New Ranger/mazda Bt-50 Rust Issues...

funcat

As many of new owners of those trucks already noticed,there is an issue with some rusting parts,mostly injectors(due to some design problem with the top cover,the water is accumulating at the top of the engine,were the injectors are placed),some bolts,but also some engine block parts as well.

I've snapped some photos of my 2.2 XLT...and this is only after 2 months of use from new!!

I've visited the dealer service dpt in CM and they were NOT of much help(!)...I had to actually show them where the problem is...

Well,we've spend a few hours over there and the only thing they did,was to put some silicone in the place that I had to show them where as well(the plastic under the windshield there is one spot that allows water to drip)...They did not have any rust proofing sprays,or something like that...also they did not even clean those rusted parts...I was asked to send my photos to the service dpt and they should forward them to the Ford headquarters...hmm,that will probably take awhile...

I hope that anybody who is concern about this problem,will start acting about it right away,that may actually speed up the process (I hope)....

post-60959-0-50861400-1351585360_thumb.j

post-60959-0-31693500-1351585501_thumb.j

post-60959-0-59344500-1351585630_thumb.j

post-60959-0-90574600-1351585894_thumb.j

post-60959-0-18711300-1351586047_thumb.j

post-60959-0-16945500-1351586188_thumb.j

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that them having you take photos and them forwarding them to the service department is the best way to go. This is a cosmetic issue (at least in the shorter term) and I think you will be much better off waiting for whatever fix (if any) Ford comes up with for this. The last thing you want is some knucklehead scraping and painting or gobbing on silicone. Remember, their idea of what looks appropriate may differ significantly from yours.

If Ford does not address this, I would treat it with a conversion treatment (Google Ospho). This will convert the rust to a hard coating, and prevent rust for a couple years. I have been using it for years and love it. It is cheap and real easy to use, but it is a little difficult to source. I get it from the US, but I am sure something similar must be available here. I believe it is little more than phosphoric acid. Most spray on rust preventatives (WD40, Sonex, Boeshield…) are oily and will attract dust and dirt, Ospho will not.

To be clear, surface rust will not really hurt anything, and I would not touch it until you determine what (if anything) Ford is going to do.

It’s not uncommon to get surface rust even on stainless rivets and threads, or most any fastener. When you use carbon steel tools, the carbon steel often rubs off and will turn orange when it gets wet.

I could be wrong, but most of the rust in the photos looks like surface rust on cast iron, that’s not going away and it’s not an issue.

Again, either Ford will address it or they won’t. I doubt very much individual dealers will take it upon themselves to address this, nor do I think they should.

Anybody heard of this rust issue being raised elsewhere? Had a look at the UK Ranger forum, nothing. How about the Thai Ranger forum?

I'll be taking mine in for its 3000km check next week. I'll be asking those Chiang Mai folk again.

Edited by MESmith

The older I get, the more I like hanging around the house. At the end of the day all you really have is how you feel about yourself.

You might contact Ford directly via email and forward the pictures yourself, at least then you have a record of contacts you have attempted. If you do not get a positive response in a reasonable length of time, start with US customer service.

I’m guessing the dealer will be less than useless.

...and back on the topic...most of those problems are(!) the surface rust,so it is cosmetic at this time,but on the long run it should be taken care off...

The bigger issue is the one with the injectors corrosion...if not addressed,this can lead to some more serious problems in the future.By looking at the plastic cover,it seems to be a few cm to short...if this is so,it can be easy fixed,by redesigning the cover,or just adding a few cm of extra material...something like an extension.I'm still thinking what kind of material will be resilient to heat in the engine compartment and bond togather...that's for DIY solution....at least the rainy season is over(that's for CM) smile.png .

The long term solution to this problem should come from the Ford headquarters...I hope tongue.png

• Like 1

I think that them having you take photos and them forwarding them to the service department is the best way to go. This is a cosmetic issue (at least in the shorter term) and I think you will be much better off waiting for whatever fix (if any) Ford comes up with for this. The last thing you want is some knucklehead scraping and painting or gobbing on silicone. Remember, their idea of what looks appropriate may differ significantly from yours.

