Wheres All The Money Gone?

krisb

People keep mentioning I should get 'educated'.

We all know alot of the cash gets sucked up. Perhaps some of the people who tell me to get 'educated' should get 'educated' themselves and learn to read the op better. Its in black and white and basic english.

All I asked is what projects people have seen or people that have been helped in Thailand?

We all know these places use up perhaps as much as 90% of donated money. Alot.

That would leave 100grand in every million. At least.

Thats alot of cash in Thailand.

So wheres it being spent?

ps, please dont tell me to get 'educated' anymore.

krisb, I have given a couple of instances of where the money is being well spent. They don't happen to be in Isan, but that's because they're the ones I know best... and I spent 15 years in Chiangmai compared with 4 in Isan. I spent 10 years of my life working for one of these, and I know where the money went.... to the students we were supposed to be helping.

It would be nice if someone posted the names of Isan-based charities which are doing good work... and not sequestering all the donated cash.

Gary A is full of bluster; he keeps telling us to 'google charities' but he doesn't say which charities. Name some names, Gary.

Not much good to Google anyway, can you believe a word they say? i dont think so

Many year ago i want to do some charity work and google this about Thailand, i did only get various company ask for minimum $3 000 per person in American dollars for two week "holiday" to charity work that would "help" people

scam scam scam

I have looked, my net is very bad so can't scan large sections fast, but found one which looks like they may have the answers for the poor.

Bringing Change to the Isaan

A new opportunity in Thailand

In North East Thailand, bordering Laos and Cambodia, lies a region of 22 million people considered to be one of the least evangelised areas of the world. They are the forgotten unreached – the Isaan – where only two in 1,000 people know Jesus as their Saviour.

Australian Pioneers workers, Phil & Jenny Malone, intend to launch a new work in this region with a vision to plant simple and reproducible churches with a goal to saturate Isaan with a church planting movement by 2020. This is a task beyond what any human can achieve, and relies totally on the sovereign power of God through his chosen labourers. Phil & Jenny plan to move into Isaan in November 2012 and to mobilise five new teams throughout this vast and needy region. They are praying for workers to join them.

Who are the Isaan?

The Isaan follow a syncretistic mix of Buddhism and ancient animistic beliefs. This holds them in bondage to fear of spirits, dictating a lifestyle where they must appease spirits and make merit in order to earn good favour.

Only 50% of the population lives in urban communities. The region is mainly comprised of poor rural communities and smaller towns. The dominant industry is agriculture with ‘sticky rice’ as the staple food. Isaan is the driest and poorest region in Thailand (materially and spiritually). Seventy per cent of Isaan’s population is classified as poor and all of Thailand’s ten poorest provinces are in Isaan.

The whole Isaan region has been Satan's domain for many centuries with a history of spiritual oppression – many past attempts to set up ministry have experienced serious attack, which has often resulted in closing down ministry efforts.

What is the envisaged nature of work for which labourers are needed?

Depending on the skills God brings to these teams, Pioneers aims to work with a range of wholistic ministries (where possible with the local Thai church) to sow seed through relationship building. Wholistic ministries provide opportunities for building relationships and outreach and evangelism as a forerunner to planting new house churches. Wholistic ministry in Isaan can include (but is not limited to) care for young mothers raising their kids from unwanted pregnancies, care for orphans (in community-based care), addiction recovery, sports ministry, help in micro-enterprise start-ups. Other possibilities are discipleship and leadership training in the local church, and teaching English in local schools as a bridge to ministry with Isaan children and their families.

Contact?

If you want to be involved in seeing Jesus proclaimed in this genuinely unreached area of the globe and to engage in building relationships that lead to planting new churches, please send an email to Phil Malone, Pioneers co-ordinator for this new work, at <email address removed as per forum rules>

Edited by metisdead

"If you want to be involved in seeing Jesus proclaimed in this genuinely unreached area of the globe and to engage in building relationships that lead to planting new churches, please send an email to Phil Malone, Pioneers co-ordinator for this new work,"

That says it all really doesn't it?

If you do your homework you will find that of all the money donated to various charities, most deliver only a small amount to where the money is actually supposed to go. Many are in the ten percent range. The rest goes to pay greedy executives.

..Nothing to do with me not doing my homework....

Your answer hasnt answered my question.

I suggest that you read and concentrate a bit more. After the administration costs are paid, there is very little money left.

Well said Gary

A few years ago there was a " scandal " involving a very well known NGO Organisation, it seemed about 90 % of the donations were used to pay the salaries and the expenses of the organisation itself.

So in fact when you offer a donation you are probably founding a few people who are having a good life with your money.

• Like 1

"If you want to be involved in seeing Jesus proclaimed in this genuinely unreached area of the globe and to engage in building relationships that lead to planting new churches, please send an email to Phil Malone, Pioneers co-ordinator for this new work,"

That says it all really doesn't it?

yes it sure does say it all haha!

