Place To Stay - Peace & Quiet

anilorak

Hi,

I've been to Thailand several times but never before in Hua Hin.

I'd like to get some advice about where to stay - for a 10-days vacation. If I like it, I'll come back for a longer stay!

I'd like to stay quite close to the beach - and I would prefer a bit out of town in a calm place.

The hotels / guest houses I've found at different internet sites are mostly hotels in town, what about bungalow places south or north of town (not to far from town)?

If you stay outside Hua Hin - is it easy to get a taxi to town - and is it safe? I'm travelling alone and have done so before, not ever faced any problems. But, this is a new area to me, only have been to the west coast before.

Thanks very much for your help!

/Lina

I can only speak about Khao Takiab, about 6 km south of the city center. It's quieter than downtown, but certainly not isolated. You can get bungalows or apts. at the beach for 1,500 per night, on up to 6,000.

There's a group bus (songtaew) that plods into town for 10 baht per person, leaving about every 15 minutes during daylight hours. At night, getting back from the town center is by private taxi, roughly 100 baht. I think they're all safe. In town, there are a few motosai taxi stands. You can rent a little scooter for about 130 baht per day.

Hmmm,

Checked out Khao Takiab and some hotels there. Seems to bee a bit over my budget.

I would like to pay approx 1500 bahts per night (march). A nice, clean place, air condition, restaurant.. Tv and pool not necessary if close to the beach.

Other areas close to Hua Hin is also interesting! Do anyone have ideas?

Khao Lak used to be my favorite place on earth (before the tsunami). Calm and easygoing - and still close to a more lively area (Phuket).. Can I find that in or close to HH? Of course I can go around on my own and find my favorite place, but I only have 10 days this trip so I thougt it would be nice to do some research before I go..

Hope someone can help me on this!

Hmmm,

Checked out Khao Takiab and some hotels there. Seems to bee a bit over my budget.

I would like to pay approx 1500 bahts per night (march). A nice, clean place, air condition, restaurant.. Tv and pool not necessary if close to the beach.

Other areas close to Hua Hin is also interesting! Do anyone have ideas?

Khao Lak used to be my favorite place on earth (before the tsunami). Calm and easygoing - and still close to a more lively area (Phuket).. Can I find that in or close to HH? Of course I can go around on my own and find my favorite place, but I only have 10 days this trip so I thougt it would be nice to do some research before I go..

Hope someone can help me on this!

anilorak, there is a place called the "Condo Chain" about 2 K's South of Hua Hin. Its has a walkway down to the beach (50-60mtrs) as well as a nice pool. The Condos are mostly privately owned by Thais and Farang. The deal is, a lot of them are sub let when the owners are not there. For 10 days you maybe pushing it a bit, but you can try. I have stayed there on a couple of occasions for two weeks at a time. The rent works out really cheap. 1 bedroom 1 bathroom unit will set you back about 3500bht for the 2 weeks (250bht/day) :o plus elec and water.

There is a plathora of resturants within 300 mtrs North and South of the building. There is a full time "taxi" available from downstairs, or the green baht bus and motorcy taxis going past on the main road.

There is no info on this place on the internet. You just have to turn up at reception at try your luck. Another option (if you liked Kkao Lak) would be to by pass Hua hin totally and continue further south to the Thap Sakae & Bang Saphan area. There is a shitload of info on the net about this destination.

Good luck, whever you end up :D

Edited by Call_me_daddy57

On the sort of budget you're talking about, there's loads to choose from.

As a general rule, head south of the town centre towards Kao Takieb, as already has been said. If you go north, the beach is not nearly as good.

What I would say though, having lived here for 8 years, is that even the places "in the centre of town" are not really in your face places.

It's really easy to find somewhere within a 10 min walk of the centre and when you get back there, you're miles from anywhere.

Take taxis or songthaews. I've unfortunately known three westerners who were killed last year on their own bikes. HH is definitely not a safe place for traffic.

