How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on the level of dwelling you're staying in, don't be surprised to find mouse turds in bed, giant lizards on the ceiling, gecko turds dropping on the table, having to wear your clothes to bed in winter...and hope you like getting up early because the poo yai will be saying 'good morning' bright and early. Quite lovely when nursing a hangover...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I agree with all the above apart from the mouse droppings in the bed. I reckon as long as you are not a slob (like the above poster it seems) there will be no mice near the bed.

totster smile.png

Plenty of frogs on the bed though.

The roosters have no sense of time after midnight, I do sometimes dream of a shotgun. Bare hands would do round their necks but of course Pa-I-L fighting cocks so not a good idea.

I can remember hole in the floor loo's in France about 40 years back. sad.png

Doesn't Japan still have this 'squat' style of toilet used regularly now-a-days?

yes they do. but these toilets are flushed. no bin next to them with paper and "remnants" wink.png

Doesn't Japan still have this 'squat' style of toilet used regularly now-a-days?

yes they do. but these toilets are flushed. no bin next to them with paper and "remnants" wink.png

I think the trap is as important as the flush. One advantage of a seated throne is the ability to install an S-trap behind it, to isolate oneself from the sewer, and its resident germs, crocodiles and soiled budgerigars

SC

" I have lived in countless places over here in Thailand and toilets are much the same ". Like i said some people have no standards. I wouldn't live in such a shithole my friend ( excuse the pun ) no matter which part of Thailand it was. To answer your other post. I have 3 toilets in my house. All Western standard and spotlessly clean. 1 downstairs with sink , 1 upstairs with sink and shower and 1 en-suite in the bedroom. I'm not blinkered at all and what the hell has toilets from years ago at the end of the garden got to do with today's standards. Even then it wasn't an upturned traffic cone swirling with a thousand flies. Maybe you still use an abacus to count and watch black n white TV. You can keep your filth and third world living conditions. May you be long happy slopping shit out of the minging cone.

A little harsh, don't you think. sad.png

i agree that "nanapongs" tirade is not only a little but quite harsh. nevertheless i endorse his comment

I wouldn't live in such a shithole my friend

and add/quantify "not even for one day if there is an alternative".

• Like 1

When I read back though this posts, I noticed that we 'liked' many of the same posts so I invite you for a beer if ever we should meet ... drunk.gif

To everyone (including you) ... keep that advice coming ... biggrin.png

Thanks for the nice Post, the meeting will be difficult as you are, "somewhere" not far from the sea? That are a lot of Kilometres in TH.rolleyes.gif

So, not really a problem,up to you what you write of your Private Life. JC_gimmefive.gif

Thread gone off topic. We have now arrived at Toilets/Feces in general. A courages soul should now start a new topic. Something like "feces an the disposal of them in Thailand".

For starters: Take a swim in Pattaya-Beach and realize, that while doing so, you will never again be in closer bodily contact with Coli-Bacteria, than using any Scwat or other Toilet in Thailand.

Cheers.

They are also used in Pakistan, Bangladesh and quite a few middle eastern countries as well.

Sometimes known as 'the Persian version' or 'Farsi khazi' biggrin.png

Great intellectual discussion this became, thanks guys. I am sorry for the OP.

Using words like 'BS' and so forth during an argument really gives me an insight into people's character.

especially when none of the discussed toilet facilities is used by bulls.

I admit crap is a big thing, so i guess i have to go along with it(in this sub thread).

Can i add that i think cleaning up using water after doing the job is a lot more hygienic then just rubbing it down with some papers and walk around carrying the dry remnants all day.

I admit crap is a big thing, so i guess i have to go along with it(in this sub thread).

Can i add that i think cleaning up using water after doing the job is a lot more hygienic then just rubbing it down with some papers and walk around carrying the dry remnants all day.

That doesn't happen with me. I'm the one perfect asshol_e in the group.

That doesn't happen with me. I'm the one perfect asshol_e in the group.

Indeed, interesting.

Without the internet isolation will set in...

Luckily, internet, unless there is a storm, won't be a problem ... so that's one saving grace ... smile.png

We arn't married, but I'll use the term Mother-In-Law (MIL)

The MIL and I get on fine ... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

In the past, my lady always made sure there were some Thai Fish Cakes around.

So some spicy is OK ... a lot of spice is a problem ... sick.gif

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

My wife and I were at " THE VILLAGE " a couple of weeks ago.

It is about 2.5 hours east and a little south of Khon Kean and around 1.5 hours westish of Roi-Et.

It is very primative and very messy but also very friendly in its own way.

I have found it very hard going in the past so havent been for a few years.

Usually my wife who speaks quite good English, begins to have trouble putting 2 words together.

