How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

One more question ...

Usually I 'wet shave' with a razor in the shower, but that won't be an option here.

How do you guys do it?

Particularly interested in hearing responses from guys who used do to what I did ... but now do something else for local conditions.

Wet shave ingredients i use for 6 years now. Bar of soap/decent razor/water. No need for a mirror. I shave with my right hand and my left hand follows and checks the movements of the razor.

I have to admit: this only goes for a clean shave. When i have to adjust/maintain my moustache and sideburns(see pic) i need a mirror or a barber...

I do it in Europe as well. Easy. I saved a lot on shaving foam during the years.

Do these guys leave the shower running while they're shaving? What an apalling waste of clean water! I can't really imagine being able to do that, anyway; surely the only way to shave is with a basin full of warm (or at least melted) water, and the delicate fingertips of a dusky maiden for the the QC afterwards. melted water shouldn't be a problem unless the farm is up beyond Chiang Rai

SC

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you know a Thai is trying to improve his lot in life?

He owns a lock!

I dont get it?...not funny.

That IsaanAussie is a cheeky chap isn't he ... biggrin.png

I think what he means is that the Thais share everything ... and sometimes the Thai owner may not wish to share ... hence the use of the lock.

Many a Farang here talks about 'locking' his personal stash.

I know that gf and I discussed 'tactics' on how to keep the kids' Christmas presents hidden from enquiring eyes!

And yes ... a lock was involved.

David doesn't do wind ups ! Mind you ,268 posts later, at least he will have gleaned sufficient info to enable himself to sh*t and shave .

The non-stick frying pan was the best suggestion in my book !

Agreeing mancub ... I think I have those two things covered now.

Also ... the non-stick frying pan will be included along with the solar (warm water) shower.

A tube of vegemite

Some cheese ... because it's so darn expensive in Thailand

The hard drive from my computer which I can link into their computer.

I asked about that question here at Removing My Hard-Drive And Into Another Computer in the Computer Forum.

^^

Probably the most important thing I will take is my attitude that I have no intention of telling the Thai Family that they are wrong that the things that they have been doing for the past 10, 20 or 30 years is just plain stupid and wrong.

I will suck it, not complain and enjoy the comfort and friendless of my gf's Family.

Speaking of who ...

post-104736-0-63324200-1352663578_thumb.

MissFarmGirl ... who is a member here and posts occasionally

post-104736-0-70288400-1352663629_thumb.

Farm Mother

post-104736-0-94280900-1352663866_thumb.

Some of the Farm Family playing Ka-Plunk from Christmas last year. (Rented Apartment)

Oh, the gf did request that I bring some Peanut Paste/Butter, the extra large jar of smokey BBQ sauce and a set of sheets as she knows that I like that. I have gotten used to sleeping on the timber floor but that fan constantly on does disrupt my sleep ... though I'll supposed that I'll get used to that also ... biggrin.png

I'm not a masochist and will re-read this thread and see if I have missed any tips to enjoy my stay at the Farm more.

Tomorrow I fly out and over there.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and don't stop because I will continue to read and comment where appropriate.

THANKS ... wai.gif

Good Luck-- Nice family

• Like 2

Hi Gweiloman , I'm glad you can see what many can't. Yes my posts are sometimes controversial but they always appear to touch a nerve with a few people. Maybe that's because they see truth in my thoughts and it hurts a little. I certainly don't do it through boredom. I don't get bored. I do it to create a response and have a laugh at the anger and loathing in the replies. There are many catfish living in Issan who bite too easily. It's sad really , they should lighten up a little and not be so serious. You have my very best wishes for your forthcoming retirement. Be good and be happy.

Edited by nanapong

Some really great ideas above ... thumbsup.gif

My Member name gives a good clue to my age, and hence mobility.

As for how many times I have stayed at the Farm ... only over night a few times.

So, the next 2 months is going to be one big fat learning curve!

What bunnydrops above says rings a bell with me ... DEET insect repellants do worry me but I have used the OFF! and it works fine.

BTW ... I'm not a city boy all my life ... and also not a 'know it all' ... hence asking you fine folk your experiences when you first went to live 'at the farm' ... and the tips and tricks you did to make your life more 'comfortable'.

