New Parks Chief Cuts Entry Fees To 29 National Parks: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

My daughter has blond hair, blue eyes and is as white as the Irish and gets the Thai price.

That is cause she is a Thai citizen.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Simple mind! And do you pretend that she had not to show her ID or passport? I bet for everything I have that she had to show it and that the document was very meticulously (suspiciously) examined...

I entered many parks with my Lao and Cambodian friends... They are foreigners as well. You think they asked them anything? ID or passport? NO, a look was enough. They entered at the Thai price, hardly understanding Thai language which still for them was not a problem...

Isn't that racism? In the purest form!

• Like 1

The whole issue of Racism applied Nationally by the Thai Government and their people is a disgrace. I have reached the view that the Thai Government's intention is to keep foreigners out of their National parks.

The most damaging insult of all is that the 10 times multiplier is punitive to foreigners that retired to Thailand. When we are lining up to pay our 10 x' surcharge we are surrounded by Thai families with substantially higher income's than ourselves.

The whole frigging Thai Nation seems to hate our guts and enjoy putting us down,

Now they want to throw us out of our houses and give them to Thai people. It's an Irrational policy. We were single on arrival and had to finance the purchase our house through a limited liability company which at that time was the only way we could legally buy a house. The attitude of the politicians is that's why you can own your condo. If the prospect for me was to live in a condo these past 20 years I would have gone to Malaysia, not racist Thailand. (A Regurgitated Taksin policy).

Edited by indyuk
  • Like 1

Does your letter work at Kaeng Krachan?? If so, can I have a copy... I have been to numorous N/Ps in Thailand and KK is the only one which will not let me in without the farang tax.... Has any one ever got in there for Thai price ??????

I have a letter from the former DG of the National Parks and Plant Conservation Department (in English) informing me that it is the policy of the department to allow in the future the foreigners who are living in Thailand to enter the National Parks at the same fee as the Thai. That is wishful thinking [if not sheer nonsense] because at almost every entry boot they look at you with an eye: "YOU, FARANG, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE TENFOLD AND I DON'T GIVE A dam_n ABOUT YOUR LETTER. I AM THE BOSS HERE !!!"

Since then, I only go to parks where it works (pay same fee as Thaisch) and the trick is: go first to pick up your entry ticket at the boot of another park or another entry and then hurry back to the boot (weher they refused to give you the same fee as for the Thaisch) because an entry ticket is valid for all parks the same day!!! Interesting for the Rachaphrapab dam site where on top of your boat fee (1,500 THB), you still have to pay the entry fee for the Khao Sok national park (400 THB). There is an other entry at he Khao Sok national park some km further along the pitoresque road nr. 401 at following GPS:

8 gr. 54' 17.82" N

98 gr. 39' 43.23" E

and you only pay 40 THB (show Thai driving license).

Does your letter work at Kaeng Krachan?? If so, can I have a copy... I have been to numorous N/Ps in Thailand and KK is the only one which will not let me in without the farang tax.... Has any one ever got in there for Thai price ??????

The reason for the reversal was due to the disparity of the increase that was signed last September.

They are recognizing now that they made a grave mistake by erroneously having increased the Thai fees by a higher percentage than the Foreigner fees.

Entrance fees for the country's most popular national parks will increase 150% for Thais

National Park Entrance Fees Take A Price Hike

http://www.thaivisa....ce-hike-of-150/

Now with the fees back to the old 10 to 1 rate, instead of the erroneous change to a 5 to 1 rate, they are more comfortable.

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

My daughter has blond hair, blue eyes and is as white as the Irish and gets the Thai price.

You can explain this to the ignorant fools on this thread over and over again, and still they'll never understand. There are plenty of tourist-heavy places in the USA that charges resident and non-resident rates, including government parks and such. Standard procedure, the world over. Not a racial issue, except to the most rabid Thai-haters, who themselves are racist tightwads.

geez.... speaking of "rabid". blink.png

Are you capable of discussing at less than roar?

