"simple" Divorce From Thai Wife

Babe Ruth

I will soon be getting divorced from my Thai wife. We have been married for less than a year.

We do not own land, house, et al. In fact, the only assets I have in Thailand are, my PC, an expensive large screen TV and a Surround Sound system. I have had a savings account at Bangkok Bank with a large amound of money in it. But, I closed the account and showed the paper work to my wife and told her I sent the money in the account to my son in the US. Oh, importantly, we do not have children either.

We have verbally agreed to an equitable financial arrangement. I receive a pension each month. I will give her a few thousand baht a month. The amount is equal to about 70% of what she used to earn at the job she worked before our marriage (she resigned from her previous employer - a joint decision). So, if she can find work for 3,000 baht a month she will be slightly ahead of where she was before (although she would lack the company medical coverage she had before and would have to supplement that automatically provided for Thai citizens, if she so desired).

I would like to be sure that when we get divorced, I am not signing anything that will obligate me beyond what we have agreed to. I expect the documents at the Amphur are in Thai but maybe an English translation is provided as well???

If English translation is not provided, I will not sign anything. I will take the documents and have a translation made.

But, I am anxious to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience and can educate me a bit regarding anything I should consider including legal representation.

Hope someone is out there who can advise me on any actions I should take.

I should add, I am considering moving to another country. I will give her the monthly amount we agreed to regardless of where I am living. But, if I am concerned about any risk associated with Thai divorce (after hopefully receiving advise here). So, I wonder, is simply forgetting about divorce and going ahead and moving to another country be an option? (After this experience and given my age, I will not be interested in marrying again in the future)

Thanks for any input.

My understanding is that you can both go to the local Amphur office and

simply sign to say you are divorcing. Much the way you got married there.

There will probably be 2 copies, like there was for the marriage, and you

can have yours translated at your leisure.

If you are worried about what you will sign, then consult a lawyer and have

him/her read it through before you sign.

On the financial side it may be best to have the lawyer draw up an agreement for both parties to sign. Saves arguments later about what was agreed.

Edited by astral

Couple of mates have been divorced and as above straight forward .

If both agree to the deed you go along to the Amphur/Marriage Office and sign a divorce chitty and thats it.

It will be in Thai (U dont expect it in English ..do you?)and is an official LEGAL Thai Government Document (recognised Worldwide)...

2 minutes later ...You will then be LEGALLY DIVORCED...

Any financial agreement you make with you Ex wife should be a personal undertaking (honestly agreed) or dealt with via a lawyer (but should try to avoid it...)

g'day.

I'm a little green to Thai divorce, so I have a question?

Are you actually obligated (as there are no children resulting from your marriage) to maintain your wife financially after your divorced?

In my country if there are no children involved and the assets are duely dipersed then once the two parties are divorced of each other then there are no future obligations, financial or otherwise.

Curious....Damo.

Are you actually obligated (as there are no children resulting from your marriage) to maintain your wife financially after your divorced?
A settlement in the form of a one-time payment is more common.

In the case of the original poster, I understand that he is offering life-long maintenance of his own free will.

---------------

Maestro