English Pattaya Condo Manager Accused Of Contaminating Water Supply With Bleach

Rimmer

English Pattaya Condo Manager accused of contaminating water supply with bleach

PATTAYA:--For the second time in 24 hours, the Pattaya Pat Condominium in Soi Nokow, Central Pattaya is in the news and this time Police are looking for the English manager of the condominium who is accused of putting bleach in the water tanks which provide the water for the complex, despite protests by residents.

A group of the residents made a formal complaint at Pattaya Police Station on Wednesday afternoon to report the use of the bleach and presented evidence of skin problems which they claim were caused by the hazardous liquid being placed in water tanks. Despite the fact they are not happy with Mr. Alexander William Kay aged 69 from England, acting as manager of the complex, Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time.

Full story:http://www.pattayaon...-supply-bleach/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-31

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I guess that I better be careful. I put bleach in our water supply on a regular basis. One thing to keep in mind is that if it has a strong smell, you put in too much. It doesn't take much.

Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time.

I don't understand this bit? I always thought even after being caught the first time you would be locked up in the detention centre and deported. How come this guy gets two chances and is still free to roam around?

Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time.

I don't understand this bit? I always thought even after being caught the first time you would be locked up in the detention centre and deported. How come this guy gets two chances and is still free to roam around?

Well for one thing,he may have been caught,for which there are on going inquiries, however so far he has not been convicted,but I could be wrong, It's possible,this being Thailand,that you can be deported on the authority of the immigration officers.

Probably because they aren't sure if he's actually been working or not, so maybe they are still investigating. They can't lock him up if he hasn't done anything wrong.

8 drops per gallon is usually enough but stupid adding it manually as how does one know if all the previously treated water has been already used.

Where do you get this number from?

I would have thought there were a few other variables to factor in before being able to calculate how many drops would be required, cleanliness / purity of the water to begin with, type of bacteria / organism trying to eradicate, type of bleach being used and it's strength, length of time the water is expected to be held, end result aimed for as in cleanliness / purity, etc.

Also, as a gallon (UK or US) is a measurement, how much, as a measurement, is a, "drop"?

8 drops per gallon is usually enough but stupid adding it manually as how does one know if all the previously treated water has been already used.

I would have thought there were a few other variables to factor in before being able to calculate how many drops would be required, cleanliness / purity of the water to begin with, type of bacteria / organism trying to eradicate, type of bleach being used and it's strength, length of time the water is expected to be held, end result aimed for as in cleanliness / purity, etc.

Also, as a gallon (UK or US) is a measurement, how much, as a measurement, is a, "drop"?

drops are actually a common measurement in chemistry, but the key element missing here is the required concentration.

• Like 1

You can find that common knowledge anywhere. Hiker/camper/explorers have been using common household bleach to purify water for ages. 3-4 drops per litre used to be the norm.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csgnetwork.com%2Fh2oemergencypurifycalc.html&l=1

If one uses a glass or plastic "dropper" from a pharmacy or medial supply store then the size of the drops are uniform.

How big is a drop that can easily be found by surfing although the math is quite complicated to display.

but the key element missing here is the required concentration.

Household bleach is nominally 6% Sodium hypochlorite

I'm sure the two posts quoted about are a "wind-up" but hey, I've got a few minutes to kill.

Edited by VocalNeal

drops are actually a common measurement in chemistry, but the key element missing here is the required concentration.

I would assume that if " drops of a certain chemical" is used the concentration is supposed 100%

Nothing wrong with using little chlorine as the water is treated with chlorine(bleach) at the plant..If the water supply is clean no need, but of course that can be a problem.Easiest is run ut though a sand filter, big pool filter.

In Australia you van buy tablets that you take on a camping trip for purifying water from creeks etc..then jut use a coffee filtet if it has any dirt in it.

Chlorine is good but must be used carefully.

Also kills the aids virus.

Bathroom cleaning tip and save money.One spray bottle. I ltre water, 20 ml wash up detergent, and 50 ml standard buy in the supermarket bleach. Spray on and eave for an hour or so and wash of. Or if in the shower spray when finish and next time it will just wash off. Your grout will graduallay whiten up,

• Like 1

Money?

I have used house hold cleaner in my water, if i could get real bleach or Sodium hypochlorite, I would add it via a dropper. Bit like a drip in the hospital every time you go in with a broken finger nail.