The day that all entrants to national parks produce ID with nationality designated is the day they can declare the policy not racist.

Until then, the actual practice of allowing Asians, that are not Thai, but pay the Thai rate unquestioned will continue amidst justified calls of racism.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

Simple mind! And do you pretend that she had not to show her ID or passport? I bet for everything I have that she had to show it and that the document was very meticulously (suspiciously) examined...

My mind might be simple, but at least it isn't feeble.

Hand over your cash sonny.

The only time I need to show my daughters Thai passport is at immigration.

I drive up and say (in Thai) two Thai tickets please. They hand them over and we are done.

And even if I did (which I don't) then so what? Someone said the policy was racist. My daugther clearly isn't your bog standard looking Thai. But she still gets the price she is entitled to, despite her appearance.

yep - she's the one in the middle just to rub it in some more....

post-441-0-70733100-1351757376_thumb.jpg

Edited by samran

Stop complaining about two tier pricing instead, lobby your friends, and realtions and government to impose the same but only for thais when they are overseas, charge them ten times the price for everything and also get the local lads to hassle up any thais that they come across, this will teach them a lesson.

I entered many parks with my Lao and Cambodian friends... They are foreigners as well. You think they asked them anything? ID or passport? NO, a look was enough. They entered at the Thai price, hardly understanding Thai language which still for them was not a problem...

Isn't that racism? In the purest form!

It is.

Additionally, I've witnessed the practice being extended to Chinese and other Asians, even Japanese.

No questioning = Thai rate.

I pay on average 1200 - 1500 Euros for a ticket to Khon Kaen via BKK. When I can´t afford 10,00 to visit a National Park, I better stay home.

Personally, I'd pay twice as that for a visit there and see this beautyful nature.

We all, the tourists - help Thailand to keep these parks

I pay on average 1200 - 1500 Euros for a ticket to Khon Kaen via BKK. When I can´t afford 10,00 to visit a National Park, I better stay home.

Personally, I'd pay twice as that for a visit there and see this beautyful nature.

We all, the tourists - help Thailand to keep these parks

It is not the point that people cannot afford to pay the prices for what is on offer. The disgust comes from paying the higher price, especially when they are a legitimate resident or when the price for what you get is so far away from what is available in other countries for a lower price that people cannot in good conscience pay for substandard (when compared to their home parks) national park facilities. That is what I believe is the point.

As far as helping Thailand to keep these parks... If Thailand needs tourist money to keep these parks then they need to do a better job with customer service by offering better prices and better facilities. Charging an entry fee of 10x more is lunacy.

Many places I go, if I show my card that proves I pay income tax here in Thailand, then I am admitted for the same price as a Thai person.

But sometimes I am told 400 baht and I then show the card and the person then says ' Ah, Ok.... 400 Baht'

It seems to differ every place you go. Up to the admissions clerk.

You can explain this to the ignorant fools on this thread over and over again, and still they'll never understand. There are plenty of tourist-heavy places in the USA that charges resident and non-resident rates, including government parks and such. Standard procedure, the world over. Not a racial issue, except to the most rabid Thai-haters, who themselves are racist tightwads.

In that case I shall not visit those dual-priced venues in the USA either, just as I have refused to visit dual-priced facilities in Thailand.

It is not a "standard procedure, the world over" to multi-tier prices according to nationality.

Entrance to National Parks throughout the British Isles is free to everyone - on foot or in a vehicle.

A fee is required to use many (but not all) constructed facilities - but, even visitor centres, museums, cultural exhibitions etc. are often free to enter - they are funded from voluntary (non-compulsory) donations, gift and information shop retail sales, news and "friendship" subscriptions, etc.

Incidentally, I have also visited National Parks in China and France and in several Central American countries where there is no admission fee, and frequently only a road-side sign that lets you know you've entered the park.

