How Do I Survive Living At The Farm ... Tips And Tricks Please!

David48

Without the internet isolation will set in...

Luckily, internet, unless there is a storm, won't be a problem ... so that's one saving grace ... smile.png

We arn't married, but I'll use the term Mother-In-Law (MIL)

The MIL and I get on fine ... but how did you cope with the food served when you first went there?

In the past, my lady always made sure there were some Thai Fish Cakes around.

So some spicy is OK ... a lot of spice is a problem ... sick.gif

I do wish to look like I fit in ... but also want to some palatable food.

just dont ask for the ingredients and you will be fine i unkowingly ate noo rat once tasted ok till my girl told what we just had for dinner her family found it very amusing watching me bring up dinner,

I can understand you wanting to fit in,but you also need to enjoy the food that you are eating.There are plenty of meals that can be cooked without using chili,.....

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can understand you wanting to fit in,but you also need to enjoy the food that you are eating.There are plenty of meals that can be cooked without using chili,.....

So far, haven't touched the Corn Flakes or the Oats I bought from home.

With so many mouths to be fed at the table there are so many choices for food so everyday, good so far.

I'm a long time visitor to Thailand ... but the first time I've stayed at the Farm for more then the odd night.

What is so nice is how accommodating everyone is. The kids hang around and smile a lot and say that they 'feel poor for me' with the mossie bites'.

About making the Farm House mossie proof ... fat chance. The sparrows use it as a runway!

• Like 1

Oh, when been in a Resort on Coral Island (in front of Phuket) they told at check in: "american breakfast is from 7:30 to 10:00" and I just asked when I can get Thai breakfast...

I love my khaao dtohm gai or khaao dtohm seefood.

For the mossies I got the luck that they get evenly distributed between my GF and me giggle.gif

Bye,

Derk

Mozzies always go to the warmest part of the room. We use a fan after the A/C is switched off, I think I got bitten once in three months. Mosquito screens, eliminating stagnant water around the house (the b*****s) fly up to 2 Km), ... Deet is a potent poison, so should be used with restraint.

Even in that article they admit to no knowledge of it harming humans, despite 70 years of widespread use.

Of course the scientists and others would complain about it. Any patent if any would have expired and there's no money in Deet for them. I swear that if it was found that pure water would deter insects, they'd tell me that it was bad for me unless they could patent and sell the idea themselves.

Actually I worry about this (DEET and the potential build-up in one's body) myself.

It's a losing battle with the mozzies here.

The first day I was just in shorts and a quick spray and got hammered and the bites stay with me for 3 or 4 days ... longer if I break the skin.

Now I live in track suit pants all day with socks on and the exposed parts of the body with a deet based repellent, those incense style sticks burning and the fan 24/7.

They still bite me through the socks, somehow get up inside the shirt sleeve, bite me across the shoulders and the knees where the fabric is pulled a little tighter against the skin.

Get you when having a shower (well what counts for a shower at the farm), sitting on the loo ... the leisurely read of the newspaper there is a distant memory now ... ermm.gif

The only genuine respite is at night under the mozzie net when I can feel partly human.

They even get my fingers after I go to the bathroom, wash my hands ... then forget to replace the lotion ... dry.png

Not going to let them beat me though ... but I do worry about the amount of Deet used and the potential harmeful cumulative effects.

Actually I worry about this (DEET and the potential build-up in one's body) myself.

It's a losing battle with the mozzies here.

The first day I was just in shorts and a quick spray and got hammered and the bites stay with me for 3 or 4 days ... longer if I break the skin.

Now I live in track suit pants all day with socks on and the exposed parts of the body with a deet based repellent, those incense style sticks burning and the fan 24/7.

They still bite me through the socks, somehow get up inside the shirt sleeve, bite me across the shoulders and the knees where the fabric is pulled a little tighter against the skin.

Get you when having a shower (well what counts for a shower at the farm), sitting on the loo ... the leisurely read of the newspaper there is a distant memory now ... ermm.gif

The only genuine respite is at night under the mozzie net when I can feel partly human.

They even get my fingers after I go to the bathroom, wash my hands ... then forget to replace the lotion ... dry.png

Not going to let them beat me though ... but I do worry about the amount of Deet used and the potential harmeful cumulative effects.

A very mozzie attractive friend from FNQ used to swear by a mixture of baby oil ,citronella and a dash of dettol.

Another swore by the internal approach ,one bottle of good claret aday,he swore that it gave great protection from mozzies and sandflies.

• Like 1

Sorry did not bother to read through all the posts so if this has been mentioned my apologies. Learn to speak Isan (quickly) if you can. Took me a while (6 months or so) but it makes life a lot easier (and more fun). In my household Laos is predominant that is why I mentioned Isan but learning Thai will be very helpful.