If Ford does not address this, I would treat it with a conversion treatment (Google Ospho). This will convert the rust to a hard coating, and prevent rust for a couple years. I have been using it for years and love it. It is cheap and real easy to use, but it is a little difficult to source. I get it from the US, but I am sure something similar must be available here. I believe it is little more than phosphoric acid. Most spray on rust preventatives (WD40, Sonex, Boeshield…) are oily and will attract dust and dirt, Ospho will not.

To be clear, surface rust will not really hurt anything, and I would not touch it until you determine what (if anything) Ford is going to do.

Thanks,I'm familiar with Ospho...just wonder,if they sell it here...but since it is mostly cosmetic at this point,I will wait for Ford answer first ...

one might wonder how the rust was caused initially....plain water vapor? or immersion?. A part would have to have been continually wetted for a while to cause rust would it not?.

Can't help but think about a rather wet Bangkok especially as it is not noted by overseas blog sites?

Would clean off ( chemically or by hand) see if it comes back.

Hope it is all cosmetic mate..

STILL waiting for my 3.2 4x4 BT50 but if it ever arrives will certainly check for rusty bits.....lol

...and back on the topic...most of those problems are(!) the surface rust,so it is cosmetic at this time,but on the long run it should be taken care off...

The bigger issue is the one with the injectors corrosion...if not addressed,this can lead to some more serious problems in the future.By looking at the plastic cover,it seems to be a few cm to short...if this is so,it can be easy fixed,by redesigning the cover,or just adding a few cm of extra material...something like an extension.I'm still thinking what kind of material will be resilient to heat in the engine compartment and bond togather...that's for DIY solution....at least the rainy season is over(that's for CM) smile.png .

The long term solution to this problem should come from the Ford headquarters...I hope tongue.png

A company making carbon fiber parts may be able to modify the original - extending it. I've seen a number of cf engine covers so it must be doable.

After all the crap I got from buying a Cruze and all the praise people got from buying a Ranger.

Ranger = Use less than 60 days - Rust

Cruze = Use over 1 year/driven through floods - 1 noisy brake pad fixed by cleaning at the local B-Quick.

Are you not aiming higher and more hi-so like the D-Max? :lol:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by freemindxs

My D-Max will be so Hi-So you guys will pee your pants.

Bet you won't tell us here when stuff starts rattling and falling apart. whistling.gif

And like your Cruze it will be the best ride on the planet eh. laugh.png

PS. Love to hear if Isuzu has got rid of the dated ancillary V drive belt. Have asked here many times but no answers. sad.png

Bet you won't tell us here when stuff starts rattling and falling apart. whistling.gif

PS. Love to hear if Isuzu has got rid of the dated ancillary V drive belt. Have asked here many times but no answers. sad.png

We love our car. Your car is shit. So you're jealous. I get it.

Edited by thaicruze

We love our car. Your car is shit. So you're jealous. I get it.

Which one of my cars ? Edited by transam

I'd really have major concerns if I still had a child at school who was being subjected to his extreme and odd views. crazy.gif

I've actually gone and scanned the teacher's carparks at my kids school for Cruze's, just to be sure.. next up, white pearl D-max's.. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I'd really have major concerns if I still had a child at school who was being subjected to his extreme and odd views. crazy.gif

I've actually gone and scanned the teacher's carparks at my kids school for Cruze's, just to be sure.. next up, white pearl D-max's.. cheesy.gif

I do believe quite a few posters on this board may be going to do likewise now.

Or any ride with a wet passenger seat. coffee1.gif ...................laugh.png

If your kids come home from school one day and advise you to change the Cayenne and Evoque for a Cruze and D-Max, I guess you'll know why. biggrin.png

I do believe quite a few posters on this board may be going to do likewise now.

Yes but I will also be checking for BMW X1's just to be surewink.png

If your kids come home from school one day and advise you to change the Cayenne and Evoque for a Cruze and D-Max, I guess you'll know why. biggrin.png

555 :)

Thankfully, the only car suggestions I get are from my 7yo, who just about every week shows me the red 458 Italia Spider he's set as his ipad wallpaper and asks: "Why don't you buy one of these?" w00t.gif