The Thai model of charging everyone for everything is not global, but is indicative of an immature national development and economy. If all Thais were to correctly declare their incomes and pay appropriate taxes, these types of tertiary taxation (entrance fees to visit national assets) would not be necessary for running them, nor for supplementing the salary of central government employed, local managers.

• Like 1

The parks and zoos etc are that overpriced now in OZ that they would not be game to charge visitors more.

Because it is so expensive here now, they are loosing customers. Aussies are overpaid that much, is why prices are so high.

They can afford to pay the price here, where the average Thai cant pay the TB400.

Actually Aussies can't afford to pay the exhorbitantly high prices that are imposed everywhere,... from govt gate fees to buying a sandwich, not to mention the ridiculous price of property and the inherent taxes on everything.

They pay through the nose because they have no choice,.. not because their income is higher!

As a matter of interest, when I was holidaying in China earlier this year, I was often asked to show my ID at park entrances. I flourished my Aussie driver's licence, and in the majority of cases, they let me in for free, as I'm over 65!

However, in Australia we have 'residents' and 'non-resident' fees for museums and art galleries, and large discounts for Seniors. But, certainly not 10x the local fees.

Thai national parks charged based on residency, not nationality or race.

Not quite true. I have lived, worked and paid taxes here for 13 years now. I have a Thai drivers licence, work permit, and social security card. Even having presented all those, I was still asked to pay the so-called "foreigner" price about half the time. It's simply insulting when I think back on how much income tax I have paid, and such an unpleasant experience that I don't even bother going to national parks now.

In that case I walk away and take my 10 Thai relatives with me at the same time! They also don't like the idea of a Thai tax payer paying 10 times the local rate. My monthly tax would pay half of that officials monthly salary! Besides that, I'm spoiled for beautiful natural landscape in my own country and won't pay a cent to see some of the lousy national parks here...

As a matter of interest, when I was holidaying in China earlier this year, I was often asked to show my ID at park entrances. I flourished my Aussie driver's licence, and in the majority of cases, they let me in for free, as I'm over 65!

However, in Australia we have 'residents' and 'non-resident' fees for museums and art galleries, and large discounts for Seniors. But, certainly not 10x the local fees.

it makes sense because non-residents don't pay tax for upkeep.....but asking those of us who pay lots of tax here is a bit much. Is it really that hard to madate? Show your work permit and get the local rate? After all, the percentage of residents vs tourists is rather small, probably less that 0.1%, so their revenue loss is tiny.

I speak as an American who lives here. I challenge any reader to show an instance where dual pricing for public facility use is charged there. I will leave it to ethicists to determine if Thailand's policy is moral. If I wish to enjoy some facility, I simply pay the difference. I do not like it, and do not think it is encouraging of tourism. We can moan and whine all we wish, but it is what it is here. I have been charged a farang price in many things besides the Parks. I do not say it is right or justifiable, but it is simply the cost of living here. With my pension I still live a lot better here than in my country of origin. I am personally exercised by far greater frustrations in living here than this. I had a haircut yesterday for the cost of $1.3 which was better than I previously paid $18 in the US. Life is that way here- on some things we are better off, some not so.

Educated Thais have known about the issue for a long time.

Unfortunately, the very reasonable and sensible recommendations have never been followed by the bureaucrats.

Dr. Adis Israngkura, an economist at Chiang Mai University and a consultant to Thailand's first and foremost "think tank" (Thailand Development Research Institute) conducted a research project for TDRI on this very topic and wrote the paper, "Determining Entrance Fees to National Parks: The Case of Thailand".

The paper, published in 2001, made the following recommendations:

1. Higher fees, for all, to the more popular parks with many facilities, which can subsidize the smaller parks with very few facilities.

2. Higher fees, for all, on long week-ends/holidays when parks tend to be heavily visited to help ease congestion and lessen environmental degradation, which will result in increased visitor satisfaction.

