Perfect Day

Cuban

This morning was just perfect.

Walk through the fields with the dogs, down to the rver in time for the sunrise and back home via the Wat with the happy monk. A mug of proper coffee with breakfast while watching the village rush-hour, which means both cars passed by the house. At the weekend there was an occassion when three pick-ups were at the junction at the same time, an event that will be remembered for many months here abouts.

Now just the day to fill with a selection of minor tasks each of which will probably be a pleasure, although first there is another mug of coffee that requires attention.

Bliss.

• Like 2

It's always nice, Cuban, to hear of someone enjoying the simple things around him. The little boys who say, "Good morning!" at any time of day with a big grin, the old farmers who stop for a chat (they don't understand me and I don't understand them, but we're both happy), eating fresh vegetables and fruit from our own garden, my little dogs swimming the length of a small pond to get at the duck.... everyone has their own.

Contentment with simple things is a precious possession.

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding me of my destination : - )

Title of this thread "Perfect Day" reminds me of one of my most perfect days in the Netherlands when our catholic church clock was struck by lightning and stopped time in our little village for almost more than a week. When I asked our local priest why time had stopped he told me that the batteries were empty and needed to be replaced.

Perfect day who knows, mine started about 9 am, wraped in a thick blanket, cool night. Kids came in and jumped on me, get up daddy, end of dreams. Up I get and off to the stilt patio to check the net, wifes made a pot of coffee. Coffee and first cigarette for the day, 2nd cup and 3 rd smoke hear a sharp crack, look down from the stilt patio to see 3 of the neighbors armed with muzzle loading nok rifles hunting a bunch of feral chickens at the back of the house. A bit of breakfast, fast shower and another try to get a signal on the net, then on to the chopper and off to the factory.

Feed the dogs, start watering, by bucket the newly planted coconut trees. Dig out and replace a few dead ones. 3 hours later covered in sweat and spent, back on the bike for home. Stop on the way for 6 bottles of beer and 2 packs of wonder.

Home and a sausage and egg sandwich, back on line write a few e mails, help bath the kids and another shower for me.

Beer o clock, go out front to watch the kids play in the street. Across the street a neighbor has decided that a coconut tree is to come down. Monkey man climbs the tree and starts cutting the fronds and nuts away. People come, big knives are out, next kids and neighbors are sitting on the road drinking the milk and eating the meat. Much laughing and smiling and even more when silly farang has to do a silly dance as 4 coconuts come rolling at his feet, as he stands and watches. Tree comes down and nice girl comes and collects the fronds, nice ass and farang sits watching her bend over to pull the leaves to a hand cart.

Fun is over and I again return to patio to sip beer and write this. Will have dinner with the family shortly, drink more beer and go to bed. Just another day. Jim

My perfect day will start tomorrow. Up at 4:50 am, as I am every day, including weekends here in Ubon. Rake the leaves, sweep the road outside along my fence line, water the lawn and garden in the company of my dog.

Takes one hour. Inside for a shower and breakfast. Then I will be off to the nearby village to buy the first of my grass seed this season from my village farmers. For 25 farmers I will pay out 297,000 baht in cash at about 10 am. That is when my happy perfect day really begins. In a small village, these farmers are able to produce the best tropical forage grass seed in the world. And I have been doing it for over 18 years in Ubon. I would like to retire but I really can not stop. Anyway, tomorrow will indeed be a really perfect day for me.

Nice post, Cuban. You paint a picture of the way life should be in Isaan ... a way it is for all of us who chose to settle here. This is the kind of story that will appeal to all falang Isaanites who place true value on the simple laid-back lifestyle we have opted for and wouldn't be without. Your particular portrayal of only a couple of cars in rush hour really sums up the varying village communities. My village is somewhat busier but life along the riverbank with fishermen busying themselves or patrolling the quiet backwaters in small boats as dawn breaks has to be one of the most relaxing ways to start a day. And strolling through the grounds of a local temple where monks smile and pass the time of day is top notch.

Edited by Jezz
  • Like 1

I love watching the cows and calves off for their daily feed in the fields each morning.

Indeed a few days ago we (dogs and I) had came to a small clearing midway to the river to find a village man tending to his cow who had obviously given birth in the preceeding hour or two, calf still wet. Glad the dogs remained with me at that moment in time and went on-lead for a while.

The rest of yesterday was filled with dog grooming, teaching niece how to fix and improve her computer (just a new battery and memory adjustment) simple stuff but occupied a few hours.

Had some grotty days too - but that is worthy of another thread...

Sitting outside in the evening reading a book and listening to the village going to rest. Cat demanding attention on one side, dog on the other. Wife brings me a beer and asks if I want to eat now or later.

I think I deserve this after 40 years hard labour.

I live like this already at a young age but only a few months a year....

I got my 15 years of hard labour behind my teeth. 25 to gosick.gif ...

Respect to cooked! Appreciate the small things in life. Beautiful.