I could recommend a map and places, but I don't think it would go down too well on this forum.

Bang Saphan is great. If you want to know more, carry on posting, or PM. I know a number of farangs who are living there now very happily.

Thanks for your posts,

After checking the different I've kind of changed my mind. Since It's my first time to HH-area, I maybe should start with a few nights in town (as you say it's possible to find a quiet places there as well) and then spend a week south of town. I guess reservations will not be needed (arriving end of march)??

I will also look around for areas and prices for renting/buying a house if I enjoy the area. I've seen there are lots of houses both close to HH centre and south of town. Some Swedish companies (I'm Swedish) are building in the Huay Yang area is quite close Bang Saphan I think. Reading about it on the internet just makes me confused, so I'll see for myself...

Thanks for your posts,

After checking the different I've kind of changed my mind. Since It's my first time to HH-area, I maybe should start with a few nights in town (as you say it's possible to find a quiet places there as well) and then spend a week south of town. I guess reservations will not be needed (arriving end of march)??

I will also look around for areas and prices for renting/buying a house if I enjoy the area. I've seen there are lots of houses both close to HH centre and south of town. Some Swedish companies (I'm Swedish) are building in the Huay Yang area is quite close Bang Saphan I think. Reading about it on the internet just makes me confused, so I'll see for myself...

A place near huahin I have just stayed came back yesterday is

http://www.terraselisa.com

run by a Dutchman the photos are quite accurate and it is clean and tidy the beach is so quiet you just would not believe it. About 40km south of Huahin between a national park and the sea. Four nights there cost us 5700bhat which (included breakfast in with the room rate) and evening food and drink which we charged to the room.

Note we did book into the next door place Dolphin Resort but they made a mess of the booking so we tranfered to this one and now need a refund off Dolphin (good old UK credit cards) Another beach to the south is even quieter than this one the way but no accommodation there but good to visit about 6 miles of sand 200 yards wide with zero foot prints on it.

The photo is one of the beach in front of the reort that we stayed

post-21154-1139462242_thumb.jpg

Edited by mgc

Hi,

I've been to Thailand several times but never before in Hua Hin.

I'd like to get some advice about where to stay - for a 10-days vacation. If I like it, I'll come back for a longer stay!

Hi, Lina!

I tried to post before but got some technical problem and was thrown out, sorry.

I was in Hua Hin in october 2005 and stayed at Thipurai Beach Guest House (www.thipurai.com).

It was not bad. 1000 Baht per day for a double room, AC, big room and bathroom, balcony, swimmingpool. About 150 meter nice walking down through some sort of park with high trees to a wonderful beach. The area is rather silent and quiet, and it is about 10 minutes walk to the centre of the city with many restaurants and shops. Of course the local area also has restaurants.

I met the owner, a swedish man from Gothenburg, who has been living in Hua Hin for 17 years, if I remember correct.

I also looked at Siripetkasem Hotel on SraSrong Rd, very close to the Bus Station. Acceptable and cheap, only 300 Baht. It is in a thai area with cheap and excellent thai restaurants but you have to go pickuptaxi to the beach.

Olaus

pool not necessary if close to the beach.

About the beach - hold your horses. Although long, reasonably clean and pleasant to walk, it does not attract that many swimmers. Mainly day-trip Thais who have no pools available to them.

The water can get nearly as murky as Chao Praya river. Never got wet in it other than feet.

I don't think it's polluted, just not what you get at Koh Samui or Khao Lak.

:o Been living in Koh Takeab over 14 months...happily...there are lots of places to stay and easy access to city if needed...should get here soon as this area is now becoming an up market vacation destination..even in what was a sleepy moo baan, now there are traffic jams...dont come if you are looking for ritzy night life, fortunately still a quiet place...great for beach walks and cycling on push bike...it is a seniors atmosphere, but hey, for me ok as am over 60 myself...dont tell too many people about it as it may go in the direction of other less salubrious locations in LOS.. :D Dukkha