3. Annual memberships and lifetime memberships should be offered and available to all.

4. Both Thai and foreigners should pay the same entrance fee, but special services should be made available to the foreign visitor for additional higher fees, such as English-speaking tour/travel guides or English-language information booklets/maps. "The current policy unnecessarily jeopardizes the the image of the overall tourism industry."

5. Entrances fees should be exempted for the elderly, the handicapped, and children visiting on school trips.

Edited by Buchholz

Stop complaining about two tier pricing instead, lobby your friends, and realtions and government to impose the same but only for thais when they are overseas, charge them ten times the price for everything and also get the local lads to hassle up any thais that they come across, this will teach them a lesson.

are you serious ??,.........there is so much PC in the EU now , we cant even call a blackboard a blackboard ,....as for getting ''local lads to hassle '' them ,........probably looking at 6months in the big house for racism .........what planet you on ????

Educated Thais have known about the issue for a long time.

Unfortunately, the very reasonable and sensible recommendations have never been followed by the bureaucrats.

Dr. Adis Israngkura, an economist at Chiang Mai University and a consultant to Thailand's first and foremost "think tank" (Thailand Development Research Institute) conducted a research project for TDRI on this very topic and wrote the paper, "Determining Entrance Fees to National Parks: The Case of Thailand".

The paper, published in 2001, made the following recommendations:

1. Higher fees, for all, to the more popular parks with many facilities, which can subsidize the smaller parks with very few facilities.

2. Higher fees, for all, on long week-ends/holidays when parks tend to be heavily visited to help ease congestion and lessen environmental degradation, which will result in increased visitor satisfaction.

3. Annual memberships and lifetime memberships should be offered and available to all.

4. Both Thai and foreigners should pay the same entrance fee, but special services should be made available to the foreign visitor for additional higher fees, such as English-speaking tour/travel guides or English-language information booklets/maps. "The current policy unnecessarily jeopardizes the the image of the overall tourism industry."

5. Entrances fees should be exempted for the elderly, the handicapped, and children visiting on school trips.

ok,..good ideas, but just one mans opinion / ideas right ? , my money says it will never happen in my lifetime .

Damrong[/color]' timestamp='1351751912' post='5803462']

As per Damrong, admission fees to 29 national parks were set at Bt100 per Thai adult, Bt50 per Thai child, Bt500 per foreign adult and Bt300 per foreign child. However, Rerngchai cancelled the order and reverted to the old rate: Bt40 per Thai adult, Bt20 per Thai child, Bt400 per foreign adult and Bt200 per foreign child.

I don't recall ever paying Bt400 to enter a park, but it has been a while. In any case, we headed off to a park when my mother was visiting, when my wife saw the rates she said no. There were 10 of us. The last time we went to the same park the parking lot was full, this time the parking lot was empty, which I thought was odd as it was a holiday too. It seems everyone except a few farang thought the new prices were too steep.

So I guess the parks department shot itself in the foot with the price increase and instead of bringing in more money it drove visitors away, along with all their money, not just entrance fees, but food and everything else they pay for when they visit a park.

Today we visited Kaeng Krachan National Park. My wife approached the counter with both of our Thai driving license and the lady ticket clerk said 400baht. She would not accept the Thai driving license from a Thai. My wife had to come back to the car and dig out her ID card.

It was 200 baht for me and 40 baht for my wife (a Thai National) I smiled and said god try.

The ticket clerk informed my wife that next year it was going up to 500 baht for Farangs. A decision made by the government.

Its bloody annoying and I wouldn't pay 500baht.

I only read the first page of this thread. You pay to get into a park and find bars, resorts and company illegally installed immediately behind the entrance. There is no literature or advice available, I would willingly buy a book or two about local geology, flora and flora. No guided tours, no pedagogic pathway, no visible enthusiasm for wildlife / environmental issues anywhere. I am glad that the leadership of the parks has changed, I find it difficult that the guy ever got a job.

Try googling Wild Life friends Thailand.

• Like 1