How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless you eat 1/2kilo of chillies/garlic/ginger everyday you will never be free of mossies bites, i dont eat a lot of issan food, and the only protection i have from mossies is a 20% Dettoll ,80% cheap after shower skin moisterizer, mix this together in a diffueser bottle and spray on bare skin,

Ok, it might smell like a pox doctors clinic at first, but the smell wears off quick and you will be protected for up to 4 hours, Ive been using this for 5 years now, and unless i forget, no irritating bites,,

lot better than the DDT chemical <deleted> i used to use,,,

Hmm I do eat a lot of chilis and garlic everyday and they dont seem to bother me so much. Are you suggesting the mozzies are more lickey to fly to someone who is on a western diet? Never thought of it that way..

Edited by Dancealot

Unless you eat 1/2kilo of chillies/garlic/ginger everyday you will never be free of mossies bites, i dont eat a lot of issan food, and the only protection i have from mossies is a 20% Dettoll ,80% cheap after shower skin moisterizer, mix this together in a diffueser bottle and spray on bare skin,

Ok, it might smell like a pox doctors clinic at first, but the smell wears off quick and you will be protected for up to 4 hours, Ive been using this for 5 years now, and unless i forget, no irritating bites,,

lot better than the DDT chemical <deleted> i used to use,,,

Hmm I do eat a lot of chilis and garlic everyday and they dont seem to bother me so much. Are you suggesting the mozzies are more lickey to fly to someone who is on a western diet? Never thought of it that way..

Skin type thumbsup.gif . AND, the soap us farangs might use. smile.png

Pretty sure it's more the milk and it's products in the western food as mozzies are attracted by ammonium and butyric acid.

So eating no milk, cheese and so on plus having non-smelly feet definitely reduces the attraction to mozzies...

Bye,

Derk

Pretty sure it's more the milk and it's products in the western food as mozzies are attracted by ammonium and butyric acid.

So eating no milk, cheese and so on plus having non-smelly feet definitely reduces the attraction to mozzies...

Bye,

Derk

Thankfully I don't suffer from the smelly feet but I love my cheese and milk.

I actually bought 3 packets of cheese over with me!

Off to TESCO to buy some Dettol to make one of those aforementioned home lotions to keep the Mozzies at bay.

Plus it's the big fight afternoon and maybe a bottle of Whisky to have with the odd soda to drink with the gf's father while watching the Muay Thai this arvo.

Had to mow the lawn, sooooooo got my garden hat with the neck shade, gave it a good shake to get any spiders or pesky lizards out. Plonked it on my head, w00t.gif a bloody great Centipede had made it's home there and didn't like my bonce intrusion, ouch, hat off and it's hanging there injecting i's stuff in my hansum head. It shortly met it's maker BUT l have a scar which will be noticed by the ladies. sad.png I will have to say it was a combat thing. thumbsup.gif ............smile.png

• Like 1

Without the internet isolation will set in...

I have to agree. Not having access to English TV or newspapers in English here near Ubon, the internet are my eyes and ears and sanity to the outside world. I have a AIS air card that I use with my laptop. Super slow speeds, but it works. I love the country life and get by very nicely without all the other options we depend on back home. But, internet is a must!

You can buy adapted chairs, ask a hospital. Not comfortable, apparently.

JUst ask your pharmacy in your next Lotus, Big C. In the small Pharmacy in Sakhon Nakhons province "Sawang Den Ding" small Lotus shopping center,

they have the -Special adapted chairs- but not cheap! 2-3.000 B.?tongue.png

Mozzies don't bite me any more. I have no idea why.

Used to bite me lots, but the past couple of years, hardly ever.

The only protection I have is a fan blowing over the bed at night.

Think it's the blood alcohol levels, word gets around in mozzy circles. laugh.png

I remember to read, in the good old days when India was a colony of Great Britain an English officer said about the Mosquito problem.

"The first half of the night you have to drink so much, that you do not care and feel the stings of the Mosquitoes

and the second half of the night, the Mosquitoes are so drunk, that they cannot find you!"wink.png

• Like 2

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

just dont ask for the ingredients and you will be fine i unkowingly ate noo rat once tasted ok till my girl told what we just had for dinner her family found it very amusing watching me bring up dinner,

I was reading a similar story, here in a Thai Visa thread.

A man posted,

he was asked by his Thai GF/Wife, if she shall take some rats with them for the upcoming road trip from Isaan to Bangkok to visit relatives.

The man replied, "Up to you, if you like, you know, I do not eat that stuff anyway!"

His GF/wife answered,

"Really? But you did eat them the last three days without a problem and good appetite in that "Goulash style stuff" I served you. tongue.png

• Like 2

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

just dont ask for the ingredients and you will be fine i unkowingly ate noo rat once tasted ok till my girl told what we just had for dinner her family found it very amusing watching me bring up dinner,

I was reading a similar story, here in a Thai Visa thread.

A man posted,

he was asked by his Thai GF/Wife, if she shall take some rats with them for the upcoming road trip from Isaan to Bangkok to visit relatives.

The man replied, "Up to you, if you like, you know, I do not eat that stuff anyway!"

His GF/wife answered,

"Really? But you did eat them the last three days without a problem and good appetite in that "Goulash style stuff" I served you. tongue.png

w00t.gif

Just read through the comments. Good God , why would anybody want to live like that. It beggers belief but i guess much younger fluff as a partner has lots to do with it. My advise , go take a look for a few weeks. It'll be an experience you'll never forget. Then high tail it to somewhere resembling normality..

It is normal.Just not for you.

• Like 2

Fix the place up, they'll break everything soon enough

So true.Happened to me.

I can't 'fix or install' anything of substance at the Farm, because I am a guest and respect that.

However, I understand your thoughts.

Last Christmas I bought over a 'Kerplunk' game because easy for the kids to play and we had a ball for the first few days.

When I arrived at the Farm this time (about 11 months later) I'd thought that it'd be fun to play again .

DOH ... silly me ... shock1.gif

The youngest (5 yo) had got hold of it, somehow broke the body of the unit and all the sticks and marbles are well gone ... dry.png

Such is life.

• Like 1

I agree about the rats being too expensive to waste on the likes of us! Here are a few photos from my local market with rats selling at 150 baht each. http://www.memock.com/2012/11/28/rat-season-in-thailand/

That is some serious money in these parts. I figured it must taste really good for that price so last night when my BIL shot one I had to try it. Silly decision that was - the taste was pretty awful and worst yet was that it lingered for hours! Only vegemite could get rid of the taste!

I had some om gnoo ( rat and dill stew ) , it was prepared with ma lat ( bitter melon ) and so I couldn't really taste the rat . The elders in the village love the bitter taste .

Is it something that you would eat again?

I had some om gnoo ( rat and dill stew ) , it was prepared with ma lat ( bitter melon ) and so I couldn't really taste the rat . The elders in the village love the bitter taste .

Is it something that you would eat again?

I would take a bit of the sauce with sticky rice .

Is it any good roasted ?