If you are going to be here long term learn to read and write Thai as well.I find it very helpful when the shop owner does not understand my strange accent I write out what I want. Talk about a surprised look when I am writing out words in Thai that the shop owner does not know.

I know it is not much of a help but i tell you how i handle mozzie bites:

Insn' t there some way for you Dave to ignore those mozzies? That's what i have been trying to do and it usually works. When they bite me i ignore the pain and itchiness. When the bite is too annoying i scratch so much until it bleeds and the pain takes over. When i have to choose between itchy and pain i choose pain first.. Try to live with the mozzies... I never use creams or lotions or deet, i don't think nature meant it this way.

Hang in there!!

Insn' t there some way for you Dave to ignore those mozzies? That's what i have been trying to do and it usually works. When they bite me i ignore the pain and itchiness. When the bite is too annoying i scratch so much until it bleeds and the pain takes over. When i have to choose between itchy and pain i choose pain first.. Try to live with the mozzies... I never use creams or lotions or deet, i don't think nature meant it this way.

Hang in there!!

What ??

totster crazy.gif

Nope. My step-thru goes to the front of every set of red lights. My travel times have only been slowed down due to the increase in traffic lights, not the actual traffic.

If I had to drive a car, I would have gone mad.

Now you have gone straight to the crux of the matter. All the motor bikes squeeze up to the front of the lights and gum up the works. They leave much less times for the cars to get through sad.png

But you do understand, that the extra slot, direct in front off the traffic lights, is there, so that motorcycles 'squeeze' themselves into the front row, don't you?

They even painting motorcycles on the road now. And how should a motorcycles driver see that, from the end of the road, that a queue jumping car/minibus driver used it?

So they have to line beside and in front of them giggle.gif

btw: I do so, too, if on a motorcycle. Exactly in front of them and waiting for green. With an extra check, if there isn't a red light runner coming, before starting to drive.whistling.gif

Good luck...

Hang in there!!

What ??

totster crazy.gif

]

Trying to raise the subject on ignoring mosquito bites. What do you think?

Hang in there!!

What ??

totster crazy.gif

]

Trying to raise the subject on ignoring mosquito bites. What do you think?

I do understand what you (Dancealot) are trying to achieve ... I did try that myself also ... but with limited success. My flesh is weak ... unsure.png

The itchiness seems to come in waves.

The most frustrating bit is that I don't actually feel myself being bitten ... but, about 24 hours later it starts and cycles a few times over the next few days.

Exactly the same pattern that I get with midge bites I get back in my country.

Anyone who suffers from this understand the 'cycling in bed' ... trying to relieve the itch ... ohmy.png

I could think of things to do in bed to relieve the itch.

honey...I've got an itch.

Mate ... I'm hearing you ... unfortunately ... so does the whole Farm ... not exactly the type to go quietly.

Just thought I'd share that ... rolleyes.gif

But that said ... there are a few windows of opportunity and the Farm Folk here have a fairly regular pattern.

Moving right along ... whistling.gif

BTW ... nice to see you back and posting on the Forum.

• Like 1

Insn' t there some way for you Dave to ignore those mozzies? That's what i have been trying to do and it usually works.

Regardless of pain or iritation are you not concerned about dengue fever, or even malaria?

I just sing Elvis stuff and they bugger off. smile.png
  • Like 1

Insn' t there some way for you Dave to ignore those mozzies? That's what i have been trying to do and it usually works.

Regardless of pain or iritation are you not concerned about dengue fever, or even malaria?

uhuh

I did hear someone say that they heard the ole' trans regale them with his vocal abilities.

Mumbled something along the lines of "sounded like geese farts on a foggy morning" ... hearsay report only ... whistling.gif

I did hear someone say that they heard the ole' trans regale them with his vocal abilities.

Mumbled something along the lines of "sounded like geese farts on a foggy morning" ... hearsay report only ... whistling.gif

Nooooooooo w00t.gif , it was foggy farts on a geese morning. intheclub.gif

Unless you eat 1/2kilo of chillies/garlic/ginger everyday you will never be free of mossies bites, i dont eat a lot of issan food, and the only protection i have from mossies is a 20% Dettoll ,80% cheap after shower skin moisterizer, mix this together in a diffueser bottle and spray on bare skin,

Ok, it might smell like a pox doctors clinic at first, but the smell wears off quick and you will be protected for up to 4 hours, Ive been using this for 5 years now, and unless i forget, no irritating bites,,

lot better than the DDT chemical <deleted> i used to use,,,

I reckon I'm up for giving some of these home repellant recipes a try.

What I have found is that where the mozzie bites me I cover that angle and then it finds the next weakest point in my armor.

Lickey and (from memory) Crossy had one also ... so I'm up to giving them both a try.