Chalerm Dismisses Anti-Govt Rally Threat: Thailand

webfact

Deputy PM Chalerm dismisses anti-govt rally threat

By Digital Media

20121030124654.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 30 - Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung brushed aside the importance of Sunday’s anti-government rally, saying that despite protest groups turning up in force, the event and the movement posed no threat to the administration of premier Yingluck Shinawatra.

The deputy premier said the number of protesters estimated by the police was less than the actual turnout. He earlier estimated those in the protest to number only 1,500-2,000 persons.

Mr Chalerm, however, asserted that the rally could not lead to the toppling of the Pheu Thai-led government, saying there was no condition that would lead to such a mass rally to oust the Yingluck administration as claimed by the protest leaders.

The rally could not threaten the government's stability, he said.

Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit, a retired officer and key rally organiser, said the campaign at the Royal Turf Club was gathering steam. The group is weighing its next move and the next rally could be held within a month.

Meanwhile, Korkaew Pikulthong, a top red shirt leader, claimed that many people joined the rally after Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva met with the turf club’w owner in Nakhon Pathom, ,.

Some people in the lower northeastern provinces were reported to have been hired to join the rally, Mr Korkaew said, urging the government to shut down the royal turf club to counter the move.

The red shirt leader cautioned the government to closely watch the anti-government movement. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-30

The deputy premier said the number of protesters estimated by the police was less than the actual turnout. He earlier estimated those in the protest to number only 1,500-2,000 persons.

Unlike the various Eye-witnesses who reported 10x this number.

Some people in the lower northeastern provinces were reported to have been hired to join the rally, Mr Korkaew said, urging the government to shut down the royal turf club to counter the move.

Only the Reds are allowed to pay their supporters - the Dem's are not playing fair! sad.png

The red shirt leader cautioned the government to closely watch the anti-government movement.

Because they know how much damage a Large scale Rally can do, right? smile.png

Edited by MunterHunter

Any video of Democrats offering money? Just wondering, because there is lot's of video of Thaksin telling red shirts that they won't have to wait for their 500 baht. As for closing the venue to end the demonstration, I'm sure Mr Korkaew was speaking with his tongue firmly in cheek.

As long as it stays in the turf club, it will be fine.

Don't worry, I am sure Sondhi and his crew are just waiting to brush off their microphones, and then watch the sparks (and possibly bullets) fly.

Why should it stay at the RTC, an unsuitable venue given that they expect a larger crowd next time? Are only red shirts allowed to protest and rally wherever and whenever?

And to be historically accurate, what usually flies AT these gatherings is M-79 grenades. I'm sure the usual suspects are brushing off the dust from 2 years of non-use.

And to be historically accurate, what usually flies AT these gatherings is M-79 grenades. I'm sure the usual suspects are brushing off the dust from 2 years of non-use.

I sure hope not. Chalerm is smart in dismissing the Pitak SIam protests. If he would have said otherwise, the militant red shirts might just mobilize. That will be a disaster.

Don't worry, I am sure Sondhi and his crew are just waiting to brush off their microphones, and then watch the sparks (and possibly bullets) fly.

sparks and bullets from Red Shirt's Kwanchai?

I sure hope not. Chalerm is smart in dismissing the Pitak SIam protests. If he would have said otherwise, the militant red shirts might just mobilize. That will be a disaster.

Allowing a political party to have among its more influential and powerful supporters a murderous militia is already a democratic disaster.

Why should it stay at the RTC, an unsuitable venue given that they expect a larger crowd next time? Are only red shirts allowed to protest and rally wherever and whenever?

I have long advocated that they should use lumpini, or some other facility instead of sitting in the streets. March up and down the streets to your hearts content, but when they start erecting semi-permenant structures, it can very quickly change from a protest to a sit in, and we have seen how those have all ended up in recent years.

I am not condoning it at all, but if the plan is to sit down for days on end, it is going to get nasty very quickly.

Edited by Thai at Heart

sparks and bullets from Red Shirt's Kwanchai?

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5797486

For sure the reds will go bonkers. Inevitable, absolutely inevitable.

Any video of Democrats offering money? Just wondering, because there is lot's of video of Thaksin telling red shirts that they won't have to wait for their 500 baht. As for closing the venue to end the demonstration, I'm sure Mr Korkaew was speaking with his tongue firmly in cheek.

What cheeks?

No point shutting down the Turf Club. It only holds twenty thousand and that is unlikely to be enough for the next rally. Wonder if the organisers will see if the Rajamangala Stadium is free next month. That will stop any disruption on the streets of Bangkok again.