Thanks again and keep those 'tips and tricks' coming ... wai.gif

If you don't like DEET then you can make an infusion from lemongress and teatree/Eucalyptus oil. The recipie is on the net
  • Like 1

Hi , I'm glad you can see what many can't. Yes my posts are sometimes controversial but they always appear to touch a nerve with a few people. Maybe that's because they see truth in my thoughts and it hurts a little. I certainly don't do it through boredom. I don't get bored. I do it to create a response and have a laugh at the anger and loathing in the replies. There are many catfish living in Issan who bite too easily. It's sad really , they should lighten up a little and not be so serious. You have my very best wishes for your forthcoming retirement. Be good and be happy.

I believe I understand where you are coming from and I do agree with some of your sentiments and opinions about life in the sticks. I beg to differ however that your posts are causing some posters discomfort in that they see the truth in your posts and wish they have the strength / ability / resources to improve their lot in life. I think the majority are merely trying, with good intentions, to help you have a glimpse of what true happiness in life means. In your posts (to me at least), you come across as being quite negative with your current circumstances. Yes, you still get to enjoy your steak and kidney pies, roast leg of lamb, bash and mangers. But it seems that your heart is really somewhere else, looking for something else different (better?).

For those that have made the transition from city life, working in the square mile, to get away from the rat race and just going back to basics, this is happiness. It helps of course to be able to afford a few luxuries now and then. I remember the horror and subsequent enjoyment of scooping cold water over my head when taking a bath, something that I had not done in over 40 years, as it brought back wonderful childhood memories. Of course I immediately installed a hot water shower - I'm not a masochist after all. But it's these little things that keeps us alive and looking forward to what each and every day brings.

• Like 2

Hi , I'm glad you can see what many can't. Yes my posts are sometimes controversial but they always appear to touch a nerve with a few people. Maybe that's because they see truth in my thoughts and it hurts a little. I certainly don't do it through boredom. I don't get bored. I do it to create a response and have a laugh at the anger and loathing in the replies. There are many catfish living in Issan who bite too easily. It's sad really , they should lighten up a little and not be so serious. You have my very best wishes for your forthcoming retirement. Be good and be happy.

I believe I understand where you are coming from and I do agree with some of your sentiments and opinions about life in the sticks. I beg to differ however that your posts are causing some posters discomfort in that they see the truth in your posts and wish they have the strength / ability / resources to improve their lot in life. I think the majority are merely trying, with good intentions, to help you have a glimpse of what true happiness in life means. In your posts (to me at least), you come across as being quite negative with your current circumstances. Yes, you still get to enjoy your steak and kidney pies, roast leg of lamb, bash and mangers. But it seems that your heart is really somewhere else, looking for something else different (better?).

For those that have made the transition from city life, working in the square mile, to get away from the rat race and just going back to basics, this is happiness. It helps of course to be able to afford a few luxuries now and then. I remember the horror and subsequent enjoyment of scooping cold water over my head when taking a bath, something that I had not done in over 40 years, as it brought back wonderful childhood memories. Of course I immediately installed a hot water shower - I'm not a masochist after all. But it's these little things that keeps us alive and looking forward to what each and every day brings.

Well my posts obviously do cause people discomfort as you can see with some of the replies. Surely you're not so naive as to think people are trying to show me a glimpse of true happiness. I lived in Issan for a few months and met quiet a few farangs. Yes some are happy but in all honesty many are not. They are there because their woman wants to be there and nothing else. Look at all those sad souls i see trotting behind Tilac in Big C who'd rather dodge other farangs than be forced to say hello. If thats somebodys idea of happiness it's not mine. I wouldn't live there for anything. Why would i want to change my life so dramatically living in squalid conditions with people i can't talk too who have no conception of life as i know it. Yes , i know some guys have nice houses with all the mod cons but many don't. They live with the inlaws in nothing more than a shack. How awful and i wonder why anyone would want to do that. My heart isn't somewhere else looking for something better. If it was i'd be there. I never stay anywhere where i'm not happy. If i get fed up of Thailand i'll go back to live in Paris. If i get fed up of Paris i'd go elsewhere. We all have opinions and it's good they're not all the same. You are fortunate you have such a positive outlook of life in Issan where the simple things are sufficent for you to be in your own paradise. Don't assume all who live there have the same constitution or reason for being there as yourself. They don't and it's those who bite at anybody or anything touching a raw nerve. Voila !!!

Edited by nanapong

My tips for survival

1. Make sure the farm is within 400km of a major city. (for when you have the urge for English speaking company)

2. Build a proper toilet and shower with hot water. (less than 10kbht)

3. Make sure you always have your own transport available. (so you can escape to 1. at the drop of a hat, 15kbht for a s/h click)

4. Make sure you have your own room (OK if only the gf shares with you, but not her kids, bed and cheap mattress 5kbht)

5. Install high speed internet. (for your entertainment needs only 7kbht for 1 year)

6. Never accept invitations anywhere, until you confirm the inviter will stick to Thai traditions (and pay for everything).

