Learn To Operate A Motorcycle

watgate

I am wondering if there are any schools or places where one can go to learn to operate a motorcycle. Although I am quite proficient in bicycle road riding and have logged countless miles riding my bicycle, not only in the States but also in Chiang Mai, I have never learned to ride a motorcycle. Since I will be in Chiang Mai for almost 4 months this winter, I thought I should learn how to ride a motorcycle so I can explore places outside the range of my bicycle. I also want to go on some excursions to various places in Thailand once I become proficient in riding motorcycles. So, if anyone knows any places which could teach this farang, I would appreciate their names, addresses, and ph # if possible.

I can teach you i have taught various people before and after you could go get your motorcycle drivers licence if you want to .

How quick do you think it would take to learn for someone who had never driven one before? I was thinking I just renting one as when I go to places like Phuket and Samui I want to be able to drive around but ive heard there are some reckless drivers about so I'm in 2 minds.

I tried one for about 5 mins in Koh Phangan last time but I was too jerky on the accelerator and brakes so in the end let the gf do all the driving around.

I can take you to a big car park and you can ride around until you get comfortable then i can take you somewhere that is not to busy but has other bikes and cars on the road i reckon about 1-2 hours should be enough as i live just at the edge of the city lots of places to practise .

I can take you to a big car park and you can ride around until you get comfortable then i can take you somewhere that is not to busy but has other bikes and cars on the road i reckon about 1-2 hours should be enough as i live just at the edge of the city lots of places to practise .

This sounds like a good idea. We must meet so I can learn to ride.

There is so much happening here, and it happens so very suddenly.

Indeed, everything seems to happen at once; the u-turning truck, bloke pullin' out of the side, pick-up behind undertaking adjacent car at 200kph etc and then all is calm for 10 seconds. Had a digger pop out of a side road couple weeks back with his bucket over head... a case of duck, not duck and knock head off, or swerve out into the mayhem. Spacial vision is a must, and you'll know when you've 'got it' when you can weave down Thapae one-handed at 120 when it's not overly quiet. Aim for them spaces. wink.png

There is so much happening here, and it happens so very suddenly.

Aim for them spaces. wink.png

That is exactly the term I use too. "Spaces". Always changing, always fluid, and often at high speeds. Look for spaces and take them (if you are confident, comfortable, and able to accelerate strongly).

One point I forgot to mention - get bigger sticky tires on your bike (Vee Rubber are sticky, cheap, and made in Thailand), and check your tire pressure!

Small Thai bikes tend to have very skinny tires, and usually (always???) they are over-inflated to the point of insanity - even major dealerships do this.

One of my bikes is a 125 Wave. I put on the biggest tires that would fit safely on the rims. These tires were still smaller than the stock/factory tire that comes on the Philippine Waves! Thailand loves it's gas-saving rubber-bands on its little bikes. I disagree with that...

Going up one or two sizes on a small bike (as long as the rim is made for it, and there is room between the forks) is a wonderful idea - smoother ride and easier to handle on ruts and holes. (ps - this does not relate to big-bikes. Generally their factory tires are correctly sized).

"Aim for them spaces!"

Cheers, Mark

ps -

Just start with a rental automatic gear motorcycle in a quiet place.

These things are really easy, I guess you will be ready to drive in less than 5 minutes.

If you really need an absolute basic introduction to two wheels on pavement, then try a scooter (fully-auto). Maybe for a day or so.

But I recommend a bike with gears but no clutch (eg: Wave). It teaches more control. And generally, fully-automatics are scooters, not small motorcycles. Scooter - feet on the floor. Wave - feet on pegs. Very different - scooters are inferior for handling.

• Like 1

Most people crash on auto bikes then semi autos because they have less control over the bike this is correct it's better to learn first time on a semi auto because you can't go to fast before you have to change gear .

Edited by rakchaingmai
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was in town the other day, and saw a guy who was on a rental. He dumped the motorcycle starting out in a turn... Then he got up, dumped it again.

** The myth about motorcycles is that they are easy to ride. Yes, the smaller automatics are a lot easier, but even they can take some getting used to. I started out on a Honda Dream, and gave it a lot of time riding around the neighborhood cautiously.

As mentioned by others, learning to drive is not the point, but learning the "traffic rules" in Thailand can take some time.