Allowing a political party to have among its more influential and powerful supporters a murderous militia is already a democratic disaster.

You are right but some would say that's not the way to describe the relationship between the Democrats and the Thai Army.You are of course quite correct but you should perhaps find slightly more decorous language to make the same point more effectively.

Actually I spoke to the shop keepers at Rajadamri and they said they would welcome the lock down again. They said they missed the turds in the street and effluent running down the gutter. It made them feel at home. And only 20,000? Hardly a patch on their red counterparts. Deny all you like Chalerm, the public is pissed at you and your filth and they will remove you all one way or the other. Be afraid, be very afraid...

You are right but some would say that's not the way to describe the relationship between the Democrats and the Thai Army.You are of course quite correct but you should perhaps find slightly more decorous language to make the same point more effectively.

It's hardly a relationship. In 2010 the army were there to uphold the law, not because the police chose not to support the government at the time (which I don't personally think was the case), but because the police weren't trained to deal with protests like this.

In most Western countries, the police would deal with a protest like that here in 2010 ... and they would be armed in pretty much the same way was the army was here.

The army have deposed Democrat governments, so it's not like they're naturally on their side.

The Democrat/RTA alignment is a figment of your imagination. The RTA has allowed 3 Thaksin proxy governments to form without interference. However should the criminality of this government approach the original, that might change.

Allowing the reds to violently attack those protesting this government's failings is also a dangerous scenario. The right to peaceful protest is one of the basic tenets of democracy; violent mob attacks are symptomatic of something entirely different. The problem is, do the reds know anything else?

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

Most likely Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm after his intention to meet General Boonlert Kaewprasit, chairman of the Pitak Siam (Protecting Siam) group

""I will buy two roast ducks for him and will answer any questions he may have," Chalerm said of the upcoming meeting with Boonlert. "As for the demonstration on Sunday, we cannot stop it because it is their right. But we will ensure that it is orderly.""

and having had the cozy chat, has come to the conclusion that there is no need to worry. Only a handful of people, peaceful, police all around, "don't worry, be happy"

Maybe Charlem is right, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung brushed aside the importance of Sunday’s anti-government rally, saying that despite protest groups turning up in force, the event and the movement posed no threat to the administration of premier Yingluck Shinawatra.

As history has shown, no matter how many Thaksin, the fugitive criminal, governments are removed through protest or coup, or self destruct he will buy another one with his stolen money and buy them into power. The reality is that an effective, Democratic government is needed to be popularly elected by the majority of the electrate to combat his influence and remove the Shinwatra plauge that has turn the Land of Smiles into a lawless society, ruled by greed and corruption.

• Like 1

The Democrat/RTA alignment is a figment of your imagination.

Really? Odd then that every serious commentator and contemporary historian, of different political persuasions, think otherwise.If you deny such an obvious connection through either ignorance or dishonesty, one simply loses interest in what follows and moves on to critics of this government who much as one might disagree with them have actually done some homework.

Really? Odd then that every serious commentator and contemporary historian, of different political persuasions, think otherwise.If you deny such an obvious connection through either ignorance or dishonesty, one simply loses interest in what follows and moves on to critics of this government who much as one might disagree with them have actually done some homework.

I don't think anyone questions that there are connections between the Dems and the RTA, i think what is questioned is the repeated insinuation that somehow the connections between these two groups are unique. Throughout the political spectrum connections can be found; political statesmen of pretty much all colours have relationships with high up military people.

Do the Dems have stronger ties than other political entities? Possibly. It's hard to say. The fact that the RTA has in recent history acted against supporters opposed to the Dems could certainly give that impression to those taking something of a superficial overview, but perhaps if one were to look a bit deeper one might also consider the possibility that the way the supporters opposed to the Dems have behaved has played a significant part in the biased treatment they may appear to have received.

I don't think anyone questions that there are connections between the Dems and the RTA, i think what is questioned is the repeated insinuation that somehow the connections between these two groups are unique. Throughout the political spectrum connections can be found; political statesmen of pretty much all colours have relationships with high up military people.

Do the Dems have stronger ties than other political entities? Possibly. It's hard to say. The fact that the RTA has in recent history acted against supporters opposed to the Dems could certainly give that impression to those taking something of a superficial overview, but perhaps if one were to look a bit deeper one might also consider the possibility that the way the supporters opposed to the Dems have behaved has played a significant part in the biased treatment they may appear to have received.

The new Dept. Transport minister General Prin Suvanadat who is a friend of k. Thaksin may be an exception I guess? Maybe he's not a Pheu Thai member, that would avoid the link Pheu Thai / Army wink.png