PS

Nanapong is broadly correct, but only if you allow it to happen. Live where you want, apply your standards of living, if the gf doesn't go along with it, plenty more cute gfs available who will and she knows that. Communal Thai basic living (no toilet, no shower, verything dirty, all the family sharing a dirty mattress in one room is great for a one night adventure, but weeks or months .........

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Don't assume all who live there have the same constitution or reason for being there as yourself. They don't and it's those who bite at anybody or anything touching a raw nerve. Voila !!!

One only has to wander into probably the most infamous farang watering hole in issan to hear tales of misery and depression.

Bitching and moaning about, their wives, their wives family, lack of money, the weather, how the Brit gov't ripped them off with pensions.

Outsmarted by some girl with no more than a P4 education, house and land all in her name, trapped with no way out, yeah its a great life, but sadly not for me.

Spend all day drinking Chang to cure the boredom, cant speak Thai so seek solace in the company of others in the same boat where they can get together for a bitching session.

• Like 1

Well my posts obviously do cause people discomfort as you can see with some of the replies. Surely you're not so naive as to think people are trying to show me a glimpse of true happiness. I lived in Issan for a few months and met quiet a few farangs. Yes some are happy but in all honesty many are not. They are there because their woman wants to be there and nothing else. Look at all those sad souls i see trotting behind Tilac in Big C who'd rather dodge other farangs than be forced to say hello. If thats somebodys idea of happiness it's not mine. I wouldn't live there for anything. Why would i want to change my life so dramatically living in squalid conditions with people i can't talk too who have no conception of life as i know it. Yes , i know some guys have nice houses with all the mod cons but many don't. They live with the inlaws in nothing more than a shack. How awful and i wonder why anyone would want to do that. My heart isn't somewhere else looking for something better. If it was i'd be there. I never stay anywhere where i'm not happy. If i get fed up of Thailand i'll go back to live in Paris. If i get fed up of Paris i'd go elsewhere. We all have opinions and it's good they're not all the same. You are fortunate you have such a positive outlook of life in Issan where the simple things are sufficent for you to be in your own paradise. Don't assume all who live there have the same constitution or reason for being there as yourself. They don't and it's those who bite at anybody or anything touching a raw nerve. Voila !!!

Very rude comments about ignorant generalisations deleted. (by me).

If you could reduce the amount of insulting/aggressive language in your comments maybe we could take your comments seriously.

I myself have made comments about Farnags trotting around behind their Thai wives avoiding eye contact in shame. In fact your comment seems oddly similar to mine at the time. My wife trots around after me, see? This has nothing to do with Isaan, it has more to do with you. So we should all go to live in Pattaya is what you think? Whoops, insulting epithets and nouns removed.

Don't assume all who live there have the same constitution or reason for being there as yourself. They don't and it's those who bite at anybody or anything touching a raw nerve. Voila !!!

One only has to wander into probably the most infamous farang watering hole in issan to hear tales of misery and depression.

Bitching and moaning about, their wives, their wives family, lack of money, the weather, how the Brit gov't ripped them off with pensions.

Outsmarted by some girl with no more than a P4 education, house and land all in her name, trapped with no way out, yeah its a great life, but sadly not for me.

Spend all day drinking Chang to cure the boredom, cant speak Thai so seek solace in the company of others in the same boat where they can get together for a bitching session.

Where's this pub / bar? I would love to visit......

You must walk around totally oblivious to what's going on Gweiloman. All your aquaintances must live the perfect life where everything is sweetness and light. Have you never met any unhappy farangs. If not you soon will but lets not discuss that anymore. We'll brush it under the carpet and pretend it's not there. A sort of " facade " if you wish created by bitter nasty people like me who don't see the promised land or the made in heaven relationships you speak of. By the way , you're not a Jehovas Witness are you. biggrin.png

You must walk around totally oblivious to what's going on Gweiloman. All your aquaintances must live the perfect life where everything is sweetness and light. Have you never met any unhappy farangs. If not you soon will but lets not discuss that anymore. We'll brush it under the carpet and pretend it's not there. A sort of " facade " if you wish created by bitter nasty people like me who don't see the promised land or the made in heaven relationships you speak of. By the way , you're not a Jehovas Witness are you. biggrin.png

Haha, no, I'm not a Jehovah Witness or anything like that. Heck, I'm not even religious.

