fully understand that rich guys couldn't give a tinker's cuss about what other people think of there dress code.

It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you are toting a lap-top computer bag. Then the staff take you seriously.

The flight attendants have seen it all and fully understand that rich guys couldn't give a tinker's cuss about what other people think of there dress code.

Rubbish, they understand OK. But, you carry on. coffee1.gif

Considering I fly business most times when I'm on business and dress in shorts, T-shirt and casual shoes as long as I carry my lap-top, I get the same service as every other business passenger.

And you? What's your experience? Hopping up and down waiting for that curtain to be pulled across so you can disembark?

Considering I fly business most times when I'm on business and dress in shorts, T-shirt and casual shoes as long as I carry my lap-top, I get the same service as every other business passenger.

And you? What's your experience? Hopping up and down waiting for that curtain to be pulled across so you can disembark?

Think you don't understand what us mere mortals understand. Whether employed cabin staff or me. If you travel like a slob then you are a slob. I will look for your perfect airline and post soon. thumbsup.gif

IF you carry a really good laptop, or a Laptop + a Tablet do you get an upgrade to First Class ???

I'd like to know which airline it is who's staff are prejudice according to carry on baggage.

IF you carry a really good laptop, or a Laptop + a Tablet do you get an upgrade to First Class ???

I'd like to know which airline it is who's staff are prejudice according to carry on baggage.

I'd like to know which airline it is who's staff are prejudice according to what you wear.

"Is shorts with t-shirt and flip flops acceptable like in economy or should i wear something a bit smarter?"

shorts+tshirt+flip flops is only acceptable on the beach.

Not in Restaurants not in Economy. But as you have paid your ticket they let you fly no matter how funny you are dressed.

• Like 2

"Is shorts with t-shirt and flip flops acceptable like in economy or should i wear something a bit smarter?"

Not in Restaurants not in Economy. But as you have paid your ticket they let you fly no matter how funny you are dressed.

Not acceptable in economy, really?

After 30 years of traveling by air dozens of times every year, I find it advantageous to dress comfortably but smart. Whatever class you fly, you get that extra bit of respect and consideration from the crew, provided of course your attitude matches your appearance.

Of course you have every right to dress (almost) any way you want. Hell, wear a clown-suit if it rings your bell. But consciously or sub-consciously, people around you will respond to your appearance... it's just the way it is.

why would anybody who does not suffer from inferiority complexes care how people around him "respond" to his appearance? huh.png

• Like 1

thumbsup.gif

If you have proper etiquette then it won't matter what you are wearing. I always travel in the same type of clothing, be it in Economy or Business. The only airline, where I have encountered poor attitude is on BA, and that's more about the tosses that they employ, hence I avoid them at all costs now, even if they have a good deal on flights.

not acceptable anywhere else in public with exception the beach....

• Like 1

According to who? You?

Doesn't that just make it an opinion?

today, dear children, we learn that i am unacceptable. it's because i always wear a t-shirt and shorts, no flip-flops though. however, the money i take out of one of the pockets of my shorts seems to be very much acceptable. nobody has ever refused to take it.

laugh.png

• Like 2

After 30 years of traveling by air dozens of times every year, I find it advantageous to dress comfortably but smart. Whatever class you fly, you get that extra bit of respect and consideration from the crew, provided of course your attitude matches your appearance.

Of course you have every right to dress (almost) any way you want. Hell, wear a clown-suit if it rings your bell. But consciously or sub-consciously, people around you will respond to your appearance... it's just the way it is.

why would anybody who does not suffer from inferiority complexes care how people around him "respond" to his appearance? huh.png

I have no inferiority complex, but I care. I have learnt that my attitudes and opinions may be reflected by my appearance. When unpresentable some (not all) may make unfair or unjust judgements and that effects how politely and efficiently we are dealt with. Dressing appropriately avoids some situations and poor treatment.

Thus, a smart question has been posed: What would be considered appropriate attire on a flight?... Smart-Casual and conformable seems to be the consensus. Not because people have an inferiority complex, but simply because they are considerate of those around them and would prefer it if those around them were also considerate of them.

• Like 2

today, dear children, we learn that i am unacceptable. it's because i always wear a t-shirt and shorts, no flip-flops though. however, the money i take out of one of the pockets of my shorts seems to be very much acceptable. nobody has ever refused to take it.

laugh.png

As long as you don't wear that clown suit again!

laugh.png

Just a dash nouveau riche wouldn't you think ?

Unless walking around handing money out freely to everyone around you I doubt you can pay off all. Customs, Immigration, Flight Attendants... all will Profile you instantly. Some are trained to profile you, some are trained not to profile you. Nevertheless whether conscious of it or not those whom you meet and those around will draw a conclusion.

Be honest Naam - What do you travel in when you go long haul ?

• Like 1

Have flown biz on EVA and Qatar out of Heathrow. Each time I've been in shorts and casual short sleeve shirt, leather sandals.

The kick for me has always been the looks I get from some people in the economy queue, dressed to impress and probably seeking the upgrade as I swagger up to the biz check in.

But I've always been polite and act the gentleman, never getting drunk, always saying thank you to the staff and I've never had an issue. After all I've paid the biz class fare and the staff know that, I don't need to impress them with anything other than my manners.

• Like 2

Have flown biz on EVA and Qatar out of Heathrow. Each time I've been in shorts and casual short sleeve shirt, leather sandals.

The kick for me has always been the looks I get from some people in the economy queue, dressed to impress and probably seeking the upgrade as I swagger up to the biz check in.

But I've always been polite and act the gentleman, never getting drunk, always saying thank you to the staff and I've never had an issue. After all I've paid the biz class fare and the staff know that, I don't need to impress them with anything other than my manners.

Good post. The mere fact that you are in business class speaks volumes in itself.

BUT, they understand your a slob. sad.png

Good post. The mere fact that you are in business class speaks volumes in itself.

Does it, hmmmmmmm,He's just won a few bob on on the lotto. coffee1.gif

Why do you need to impress the at all, if you have paid the business class fare.

Just a dash nouveau riche wouldn't you think ?

Unless walking around handing money out freely to everyone around you I doubt you can pay off all. Customs, Immigration, Flight Attendants... all will Profile you instantly. Some are trained to profile you, some are trained not to profile you. Nevertheless whether conscious of it or not those whom you meet and those around will draw a conclusion.

Be honest Naam - What do you travel in when you go long haul ?

long and short haul business, sometimes first. and of course i don't wear shorts on any flight. but i have flown (in olden times) first class dressed in jeans and t-shirt. if you are some sort of "million miler" (i lost that kind of status long time ago) you can be dressed in a pyjama. once the flight attendant saw the seat number on your boarding pass you were addressed with name and title on Lufthansa, (old) Swissair and SQ. they had to memorise the data of all first class passengers. but i don't think that applies nowadays.

interesting incidence in the 80s, British Airways HKG-FRA. i boarded in BOM and some longhaired dirty looking unshaved hippie in a red jumpsuit blocked the way to first. he only moved when i was about to give him a push. the hippie flew first too. years later i was watching TV and saw the hippie singing a song. i shouted to the Mrs "have a look, that was the tramp whom they let fly first on BA!" the Mrs said cooly "that's the famous rock star Rod Stewart."

p.s. at my age "nouveau riche" does not apply. it's more like "très vieux riche" laugh.png