I fixed one up many years ago in UK dolphin pool before we went to gas chlorine.

At one time we used add it manually and test it, We had two tests one for free chlorine and one for residual = used or combined chlorine. Free chlorine should be about 1 to 1.5 parts per million and you should not have any residual chlorine. If you can smell or your eye’s sting , the residual chlorine is present you need to up the chlorine dose, not reduce it as many people do.

Chlorine has been added to UK drinking water for many years.

I guess that I better be careful. I put bleach in our water supply on a regular basis. One thing to keep in mind is that if it has a strong smell, you put in too much. It doesn't take much.

You may try with 36% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide instead, that is safe and since around 2010 used in public watersupplies (in Scandinavia and some US states) instead chlorine or oxygen (pumped into the water). Hydrogen Peroxide is only water with an extra oxygen (H2O2) and oxidize the water (2 xH2O + O2), which both kills bacteria and takes bad smell out of the water.

Edit, addition:

Recent scientific US-studies shows, that chorine in drinking water may cause obesity.

A small aquarium pump (don't use much electric power) in a water tank, adding air (oxygen), can keep both the tank and the water clean and free from smell.

Edited by khunPer

If this guy has been arrested twice for working without a work permit, than why has he not been deported? Because I would bet my bottom baht he is still working and living a comfortable lifestyle with the rest of the gang that are running these condos at the residents expense in the guise of maintenence and administrative costs.

These estate management companies are big business, jobs for the lads and one main reason why I would never buy or lease a condo. It`s as corrupt as corrupt can be and an issue that should be investigated.

It's the "Sodium hydrochloride" that is added to the Chlorine that causes most of the problems. Many people are also allergic to the chlorine itself but its the stabilizing additives that are most harmful.. To treat water in an "Emergency" you use no more than a capful of bleach to one gallon purify water. To purify drinking water you should use Chlorine in GAS form not in liquid form. It also has to be added to the water by "parts per million" or by CC's per Liter. Powdered pool Chlorine will not work either. Now days drinking water is passed through a special filter by reverse osmosis and then through an ultraviolet lamp These filters are available at Home Pro for small quantities and commercial versions for larger amounts.

If this guy has been arrested twice for working without a work permit, than why has he not been deported? Because I would bet my bottom baht he is still working and living a comfortable lifestyle with the rest of the gang that are running these condos at the residents expense in the guise of maintenence and administrative costs.

These estate management companies are big business, jobs for the lads and one main reason why I would never buy or lease a condo. It`s as corrupt as corrupt can be and an issue that should be investigated.

Read the last line of the post...

Probaly he has a good lawyer.

I agree, sometimes the utility water smells unpleasant, and I like to add a little of the chlorine for teh pool. Isn't that the same as old-fashioned bleach?

Nothing wrong with using little chlorine as the water is treated with chlorine(bleach) at the plant..If the water supply is clean no need, but of course that can be a problem.Easiest is run ut though a sand filter, big pool filter.

In Australia you van buy tablets that you take on a camping trip for purifying water from creeks etc..then jut use a coffee filtet if it has any dirt in it.

Chlorine is good but must be used carefully.

Also kills the aids virus.

Bathroom cleaning tip and save money.One spray bottle. I ltre water, 20 ml wash up detergent, and 50 ml standard buy in the supermarket bleach. Spray on and eave for an hour or so and wash of. Or if in the shower spray when finish and next time it will just wash off. Your grout will graduallay whiten up,

Another tip is 1/4 oil of cloves per litre ..spray on tiles and wipe...keeps mould away..

No good deed goes unpunished...

Is this sarcasm? What was the good deed?

Posters here on TV are mainly farangs.

So you get a skewed response, whateve a farang

does is right and whatever a Thai does is wrong.

'Farangs know better than Thais' is the pervading

mentality here.

• Like 1

actually bleach is used as a natural agent to prevent fungus etc, it's not hazardous and is used in organic gardening as well to keep water containers and pipes free from fungus, we also use it to keep our stainless steel drinking bottles and all kind of containers fresh without chemicals

I agree, sometimes the utility water smells unpleasant, and I like to add a little of the chlorine for teh pool. Isn't that the same as old-fashioned bleach?

Yes. Bleach is sodium hydrochlorite. The liquid I use in my pool is 10% chlorine. Most supermarket bleach is usually weaker. Here in Thailand I have never found bleach in a supermarket.