I don't know, I don't think I have met any TV members here in Bkk. All the other farangs that I've met, they all seem fairly happy with their current lot in life. No one seems to be complaining about their wife, gf, giks or their houses, cars or bikes or food for that matter. Then again, we're probably too busy shooting pool to engage in such profound conversations. Maybe when I'm retired and finally living in Isaan, I might meet some of these sad farangs that you're talking about :)

The boys and the gentlemen

Down boys, please. Please keep it civilized. This was a very relaxed, informative, thought stimulating thread. Until... someone felt to impose a facade which resulted in some unnecessary negative discussion.

I will not call names but wisely one poster, i have become to respect, chose to dismiss any further futile verbal threads.

I will take down the facade. More basically : wrongly interpreteded before: The poster on the building.

Boys

Let's all help each other and especially Dave because he posts in a civilized way. I feel some posters are little boys playing in the schoolyard in the 8th grade picking and bullying around the people who try to do good to the world.

Nevertheless I understand you bullies and know you need attention because i read your rants. Take your childish urges elsewhere. It is better you pick a fight in a bar because then it is possible for you to get hit in the face for real. I can handle bullies easily. Speak basic and ignoring is the solution. It is time wasting to go through all trolls and threads, likeso, while expecting this (internet)environment is supposed to be positive and constructive.

Sorry about that Dave. But i felt i had to post this anyway. However i feel not experienced enough on this forum to speak out this way since i have been active on TV for only 4 months. My apologies.

Back to the action, boys and gentlemen:

The Fan!! i totally forgot about that. I can' t sleep with the bloody thing turned on all night!

The sound and the wind in the night is what the Thais have learned to and adapt to sleep with all their lives. I will never be able to adapt to that! It' s a big problem because i dont want to takeaway that comfort from my better half. Everyone know why? It is because i consider myself civilized.wink.png

I oblige with what Dave previously stated: (in my words) we: Farang come into the Thai world which means we are guests and accordingly we have to BEHAVE like guests. In pure desperation many nights i waited until she slept and quietly turn it of, go back to bed and hope she didn' t wake up.

After i stumbled clumsily through the mosquito net in the middle of the night to turn the dam_n thing off and woke her i resorted into moving the EVIL machine very close to the bed just outside the mosquito net in order to let the turn off-button be within hands reach after i was sure she was asleep.

Of course this is no solid solution to the problem but it is merely a reaction to comfort myself more whilst living in the sticks(bad comparison btw,..sticks). Anyway this way i get more accustomed to the fan through time and will hopefully finally be able to adapt, change and assimilate my brain into being able to sleep with the horrible machine. I do not think so but i try it anyway because there is no alternative.

So back to school, boys:

I purposely wrote this story positively and constructively.

I hope readers recognize i am letting out my frustrations and anger on machines rather then persons who try to post on this very good internet forum. I cannot emphasize this more. This is a discussion place i consider to be very entertaining and informative. And boys, let keep it that way.

Oxford Advanced Dictionary " facade " the way that somebody/something appears to be, which is different from the way somebody/something really is. Or as i said a fantasy so not incorrect.

I don't see anything uncivilized in my conversation with Gweiloman. Don't you think it would be pure folly to just mention positive things about life in Thailand. There are many negative things which should be talked about and these are things David and his sweetness are going to experience very soon. Would you prefer it if we were all sort of the tree hugger type falling over ourselves to compliment each other on our wonderful postive posts. Surely " the action " you mention we should get back too , What , the noise of a fan keeping you awake. lol , wow ,very interesting , i'm sure people will be riveted by such important things. Get some earplugs and stop trying to suppress people with an open mind who are willing to discuss both positive and negative things in life. Have a nice day ...

• Like 1

As has been mentioned before, it is the terminology being used by some people that is offensive, and not particularly what they are trying to convey.

I can't be bothered to scan the whole thread again but two instances that spring to mind are : " shithole villages" and "crappy or shit Thai food", apparently just because it is spicy.

That is the problem with certain posters.

Hi Gweiloman ,

lol , i glad you saw the funny side of being a JW. It's true you won't meet many farangs in Bangkok like those in Issan. Same in Pattaya or other places with lots to do and copious amounts of other tilacs to choose should yours become too much. It's a totally different scenario to living up there , something like chalk and cheese. Up there it's easy to feel trapped and not so easy to escape. With many guys it already too late so despair creeps in and they congregate to console each other on their bad fortune. Don't forget , behind those lovely Thai smiles lay an assassin no matter where you live.