What traffice rules in Thailand. Been driving here for 3 years and in most cases have not seen anyone obeying any rules. ... this is sarcasm of course

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

EVERYONE here knows someone or knows of someone killed or injured on scooters/bikes-often folks without helmets.

You can be a competent, experienced rider and still get a whack from some other crazy trying to save 10 seconds to nowhere

In a car you get a fixable dent if you are lucky; on a bike you get a hospital bed-if you are lucky. If unlucky, a bbq at the wat

• Like 1

EVERYONE here knows someone or knows of someone killed or injured on scooters/bikes-often folks without helmets.

You can be a competent, experienced rider and still get a whack from some other crazy trying to save 10 seconds to nowhere

In a car you get a fixable dent if you are lucky; on a bike you get a hospital bed-if you are lucky. If unlucky, a bbq at the wat

Great post.

EVERYONE  here knows someone  or knows of someone killed or injured on scooters/bikes-often folks without helmets.

You are right but i know plenty of people driving a bike without accidents too. I have been driving bikes and cars here for years and i prefer the bike over the car much better in traffic.

Anyway its a risk assessment we all have to make, your not bullet proof in a car either.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

You are right but i know plenty of people driving a bike without accidents too. I have been driving bikes and cars here for years and i prefer the bike over the car much better in traffic.

Anyway its a risk assessment we all have to make, your not bullet proof in a car either.

I agree with you- motorbike much quicker in traffic. We use both for that reason.

But we are talking about the OP planning to learn here and I just want him to be aware of the risks.

Off the bat, I can think of 6 people killed on bikes this year but no one in a car. For sure there have been car deaths, I just dont know of any personally. Oh yes, I can think of one who drove into the Ping at 3am.

EVERYONE  here knows someone  or knows of someone killed or injured on scooters/bikes-often folks without helmets.

I agree with you- motorbike much quicker in traffic.  We use both for that reason.

But we are talking about the OP planning to learn here and I just want him to be aware of the risks.

Off the bat, I can think of 6 people killed on bikes this year but no one in a car. For sure there have been car deaths, I just dont know of any personally. Oh yes, I can think of one who drove into the Ping at 3am.

If your new to bikes its dangerous, but if you look how some people drive bikes the nr of deaths is explainable.

I drive a big bike and a scooter but even on the big bike i see scooters flying past zig zagging in traffic with no forward planning. That they die is normal in a car you cant put you in danger like that.

Also many idiot foreigners think its ok to drink and drive a motorcycle.

So yes there are reasons for the higher death rate and even if you drive safe its easier for you to get killed on a bike.

The OP needs to know the risks and it would be great if there was a real bike driving school. I myself might take lessons as i never had any formal training. I am sure i could learn more.

........... I myself might take lessons as i never had any formal training. I am sure i could learn more.

As I said in a previous post, I had over half a million miles on a bike, on three different continents, riding daily for more than 35 years when I joined this really top notch riding school. I learned more in the several weeks I spent there, than in all the years I put in together while riding. When the top tournament golfers are not competing, they are taking lessons from golf pros. When the winners of the major tennis tournaments aren't competing, they are taking lessons. Pro footballers practice and drill endlessly. Surgeons take classes constantly. Doing the drills in the video day after day, with an instructor riding behind you, watching the lights on the special bikes you ride in class that tell him which gear you're in, which brake you applied first, and communicating with you via helmet transceivers. Anyone who goes through that school can do the drills you see in this video, and at the same speeds. It's necessary if you want to pass the Japanese national license test at the municipal testing stations. (Most Japanese do NOT take the test there. It's too difficult to pass if you haven't been to a riding school like this. The national average is 11 attempts at the test before passing... I met people there taking the test for the 18th time!)

Anyone who thinks they can just get on a bike and spend a few hours practicing in a parking lot is an accident waiting to happen. Taking professional lessons won't guarantee that you'll live forever, but you stand a much better chance than the guy who thinks he turns his motorcycle by shifting his weight.

Is there a school in Chiang mai (or Thailand) to learn this stuff ? also how much did the training cost in Japan ?