Phil Malone.....sounds abit like feel alone doesnt it

The local temple school nearby, are very proud of the fact that they are sponsored by a charity, I'm not sure which one.

It would be interesting to hear which charity.

Wow, congrats, your the first!

Mr Krisp, Unicef here, would you go to Dr Congo and take a borehole pump with you, find some people or machinery to make the bore and fit the piping ect, you might need a filter system to make the water drinkable, dont forget to take a tent to live in,,

Ok, forward me 6k usd, im not living in a tent, i want a hotel!! ect ect ect,,

Im pretty sure that the only time aid gets to the needy without charity organisations is when western goverments do an air drop,

Mr Krisp, Unicef here, would you go to Dr Congo and take a borehole pump with you, find some people or machinery to make the bore and fit the piping ect, you might need a filter system to make the water drinkable, dont forget to take a tent to live in,,

Ok, forward me 6k usd, im not living in a tent, i want a hotel!! ect ect ect,,

Im pretty sure that the only time aid gets to the needy without charity organisations is when western goverments do an air drop,

Hi unicef, its Krisb here.

Sorry I dont know where Dr Congo is. However I do know where Issan is and yes I would gladly take your bore and pump there. I travel 3 times a year to this Thai region.

I dont need a hotel as I have a house in an area about 100km from Khon Kaen and if the area you mention is nowhere near here, there are members on here that Im sure would be happy to help get the pump to the right place and have a local tradesman install it. Local tradesman are very cheap compared to western wages as Im sure your CEO could verify.thumbsup.gif

A borehole, filter and pump costs about 30,000baht or less than 1000$AUS. Thats installed. Therefore I see no need to send you 6,000$. Even if I wanted a hotel, these are plentiful for $20 a night and food is cheap also up here, therefore the donated money could be used much more wisely and Im certain the good persons who donated the money wouldnt wish to see it wasted on excessive luxury.

An idea I have is why doesnt unicef consider finding like minded people to help with projects like you mention here as there are plenty of good folk who would only be to happy to assist in basic projects like this free of charge?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by krisb

A message for the Malones.

Do let me know where in Isaan you will be moving to, so I can join in the ‘serious attacks’ on your efforts to rid us of Satan, enhance our spirituality and feed us MacDonalds (?) as an alternative to the sticky rice we enjoy.

I live in Isaan and although materialistically poor by your standards perhaps, the happy life we live here doesn’t need your divine intervention. We are not forgotten, the good Lord Buddha looks after us all. We are not unreached either, your prose suggests to me we remain uninfected by your Saviour (not ours).

Take your mission elsewhere, somewhere that needs you, go back to Oz perhaps?

A message for the Malones.

Do let me know where in Isaan you will be moving to, so I can join in the ‘serious attacks’ on your efforts to rid us of Satan, enhance our spirituality and feed us MacDonalds (?) as an alternative to the sticky rice we enjoy.

I live in Isaan and although materialistically poor by your standards perhaps, the happy life we live here doesn’t need your divine intervention. We are not forgotten, the good Lord Buddha looks after us all. We are not unreached either, your prose suggests to me we remain uninfected by your Saviour (not ours).

Take your mission elsewhere, somewhere that needs you, go back to Oz perhaps?

We here in Oz dont want them back!....They sound like the evangelists of the USA

Interesting subject.

Some time ago (few months), I contacted a charitable org that also do work in the area of Isaan I live in.

I wanted to chip in something, monthly.

However, since I did not have a credit card from a list (sent to me) of Thai banks, they would NOT accept my money!

I wanted to use my Visa, but I received no thank you from them.

Don't want to name the org here, as it has some sort of Royal patronage. In case I step over a line.

Can PM the name.

I think nearly any big internationals organisations spend only about 10% on what they are suppose to do. The biggest expenses are advertising.

Small organistions can do much better or they can don't do anything, very difficult to know.

The only one i trust, sorry it's in Cambodia, it's the Dr. Beat Richner, he save thousands life every year and you can be shure a big part of the money you give will really help poor people.

But i also like to know one i can trust in Thailand...

Karen Hilltribes Trust and Student Education Trust (Nakorn Sawan) are both thoroughly reliable, and make the best use of sponsors' money.

In Isan, you can check out Tree of Life Orphanage in Buriram; I simply don't know how good they are.

I must admit that, having run an NGO in Thailand for 10 years, I did not like the big international organisations. Having said that, I think a blanket condemnation is naive; some are good, some are not, and without checking, I wouldn't know which is which.

My own NGO, the Richard Hua Education Trust Fund, is closing down its Thai operation, and anyway was funded by a legacy, not by donations.

Just encase someone out there has an overpowering need to do something, if you you tube Sam Houm village Kindergarten you will see our local pre school. Things have improved over the years, but anyone is welcome to drop of things to help. Or to any of the local village school. I'll be here with a cold beer if you do. Jim

Karen Hilltribes Trust and Student Education Trust (Nakorn Sawan) are both thoroughly reliable, and make the best use of sponsors' money.