Hi Gweiloman ,

lol , i glad you saw the funny side of being a JW. It's true you won't meet many farangs in Bangkok like those in Issan. Same in Pattaya or other places with lots to do and copious amounts of other tilacs to choose should yours become too much. It's a totally different scenario to living up there , something like chalk and cheese. Up there it's easy to feel trapped and not so easy to escape. With many guys it already too late so despair creeps in and they congregate to console each other on their bad fortune. Don't forget , behind those lovely Thai smiles lay an assassin no matter where you live.

So all Australians are drunks, New Zealanders make love to sheep and Poms hide the soap under the sink. You need to take a look in the mirror. Pigeon holes are for pigeons not people...

Hi Gweiloman ,

So all Australians are drunks, New Zealanders make love to sheep and Poms hide the soap under the sink. You need to take a look in the mirror. Pigeon holes are for pigeons not people...

You leave our Pigeonjake alone, d'you hear?

• Like 2

The boys and the gentlemen

Down boys, please. Please keep it civilized. This was a very relaxed, informative, thought stimulating thread. Until... someone felt to impose a facade which resulted in some unnecessary negative discussion.

I will not call names but wisely one poster, i have become to respect, chose to dismiss any further futile verbal threads.

I will take down the facade. More basically : wrongly interpreteded before: The poster on the building.

Boys

Let's all help each other and especially Dave because he posts in a civilized way. I feel some posters are little boys playing in the schoolyard in the 8th grade picking and bullying around the people who try to do good to the world.

Nevertheless I understand you bullies and know you need attention because i read your rants. Take your childish urges elsewhere. It is better you pick a fight in a bar because then it is possible for you to get hit in the face for real. I can handle bullies easily. Speak basic and ignoring is the solution. It is time wasting to go through all trolls and threads, likeso, while expecting this (internet)environment is supposed to be positive and constructive.

Sorry about that Dave. But i felt i had to post this anyway. However i feel not experienced enough on this forum to speak out this way since i have been active on TV for only 4 months. My apologies.

Back to the action, boys and gentlemen:

The Fan!! i totally forgot about that. I can' t sleep with the bloody thing turned on all night!

The sound and the wind in the night is what the Thais have learned to and adapt to sleep with all their lives. I will never be able to adapt to that! It' s a big problem because i dont want to takeaway that comfort from my better half. Everyone know why? It is because i consider myself civilized.wink.png

I oblige with what Dave previously stated: (in my words) we: Farang come into the Thai world which means we are guests and accordingly we have to BEHAVE like guests. In pure desperation many nights i waited until she slept and quietly turn it of, go back to bed and hope she didn' t wake up.

After i stumbled clumsily through the mosquito net in the middle of the night to turn the dam_n thing off and woke her i resorted into moving the EVIL machine very close to the bed just outside the mosquito net in order to let the turn off-button be within hands reach after i was sure she was asleep.

Of course this is no solid solution to the problem but it is merely a reaction to comfort myself more whilst living in the sticks(bad comparison btw,..sticks). Anyway this way i get more accustomed to the fan through time and will hopefully finally be able to adapt, change and assimilate my brain into being able to sleep with the horrible machine. I do not think so but i try it anyway because there is no alternative.

So back to school, boys:

I purposely wrote this story positively and constructively.

I hope readers recognize i am letting out my frustrations and anger on machines rather then persons who try to post on this very good internet forum. I cannot emphasize this more. This is a discussion place i consider to be very entertaining and informative. And boys, let keep it that way.

Shock, horror, but I have to agree with nanapong's post that we were actually having a civilised conversation.

You are right though, the thread is going off topic so we should bring it back on course. I have previously read some of David's post over in the farming forum. He comes across as being bright and cheerful and optimistic - all very essential qualities for living in rural Thailand. I have no doubt that he will acclimatise and integrate well. Having said that, I also stand by one of my earlier posts that after a while, he will be in desperate need of some male English speaking companionship. Heck, I live in Bkk and even then, I need some decent conversations (definitely not pool bar talk though).

By the time you read this David, I'm sure you've settled in slightly, put your feet up and have a beer or two already. Hold on to that glow and great feeling that you are experiencing at the moment. When the skies cloud over occasionally as is bound to happen, remember what you are feeling now. Good luck matey.

I can't be bothered to scan the whole thread again but two instances that spring to mind are : " shithole villages" and "crappy or shit Thai food", apparently just because it is spicy.

You've never eaten village food, have you!

Well having lived in a village for 14 years I would have to say yes.

• Like 1