For the 'Big Bike' license course (there are three different classes of motorcycle license in Japan) the cost was about $4,000 USD for about 3 weeks of daily classroom and individual riding drills. By the end of the course you will have no trouble staying within these yellow lines, either at very slow speeds or at faster. You will be able to do everything that you saw in the video that I linked to. During the license testing, if you touch any the lines, you fail... Touch a pylon, you fail... Forget to look over your shoulder before you initiate ANY move, you fail... If you can't make a U-turn on a small soi without putting your feet down, this is the class for you! The class is about learning how to really ride a motorcycle. However, learning to stay alive on one takes much longer...

bgtw.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar

• 1 month later...

I have left CM for the time being, and I am in deep pain. I am missing so many things. Friends, foods, massages, mountains, my bike...

Riding in Canada is just not the same. Have to stop everywhere. Have to obey the speed limit. Can't go between cars. Police don''t take br!be$. Canadian bike insurance starts at $150/month. Then we have seven months of snow...

gawd I miss Thailand!

I made this video in June 2013 just before I left. I guess it is more a lesson in how NOT to drive! But it sure is fun!!

Honda Wave 125 (w/ 65,000km), and a Go-Pro sticking out of the top of my helmet! The audio is supplied by a little office memo-recorder stuffed into my sock - sounds good, na?

Now to be fair, the GoPro on the helmet gives a slightly odd perspective. It may seem that I am going faster than I really am (although I am zipping along pretty quickly, no doubt!). And things seem a little closer than they really are. Not lot closer - just a bit closer. Adds to the thrill of the video I think!

It is a quick run from Niminheman and Huey Keao (ViengPing Mansion parking lot) along past the old Central mall and along the north moat, then turning south to go past Tapae, and then left along Loi Kroh.

Then over the iron bridge, where I turn right instead of left (I am going to the Dukes), so I have to turn around...

Learn from this, kids. Learn, and recoil in horror... Cheers, wjmark

[media]

[/media]

ps - See the guy in the pickup give me the thumbs up? just on the left as we are going past Miguel's...

pps - I would love to take that Japanese skills course. I have a lot to learn...

ppps - My motorcy has a basket!

Go to a parking lot - sure.

But also go to a gravel or dirt road.

Set up a marker on the side of the road. Drive at 10km/hr. As you pass the marker, use the back brake to STOP AS FAST AS YOU CAN (without falling over). The rear wheel will skid. Get used to it! Practice this a bunch of times.

Then practice doing the same with only the front brake. CAREFUL - the front brake locking will make the bike very unstable. Get used to it. Practice.

Try doing both brakes at the same time. Try doing these techniqes faster (15km/hr). Soon you will be able to slide and lock brakes easily and without panic. The bike becomes much easier and more natural to handle.

Practice these braking techniques regularly. Try them on regular pavement too (carefully).

So when that dog jumps in front of you, and you grab the brakes hard...

Or when you are driving between rows of stopped cars, and a motorcy lurches out blindly from the side...

Or when that big Commuter van swerves (at 120km/hr) across your path ...

Or when a huge pot-hole suddenly presents itself in front of you...

Or when that sweet woman decides now is the time to trust fate and dart across the road (either on foot, motorcy or her unwieldy brand-new SUV).

I think those are the "rules of the road" here in Thailand. Don't hit anything. Don't get hit by anything...

If you expect dogs and kids and bikes and holes and trucks and craziness, there will be no surprises...

Expect cars on the wrong side of the road coming down a hill aimed at you! When it happens, it is not a surprise, so it is easier to avoid.

Maybe I have a "Rule #1" for you. Never stop paying attention.

There is so much happening here, and it happens so very suddenly. This does not mean be rigid and not turn your head. But be aware of any shit that might happen. Notice that dog 60meters up on the left. Notice that there is a car coming that will possibly run the light and hit you. Notice the songtaow about to take three lanes. Notice that his rusty bumper will probably cut off your foot!

The more comfortable and familiar you are with basic emergency braking, the more confidence you will have in your own ability to avoid all that is thrown at you.

Other advice? Don't be shy. Go up on the sidewalk occasionally (don't hit anybody). Run a red light now and then. Don't worry about cops - unless they are in a road-side stop, they will leave you alone. Get used to accelerating hard - you will leave traffic behind and can often be riding alone, even on crowded roads. Get used to passing slow vehicles. Hanging around behind them is both dangerous and slow!

Last advice. Be aggressive with your space, and people will see you. But also be polite and don't scare anybody! (It is a fine line, I know!)

Cheers, Mark (75,000km+ on small bikes in Thailand)

AND MISSING IT! -- WJMARK (Jan 2014)