In Isan, you can check out Tree of Life Orphanage in Buriram; I simply don't know how good they are.

http://treeoflifeorphanage.com/

I have dealt with them and they seemed very respectable and honest to me! The children in thier care have a far better standard of living than if they didn't exist, that I can be sure of.

D

On one point regarding NGOs, some are not what they seem. Had a bit of involvement with one in the Solomon islands. That was a straight out and out, Government funded, using a factitious charity. Purpose was to buy friends and influence people, while setting in place structures to help the new friends stay in charge. Jim

what exactly is a "factitious" charity?

I have looked, my net is very bad so can't scan large sections fast, but found one which looks like they may have the answers for the poor.

Bringing Change to the Isaan

A new opportunity in Thailand

In North East Thailand, bordering Laos and Cambodia, lies a region of 22 million people considered to be one of the least evangelised areas of the world. They are the forgotten unreached – the Isaan – where only two in 1,000 people know Jesus as their Saviour.

Australian Pioneers workers, Phil & Jenny Malone, intend to launch a new work in this region with a vision to plant simple and reproducible churches with a goal to saturate Isaan with a church planting movement by 2020. This is a task beyond what any human can achieve, and relies totally on the sovereign power of God through his chosen labourers. Phil & Jenny plan to move into Isaan in November 2012 and to mobilise five new teams throughout this vast and needy region. They are praying for workers to join them.

Who are the Isaan?

The Isaan follow a syncretistic mix of Buddhism and ancient animistic beliefs. This holds them in bondage to fear of spirits, dictating a lifestyle where they must appease spirits and make merit in order to earn good favour.

Only 50% of the population lives in urban communities. The region is mainly comprised of poor rural communities and smaller towns. The dominant industry is agriculture with ‘sticky rice’ as the staple food. Isaan is the driest and poorest region in Thailand (materially and spiritually). Seventy per cent of Isaan’s population is classified as poor and all of Thailand’s ten poorest provinces are in Isaan.

The whole Isaan region has been Satan's domain for many centuries with a history of spiritual oppression – many past attempts to set up ministry have experienced serious attack, which has often resulted in closing down ministry efforts.

What is the envisaged nature of work for which labourers are needed?

Depending on the skills God brings to these teams, Pioneers aims to work with a range of wholistic ministries (where possible with the local Thai church) to sow seed through relationship building. Wholistic ministries provide opportunities for building relationships and outreach and evangelism as a forerunner to planting new house churches. Wholistic ministry in Isaan can include (but is not limited to) care for young mothers raising their kids from unwanted pregnancies, care for orphans (in community-based care), addiction recovery, sports ministry, help in micro-enterprise start-ups. Other possibilities are discipleship and leadership training in the local church, and teaching English in local schools as a bridge to ministry with Isaan children and their families.

Contact?

If you want to be involved in seeing Jesus proclaimed in this genuinely unreached area of the globe and to engage in building relationships that lead to planting new churches, please send an email to Phil Malone, Pioneers co-ordinator for this new work, at <email address removed as per forum rules>

&lt;deleted&gt; godbotherers should be lined up and shot. Nothing these people do can be considered, charitable, it is all to promote their pathetic Christian agenda,

Here is a great quote from the faq:

Do I need to raise my own funds?

Yes. All our members trust the Lord Jesus to meet their financial needs.

it begs the question that if Jesus was going to meet my financial needs, why would I need to work?

Edited by tinfoilhat

I wouldn't even worry about these Christian charities quoted above trying to convert the village farmers in northeast Thailand. At the most, they may convert 10 or 20 people in ten years. The Christian churches have been working in northeast Thailand for over 100 years and hardly made a dent. All a fuss about nothing.

• Like 1

On one point regarding NGOs, some are not what they seem. Had a bit of involvement with one in the Solomon islands. That was a straight out and out, Government funded, using a factitious charity. Purpose was to buy friends and influence people, while setting in place structures to help the new friends stay in charge. Jim

what exactly is a "factitious" charity?

. Lacking authenticity or genuineness; sham: speculators responsible for the factitious value of some stocks.

NGO's, charities? If you want to donate, it's up to you. I live in the boonies of Loei province and have lived here for about the past eight years. YES, there are a lot of very poor people in this area. Never once have I seen any NGO or charity do anything to help these small villages. The nearest thing to help has been the bible thumpers and their preaching is not needed or wanted. If they want to do some good they could drill a new well in a village that had a well that went dry two years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

858944-event-charities.gif

Above is a table taken from an Australian newspaper it gives a run down on what charities are currently spending on administration costs, I donate now to the charities I know are not wasting the money.

Edited by rick75

858944-event-charities.gif

Above is a table taken from an Australian newspaper it gives a run down on what charities are currently spending on administration costs, I donate now to the charities I know are not wasting the money.

So you have given up on thai girls then laugh.png