Driving License For Car At 17 Years Old

beigo

You need to be 18 to get a car license.

For motorcycle its 15 for up to 110 cc (I think) and 18 for over 110cc.

As noted above many people drive without a licence but not recommended. ( due to no insurance if you have accident etc.)

• Like 1

As noted above many people drive without a licence but not recommended. ( due to no insurance if you have accident etc.)

It's the car that is insured not the driver.smile.png

used to be 16 in France, is now a day 18....... if you are 17 and have a UK Drivers Licence you now cannot drive in Europe until your 18 even with a Full valid UK licence ..

Guess here would be the same, if the age is 18, then even with a Full licence you could not drive.

I was hit by a driver without a license. He was fined 200 Baht. HE caused the accident and the fact that he had no license seemed to not really matter in the police's eyes.

They wanted to aportion the blame to me and the fact he had no license seemed to have been dealt with by the small fine...

• Like 1

I was hit by a driver without a license. He was fined 200 Baht. HE caused the accident and the fact that he had no license seemed to not really matter in the police's eyes.

They wanted to aportion the blame to me and the fact he had no license seemed to have been dealt with by the small fine...

When I was in Ayutthaya, I saw kids not older than 10-14 riding scooters and swerving and zipping through cars, with material they could hardly control.

In the US it’s 15 1/2 for a learners permit and 16 for an unrestricted license. I let my kid drive the pickup a little (only on empty streets) and he’s 9.

This is absolutely outrageous behaviour. I hope you are ashamed of yourself!!

Unless he was too short to reach the pedals at 7. ;-)

In the US it’s 15 1/2 for a learners permit and 16 for an unrestricted license. I let my kid drive the pickup a little (only on empty streets) and he’s 9.

This is absolutely outrageous behaviour. I hope you are ashamed of yourself!!

Unless he was too short to reach the pedals at 7. ;-)

Thankfully I was not to short at 7, by 9 could drive anything, all the farm machines, some with 2 or 3 trailers on the back, truck, cars and the visiting big rigs, tractor trailers + back then most were crash gear boxes, not the fancy easy things of today. The guys would park up and hand me the keys so I could back there big rigs into the barn.

Very glad I did, age in UK is 17 for car Licence, passed my test on my Birthday, at 21 passed both my ALL Types Bus [PSV] and [HGV] heavy goods tests... Instructor for the Double Decker Bus put me in for my test on day 1, 3 days later was test day. he said he normally trained everyone for 5 - 7 days just to use the crash box, I went up and down the gears better then he could........... memories... used to love all those crash boxes, OK would often show off because I could and other drivers still had problems...

So yes very happy I could drive from very early on.. of course is a bit different back then driving on a big Farm Estate.

OK, thanks. It would have been chance to save quite a lot of money if it would be possible to get license from Thailand.

You would in theory have to be resident also. As far as I know no countries offer licenses to tourists.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, I know its the car that is insured here, but for anything more than compulsory insurance the policy will require the driver to hold a valid license. If not there would be no cover.

Sorry for late reply, I know its the car that is insured here, but for anything more than compulsory insurance the policy will require the driver to hold a valid license. If not there would be no cover.

This might give the wrong idea. There would be cover towards a third party, but the insurance company will try to get reimbursed from the driver/policy holder.

Edited by stevenl

OK, thanks. It would have been chance to save quite a lot of money if it would be possible to get license from Thailand.

You would in theory have to be resident also. As far as I know no countries offer licenses to tourists.

You can get an one year temporary license as tourist.

To get the full 5 year one you must have a non-immigrant visa.

Only the full 5 year can be used to drive outside Thailand.

• Like 1

Does this presuppose that the tourist in question has a a valid license from their country of residence or will they give a 17 year old foreigner a driving license if they pass the test?

Might increase youth tourism?

Does this presuppose that the tourist in question has a a valid license from their country of residence or will they give a 17 year old foreigner a driving license if they pass the test?

Might increase youth tourism?

Still have to be 18.

• 3 months later...

Can someone confirm this is correct as of now as I want to buy a new motorbike for my son and want to ensure I get the engine size right as he is 17.