There are no other people in the village that speak English.

Food is my biggest problem.

If you can eat what they eat good luck to you ( I do know some who can ).

We have a freezer up there now so I get some loaves of bread,ham, cheese, cans of baked beans/spag and anything else that I can cook on a 1 element stove. No Thai food where I go only Issan.

One thing that allways seems to get to me is sitting on hard surfaces.

I am thin and need some padding under my bum. At the village they only sit on hard cane platforms or the floor.

It may be a good idea to take one of those fold out camp seats at least you can leanback on something.

1 week is the longest I can stand there but to stave off the boredom I brought a motorbike and this helps.

At least you can get out and look around a bit. Maybe you can borrow one it really helps.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Don't worry about if you can't eat what the family eat Dave,there are plenty of very good meals that can be made without going to the 7-11.Plenty of fresh vegetables,fish, meat and eggs.I am sure that your little lady will make you meal fit for a king.

One subject that I don't think has been covered so far in this thread is the drinking water.You say that you are well off the beaten track,so i am presuming that the water comes from a bore hole or maybe even stored rain water.be careful with your stomach,maybe not such a bad idea to stock up on plenty of bottled water....just a thought.

Shaggy

• Like 1

^^

Thanks Shaggy1969.

Water is something that I am careful about.

Like you say, they capture water from the roof and stored in large earthern urns.

They then run it through a filter ... though, this being Thailand, I'm sure the filter has never been replaced ... ermm.gif

That said ... I have tried 1/2 a cup or two on various visits and yet to be sick.

But, that 5 litre bottle from TESCO most likely will be bought on the first shopping trip.

When I went to Mumbai, I fully expected to get sick. For the first few days I was scrupulous, but by the tenth day I was using tap water to clean my teeth and eating in the works canteen. It's nOt just a question of standards, but also acclimitisation. Indians suffer a little looseness when they first come to the UK, so I'm told

SC

From shitting to drinking, Shaggy put some power in this wonderful thread.

I speculate SC knows what i am going to talk about because he mentioned the word acclimatization(i had to copy past that)wai.gif. Thanks sport.

When you are there day 1 sip a little bit of stored rainwater. Day 2 drink 1/2 a glass.

Then wait...If you are not shitting fluids and feel ok you can build up the local bacteria tolerance and enjoy more rainwater. This way you also help your bodily immune system to build up (local)bacteria resistance. If your body still is ok then drink more of the local water.

If your body can' t handle the "jungle water" then resort to bottled water. Only then... Because personally i think water companies add too many strange unknown additives to bottled water.

Drink from the well and you know what you ingest.

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

From shitting to drinking, Shaggy put some power in this wonderful thread.

I speculate SC knows what i am going to talk about because he mentioned the word acclimatization(i had to copy past that)wai.gif. Thanks sport.

When you are there day 1 sip a little bit of stored rainwater. Day 2 drink 1/2 a glass.

Then wait...If you are not shitting fluids and feel ok you can build up the local bacteria tolerance and enjoy more rainwater. This way you also help your bodily immune system to build up (local)bacteria resistance. If your body still is ok then drink more of the local water.

If your body can' t handle the "jungle water" then resort to bottled water. Only then... Because personally i think water companies add too many strange unknown additives to bottled water.

Drink from the well and you know what you ingest.

Most water contains some bacteria, it is a question of how much. I was planning on buying an expensive water filter but now after a few months drinking unfiltered water (plus beer) I have had no ill effects. There was a report recently showing that in some places 50% of filtered water for sale contained unacceptable levels of bacteria. More to worry about is the level of pesticide residues (arsenic for example), heavy metals and so on. You'll see - on my first visit here I drank water that was on the restaurant table and was ill.

The water here is variable.

I have been numerous times and got the runs like anyone else did when I first visited ... until my immune system built up the necessary resistance.

Some folk get super keen and only use bottled water on their toothbrush ... blink.png

I grab a local meal and they would offer water with ice from the Blue Barrel and eventually I got game enough to drink that ... again no problem.

Then went to my local vendor from some time ago because, even though they didn't speak any English ... always smile, a wave and they took care of me.

So chomping away on their pork noodles and grabbed a glass of their water ... an hour or two later ... wasn't game to fart for the next week!

My soloution will be exactly what the suggestion was above ... thumbsup.gif ... try a bit of the Farm's rain water, wait, if good, try a bit more.

An important tip that I forgot in the last post. When you notice yourself walking in circles, swap the hose over into the other pant leg and boot. Oh yeah, dont pull the draw strings up too tight as that action may cause the top end of the hose to become dislodged and if the hose is full result in a back siphoning and leave a stream of fluids that will lead anyone of spots it straight back to you.

• Like 1